New PETure Thread (aka: Pet Pic Thead)

I get that, and I’d never want to keep bees next to someone who doesn’t want them around. Especially if they’re allergic.

It’s a bit of a misconception that if you have a hive next door, you’ll have swarms of bees around though. I have 3 hives a couple hundred feet from my house, and we only see the bees occasionally.

I get that, and I’d never want to keep bees next to someone who doesn’t want them around. Especially if they’re allergic.

It’s a bit of a misconception that if you have a hive next door, you’ll have swarms of bees around though. I have 3 hives a couple hundred feet from my house, and we only see the bees occasionally.
That's what I expect, too...most of 'em are gonna stay in the brood box and super, and the foragers are gonna fly away to find stuff. I wouldn't think there'd be lots of bees just flying around the yard. But I already have one neighbor that's a shithead. I can imagine him putting up a big fuss about it.

Is there any way to put spaced bars or something across the hive entrance so that bees can enter/exit but bee-killing hornets can't? Or would that restrict queens/drones?

--Patrick

Is there any way to put spaced bars or something across the hive entrance so that bees can enter/exit but bee-killing hornets can't? Or would that restrict queens/drones?

--Patrick
You can. Just find some hardware cloth that’s smaller than the wasp and put it over the entrance, not sure what size you’d need though. By the looks of it, the hornet is big enough that you should be able to find something small enough to keep it out and let the queen move freely. You already need to do it to keep mice out, shouldn’t bother the bees.

What's more free-range than "free-range?" These guys are working on earning the "always-underfoot" classification.

--Patrick

I think there's little that drives home just how long we've been here more, than the fact I remember pictures of him when he was a puppy. Sheesh!

Last edited:
I cant sleep but I just want everyone to know that while the dog is snuggled up with us in bed, the cat has still come to his usual spot on the pillows as well.

My cat has a knack for looking and acting... Unsettling? Anyway, pretty often we'll crop her out of pictures to use as reactions, because she's great. Here's some highlights from this week so far:

hungy
1592427767140.png

-screams internally-
1592427839237.png

Gʀᴇᴇᴛɪɴɢs, ᴛʀᴀᴠᴇʟᴇʀ! Dᴏsᴛ ᴛʜᴏᴜ ʙʀɪɴɢᴇᴛʜ ᴍᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇssᴇɴᴄᴇ ᴏғ ғʀᴏsᴛ I ᴅᴇsɪʀᴇ?
1592427893761.png

Yoshi has rheumatoid arthritis in his feets, but he can’t take prednisone anymore. So he licks things to sooth himself. Usually it’s the bed or his own paws. Today he licked my head for like 5 full minutes :/
4AD5A897-FA81-430A-9D71-EE1333A8FA12.jpeg