Export thread

Official E3 2014 Thread

Jay

Jay

Yeah, it's early but news of what's what is starting to happen and I'm excited to see what this year's E3 has to offer.

What are you guys looking forward to? Which games? Which shows?

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'm curious what Bethesda will be showing, apart from ESO. Maybe they'll tease Fallout 4 a bit.

Also, Valve's totally going to announce Half-Life 3. Totally.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Seeing as companies are already hyping stuff, I think you picked the right time, Jay. We might as well join in.

Nintendo's announced a new Pokemon release, so there goes on of my predictions. I have my fingers crossed for Zelda Wii U, more news on Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Bayonetta 2 release date, Super Smash Bros release date ...

... and maybe Majora's Mask 3D announcement; that'd be nice.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I know Ninty isn't having a full conference, so whatever announcements we get will either be from a small press junket during the show or just some demo terminals around their section of the floor. I honestly don't know what all I'm hoping for, I don't own a PS4/XBOne, so I suppose some PC releases, or maybe some stuff to get me playing the WiiU again.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I know Ninty isn't having a full conference, so whatever announcements we get will either be from a small press junket during the show or just some demo terminals around their section of the floor. I honestly don't know what all I'm hoping for, I don't own a PS4/XBOne, so I suppose some PC releases, or maybe some stuff to get me playing the WiiU again.
Oh, are they doing the whole "have a long Nintendo Direct instead of a real show" thing? Eh ...

I know that Best Buy will have demos for the new Smash Bros during E3. I might head over to one to mess with that ... but I probably won't since I'll be downloading the game at midnight to my 3DS whatever say it comes out.

Terrik

Terrik

Thank goodness it's coming to 3ds. I was afraid I'd have to buy a Wii U

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Thank goodness it's coming to 3ds. I was afraid I'd have to buy a Wii U
I think releasing them six months apart may have been a mistake. It's going to take a chunk out of what would've been Wii U sales. But hey, Wii U has those GBA games! Really, the Wii U's biggest help is that new Mario Kart 8 bundle. I can see that selling--if we didn't already have a Wii U, this would be the time to get one. In fact, I kind of wish we'd waited, but oh well.

Nintendo has a plan though:

Nintendo to create Skylanders/Disney Infinity type game and figurines

More details coming at E3 when they'll showcase this thing. Now, I have zero interest in this, but considering the kind of success Skylanders has been, and the large roster of unique and well-known characters owned by Nintendo, this is a smart move for them to make some easy profit. I won't be buying it, but I'm sure this will help alleviate some of their financial problems and probably help move the Wii U (unless they also make it for 3DS).

That said, another article I read said Nintendo is turning its hope to the 3DS since apparently there are over 43 million of those in people's hands. The Wii U is a great system, but without games I want to play, it just sits in my entertainment unit. It's a pretty nice tablet, but I haven't used it to play anything in a while that wasn't originally a Super Nintendo game.

Dei

Dei

My thing with smash brothers is that there are 4 people in my house who want to play it, and the thought of buying it 4 times for 3DS vs. 1 time for Wii U is not a hard decision to make. But the 6 month gap means that I'll probably get impatient and buy a copy for at least me and my son. :p

Jay

Jay

All I want is news on things coming on the master race.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Hell, there's even rumors of Nintendo unveiling a new system sometime soon, so who knows what they're gonna do.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hell, there's even rumors of Nintendo unveiling a new system sometime soon, so who knows what they're gonna do.
They've shot down those rumors.

My thing with smash brothers is that there are 4 people in my house who want to play it, and the thought of buying it 4 times for 3DS vs. 1 time for Wii U is not a hard decision to make. But the 6 month gap means that I'll probably get impatient and buy a copy for at least me and my son. :p
I'm hoping 3DS Smash Bros will have a Download Play option of some kind. But I can see your point. If my little cousins weren't moving away next month, we'd probably wait for the Wii U version, but since it's just wife and me and we'd like to be able to play on our own, commutes, when traveling too.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You know what I want Nintendo to announce most of all?

A real accounts system. Not tied to your console so that if something happens to it, you lose all your games. One like the PSN or Apple systems, that can be moved and canceled between machines.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I really, really, REALLY want Half-Life 3 announced.

Even though I know it won't happen. :(

Frank

Frank

Man, I just don't care anymore. I've played nothing lately but a bit of Duels of the Planeswalkers and an attempt to play some New Vegas.

Just make something good for PC. Just...fucking something that isn't an MMO.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Everything interesting I've heard about for PC that won't also be on consoles (and thus suffer consolitis) has started as a Kickstarter.

Speaking of consolitis games, I kind of wish I'd have a PS4 by the end of the year so I could play Evolve.

Dave

Dave

Everything interesting I've heard about for PC that won't also be on consoles (and thus suffer consolitis) has started as a Kickstarter.

Speaking of consolitis games, I kind of wish I'd have a PS4 by the end of the year so I could play Evolve.
@blotsfan has one.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm thinking the same thing for Batman Arkham Knight.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I've been practicing Majora's Mask songs in Ocarina of Time 3D. Boy will I feel like an ass if Nintendo doesn't announce a remake.

Jay

Jay

Did you guys see the new Battlefield 4 "leaked" gameplay?

Lots of "borrowing" from Payday 2.

Looks interesting but buyer beware. Don't forget the history of EA/Dice and the fiasco of BF 4. Now they are adding new pay to win options with battlepacks.

Ridiculous.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I think I have mental filters that just make me automatically ignore anything related to "Battlefield" or "Call of-" series. I just don't care.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I was totally gonna buy that EA game.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The only reason I pay attention to the Call of/Battlefield games is because my dad likes the single-player missions/challenges. If the game's got enough of that generally it makes a good present. Unfortunately it's all about multiplayer lately so that's getting more difficult.

