Paying with pennies

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wana10

anecdote that may or may not apply

first time i went to get a u.s. passport they were turning a guy away because they wouldn't accept cash as payment

wana10 said:

first time i went to get a u.s. passport they were turning a guy away because they wouldn't accept cash as payment
This anecdote inspires me to pay for my passport in cash, using reasonably-sized bills and exact change just to see what happens.

Silver Jelly said:
I have a lot of eurocents lying around, and I always think of using them, but I'm afraid.
You guys still use those? We dropped the 1 cents over here, due to being simply worth too little to matter.

L

Le Quack

I don't blame the guy for being a dick at all. I don't give a shit if it was his fault he got towed. People that tow cars are dickholes, period. They deserved this.

ALSO!

I like to call this the "trickle up" effect. All the dickish shit that was given to the lady will trickle up to the other employees.

C

crono1224

Le Quack said:
I don't blame the guy for being a * at all. I don't give a poop if it was his fault he got towed. People that tow cars are *, period. They deserved this.

ALSO!

I like to call this the "trickle up" effect. All the * poop that was given to the lady will trickle up to the other employees.
He is a dick, took it out on a random cashier, who now had to put up with something that wasn't her fault, probably the same as you not being able to turn on your computer cause it wasn't plugged in than bitching at a customer service rep.

He messed up, whether he likes it or not he took it a tad too far.

I also don't see how people that tow cars are dicks, its their job, and depending on where the car is illegally parked it maybe very imparative that it is towed.

figmentPez said:
Shegokigo said:
Government agencies CANNOT refuse payment of any legal tender in the form of collection or debt.
That's exactly what happened in the news story I quoted. The court refused payment of a traffic fine because it was in all pennies. Loose pennies was considered an unusual method of payment and was an allowed refusal. (Another story I found apparently specifies that in Utah payment in pennies must be rolled, and then the rolls signed and labled with the case number.)
And it looks like that guy's case hasn't made it through the courts and had a final resolution.

You've had a day now. Can't you find me one legal case that comes down on your side of the argument? Or are you going to continue to just try to get by on bluster?

wana10 said:

It wasn't a debt. It doesn't apply.

Le Quack said:
I don't blame the guy for being a * at all. I don't give a poop if it was his fault he got towed. People that tow cars are *, period. They deserved this.
Are they dicks cause they tow cars or are they dicks towing cars? There is an important distinction there.

Espy said:
Le Quack said:
Are they dicks cause they tow cars or are they dicks towing cars? There is an important distinction there.
No. They tow cars WITH their dicks. :Leyla:

In Belgium, there are several test caes going on about dropping the €0.01 and €0.02 coins all together. But no, they haven't, officially, been dropped yet. However, shops and businesses are no longer obliged to accept them.

Still. There not being any violence or whatever is no reason t say it isn't a crime, or that police shouldn't get involved. If someone parks in front of my garage, and I need to leave, and he refuses to move, I WILL call the cops and have him towed. Still a crime, still a need for police intervention.

figmentPez

Staff member
Bubble181 said:
Still. There not being any violence or whatever is no reason t say it isn't a crime, or that police shouldn't get involved. If someone parks in front of my garage, and I need to leave, and he refuses to move, I WILL call the cops and have him towed. Still a crime, still a need for police intervention.
That is a good point, but what are your other options in that case? I honestly can't think of any. If you've already asked politely, then there's nothing left for you to do but call the authorities to have the car moved. The guy in the video still had other options besides calling the police.

Shegokigo said:
Espy said:
No. They tow cars WITH their dicks. :Leyla:
And now there's spit on my laptop, excellent. When you replace my computer you can pay in pennies though.

Bowielee said:
I actually meant about tow trucks being an extention of a man's phalus, but OK. :p
Ah, well, since you quoted me as well I thought you were implying something.

Which of course I now realize you would never do. :D

figmentPez said:
Bubble181 said:
That is a good point, but what are your other options in that case? I honestly can't think of any. If you've already asked politely, then there's nothing left for you to do but call the authorities to have the car moved. The guy in the video still had other options besides calling the police.
And what if the guy said "I'll only move my car if you sing "I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General"?"

