Open Relationships/Marriages. Do They Work? MSN reports...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about you guys, but I use sex as a fun way to unwind, have fun, and share an intimate moment, of which we have so preciously few on this Earth, with another human being.

I didn't call myself an idiot cause of the non-cheating. I become an idiot when I fall in love, for a lot of reasons I won't get into.

C

Chazwozel

Calleja said:
Exactly. Tabooish.

I don't exactly ask people I just met how many times a week they have sex, or who prefers to be on top...

Charlie Dont Surf said:
hugging is cheating just a little bit.
Wow, that is retarded. Man, I cheat a little bit on my fiance with my parents, my sisters, my friends...

You should probably stick to movie threads, Charlie. I think you better understand the land of fiction.

escushion said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Wow, that is retarded. Man, I cheat a little bit on my fiance with my parents, my sisters, my friends...

You should probably stick to movie threads, Charlie. I think you better understand the land of fiction.
I think if you read between the lines what Charlie is saying is that, if you are in a commited relationship and you go out of your way to engage in physical contact with them, be it kissing, hugging, holding hands, etc, thats a form of cheating. If I give a girl friend a side hug, even if I think she's hot I'm not worried anyone is gonna look at that and go WHOA! But if I give a girl friend a long, lingering no holds bar hug? Yeah, that's a little off.

@escushion

Hey, i wanted to point that out... that you cheat a little on your fiancé with everyone you know that is...

Also, talking dirty?! Maybe if it got to the point where it was considered phone sex...

I just meant things in that ballpark. That was originally cuddling, but I rethought it, since for many people that's as intimate as sex. I don't think that giving another girl one hug is cheating at all

I think "non-standard" relationships will be more and more on the rise for a time as each younger generation shifts acceptible social norms further and further away from what their parents found acceptible.

First interracial relationships went from taboo to "ok, but uncommon" to, and this is just my opinion and observation, on the rise and much more common.

I think the controversy around homosexual relationships is starting to reach it's climax, as those opposed seem to get louder while fewer in number. I'm confadent that soon the issue will be like that of interacial relationships.

After that settles down, then I think we're going to see the same thing with open/ polyamorus relationships, which seem to me to be a little more common than we think.

I know my ex said she'd prefer me fucking some other girl than actually cuddling with her.

I kinda see her point, even if I don't totally agree.

Calleja said:
I know my ex said she'd prefer me fucking some other girl than actually cuddling with her.

I kinda see her point, even if I don't totally agree.
I take it she didn't cuddle with any of the other guys, so it wasn't cheating... (heh, just saw that s2 ep of Entourage with Holly Valance)

Her argument was that sex could be construed as hormonal weakness, whereas cuddling implies a more romantic, intimate and even meaningful mind set. She was "willing" to forgive the first, but not the latter.

I did keep in mind that her arguing for that also meant that if SHE ever fucked another guy, she'd have the exact same defense.

Krisken said:
Ok, read it. I owe you an apology.

I think sex is only one way people try to control each other. I would be willing to bet that people in open relationships still do things to control other people in their lives.

:unibrow:

L

Le Quack

I guess the thing would be that they are two different types of relationships all together, and that you can't judge one based on the other due to the differences.

Cajungal

Staff member
It's all about what people really want and what they can handle I guess. I couldn't do an open marriage. It doesn't appeal to me at all. I had a buddy who was in a relationship with two guys for about a year. The other two had been together for a long time, and so my friend kind of got left out a lot because he wasn't as close to either of them as they were to one another. He got too jealous to continue it. I guess that would be the hardest thing to overcome in a situation like this.

Which brings me to the best advice I ever got about relationships--make damn sure that all intentions are out in the open. If someone doesn't want to commit to only you or even give you the share of the attention you feel you deserve, find someone who will I guess. It's trite but true: it takes all kinds. I'd just prefer a monogamous kind.

-- Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:48 pm --

Espy said:
escushion said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:

I think if you read between the lines what Charlie is saying is that, if you are in a commited relationship and you go out of your way to engage in physical contact with them, be it kissing, hugging, holding hands, etc, thats a form of cheating. If I give a girl friend a side hug, even if I think she's hot I'm not worried anyone is gonna look at that and go WHOA! But if I give a girl friend a long, lingering no holds bar hug? Yeah, that's a little off.

I cheat a lot. :bush: No, I'm just very huggy. And a big hug is an acceptable greeting around here for friends of either sex. What does make me uncomfortable is when a guy friend kisses my cheek. It's always a very sweet, innocent peck, but it just makes me feel very shy.

Huh. I hug men and women alike, and I kiss men and women alike on the cheek when greeting. It's a habit. I dunno. I just need lots of physical contact, sometimes.

Cajungal

Staff member
I actually think it's very sweet to give someone a kiss as a greeting. I'm just really shy about it. *^^*

I think in the South, hugs are more acceptable as a friendly hello/goodbye. All my friends hug a lot, even the non-sexually-deviant types.

We're latin. I kiss on the cheek every single woman I greet, even if I'm meeting them for the first time. Unless it's like a formal work setting or something.

We also hug anyone we've met more than once.

I was actually talking about this just yesterday. A friend and I noticed how we met a few people at the party and greeted them with introductions and handshakes (pecks on the cheek for girls) only, but by the end of the night, when we were saying our goodbyes, we hugged all of them. Even the ones we didn't even see in between.

H

Heavan

Frankie said:
Yeah, same here in Alberta. All my friends have always been huggy and cuddly.
Not all of Alberta. Here in Calgary, we take offense to your concept of 'hugs'.

We take offense to a lot of things, though. We're offensive like that. :finger:

Heavan said:
Frankie said:

Really?

Man, I have been cuddling in the "friend" way with female friends since frigging junior high. All my friends have always been this way. A bunch of us watch a movie, people on the couch usually just get cozy. It's completely non-sexual, just friendly. I always find it weird when people are stand-offish even with their friends.

I'm going to add that I'm an Edmontonian by way of the Territories.

Ever since I got a girlfriend, I generally only hug men.

I occasionally hug other girls when there's a good reason for it, such as when I'm in a play, or when the girl desperately needs comforting. I always tell my girlfriend about these situations though, so she knows there aren't any secrets between us.

Regarding relationships, every couple is different in some way. You just have to find out what works and doesn't work for you and your partner. Just make sure you're honest with each other, and yourselves.

Now... who wants a hug?

H

Heavan

Frankie said:
Heavan said:
Frankie said:

Really?

Man, I have been cuddling in the "friend" way with female friends since frigging junior high. All my friends have always been this way. A bunch of us watch a movie, people on the couch usually just get cozy. It's completely non-sexual, just friendly. I always find it weird when people are stand-offish even with their friends.

I'm going to add that I'm an Edmontonian by way of the Territories.
The people I see cuddling are either people openly flirting of differing sexes or in a relationship. Going near a girl/guy (as a guy) that I'm not into sexually, with consent from them in a similar fashion, would be a serious faux pas.

L

Laurelai

I just can't help myself...

Chazwozel said:
.....I'm at the point in my life where I'd rather share my life with one person exclusively, rather than delve into sewing my wild oats all over....
Why.... are your oats torn?

apologies.

not really.

Status
Not open for further replies.