Jay

Jay

This looks nice.[DOUBLEPOST=1402013360,1402012874][/DOUBLEPOST]

I don't even know what is going on.[DOUBLEPOST=1402013516][/DOUBLEPOST]

Interesting.

The trailers have started.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Monster Hunter 4 is already better than Monster Hunter 3 by ditching the underwater battles. Trailer looks fancy--I'm loving those new environments.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Monster Hunter 4 is already better than Monster Hunter 3 by ditching the underwater battles. Trailer looks fancy--I'm loving those new environments.
Yeah my brother is super excited about being able to climb and whatnot all over the place to expand the range of hunts.

Frank

Frank

My brains are still scrambled from how good that Witcher trailer is. Those guys know how to do a trailer.

This music from the trailer seems to be a more heavily produced version of this:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Dammit, I thought Nintendo's digital presentation was going to be in the afternoon. Now I find out I got the times mixed with the Smash Bros tournament (wooo ...) and the presentation will be around noon my time on Tuesday. So I guess I'll catch it later, but I was really hoping to watch it live. I guess it doesn't matter.

Covar

Covar

Looking forward to a lot of
download.gif

PatrThom

PatrThom

The trailers have started.
I've seen the new MK one. It's pretty violent.

--Patrick

Espy

Espy

Let me know if Fallout 4 is announced otherwise I'll be sleeping in the corner.

Frank

Frank

Bioware's Mass Effect announcement.

They talk about how they asked what fans want.

What fans want is for neither Casey Hudson or Mac Walters to work on the game. Looks like they didn't listen.

Gusto

Gusto

Sims 4 on September 2! Preordered already, look forward to Halforums House 3, coming this winter!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Phoenix Wright Trilogy sounds like a must-buy for me; I haven't played any of them.

Bioware wasn't kidding when they said they were paying close attention to Skyrim.

Mighty No. 9 is looking good.

And then the drool all over myself want a PS4 game, Evolve:

Dei

Dei

Zero Esc said:
Dammit, I thought Nintendo's digital presentation was going to be in the afternoon. Now I find out I got the times mixed with the Smash Bros tournament (wooo ...) and the presentation will be around noon my time on Tuesday. So I guess I'll catch it later, but I was really hoping to watch it live. I guess it doesn't matter.
Didn't the stream keep dropping on us last year anyways? Might be better off waiting. (I am not waiting though :p)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Bioware's Mass Effect announcement.

They talk about how they asked what fans want.

What fans want is for neither Casey Hudson or Mac Walters to work on the game. Looks like they didn't listen.

figmentPez

figmentPez

UGH, can my Twitter feed not start an argument about how the latest Rainbow Six is treating the human hostages as no more than flags. Holy crap, you mean a video game uses humans as gameplay mechanics? I'm shocked, I mean we haven't used humans in games as target practice, vending machines, doors, pack mules, keys, or anything like that. Every human in every game has always been a fully fleshed out person, right up until this most recent Rainbow Six, when suddenly they're using a person as a trophy, and it's awful.

:facepalm:

Jay

Jay

I want to believe.....

figmentPez

figmentPez

Jay

Jay

My man. Couldn't agree more.

I start watching the video apprehensively... then Casey Hudson comes on and I get this sudden pang of REAL anger... just seeing this guy's FACE. My mood sours. He's... still employed? WTF.

Then he goes on and on about BLA BLA BLA.

My limited interest took a hit.

One thing is for sure... buyer beware.

Phoenix Wright Trilogy sounds like a must-buy for me; I haven't played any of them.
I loved the first 3 Pheonix Wright games. I truly recommend them. I have to see if the others are worth playing. Lots of spin-offs.

Bioware wasn't kidding when they said they were paying close attention to Skyrim.

I miss how awesome DA:O was without all the pew pew effects and huge moves that surely won't even be in the game. I'm looking at this game very apprehensively.

And then the drool all over myself want a PS4 game, Evolve:

This looks good. Look forward to seeing huge gameplay vids, for sure.[/quote][DOUBLEPOST=1402358869,1402358349][/DOUBLEPOST]

This looks awesome but scripted as fuck.[DOUBLEPOST=1402359173][/DOUBLEPOST]

Tomb Raider is looking good. X-Mas 2015.

Music is from the movie "A beautiful mind".[DOUBLEPOST=1402359279][/DOUBLEPOST]

Tomb Raider Unity... looks REAL interesting.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Didn't the stream keep dropping on us last year anyways? Might be better off waiting. (I am not waiting though :p)
Well, yes, but still ... (exactly).

Jay

Jay

I WANT TO BELIEVE

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

figmentPez

figmentPez

Sorry, I can't hear anything else over the sound of Grim Fandango.

Far

Far

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Holy crap, I need a PS4.

Terrik

Terrik

Holy crap, I need a PS4.
Shhhh, the master-race will hear you.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Shhhh, the master-race will hear you.
I OWN A WII U! LA LEE LA DEE DEE!

Anyway, I wouldn't want to get it now; later though, when those games come out ... and I can create money with my mind.

Jay

Jay

bhamv3

bhamv3

Please don't tell me this is going to be a PS4 exclusive, I've actually been looking forward to it for quite a while now.

Far

Far

Please don't tell me this is going to be a PS4 exclusive, I've actually been looking forward to it for quite a while now.
Honestly not sure. Joe danger was ps3 exclusive for awhile I believe but now is available across pc for sure and maybe Xbox and it's from the same team.

Jay

Jay

Gotta say... the exclusive shit doesn't do anyone favors. If that thing is only on the PS4 it will never EVER come close to the potential it can have.

If it was on PC though.... the mind's the limit.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Grim Fandango, Arkham Knight, LBP3, No Man's Sky.

Welp. Time I got me a PS4, I think. Well, maybe by the end of this year, anyway. Still leaning more on a gaming PC. Out of curiosity, how well do the Arkham games play on PC? I know PC ports are hit and miss.