IE: said "I'll quit breaking the law if you do something for me that you are in no way obligated to do"

That's the position you're advocating here. Because you think the guy pulled a dick move (and don't get me wrong, I do too), you seem willing to sacrifice the rule of law in the cashier's favor. That, to me, is very dangerous ground. The rule of law is not flexible.

I note, for the record, you still haven't found a court case that allows debtors to refuse coinage in payment.

P

Pojodan

Actually, the best way to be truly troublesome when it comes to paying is to do the following:

1) Pay part of the transaction with cash, bonus points for using $2 bills and dollar coins
2) Pay another part of the transaction with a check. Try to use temp checks (The kind that only have your account on it and no name or address) first, but have regular checks on hand.. say you wanted to use them up
3) Pay another part of the transaction with a credit card and refuse to use an electronic device, stating concerns of privacy so they have to bring out their manual card swiper from the back
4) Have a small amount left over within which you offer the options of: Foreign currency, travelers check, IOU, or to search your car seats for change.
5) Request itemized receipt of the transaction for tax purposes.
6) Smile really big the whole time.

figmentPez

Staff member
Tinwhistler said:
And what if the guy said \"I'll only move my car if you sing \"I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General\"?\"

IE: said \"I'll quit breaking the law if you do something for me that you are in no way obligated to do\"

That's the position you're advocating here. Because you think the guy pulled a dick move (and don't get me wrong, I do too), you seem willing to sacrifice the rule of law in the cashier's favor. That, to me, is very dangerous ground. The rule of law is not flexible.
The rule of law is quite flexible, police offers and judges are given a fair amount of leeway in how they apply the law. If they were not, every person pulled over for speeding would be given a ticket. No one would be let off with a warning.

Furthermore, your analogy is not apt. In the case in the video, the one trying to abuse the letter of the law is the one trying to exact extra effort (getting the cashier to handle the pennies), in your demanded singing example, it is the one who is already breaking the law who is trying to exact further trouble, beyond what is required. Note that the boy in the video never asked politely for coins to be accepted, never gave a reason why he was paying in coin, and was rude from the very start. He jumped straight to a threat to call the police, instead of trying to work the situation out in a reasonable manner. Having the coins wrapped and easy to handle would have been the polite thing to do, as would moving the car. Demanding that another person do extra effort to accomodate you for no reason is not polite, regardless if you have a legal right to cause them to do the extra work. If someone had come in to pay and pennies was all they had to make the payment with, and politely asked for the circumstance to be excused is a completely different situation than someone intentionally trying to cause troule. Yes, even legally, as motivation does play a factor in how the law is applied.

I note, for the record, you still haven't found a court case that allows debtors to refuse coinage in payment.
So what? I'm not a lawyer, I don't have access to a law library or anything. It's not like I could convince you anyway, since you stand behind your examples which I still hold are not applicable to the case at hand. You say that the wording is clear, while ignoring the context. The ruling revolves around the difference between payment in gold coin, and payment in paper money, and the ruling says that if the distinction had been between gold and silver, both coins, they would have still ruled in favor of gold, because the contract said "gold". So, it's declaration that the law sees no difference between a paper bill and a coin results from their face value under in the eyes of the governemnt, just as the government saw silver and gold coins as equal regardless of market value. Thus, it says nothing about weather they are a reasonable way to make payment of a debt. My argument is not that pennies lack the face value to appease the debt, but that a box full of unwrapped pennies is not a reasonable manner in which to settle such a large debt. As such, a ruling saying that coins and bills have equal montetary value should not effect if the actions of a person's actions constitute reasonable effort to pay the debt.

I should have cited it earlier but this article says:

Gilmore then informed Prosser the court accepts coins as legal tender — as long as they are wrapped correctly. The court would even supply the 300 wrappers it would take to wrap all of his pennies. It turns out people have tried this before, although not in this amount, Gilmore said.

