Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Twitch

Now with poll of some maybe book choices

-- Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:24 pm --

Those are by no mean final of course, I just grabbed some PD ones that might have interest and we can see what people want from there.

Krisken said:
ZenMonkey said:
Krisken said:
Not only that, but how hard is it to go to the library? Chances are pretty good classic literature will be there.
Or in my case, mostly ratty paperbacks in Russian.
Damn, who funds your library Zen, the Communist party?
Very possibly. I live in an area with a lot of Russian Jews and it seems the libraries cater pretty heavily to them. Haven't found a good one near me (and it has to be near me) yet.

I voted for Count of Monte Cristo and Paradise Lost because I've never read either and really should.

T

Twitch

Denbrought said:
Oi, what Sherlock Holmes book? The first one?
I think so, seems like a logical starter. I've read them all but it's been awhile.

Yeah, same here. I've chosen two books I haven't read yet (well ok, I did read dracula, but that was something like 10 years ago).

T

Twitch

I voted for Miz and Count, two that I haven't read in awhile and I think people would like.

P

Philosopher B.

I voted for Around the World in 80 days 'cause that's one of the few I haven't read and I've sort of meant to.

Umm... you do realize that Les Mis and War and Peace each clock it at over 1200 pages, right? Unless you want to start this book club in the fall, those are really ambitious choices to have on the list. I'm a really fast reader, and both of these took me several weeks to read--they're not easy texts to get through.

I ran a book club at both my library and my high school, and my .02--for whatever it's worth--is that most of these books will work well on a classroom but aren't going to be ideal for a book club. Honestly, to get a good discussion going, you want something at least semi-controversial--a book with issues that people can take sides on. Otherwise it's going to be "I liked this" "yeah I liked it too" "it was a good book" "mm-hmm." Unless you think we're going to be having uber-intellectual, scholarly arguments over these books, which, granted, we may, we could easily run out of stuff to talk about fast. However, in a setting like this, I just can't imagine that we'd be bringing deconstructionism etc. into the conversation. The best book club discussions I've ever been at were the ones where people disagreed and we spent our time debating instead of just talking about what we liked--even something like The DaVinci Code (not that I'm advocating we read that piece of garbage) would lead to a better conversation than something like Les Miserables.

I don't want to rain on your parade, trust me. I think a HF book club is a great idea, and I'd love to join up with you guys. I just think you're better off looking at banned books lists instead of randomly picking classic books in the public domain.

P

Philosopher B.

Let's read The Warriors. I know some lengthy discussions could be had over some of the stuff in there. :shock:

T

Twitch

Meh, I've done most of these in a book club. I'm a lightning fast reader so I understand, now that I think about it, the trepidation on Les Mis though it might take me a week at most. As for discussion every book in controversial if not through politics. It's interpretation of characters, what made the book good, worth reading, et cetera that make for good discussion. Not "I think that the Illuminati are going to kill us like the book." "Well, you're a bitch"

Twitch said:
Meh, I've done most of these in a book club. I'm a lightning fast reader so I understand, now that I think about it, the trepidation on Les Mis though it might take me a week at most. As for discussion every book in controversial if not through politics. It's interpretation of characters, what made the book good, worth reading, et cetera that make for good discussion. Not "I think that the Illuminati are going to kill us like the book." "Well, you're a *"
Yeah, I don't think anyone here is dumb enough to make an argument like that, and that is certainly not what I was suggesting in my post. It's your book club, and if you think you can keep a discussion about the merits of a book and character interpretation interesting and engaging for more than perhaps 2 pages, then I look forward to our first topic. I've found, though, that if people feel like they're stuck in a classroom being lectured at, they lose interest quickly.

T

Twitch

It's not mine, this is all Lally, I threw up those ideas from the "Most Popular" on Guterburg while shes gone. We are kind of limited on what we can use since we want to start with the free stuff. So I put up these to get a general idea in what people are interested in. And your avatar terrifies me.

Twitch said:
It's not mine, this is all Lally, I threw up those ideas from the "Most Popular" on Guterburg while shes gone. We are kind of limited on what we can use since we want to start with the free stuff. So I put up these to get a general idea in what people are interested in. And your avatar terrifies me.
Sarah Palin is quite relevant to this conversation :p

T

Twitch

HowDroll said:
Twitch said:
Sarah Palin is quite relevant to this conversation :p
I suppose so, I wonder if any of those books were on that supposed list.