Frank

Frank

I don't want to see Witcher 3 gimped on Xb1.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Out of curiosity, how well do the Arkham games play on PC? I know PC ports are hit and miss.
Can't speak for Origins, but both Asylum and City are fantastic on PC, even on my 6 year old PC. I imagine they're even better on a rig that can do more than 720p, and has an nVidia card capable of doing PhysX stuff.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Time for bed; can't wait to see what Nintendo's shown when I get home from work tomorrow.

can't wait to be disappointed

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Grim Fandango, Arkham Knight, LBP3, No Man's Sky.

Welp. Time I got me a PS4, I think. Well, maybe by the end of this year, anyway. Still leaning more on a gaming PC. Out of curiosity, how well do the Arkham games play on PC? I know PC ports are hit and miss.
They're very good. Keyboard controls are also very tight, but I still choose to use a controller, because being a PC Gaming Master Race member, I have that choice.

And they look way better than they do on console. The physx stuff is pretty impressive.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Time for bed; can't wait to see what Nintendo's shown when I get home from work tomorrow.

can't wait to be disappointed
We'll probably get the rest of the Smash Brothers line up, which should be fun. But unless they drop the bomb with a new Zelda, Star Fox, or Metriod... I just don't care.

Unless they show a new IP. That would be kind of exciting.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Eriol

Eriol

I hope the new Tomb Raider is as good as the last one. I really enjoyed it, so I hope the next won't be disappointing.

bhamv3

bhamv3

That's some pretty wanton destruction of property there.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Maybe he just really needed some Diet Coke.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I WANT TO BELIEVE
REMOVED BY USER[DOUBLEPOST=1402407557,1402406991][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's tradition in the BTAS continuity to destroy a big thing.
Fail on piston engine noise for a turbine-driven car, though.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Able to use Mii characters in Smash Bros, which I approve of, mostly because I know my son will use his Mii exclusively. Get to choose between 3 classes for them, and you can customize their moves from a list of 12.

Also adding Skylanders type guys that will work on multiple games? -_- They used the Luigi Mario Kart meme in the video, so I can't get too mad.

No new Mario Game apparently means Mario Games with different main characters, one with Yoshi, one with Toad...

New Zelda that seems more Open World.

More Ruby/Sapphire stuff that everyone already knows about.

Bayonetta 1 and 2 package for Wii U.

More Hyrule Warriors stuff.

New Wii U Kirby.

Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Mario Level Maker

Game called Splatoon, which is a 4v4 action game where you compete while shooting ink on things? It looks pretty interesting actually.

Palutena from Kid Icarus as a Smash Bros fighter.

Nintendo encourages everyone to watch their Treehouse videos for more game announcements. Something on Treehouse at 12:40 PT I guess.​

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Also, Super Smash Bros 3ds is releasing October 3, rather than in the summer.

Dei

Dei

NOT AT THE VIDEO CONFERENCE BUT OMFG NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED.

[DOUBLEPOST=1402419365,1402419180][/DOUBLEPOST]Mario Party 10

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Dei

Dei

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

What the hell happened to Sonic?

tegid

tegid

Zelda video if anyone's interested:

Gameplay trailer my ass

Jay

Jay

Jesus Christ... All Nintendo does is recycle old content for the masses.

grub

grub

Halo: Master Chief Collection?

Dei

Dei

Jay said:
Honestly, that's what people tend to want from Nintendo. Where's that one comic...

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Who doesn't at this point? It's all brown/grey shooters and cars otherwise.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wow, Nintendo's publishing the Ninja Gaiden (reboot) creator's new game:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

WiiU is getting some kind of StarFox game, hard to find pictures of it. Basically the Pad is a first-person cockpit view and the motion controls can be used to steer the Arwing. Not much else I can find about it.

Only picture I can find, Miyamoto trying the game out:

Dei

Dei

They are going to showcase it at 12:40 PT I believe.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, looks like Time published an interview with Miyamoto about the new game before they were supposed to.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dei

Dei

ahhhh yes, I found it in another thread.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I might be interested in Zelda again, if it DOES turn out the current Link is actually a female. I'm not the only one who seems to think it from that trailer ether... especially since they covered their head with the blue hood for most of it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Gameplay trailer my ass
This doesn't interest me at all, because after Skyward Sword, I don't have any expectation that they'll be able to do open world right. SS was a long list of frustrating mistakes in gameplay mechanics and UI, many of which have been solved by other games. Furthermore, Majora's Mask had it's own long list of issues with mechanics and UI that could have been solved if the makers had spent some time paying attention to good adventure games (like Curse of Monkey Island). It's possible this open world Zelda won't be a train wreck, but I'm expecting that it will most likely have problems that have been weeded out of the genre by other games years ago.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I might be interested in Zelda again, if it DOES turn out the current Link is actually a female. I'm not the only one who seems to think it from that trailer ether... especially since they covered their head with the blue hood for most of it.
Why not be interested in the parts of the game that matter, like gameplay/open world/etc? Why should something inconsequential like the gender of the MC sway opinion on a game?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Fucking hell, Nintendo. I was being facetious last night.

The Good
- Miis in Smash Bros. I'm glad they didn't half-ass this; different classes of play, outfits. Looks good.
- Pokemon ... no surprises. Mega Marshstomp looks cool.
-Bayonetta 2, nice. And having Bayonetta 1 along with Nintendo costumes is cool too. Looking forward to this, but probably not right when it comes out since my wife is going to take over the TV when Dragon Age 3 comes out.
- Hyrule Warriors is looking better than I thought, but I'm not sure I want to pay $60 for a Zelda-themed hack-and-slash.
- Xenoblade Chronicles X, looks good, but I don't see why an HD re-release of a Wii game needs until 2015.
- Splatoon--at first I was "meh," but as the demonstration went on, I liked it more and more. I may be on board with this; looks fun at least.
- Palutena in Smash Bros, fuck yeah.