So it would have to wait until another day — Monday — when Prosser came back to the court with his $150 in pennies, this time wrapped, with his name, phone number and citation number written on each roll, as specified by the court.
Sounds like the court has worked out it's standards by which payment can be made in coins, and has a very exact policy. Coins must be wrapped and properly labeled to be accepted. They must be offered in a reasonable manner, and they have the right to refuse payment offered unreasonably.

EDIT:
Looks like Iowa has a similar policy when paying taxes.
"Cash or coin - accepted only in reasonable denominations - coin or cash in small denominations considered unreasonable payment by the treasurer or treasurer’s staff, will be refused."

New Mexico doesn't accept coins at all in payment of bail bonds, why should the requirements for freeing a car be more lenient than for freeing a person?
"The court may set a policy that the cash bail may be posted by personal check, cashiers check, or money order in addition to cash. The policy on cash bonds may include the acceptance of reasonable denominations of currency and with no acceptance of coin. This policy should be posted in a public view."

L

Le Quack

On my university campus you have to pay outrageous amounts of money for an "okay" parking spot. It takes 15-20 mins to walk from the campus parking lot to classes. It takes 15-20 minutes for the bus to reach your parking spot.

They can go fuck themselves if they want to tow my car when the whole parking scheme is a huge scam to get more money.

I have zero sympathy for anybody working for a tow truck company.

I note, for the record, you still haven't found a court case that "insert here"
I'm going to use that in every discussion I have on here. It's as good or better then [citation needed].

Le Quack said:
On my university campus you have to pay outrageous amounts of money for an "okay" parking spot. It takes 15-20 mins to walk from the campus parking lot to classes. It takes 15-20 minutes for the bus to reach your parking spot.

They can go smurf themselves if they want to tow my car when the whole parking scheme is a huge scam to get more money.

I have zero sympathy for anybody working for a tow truck company.
You do know the tow truck company doesn't make the parking rules don't you?

figmentPez said:
The rule of law is quite flexible, police offers and judges are given a fair amount of leeway in how they apply the law. If they were not, every person pulled over for speeding would be given a ticket. No one would be let off with a warning.
Bad analogy. In most states, traffic citations are civil infractions, and not crimes.

-- Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:45 pm --

Espy said:
I note, for the record, you still haven't found a court case that "insert here"
I'm going to use that in every discussion I have on here. It's as good or better then [citation needed].
Well, after the hue and cry of "find me a precedent!" it seems a little funny that when I did, and then asked for the return favor, these guys suddenly can't be bothered.

This is me, waiting for such a legal precedent to be shown.
:tumbleweed:

For the record, Figment: Vehicle registration is not a debt. Bail bonds are not a debt.
Again, from the treasury website: "This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor."

figmentPez

Staff member
Tinwhistler said:
figmentPez said:
Okay, every suspect questioned for an unrelated case would have to be charged with possession, or accessory, or whatever cops can overlook if they're trying to get information on a more pressing matter. They would not be able to be grant immunity. Cops would have to arrest people for assault if they had bloody knuckles from self defense. Do you really think there is no leniency or common sense used at any time in the legal system? Good grief.

I'm not disagreeing with you for the record, it's just that I'm quite tickled by that sentence. It's quite lovely.

figmentPez

Staff member
Tinwhistler said:
For the record, Figment: Vehicle registration is not a debt. Bail bonds are not a debt.
Again, from the treasury website: "This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor."
Propery taxes are a debt.

EDIT:
Damn, you're just trying to be a dick, aren't you.
"United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

Bail is a public charge, if I'm not mistaken, as is vehicle registration, if it's not a due, and property taxes certainly fall under taxes. Despite that, states refuse payment in small denominations as unreasonable.

