President Barack Obama: We tortured some folks

Hey so you remember how the CIA tortured people a lot, and it turned out this did nothing but inflict cruelty onto other human beings with no benefits whatsoever?!???

This looks like a really cool presentation, but I haven't gone through it all yet:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/national/cia-interrogation-report/key-findings/

Also, source for the thread title, a sentence that will always make me laugh and smh

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-we-tortured-some-folks-after-911/

More fun tweets:

Also, if you think most of the stuff in the report(s) isn't "torture", get the fuck out of this thread and go back to Candyland and play in the goddamn gumdrop forests

GasBandit

Staff member
Naked and hypothermic is definitely unacceptable. Charges need to be brought for that, certainly. I have less antipathy for psychological methods (the sensory deprivation, the gaslighting, etc) but clearly there was not enough oversight on the process, or what there was failed to maintain acceptable standards.

None of these people went to prison, and none of them are going to ever go to prison (unless they film a police officer, but I digress).

Last edited:
It's an interesting point though. People answer with 'hey, why are you not complaining equally about other people who do bad shit'? and I understand it's because they feel attacked, be it directly themselves or through people they admire and love or through their values. This is not due to this deleted post specifically, it just stirred me to post a thought that I already had from the police indictments discussions.

The sadness outrage for the actions of people who are clear terrorists or criminals is obvious. We can comment on it, we can rant, we can shout about it. But there is an extra outrage to be had when you feel people who are supposed to be protecting you, people who you are supposed to trust, are abusing that trust, using it to hurt others. Another example of this are the cases of child abuse by catholic priests in many places.
There's another component too: there's a different outrage, or expression of outrage, when the people doing bad deeds are supposed to be held accountable to you. For one, the outrage is useful in a sense, because you are supposed to be able to control future actions of these people who you feel are doing wrong. This is also related to outrage directed to the system, if it is not doing what it should to control the actions of public servants to align with your values (applicable here and in the other thread). In this sense, for instance, I feel a different kind of anger at the cases of police abuse that there may be in the US or here in Spain, because shit, they are supposed to answer to me in a way!

Sickening. Just deplorable. I didn't like it 10 years ago, and I certainly don't like it now. I have no words strong enough to describe my disappointment in our government.

Closest I come to agreeing with a third party is Green. Sorry man, not joining the Libertarian illusion ;)
I voted for Jill Stein last election... Meh, I should have just written in Mickey Mouse.

Also, while I agree with your stance on the topic at large, Chuckles, I don't think Dianne Feinstein is one to talk about fair and just, considering she's one of the biggest money grabbing, sleazy politicians out there.

GasBandit

Staff member
Also, while I agree with your stance on the topic at large, Chuckles, I don't think Dianne Feinstein is one to talk about fair and just, considering she's one of the biggest money grabbing, sleazy politicians out there.
Indeed. Make no mistake, this wasn't about any kind of moral obligation or sense of justice, this was a lame duck trashing the hotel before checkout.

I'm not championing Feinstein on purpose, just because she did it for a typical politician sleazy reason doesn't make the facts any less damning.
Feinstein deserves no championing. She may not go so far as condoning torture, but when it comes to your privacy, the Constitution may as well be a bog roll.

Sorry about Feinstein, y'all. She is oddly popular here in CA, and to my memory no one has ever come close to unseating her. We try, but she's going to be there until she retires or gets another position.

Dave

Staff member
The number of people - for some reason mostly republican - saying that all was justified because we got attacked is too damned high.

Dave

Staff member
9/11 is the Repub default for why every horrific thing their fringe members say is ok.
I was listening to a talk show today on NPR about the whole thing. It was amazing to me how many called up saying that we hadn't gone far enough or that they deserved it because terrorists! They didn't have the brainpower to critically think about the fact that some of those people were picked up because of bad intel brought about by torture and had done NOTHING! You know who they blamed? "The democrats for releasing the report and putting American lives in danger."

Dave

Staff member
So Cheney totally admits to war crimes and Nuremberg-like offenses while at the same time implicating the former President.

It just went from interesting to incredible. I'd like to think that heads would roll but I know better.