The Bad
- Smash Bros 3DS release date: Um ... October is not summer. October is autumn. Fucking hell.
- Zelda: Skyrim Sword ... I don't know. On the one hand, I like non-railroad Zelda. On the other hand, I feel like open world for that means lots of empty space. Between Skyward Sword, this, and Hyrule Warriors, I feel like Nintendo believes Zelda is all about combat. Speaking for myself, that's not why I play Zelda.

The Meh
- Amiibo--well, I don't care, but I'm sure it'll make Nintendo a lot of money.
- Yoshi's Epic Yarn; don't care.
- Captain Toad; don't care.
- Kirby Clay; don't care.
- Mario Maker; neat idea, would've liked it more when I was 10.

If I'm not mistaken, a good chunk of stuff is 2015.

I'm pissed that SSB4 3DS has been pushed back. I know I was complaining about only Pokemon for later this year, but instead of anything more, what I was looking forward to for summer is now autumn. Is anything coming out this summer to look forward to?

Terrik

Terrik

The Smash Bros 3DS release date killed me too. I was REALLY looking forward to that.

Dei

Dei

I was waiting for the Wii U release on SSB, so neiner neiner. :p

figmentPez

figmentPez

Is it wrong that I want Ganon to fridge Link, forcing Aryll to become the hero of the story?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Wait, what? Link is going to be female?

Wow, this'll increase the number of people calling him "Zelda" by at least tenfold.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I was waiting for the Wii U release on SSB, so neiner neiner. :p
At this point, I might be as well. Maybe that was Nintendo's intent.

Wait, what? Link is going to be female?

Wow, this'll increase the number of people calling him "Zelda" by at least tenfold.
Don't get Ashburner's fantasies crossed with your reality.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yay!

So, let's see, that's in September.
October has Smash Bros 3DS, Bayonetta 2, Dragon Age 3, Shadow of Mordor, probably a fuck-bunch of other things.
November = Pokemon.

July, August = *crickets where Smash Bros 3DS used to be*

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Xenoblade X is a new game, it's not a re-release. None of what was shown in the trailer happened in the first, and none of those characters are from the first either. I'm actually unsure why it's still called Xenoblade Chronicles, as from what they've shown I don't see any connection to the first game at all.

I have to admit, I was excited for nothing outside of what Nintendo showed. Smash, X, Yoshi Yarn, and once it comes down in price I'd likely pick up the Bayonetta bundle and Hyrule Warriors.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Don't get Ashburner's fantasies crossed with your reality.
Fantasy? The entire trailer pointed towards that.

- The concealed the identity of the hero.
- Link's wearing Zelda's/Tetra's pre-princess colors from Wind Waker
- Focusing on Link using a bow instead of the traditional focus on the sword and shield. If this was any other game, it would be giving off a "Hunger Games" vibe, since it's pretty much re-solidifed the bow as a "female" weapon again.
- More slender, feminine face than normal.
- Longer, more angular ears in an in-game world where long ears signify female. Compare Zelda and Link from Twilight Princess. Compare this shot of Zelda and Link in the same frame (from Skyward Sword)...

link-and-zelda.jpg

To this animated .gif of the trailer for the new game...
dahvfi.gif

... and it's definitely within the realm of possibility. Of course, the other possibility is that they are adjusting the art style (again) and making things even more androgynous that before. But hey... it got me excited that we might see something different, story-wise, than we usually get from a Zelda game. I fully expect that they are going to fuck up the open world elements... but I'd still buy the game if they changed up the story formula a bit. It really feels like Nintendo is trying to do something different this year, especially with a new IP that is a shooter. It kinda makes me want to buy a Wii U now.

In other news, I TOTALLY called the last 3rd party fighter for Smash Brothers. We're getting Pac-Man!

[DOUBLEPOST=1402472166,1402472027][/DOUBLEPOST]
So, let's see, that's in September.
October has Smash Bros 3DS, Bayonetta 2, Dragon Age 3, Shadow of Mordor, probably a fuck-bunch of other things.
November = Pokemon.
We're also getting that new Persona game for the 3DS (Shadow of the Labyrinyth I think?) in September. It's going to be a good last quarter for the 3DS.

EDIT: No, I was wrong. The Persona fighting game for PS3/360 is Sept and Persona Q is "holiday season 2014".

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Fantasy? The entire trailer pointed towards that.

- The concealed the identity of the hero.
- Link's wearing Zelda's/Tetra's pre-princess colors from Wind Waker
- Focusing on Link using a bow instead of the traditional focus on the sword and shield. If this was any other game, it would be giving off a "Hunger Games" vibe, since it's pretty much re-solidifed the bow as a "female" weapon again.
- More slender, feminine face than normal.
- Longer, more angular ears in an in-game world where long ears signify female. Compare Zelda and Link from Twilight Princess. Compare this shot of Zelda and Link in the same frame (from Skyward Sword)...

View attachment 15033

To this animated .gif of the trailer for the new game...

... and it's definitely within the realm of possibility. Of course, the other possibility is that they are adjusting the art style (again) and making things even more androgynous that before. But hey... it got me excited that we might see something different, story-wise, than we usually get from a Zelda game. I fully expect that they are going to fuck up the open world elements... but I'd still buy the game if they changed up the story formula a bit. It really feels like Nintendo is trying to do something different this year, especially with a new IP that is a shooter. It kinda makes me want to buy a Wii U now.
The producer has replied to people with "We never said that was Link." I don't think they're going to gender-bend their protagonist, but yes, they are obscuring who that is, so it's hard to say. It is called The Legend of Zelda, there's no absolute rule saying Link has to be the hero.

In other news, I TOTALLY called the last 3rd party fighter for Smash Brothers. We're getting Pac-Man!

I did not expect it; that's pretty cool! I guess since both games aren't coming until fourth quarter, there's time for them to announce more characters (come on, Jigglypuff!)

