Pet Peeve rants.

Two days ago I couldn't help myself and blurted out, in counter to the word 'natural', "Arsenic is natural!"
I saw a post about a week ago decrying Pasteurizing milk as killing the natural beneficial nutrients that would magically heal all that ails you. I just...STOP IGNORING 150 YEARS OF SCIENCE JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T GET IT.

I saw a post about a week ago decrying Pasteurizing milk as killing the natural beneficial nutrients that would magically heal all that ails you. I just...STOP IGNORING 150 YEARS OF SCIENCE JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T GET IT.
I also enjoy the idea that Pasteurizing - heating and cooling - is somehow 'unnatural'. It's fucking temperature.

yeah but its all just "theory" >_> (new guy training at work is one of those people, he insists on arguing with me about everything not conservative christian) today I plan to tell him to shut it if he does it again.

Learn your students' names. It matters. If you mispronounce their name every day, they notice. The youngest sibling now mispronounces his last name and corrects his parents about it. That should not happen. Learn your students' names. Sound it the fuck out. IT SOUNDS EXACTLY HOW IT LOOKS! We're teachers, for God's sake.
I used to love having teachers who insisted I pronounced my last name wrong. It didn't sound the way it looked (you know, a French name with 5 letters that you don't exactly pronounce), but at the same time I think I knew how to say my own last name by the time I was 9 or 10. It was no fun correcting the teacher and then getting told I was being rude.

Last edited:
I had a very German last name that no one could ever pronounce or spell, until I had a German chem teacher who took great joy in pronouncing it as gutterally as possible.

My last name was always pronounced wrong. Everyone would pronounce it with a long A sound (Paasch). However, it's pronounced more like "posh".

Cajungal

Staff member
Ya know, every telemarketer who has ever called my home has referred to me as "Ms. Boo-drex" or "Ms. Bow-drax."

I've had telemarketers who just don't even try to pronounce my last name. One even started the conversation "Can I speak to Mr. B....yeah, I have no idea, so let's just stick with B."

Many of my students call me Mr. B, because my last name is very German and they almost always mispronounce it. They just gave up and went with the first letter.