[TV] Netflix's Daredevil (With Spoilers)

I just finished the series last night. It was so great! I liked that it was a complete story. I have been saying that for years that t.v. needs beginning and ends, not rambling multi-season drudgery.

I liked this season so much that a part of me wants them to just stop it here. It was so good that I don't think they can top it. BUT, I am super eager for more. I want them to show what Fisk was up to from when he was a kid until he makes his appearance in season one. I want to see DD become even more of a badass. I even want to see Nelson and Murdock "John Grisham" their way around a courtroom. (John Grisham is a verb)

I know we're Batmaned to death, but a none-origin batman show where he is a lot more detective bats done in this DD format would be so groovy.

Necronic

Staff member
Oh wow I never knew they were making a Jessica Jones show. This darned well better be the Alias, alcoholic, misanthropic, bad girlfriend material Jessica, not the "oh I have a baby and I'm a mommy now" Jessica[DOUBLEPOST=1430338730,1430338494][/DOUBLEPOST]Also holy cow the Owlsley thing. From the wiki page for The Owl

Leland Owlsley was once a successful financier and financial investor, nicknamed "The Owl of Wall Street" for his financial wisdom, until evidence of his tax evasion and crooked business deals were exposed by the IRS.
So yeah, that was the Owl. I guess.

Oh wow I never knew they were making a Jessica Jones show. This darned well better be the Alias, alcoholic, misanthropic, bad girlfriend material Jessica, not the "oh I have a baby and I'm a mommy now" Jessica.
From what I've been hearing, it sounds like a.k.a. Jessica Jones will be firmly based on the Alias series. In fact, David Tennant will be on the show as the Purple Man.

Necronic

Staff member
Hmm, I hope they don't start out with the Purple Man stuff, that came out way later in the Alias story line iirc, I really liked the way they opened it with the reader not really knowing anything about her. I also really hope its not just about her being a hero, because that was absolutely NOT what her series was about.

I'll be curious how well it works on screen though. One of the big draws of it was that it was a "behind the curtain" view of the minutia of the day to day lives of lots of the other heroes, like Danvers or Captain America. It humanized them in a way you've never really seen in comics. But the way they write the shows or movies these days they already do that, you just can't write a blockbuster with characters as paper thin as you found in comics, so a lot of the draw of Alias has already been handled. I mean if it was like a Marvel meets Bored to Death, that could be great. They'll have to be careful.

Hmm, I hope they don't start out with the Purple Man stuff, that came out way later in the Alias story line iirc, I really liked the way they opened it with the reader not really knowing anything about her. I also really hope its not just about her being a hero, because that was absolutely NOT what her series was about.

I'll be curious how well it works on screen though. One of the big draws of it was that it was a "behind the curtain" view of the minutia of the day to day lives of lots of the other heroes, like Danvers or Captain America. It humanized them in a way you've never really seen in comics. But the way they write the shows or movies these days they already do that, you just can't write a blockbuster with characters as paper thin as you found in comics, so a lot of the draw of Alias has already been handled. I mean if it was like a Marvel meets Bored to Death, that could be great. They'll have to be careful.
From what I've read and seen from on-set pics, it will be about Jessica Jones working as a detective. As for the Purple Man, I can understand featuring him in the first season. He is a big part of her backstory from what is revealed, and I figure that they would want to cover that before we get to the Defenders mini-series.

I never heard of Jessica Jones. I don't know how I missed it in all the years of collecting comics. I must have thought it was a "girly" comic and moved on. So, I am not quite so jazzed for it. I am looking forward to David Tennant though; he's always great.

I didn't know much of her till she was made into a more important character in the 2000's. I had no idea Alias was about her, either.

Personally, I'm waiting for Iron Fist. I hope they line up a great martial-art movie director and fight choreographer, because that one's got a shot at being the best action show on Netflix.

Alias is really all-around great, if you think you might be at all into a mildly noir deconstruction of super-hero life in NYC. It gave a really fascinating perspective into what it is like to be on the fringe of the super-power set in the Marvel universe without being a superhero/villain.

As a bonus, it is also one of the comics responsible for beginning the re-vitalization of Luke Cage into a "main" Marvel character. He doesn't get a lot of page time in Alias, but he's a large emotional presence.

And when Luke Cage and Jessica Jones have a kid, they hire Squirrel Girl as the nanny.
I'm eagerly awaiting Iron Fist because I want to see how Marvel portrays him. In the comics he's a wealthy heir to the Rand family business, his parents are killed in front of him, and he spends the next decade or so training his mind and body so that he can conquer his fear, avenge his parents, and fight crime. He's like Batman without a stick up his butt.

I never heard of Jessica Jones. I don't know how I missed it in all the years of collecting comics. I must have thought it was a "girly" comic and moved on. So, I am not quite so jazzed for it. I am looking forward to David Tennant though; he's always great.
No real surprise. She's one of Bendis's pet characters. Historically Purple Man was a bigger character in the Marvel Universe.

I just finished episode 3, and I don't want to spoil myself so I haven't read the previous posts, but I wanted to pop in to say...

AUUGGGGHHHHHH! on some of the fight/kill scenes in this. :Leyla:

Wait, one tiny question: the reconstruction they're doing on the West Side, is that because of the events in Avengers? It sounded like that, but then again, Mr. Z was yammering away on Destiny next to me, so I didn't get to hear everything in the pilot.

....okay, NOW I've finished the series, and can catch up with this thread. :D

Woo! Loved that! This was such a great series, I don't even know where to start. It took me a couple of episodes in to realize Matt was familiar to me because he was Tristan in Stardust. I think he makes an amazing Murdock, though I'm going to miss him wearing the black costume because dat ass it fits his character well. I'm not sure I love the red suit yet, but it's inevitable. Over-all, I think the casting is great, and D'onofrio's Fisk has blown me away. I'm a little sad we lost Wesley and Ben in order to raise the stakes. Their actors were perfect. (Leland...eh. Does this guy ever play a character that isn't annoying as hell?)

I love how so much of it was shot on location (though not always in Hell's Kitchen), but the free running/rooftop chase in Ep. 11 was a little distracting, because if those were the spots I think they were, he was running in circles for a bit. (The same way the opening of Clerks II drives me crazy because there's no way you can hit those buildings in that order!...but I digress.) Part of me would like to see Elektra next season, and part of me wants them to stay as far away from the mess that was the movies as possible. Also, as little of Frank Miller's run as possible, although as it was mentioned earlier in the thread, they may have already used some with Karen. (Thanks, Frank Miller. No woman goes un-whored, do they?:mad:)

Episode 3...
Was some INTENSE brutal shit. I was not expecting that.

7 episodes in thanks to being mostly immobile for the coming 2 months.

Loving it so far. Electra is wonderful. I hope she gets a better costume.

Also, I think I liked his mask better mostly black than the new mostly red one.

I'm 6 episodes in, but I still stand by my opinion that Jon Bernthal would have been a perfect Jesse Custer.

I keep asking where Rick is. :x

Also I'm on episode 7, but trapped in the political process until tonight so can't get farther.

Fuck, I think I cleared like 9 episodes before I forced myself to go to bed. I wanted to make the show last the weekend, at least, but so much for that.

GasBandit

Staff member
I love how in so many episodes there's a guy who's all freaking out "I gotta get outta Hell's Kitchen!" Uhhh, walk ten minutes in any direction, dude? Or better yet, just get on the subway instead of STEALING A CAR?!