We're also getting that new Persona game for the 3DS (Shadow of the Labyrinyth I think?) in September. It's going to be a good last quarter for the 3DS.

EDIT: No, I was wrong. The Persona fighting game for PS3/360 is Sept and Persona Q is "holiday season 2014".
Yeah, and I don't give a damn about it because 1. haven't played Persona 4, and 2. this Persona game plays more like Etrian Odyssey. EOIV has convinced me I don't really like that series. But even if I did, the fourth quarter is well-stocked with releases. Hell, it's over-stocked for me; we only have one TV. Between Bayonetta 2, Dragon Age 3, and Shadow of Mordor all coming out within a week or so of each other, I'm going to be cancelling a pre-order. My wife NEVER requests to use the TV consoles, so when she's making a big deal about Dragon Age 3, I'm not gonna be the ass who says "no, my games are coming out."

I know my complaints are centered on my personal experience (nothing for summer, too much for October) but that's the experience I have to deal with.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The producer has replied to people with "We never said that was Link." I don't think they're going to gender-bend their protagonist, but yes, they are obscuring who that is, so it's hard to say. It is called The Legend of Zelda, there's no absolute rule saying Link has to be the hero.
Zelda taking the lead would be pretty awesome too. Regardless, this is the most excited I've been for the series since Ocarina of Time, so obviously they are doing something right.

I did not expect it; that's pretty cool! I guess since both games aren't coming until fourth quarter, there's time for them to announce more characters (come on, Jigglypuff!)
I'm actually hoping we get MetaKnight or someone else. We already have -4- Pokemon and all the summons from Pokeballs. We don't need anymore.

I know my complaints are centered on my personal experience (nothing for summer, too much for October) but that's the experience I have to deal with.
Nothing for summer is usually how it happens in the industry. Kids are free to go outside and play, plus many families go on vacation during this period. No one wants to risk a summer release.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So has anyone guessed that the new LoZ protagonist is Link and Zelda's daughter yet?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So has anyone guessed that the new LoZ protagonist is Link and Zelda's daughter yet?
That is exactly what I was thinking. They are not going to gender-bend Link, but that hair is classic Link, so it likely wouldn't be Zelda either. Considering all the games imply that all the Zelda/Links we have encountered are descendents of the last Zelda/Link, makes sense they would finally decide to go one generation into the future rather then, like, five.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That is exactly what I was thinking. They are not going to gender-bend Link, but that hair is classic Link, so it likely wouldn't be Zelda either. Considering all the games imply that all the Zelda/Links we have encountered are descendents of the last Zelda/Link, makes sense they would finally decide to go one generation into the future rather then, like, five.
At the same time, it'll be hard to justify not having Mom and Dad do everything when they are the people who are kind of supposed to be doing everything, according to destiny and all...

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

At the same time, it'll be hard to justify not having Mom and Dad do everything when they are the people who are kind of supposed to be doing everything, according to destiny and all...
That assumes that at the point in the game, the "big destiny" of those parents has not already come and gone. Other then a few cases, usually Link and Zelda have one big moment happening over a single section of their lifespan, and as far as we know everything after that is simply living life until they grow old and die. I don't imagine Zelda and Link having a new destiny to fulfill every year on the dot. It's why each game has generations span between them before the next big event in which Zelda and Link are reborn to fix it. (barring a few spinoffs, like Majora's Mask)

Now let's imagine that big event has been taken care of, and for once in the series Zelda and Link don't go their separate ways, but instead fall in love and sire a child. No longer is the Triforce of Courage and Triforce of Wisdom traveling along two bloodlines. It now converges entirely into that single child. That is a huge event, likely going to cause a universal shift in everything. How can a Zelda and Link be born to stop the next destined catastrophe when no longer can they reborn as they were, all because of this child's existence? What will happen when a single person holds two Triforces rather then the trinity it has been for generations? For all we know the idea of "destiny" itself will be the villain trying to prevent the child from even existing because of how much it may screw up the status quo.

Eriol

Eriol

Now let's imagine that big event has been taken care of, and for once in the series Zelda and Link don't go their separate ways, but instead fall in love and sire a child. No longer is the Triforce of Courage and Triforce of Wisdom traveling along two bloodlines. It now converges entirely into that single child. That is a huge event, likely going to cause a universal shift in everything. How can a Zelda and Link be born to stop the next destined catastrophe when no longer can they reborn as they were, all because of this child's existence? What will happen when a single person holds two Triforces rather then the trinity it has been for generations? For all we know the idea of "destiny" itself will be the villain trying to prevent the child from even existing because of how much it may screw up the status quo.
I don't buy it. It's MORE than implied that after Skyward Sword that those two were an "item" together. It's more than plausible that their descendants split off, become "unknowns" to each other, and then find each other again, hundreds or thousands of years later. They don't "hold" the pieces of the Triforce within them until "something happens" that they need them, but rather they're separate physical objects that can be contained, not that they always are. For example, in Ocarina of Time, NOBODY has a piece until Ganondorf touches the COMPLETE Triforce, and causes it to split. It's a physical item, as well as something "contained" in people, but I don't think it gets passed down the family bloodlines like you suggest, and there's plenty of already-canon evidence that it doesn't happen that way either.

tegid

tegid

Didn't you collect all three pieces in Skyward?

