Paying with pennies

Status
Not open for further replies.

figmentPez

Staff member
Rob King said:
Are half dollars even still minted for circulation?
According to Wikipedia, the Canadian 50 cent piece is still minted.

US half dollars are apparently only minted for collectors.

-- Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:21 pm --

Whenever I go to the USA, several things seem backwards to me:

In some states: smoking indoors.
In some states: seatbelts not being mandatory
In some states: cellphones while driving
In the entire country: the lack of a widely used coin above 25 cent value

V

Viggs

You know, the guy in the video said he had $33 in the big box, and $25 in each of the smaller ones.

That's $83 dollars total, not $88. So did he rip her off?

C

Chazwozel

If it was the asshole who towed his car. Yes.

Since it was a lady who just works in the office. No.

Why the fuck are they being dicks to people just doing their jobs?

Chazwozel said:
If it was the asshole who towed his car. Yes.

Since it was a lady who just works in the office. No.

Why the fuck are they being dicks to people just doing their jobs?
*gets thrown for a curve*
:bush:

escushion said:
I actually like dollar coins. Feels like I've got pirate's gold.
At renaissance faires, I try to take a money bag full of silver dollars, half dollars, and Sacagawea dollars, for that very reason.

M

Mr_Chaz

Le Quack said:
On my university campus you have to pay outrageous amounts of money for an "okay" parking spot. It takes 15-20 mins to walk from the campus parking lot to classes.
You may have zero sympathy for the tow companies, but I have zero sympathy with you. Just try walking the 15-20 minutes, it's not the end of the world, it's good for you. It was 25 minutes to university for me, and I now miss that daily walk.

I have a collection of silver US dollars and half dollers from somewhere in the 1880s 'till the present day. Anyone interested? (honestly, can't get rid of it :p)

Bubble181 said:
I have a collection of silver US dollars and half dollers from somewhere in the 1880s 'till the present day. Anyone interested? (honestly, can't get rid of it :p)
There's a customer in our bank, that deposits about $1400 a day in pure Half-Dollars because he's looking for the silver ones. :rofl:

Z

Zarvox

From this article: http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1120208723965

It seems to me like the teller should have said, "Hey, that's cool. You can totally pay with pennies. Unfortunately, it's totally cool for me to charge a processing fee. So I'm going to have to count these pennies to make sure you gave me the right amount. And I may be bad at counting, so I may do it slowly and lose count a few times. Who knows how many hours it might take? For that matter, didn't you get a friend to drive you here? I'm pretty sure he has better things to do than wait around. Of course, if you leave, I might just loose count even more times. And you'll have to pay my hourly wage for it. And come to think of it, even if you have exact change, you don't have enough money to pay the processing fee. So come back when you have enough money."

Rob King said:
I would suspect that if you presented one at many stores, it would probably be rejected. A lot of people in my generation don't have any experience with them.
They will take them if you are patient. Every now and then I like to freak out the staff at Tim Hortons by paying with 50 cent coins or a two dollar bill. Generally they all huddle together and eventually decide to accept the legal tender, typically one of the staff takes the bill and puts their own twoonie in the till.

Zarvox said:

It seems to me like the teller should have said, \"Hey, that's cool. You can totally pay with pennies. Unfortunately, it's totally cool for me to charge a processing fee. So I'm going to have to count these pennies to make sure you gave me the right amount. And I may be bad at counting, so I may do it slowly and lose count a few times. Who knows how many hours it might take? For that matter, didn't you get a friend to drive you here? I'm pretty sure he has better things to do than wait around. Of course, if you leave, I might just loose count even more times. And you'll have to pay my hourly wage for it. And come to think of it, even if you have exact change, you don't have enough money to pay the processing fee. So come back when you have enough money.\"
According to court precedent, this would probably have been a totally legit way to handle it.

V

Viggs

Tinwhistler said:
Zarvox said:

It seems to me like the teller should have said, \"Hey, that's cool. You can totally pay with pennies. Unfortunately, it's totally cool for me to charge a processing fee. So I'm going to have to count these pennies to make sure you gave me the right amount. And I may be bad at counting, so I may do it slowly and lose count a few times. Who knows how many hours it might take? For that matter, didn't you get a friend to drive you here? I'm pretty sure he has better things to do than wait around. Of course, if you leave, I might just loose count even more times. And you'll have to pay my hourly wage for it. And come to think of it, even if you have exact change, you don't have enough money to pay the processing fee. So come back when you have enough money.\"
According to court precedent, this would probably have been a totally legit way to handle it.
I agree on the "processing fee" part. But would the precedent apply for the cashier's hourly wage?

A lawyer provides professional services. If I go to a lawyer's office, he will charge me for his time. The same is not true for a cashier, tho. If I go to a store, I don't pay a cashier for the time she spent ringing up the items I purchased. I merely pay the cost of the items + taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.