L

Lally

I'm cool with whatever we read :) I'm kinda tired and out of it tonight so I don't have any better thoughts... I shall continue participating in the brainstorm tomorrow.

HowDroll has a pretty good point, especially for our first book. A book that won't overwhelm people and is going to provide plenty to discuss would be great. I have no idea what that would be though...

Shakey said:
HowDroll has a pretty good point, especially for our first book. A book that won't overwhelm people and is going to provide plenty to discuss would be great. I have no idea what that would be though...
Where's Waldo. It's so profound.

P

Philosopher B.

Oh tits, not that book, it takes too damn long to get through. I can never find that pompom-wearing, blue-jeaned, red-and-white sweater-loving motherfucker for the life of me. Goddamn. :angry:

That Sam I Am, that Sam I Am, that mother smurfing Sam I Am :explode:

I will not eat it with a goat!
Leave me be or I'll shove it down your throat!
I will not eat it on the grass!
Go away before I kick your ass!
I will not eat with some guy named Tom!
Last night I totally banged your mom!
I will not eat it in the thicket!
I'll show you where you can stick it!

I voted for Les Mis, as it's my favorite on the list. I think HowDroll has something of a point, but if we're going to be limited to free legal books on the internet (and we probably should be) I think this is a pretty good list to choose from. Hey, if we run out of things to talk about, we can just drag it down into a flamefest of Transformers 2 sized proportions :toocool:

I would have voted Dracula, but i already started it... so instead i'll be giving Tom Sawyer some love... having read it being immaterial, right? Also, Huck Fin doesn't require it, but does read better imo if you already read Tom Sawyer...

And man, i recall reading The Count of Monte Cristo, but for the life of me i can't remember anything past him being in prison and the mentor guy that tells him about the treasure saying how the letter was written with the left hand, because apparently they all look the same if written left handed when you're right handed...

Krisken said:
Shakey said:
The question is, what is Waldo really hiding from?

Shakey said:
Krisken said:
Shakey said:
I think he really isn't hiding, but craving for acknowledgement. Otherwise, why would he hide with those outrageously noticeable clothes?

Denbrought said:
Shakey said:
Krisken said:
Shakey said:
I think he really isn't hiding, but craving for acknowledgement. Otherwise, why would he hide with those outrageously noticeable clothes?
It's a bitter-sweet tale of a man who tries too hard to be noticed in a variety of settings, and yet is hard to notice no matter how hard he tries. It's a statement on the human condition, how we strive for attention in a world that is increasingly crowded and less intimate.

Krisken said:
Denbrought said:
Shakey said:
Krisken said:
It's a bitter-sweet tale of a man who tries too hard to be noticed in a variety of settings, and yet is hard to notice no matter how hard he tries. It's a statement on the human condition, how we strive for attention in a world that is increasingly crowded and less intimate.
I agree/disagree with some of the things that have just been said, but the mechanical mark-making of the sexual signifier threatens to penetrate the substructure of critical thinking.

-Adam

stienman said:
Krisken said:
Denbrought said:
Shakey said:
I agree/disagree with some of the things that have just been said, but the mechanical mark-making of the sexual signifier threatens to penetrate the substructure of critical thinking.

-Adam
Jo encara diria més, la paralisi sintàctica en la descripció de les motivacions del personatge són, francament, sospitoses. L'ús indiscriminat d'adverbis temporals i posicionals en la prosa ens indica la existencia d'un dilema paradoxal en que el personatge i l'autor es troben atrapats.

Denbrought said:
stienman said:
Krisken said:
Denbrought said:

-Adam
Jo encara diria més, la paralisi sintàctica en la descripció de les motivacions del personatge són, francament, sospitoses. L'ús indiscriminat d'adverbis temporals i posicionals en la prosa ens indica la existencia d'un dilema paradoxal en que el personatge i l'autor es troben atrapats.
Je suis surpris que personne ne le mentionne encore que la perturbation de la disjonctive sexy poisson apporte dans le domaine des discours d'une participation dans le dialogue critique des années 90. En ce qui concerne la question du contenu, la qualité de réduction de la dimension spatiale des relations formelles de contextualiser les juxtapositions distinctif.

-Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.