Enviado desde mi GT-I8190 mediante Tapatalk

GasBandit

GasBandit

Not that I want to wade into the huge, tangled morass that is the Legend of Zelda timeline, but going from Zelda 1 and 2, I thought it was clear that the triforces (is that even the correct plural?) were physical objects... At the time of LOZ1, Zelda had the triforce of Wisdom, Ganon "stole" the triforce of Power, and then in Zelda 2, Link had to retrieve the triforce of Courage from an ancient temple to stop Ganon's revival.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

There's also the fact that re-assembling part of the Triforce is a big deal in the original game, as well as Wind Waker. This means that it can be dumped somewhere for someone worthy enough to get it... kind of like how the Hero of Winds did, as he had no destiny to fulfill. He just wanted to save his sister and rescue the girl who helped him do it.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I don't buy it. It's MORE than implied that after Skyward Sword that those two were an "item" together.
Being an item together does not imply long lasting romance. We have no idea what fully happens after the screen goes black. All we have is hints to the past, like the Hero of Time appearing in Twilight Princess as a Stalfos. It could be the destiny that brings them together to destroy the great evil also forces them apart.
It's more than plausible that their descendants split off, become "unknowns" to each other, and then find each other again, hundreds or thousands of years later. They don't "hold" the pieces of the Triforce within them until "something happens" that they need them, but rather they're separate physical objects that can be contained, not that they always are.

For example, in Ocarina of Time, NOBODY has a piece until Ganondorf touches the COMPLETE Triforce, and causes it to split. It's a physical item, as well as something "contained" in people, but I don't think it gets passed down the family bloodlines like you suggest, and there's plenty of already-canon evidence that it doesn't happen that way either.
Ocarina of Time was supposed to be a "sort of" prequel to the Zelda series, with Skyward Sword being an even further prequel that established the whole idea of destiny tying them all together. In Twilight Princess, which is the furthest to the "present" day Hyrule the games have gotten, Link never had to claim the Triforce of Courage, as it was a part of him all along. This was shown by the symbol glowing on his hand, and one of the big reason he survived getting dragged into the shadow realm.

I guess a lot of it will come down to WHICH timeline they decide this one will be continuing. I thought that this was going to be the next in the Majora's Mask / Twilight Princess timeline, but it could be that this continues the original timeline (Zelda, Zelda 2, LtoTP). Likely it won't continue the Wind Waker timeline, since I didn't see much water in the trailer. I guess we will have to wait and see.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Likely it won't continue the Wind Waker timeline, since I didn't see much water in the trailer. I guess we will have to wait and see.
Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are already a continuation of the Wind Waker timeline, and there is plenty of solid ground in Spirit Tracks.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are already a continuation of the Wind Waker timeline, and there is plenty of solid ground in Spirit Tracks.
Never played Spirit Tracks, but I remember Phantom Hourglass still being mostly island based.

P.S. Just checked the official timeline and looks like they discover a new continent between the events of Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, so I guess you are correct that the new game could continue that timeline.

Though I feel the art-style still fits closer to either of the other timelines.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Granted that overworld could just be a devkit/demo area, too, but it definitely had the Hyrule Field kind of feel to me. I could see this branching out almost anywhere, really (though I haven't played Skyward, so I'm not sure about that). "Link's" clothes do remind me of the ones I've seen in SS screens/videos, though, and the game is bright, like SS/Wind Waker.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Granted that overworld could just be a devkit/demo area, too, but it definitely had the Hyrule Field kind of feel to me. I could see this branching out almost anywhere, really (though I haven't played Skyward, so I'm not sure about that). "Link's" clothes do remind me of the ones I've seen in SS screens/videos, though, and the game is bright, like SS/Wind Waker.
It could be that this is, yet again, another prequel. I sure hope not though. I want a continuation for once. If not my favorite timeline (Twilight Princess) then at least the original one. The last continuation game of the original timeline is Zelda 2.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I always preferred the old idea that the various zelda games (that weren't direct sequels) were reinterpretations of old myths and traditions, retold by various people to explain the differences between them, with the names and characters more or less staying the same. It lost some of its charm when they came out with an official timeline and started linking (no pun intended) them all together.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I always preferred the old idea that the various zelda games (that weren't direct sequels) were reinterpretations of old myths and traditions, retold by various people to explain the differences between them, with the names and characters more or less staying the same. It lost some of its charm when they came out with an official timeline and started linking (no pun intended) them all together.
I'd never heard that idea before, but I honestly love it.

mikerc

mikerc

Female Link never occurred to me, but as I watched the trailer I was increasingly expecting the reveal that this was a playable Zelda.

Jay

Jay

Public beta is July 17th... I can't wait to try it.... oh wait... that's right .... it's only for consoles... an FPS... on consoles... go fuck yourselves Bungie. Every console too.... UGH... what a wasted opportunity.

Looks interesting.

Looks REALLY interesting.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Shadow of Morder is looking more and more like it's going to be a shitload of fun.

Jay

Jay

Shadow of Morder is looking more and more like it's going to be a shitload of fun.
It really is.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Shadow of Mordor is one of my big games this year. I hope it ends up being all they say and not another Watch Dogs.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'm trying not to get too excited about Shadow of Mordor, but it's difficult. I doubt they'll be able to pull off what they've promised, but it looks so damn cool...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This is the first time the game has appeared on my radar. What kind of game is it?

bhamv3

bhamv3

This is the first time the game has appeared on my radar. What kind of game is it?
I first learned of it from this trailer here:

Basically, the idea is that the game world, NPCs, and enemies are very persistent, in the sense that any NPCs that the game generates for you early in the game will develop and grow as you play the game. The mook that got away early on might show up later as a boss NPC, or something like that.

I think I'm not doing the game justice with my crappy description. Watch the video for more.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Combat and movement is like Assassin's Creed, but the game's big thing is that your enemy NPCs will develop based on your actions, and because there are many of them, with armies being affected, you're shaping the culture of the world, affecting the story you'll be playing. You have numerous ways to handle encounters with enemies in the field, or with particular missions, and these will affect other enemies and other missions. NPCs have personalities, will learn and change based on your actions. If an enemy escapes, this could mean dealing with an ambush later, or it could mean tracking them down. Getting an orc to do your bidding can mean gathering information, turning other orcs against Mordor, or even having them attempt assassinations on bosses. They may not succeed, but their efforts can help you. There's more detail to it, but I got my info from a several-page article in GameInformer and the ambition sounds breath-taking.

