[Funny] Newt Gingrich: Let's colonize the Moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

North_Ranger

Staff member
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/25/newt-gingrich-moon-colony_n_1232426.html
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/72067.html

And apparently once there's 13,000 people living on the Moon, they could apply for statehood. Now, I'm all for being a visionary and wanting to get back to space, but WTF?! Double that because he promises this to be reality "by the end of his second term" XD

In all seriousness, though, I think this is an incredibly silly and expensive idea, not to mention the idea that 13,000 people would be living on the Moon - or the suggestion they could apply for statehood. Plus, in the weird universe where this would take place, there would likely be other players who also want their slice of the pie. EU, China, Russia... Yikes on the political consequences.

I'll be taking the plans to set up a small city on our next door planetary neighbour when they come up a way to put Big Macs into plastic tubes...

He's building the foundation for future scapegoats.

2013- we star construction of our moon colony
2020- it is completed and people start moving to the moon. Not nearly enough for the projected 13,000 but it's a start.
2030- some families decide to move back, bringing their moon born children with them. The first outcries are heard of allowing these moonies into our schools.
2045- first generation citizens of the moon start coming to America in search for jobs. Issues of moonie rights becomes an issue of the day.
2060- this election year's big issue is the proposed fence to be build around the earth to keep the freedom hating moonies from taking American jobs.
2068- the moon is invaded for it's [strike]resources[/strike] lack of freedoms.

The candidate of the time being cyborg newt and the clone of Sara Pailin.

I think the U.S. has pumped enough tax money into space projects. I think they're cool, but I'd rather see that money going into different research avenues. Let the E.U./Asia start paying for all the space tech. And, yes, I am aware that NASA gave us Saran Wrap and velcro - let's cure some diseases or get some bioremediation projects going.

I think the U.S. has pumped enough tax money into space projects. I think they're cool, but I'd rather see that money going into different research avenues. Let the E.U./Asia start paying for all the space tech. And, yes, I am aware that NASA gave us Saran Wrap and velcro - let's cure some diseases or get some bioremediation projects going.
Saran Wrap, Velcro, and all of these things: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...t-leaps-how-nasa-rocked-our-world-879377.html

NASA's budget was only a fraction of a percent of the U.S.'s total budget -- about $19 billion this year -- and pays for itself many times over: http://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/economics.html:

— $21.6 billion in sales and benefits;
— 352,000 (mostly skilled) jobs created or saved,and;
— $355 million in federal corporate income taxes

So... yeah.

GasBandit

Staff member
I forgot who said it, and I am probably not getting it exactly right, but it goes something like this:

It's very easy to see space travel as an extravagant use of resources, when they could more sensibly be spent on domestic issues.

The universe is probably full of planets that contain nothing but the graves of entire civilizations that made the sensible choice.
Added at: 13:28
Found it. It was the alt text to this XKCD:

Alt Text: "The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision."

M

makare

Gas wants to go to space to find that libertarian paradise he dreams of.

Doesn't putting new stuff on the moon require getting shot in the head*... because i'd totally take a moon base then...

*Too soon?

I know what Leroy Gingrich saw when he woke up that morning, and came up with that idea...

then he popped a boner.
Premiering in Berlin? Wow, that douchenozzle of a director has skipped right into Uwe Boll territory. If it's a good movie, it'll stand on its own, but rubbing Nazis in German faces is pretty rephrensible. Guess what, German people don't need to be reminded of the Nazis again and again and again.

Yep.Our generation is kinda tired about having to be constantly reminded to feel guilty for what our grandparents have done.
We still feel pretty guilty for Uwe Boll,though.

Yep.Our generation is kinda tired about having to be constantly reminded to feel guilty for what our grandparents have done.
It's the way of the world. The French are accused of being cowards, the Brits are colonial overlords, Germans are all goose-stepping Nazis, Americans are slave traders, and Korea still isn't too happy with Japan. I'm sorry, but people are stupid.

Fun fact: I get shit for XV century spaniards conquering America.
I had a classmate when I was an undergrad in a world history course. He was latino. One day he randomly hijacks the class to pontificate on how much he hates Spain and Spaniards for what they did in the Americas, and he explicitly stated that included modern Spaniards. He even talked about how he wished the whole nation would be destroyed in some natural disaster. I was completely baffled. To this day it was one of the most awkwardly unhinged moments I've ever seen in person.

(Well, of course there's also Spaniards that still talk about how latin american "monkeys" who can't even speak "proper spanish" should go back to the jungle and wait for the time Spain is a powerful empire again... hearing a conversation between racist latin americans and racist spaniards is almost like living youtube comments in person.

Actually, you can get these kinds of arguments in any youtube clip from the simpsons in spanish)

North_Ranger

Staff member
Premiering in Berlin? Wow, that douchenozzle of a director has skipped right into Uwe Boll territory. If it's a good movie, it'll stand on its own, but rubbing Nazis in German faces is pretty rephrensible. Guess what, German people don't need to be reminded of the Nazis again and again and again.
Dude... You do realize you just called Timo Vuorensola, a Finn, a douchenozzle? And that there will be consequences for that?

Sleep with one eye open, because we never forget. And we never forgive...

Seriously, though, I got from the trailer they were asked to bring the film to the Berlin Film Festival. Would you say no to that, honestly?

Man this gets better and better... the other day Newt was blathering something about homosexual marriage being akin to Paganism or some shit.

Nobody knows how sacred and special the biblical institute of marriage is than a man who's been married three times over, cheated on all his wives, and asked his second wife for an open marriage. Yep. Everyone has to follow the rules except Newt.

Status
Not open for further replies.