New Picture Thread

Speaking of which, found this picture of my grandpa from his old Navy days. He died when I was 12 but was an amazing guy.

I love looking at old pictures like this. I have a journal one of my great-uncles kept when he was on a ship in the Pacific during WWII. A lot of it is boring because his entries are mostly about the weather or how rough/calm the sea was that day or a beer day with a movie that he watched. The entries that really caught my eye were about Japan - since his ship carried Marines to at least one key battle there. My great-aunt used to tell me when he would write to her, his letters were always censored, but he would write where he was underneath the stamp so she wouldn't worry too much about him.

My dad has letters my great-grandpa wrote home from WWI, where he was a driver, I think. I haven't read them in awhile but it's really amazing stuff.

My grandparents were both in the Royal Canadian Air Force too. That's where they met.
My grandmother told me the story about how they met at the Royal Canadian Air Force.

He was a mechanic and she was an office worker. Him and his buddies were tramping through the office and he saw this cute new girl seated at a desk and he told his buddies "That's the girl I'm gonna marry." So, he works himself and he goes over to talk to her, asking her out on a date. And she says no.

A couple days later, he tries again to the same effect, "No way I'm dating a greasemonkey." is the general attitude he receives.

Finally, on the third try, she relents. They go out on a date and over the course of the night, he proposes to her. She bursts out laughing thinking that she's out with a mad man.

A couple years later they're married.

My grandmother told me the story about how they met at the Royal Canadian Air Force.

He was a mechanic and she was an office worker. Him and his buddies were tramping through the office and he saw this cute new girl seated at a desk and he told his buddies "That's the girl I'm gonna marry." So, he works himself and he goes over to talk to her, asking her out on a date. And she says no.

A couple days later, he tries again to the same effect, "No way I'm dating a greasemonkey." is the general attitude he receives.

Finally, on the third try, she relents. They go out on a date and over the course of the night, he proposes to her. She bursts out laughing thinking that she's out with a mad man.

A couple years later they're married.
That's pretty amazing.
Unfortunately I never heard the story of how my grandparents met. They were divorced for as long as I can remember, so I didn't get to hear stories like that. All I know is it happened in the RCAF.

My sister has been in the RCAF the last 30 years. She's retiring next year. She's a mechanic.
Your sister is significantly older than you, which leads me to believe either you were an 'Oopsie' in your parents later years or you're actually an alien with longer lifespans than ordinary humans; I'm leaning to the latter.

Your sister is significantly older than you, which leads me to believe either you were an 'Oopsie' in your parents later years or you're actually an alien with longer lifespans than ordinary humans; I'm leaning to the latter.
I'm 34, she's 48. She joined the forces the day she turned 18.

My parents were trying for one more in their early 40ies.

fade

Staff member
One of my best buddies from grad school had a 5 year old brother. She was 25 at the time. He was an oopsie.

At both the High School I went to and the one I taught for, there was an Art Teacher with a daughter and sister in the same senior class. Too many coincidences.

I have two baby brothers 25 years younger than me, and no oopsies to be found around here! More like second marriages and stuff.