Downside is, right now it's all talk. We'll see whether the game can live up to any of it.

Dei

Dei

image-2920516922.jpg

tegid

tegid

I DID think that (Well, more something like: how will the game handle that?)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah I looked at that image and immediately dreaded the hours of HYAT HYEAH HUT HYEAH HUT HUT HYAT

Frank

Frank

It was going to be an Arkham game before getting reskinned.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yeah I looked at that image and immediately dreaded the hours of HYAT HYEAH HUT HYEAH HUT HUT HYAT
Really? That was one of my favorite parts of A Link Between Worlds. :p

Apparently Nintendo has some secret 3DS project that they may or may not still announce this week.[DOUBLEPOST=1402568784,1402568631][/DOUBLEPOST]
It was going to be an Arkham game before getting reskinned.
I don't see anything online to suggest that. The developers say they were inspired by the Arkham games, but not that it once was one. At the same time, now that you've said that I can see it--different Gotham gangs instead of orcs. I don't think that would've been as good, since the Arkham gangs have their distinct factions from the start, while orcs are orcs and how they divvy themselves up would be more fluid.

Frank

Frank

I don't see anything online to suggest that. The developers say they were inspired by the Arkham games, but not that it once was one. At the same time, now that you've said that I can see it--different Gotham gangs instead of orcs. I don't think that would've been as good, since the Arkham gangs have their distinct factions from the start, while orcs are orcs and how they divvy themselves up would be more fluid.
I could have sworn I'd read it had begun in it's earliest stages as an Arkham spinoff before getting a different IP applied, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

When I first read about it, it sounds Assassin's Creed-y, but totally different companies. Arkham would at least be under the same distributor.

Speaking of Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft is getting deservedly tarred and feathered over the internet for the whole "women are too hard to animate" thing. I'm not sure why they even started this unless it was to get some publicity for Unity, considering that franchise isn't as popular as it used to be. I wouldn't think it'd be hard to throw in a female assassin model considering they make so many for the multi-player anyway. This really reeks of a publicity stunt--get people pissed all of a sudden, then give them what they wanted and the game got some free attention, more than it would have if they had done it without the drama.

That said, it's way too much fun making fun of them, like the Frozen animators' bitching about it being too hard to design different female faces. Although they meant it, and for all I know, Ubisoft does too. I don't care; I'm done with that series except for eventually buying the pirate one when it gets down to $15 or something, and that's not for the assassin parts.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Eh.
Mordor one might actually be fun, but I'll have forgotten about by the time it comes out.
Witcher III is next year.
Errr....Wake me when Starcraft II part III is out? :p

figmentPez

figmentPez

The themed henchmen for any given villain switch around to working for whomever is out of jail. I'm pretty sure I've seen jokes about the same henchmen working for Riddler one week, Two-Face the next, etc. And that's not even considering a No Man's Land type situation, where the power struggle sees gangs wiped out, and their survivors dead or forced to join the new gang.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So Nintendo's secret 3DS project ... was it Metroiod? Mother 3? Pokemon Snap? Majora's Mask?

No, it's a new IP, Code Steam, a steampunk game set in London, to be released in 2015.

Dammit.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Hey, I haven't read the rest of the thread, but did y'all hear about the Grim Fandango HD remaster that they're doing....

FOR PS4 and VITA only ..... RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....

On the other hand,official drivers for the Xbone controller are out.

Jay

Jay

This exclusive bullshit makes me rage.

NO, I WON'T BUY YOUR CONSOLE FOR 2 GAMES.

CONGRATS ON BEING ON MY "LET'S PLAY" PLAYLIST NEXT YEAR.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Hey, I haven't read the rest of the thread, but did y'all hear about the Grim Fandango HD remaster that they're doing....

FOR PS4 and VITA only ..... RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....

On the other hand,official drivers for the Xbone controller are out.
Actually, Tim Schafer has said on Twitter that Grim Fandango will show up on other platforms. It just seems that it will start as "exclusive" to PS4 and PS Vita, then go out to other platforms.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Actually, Tim Schafer has said on Twitter that Grim Fandango will show up on other platforms. It just seems that it will start as "exclusive" to PS4 and PS Vita, then go out to other platforms.
Tim says a lot of crazy stuff on Twitter:
Grim Fandango _ Tank Controls.PNG

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I am disappointed by no Majora's Mask remake, but not surprised. Between Hyrule Warriors and Zelda U, there's a lot of Zelda coming soon that Nintendo wouldn't want to over-saturate the franchise.

Hyrule Warriors and Splatoon may be buys--will have to see reviews.

If/when I get a PS4, Evolve and No Man's Sky are must-buys, but that won't be until we're ready to put away the PS3 ... gonna be a while.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Costume Quest and Stacking were both console exclusive, but eventually came to Steam. Double Fine understands the PC market.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Costume Quest and Stacking were both console exclusive, but eventually came to Steam. Double Fine understands the PC market.
I think Schaefer knows, deep down, who his real customer-base is. Why he waits on PC releases, I don't know, but it seems like you're right in that they always end up on PC eventually.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I think Schaefer knows, deep down, who his real customer-base is. Why he waits on PC releases, I don't know, but it seems like you're right in that they always end up on PC eventually.
He makes timed exclusive deals because that's a way to get funding.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Sony will also do a ton of marketing if it's an exclusive. Marketing is big in vidya games. And expensive.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Sony will also do a ton of marketing if it's an exclusive. Marketing is big in vidya games. And expensive.
Both of these are it. DoubleFine is a small indie studio... so to get money for things, they often have to make really shitty deals on stuff. What I think it more amazing is that they have the rights to Grim Fandango. I thought that was still tie up with LucasArts and therefore part of Disney now.