figmentPez

Staff member
Quick history lesson. Does anyone know why coins had to be declared "legal tender for all..."? (They weren't always.) It's because coins like pennies, nickels, quarters, etc were never backed by silver or gold as bills were at one time. They didn't have the same legal standing as money that bills originally did. When bills ceased to be backed by bouillon the distinction between bills coins under the law became irrelevant, so it was declared that coins would have the same value as bills. Before that point, a penny was only worth 1/100th of a dollar by convention, not by weight of law. (In fact, I would not be surprised if there were times when it took more than 100 pennies to equal the worth of a dollar backed by silver or gold.) The law declaring coins to be legal tender is not a declaration that they have to be accepted in any amount, but that they have to be accepted at their face value, with full value respective to dollars.

figmentPez said:
When bills ceased to be backed by bouillon

They were backed by huge cannisters of soup? Cool. We backed'm with bullion - gold bars - but hey, if it worked for you odd americans...;-)

figmentPez

Staff member
Bubble181 said:
figmentPez said:
When bills ceased to be backed by bouillon

They were backed by huge cannisters of soup? Cool. We backed'm with bullion - gold bars - but hey, if it worked for you odd americans...;-)
Dammit! I knew that looked wrong. I should know better than to trust spell check. Bullion. In fact, looking it up, I'm not sure I know if it's accurate. Bullion means an amount of gold by weight, not by value. I'm not sure weather dollars were backed by a given weight of gold or by a given value. I think it's the former, though, since they were meant to be the equivalent of a coin.

figmentPez said:
(In fact, I would not be surprised if there were times when it took more than 100 pennies to equal the worth of a dollar backed by silver or gold.)
Coins were ratified for just the opposite reason. The spike in silver prices during the 60's drove the value of silver in American coins far above their printed value. It created a hoarding phenomenom, that was corrected by removing the silver from the coins and using time travel based minting techniques to remove the demand for coins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_tender#In_Canada

Canadian dollar banknotes issued by the Bank of Canada are legal tender in Canada. However, commercial transactions may legally be settled in any manner agreed by the parties involved.

Some business in Canada is transacted in United States dollars, despite United States currency not being legal tender.

Legal tender of Canadian coinage is governed by the Currency Act which sets out limits of:

40 dollars if the denomination is 2 dollars or greater but does not exceed 10 dollars;
25 dollars if the denomination is 1 dollar;
10 dollars if the denomination is 10 cents or greater, but less than 1 dollar;
5 dollars if the denomination is 5 cents;
25 cents if the denomination is 1 cent.

Retailers in Canada may refuse bank notes without breaking the law. According to legal guidelines, the method of payment has to be mutually agreed upon by the parties involved with the transactions. For example, convenience stores may refuse $100 bank notes if they feel that would put them at risk of being counterfeit victims; however, official policy suggests that the retailers should evaluate the impact of that approach. In the case that no mutually acceptable form of payment can be found for the tender, the parties involved should seek legal advice.
In Canada it is illegal to pay for more than 25 cents with pennies.

figmentPez

Staff member
HCGLNS said:
Still no love for the 50 cent piece. :angry:
A fifty cent piece is more than 10 cents, but less than a dollar. Thus it can be used to pay debts up to $10 in Canda. While it is not specifically listed, neither is a quarter.

figmentPez said:
HCGLNS said:
Still no love for the 50 cent piece. :angry:
A fifty cent piece is more than 10 cents, but less than a dollar. Thus it can be used to pay debts up to $10 in Canda. While it is not specifically listed, neither is a quarter.
Are half dollars even still minted for circulation?

I would suspect that if you presented one at many stores, it would probably be rejected. A lot of people in my generation don't have any experience with them. I got a 50 cent piece once in my life while doing my paper route, and I probably would not have recognized it if not for the fact that I had been into collecting coins at the time.

-- Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:16 pm --

grub said:
In Canada it is illegal to pay for more than 25 cents with pennies.
See ... I'm no lawyer, but when I read this a while back, I didn't interpret it like that. I more saw it as a protection against the sort of protest in the OP. Not that it's illegal to pay with more than 25 pennies, but that it's legal to refuse to accept more that 25 pennies.

But then, in earlier parts of the quoted text, it says that you can settle transactions by whatever means both parties agree to, so if a cashier doesn't agree to ... say ... 10 pennies ... what can a customer do?

Perhaps I'm not understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.