Eriol

Eriol

I am disappointed by no Majora's Mask remake, but not surprised. Between Hyrule Warriors and Zelda U, there's a lot of Zelda coming soon that Nintendo wouldn't want to over-saturate the franchise.
I hope they never ever remake it, and it is as forgotten as the CDi Zelda games. That was... just painful. The story was interesting, but the gameplay was horrific. Side-quest-o-rama, instead of an actual story thread you can follow through with. It's like Skyrim, except FORCING you to do all the little side-quests for that one item you need, or for getting HEALTH, instead of making them there for flavour when you want to. And also making you wait around for 5-10 minutes at a time (or more) if you fail an event to try again. Not to mention the fact that the stupid game only has 4 main dungeons (plus the final one). Ugh. I got all the masks in that game, got Fierce Deity, completed it, and have literally not played it since. Too many painful memories.

Twilight princess may have been late, but it was exactly what I was waiting for. Tons of dungeons, few side-quests, no annoying retry/time mechanics.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Majora's Mask was my favorite in the series. I hope it gets remade.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I hope they never ever remake it, and it is as forgotten as the CDi Zelda games. That was... just painful. The story was interesting, but the gameplay was horrific. Side-quest-o-rama, instead of an actual story thread you can follow through with. It's like Skyrim, except FORCING you to do all the little side-quests for that one item you need, or for getting HEALTH, instead of making them there for flavour when you want to. And also making you wait around for 5-10 minutes at a time (or more) if you fail an event to try again. Not to mention the fact that the stupid game only has 4 main dungeons (plus the final one). Ugh. I got all the masks in that game, got Fierce Deity, completed it, and have literally not played it since. Too many painful memories.

Twilight princess may have been late, but it was exactly what I was waiting for. Tons of dungeons, few side-quests, no annoying retry/time mechanics.
I want a Majora's Mask remake so I can actually play it. Late N64 games not only look awful on HDTV, but their graphics blur with movement, which is visually painful.

I didn't care for Twilight Princess. The visuals were too much brown, too much bloom, barely any side quests, and the items felt pidgeon-holed, like they were good for one part and that was it, as opposed to the versatile usage of dungeon items I'd experienced in other games. Instead of making areas blocked off or accessible based on items, let's just have plot boulders. Get far enough in the plot? Then you may pass the boulders. Yay, progression. And let's not forget having to catch a hundred little fireflies as a wolf to open each area.

But if you didn't like the lack of direction in Majora's Mask, I can see why you'd prefer Twilight Princess. That game had more railroad than Spirit Tracks.[DOUBLEPOST=1402693000,1402692711][/DOUBLEPOST]Nintendo hears demand for Majora's Mask 3DS

Well, great. "We hear you." And? "We are listening." It's typical non-committal Japanese corporate attitude. Same as with the account system demands. "We here that this is something you want. We have heard. Your desires do exist. We are aware of them." Doesn't mean they'll do anything about it; just that they know noises are happening and words are typed.

Though between the two, I want the account system more.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Also, it's Link in the Zelda U trailer. They were just messing with us.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I want a Majora's Mask remake so I can actually play it. Late N64 games not only look awful on HDTV, but their graphics blur with movement, which is visually painful.

There's a reason that PC is the gaming master race.

Eriol

Eriol

and the items felt pidgeon-holed, like they were good for one part and that was it, as opposed to the versatile usage of dungeon items I'd experienced in other games. Instead of making areas blocked off or accessible based on items, let's just have plot boulders. Get far enough in the plot? Then you may pass the boulders. Yay, progression.
This I agree with. I noticed, as did others, and I agree with everything I quoted. I don't necessarily agree on the bloom thing being bad, though I agree it was "flirting" with too much.

And let's not forget having to catch a hundred little fireflies as a wolf to open each area.
No biggie IMO. I enjoyed playing as Wolf-Link most of the time.

But if you didn't like the lack of direction in Majora's Mask, I can see why you'd prefer Twilight Princess. That game had more railroad than Spirit Tracks.
IMO Twlight Princess could have been 50x better if you could just kill the annoying people and take their stuff to progress. I hated the people, and would rather have done that than help them. Then it'll be "all good" next cycle anyways, so it's not like it REALLY matters. ;) Also, I thought the "main" masks how you "healed" people into them was creepy as fuck. You "help" them by trapping their spirit into masks that let you take control of them. I felt like I was a body snatcher or something. It has NEVER felt right. The only time that is actually "in a good way" is with the zombie father. You de-zombie him and turn the essence of that into a mask, and not HIM. That was the only "good" use of song of healing in that game.

But overall, we disagree on the two titles. Hey, it happens.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

IMO Twlight Princess could have been 50x better if you could just kill the annoying people and take their stuff to progress. I hated the people, and would rather have done that than help them. Then it'll be "all good" next cycle anyways, so it's not like it REALLY matters. ;) Also, I thought the "main" masks how you "healed" people into them was creepy as fuck. You "help" them by trapping their spirit into masks that let you take control of them. I felt like I was a body snatcher or something. It has NEVER felt right. The only time that is actually "in a good way" is with the zombie father. You de-zombie him and turn the essence of that into a mask, and not HIM. That was the only "good" use of song of healing in that game.

But overall, we disagree on the two titles. Hey, it happens.
But Majora's Mask was at its best when it was being overly creepy for no reason!

I agree that MM's dungeons were disappointing (and so were the bosses). I enjoyed playing the time mechanics and doing so many side quests, and also the main story when it came up. Failing to summon enough giants the first time I tried it felt harrowing.

To be honest, I can only say how MM stacks up from my memory that's now approaching 13 years ago. I mainly played it around a time I was dealing with a death in the family, and for me, it was what I needed to immerse myself in, so there's probably a lot of complicated stuff tangled up with my memory of the game. For all I know, it'd be on the list of things that don't hold up for me now, like Legend of Dragoon and King Kong vs Godzilla.

Jay

Jay