[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

IIRC he's mentioned several times over the years that he dreamed of being a newspaper cartoonist. Not really surprised that he's still emulating that gag structure.

Art wise, it still looks like he's doing that thing where he copy and pastes panels then makes tiny changes to disguise that he copied that panel. Panel 1 here feels like the only dynamic shot we've gotten so far.
He also mentioned a lot of the reason he dreamed of being in the newspapers was because it would help his dad understand how successful he was, because that is what being successfully looked like for a Cartoonist pre-2000.

It's hard to imagine that Scott was considered a top tier webcomic artist for a long time these days. It's not even his fault, the market is just so much different now.

Scott has always idolized Jim Davis, which is fine. I would like to think his characters deserve better than Garfield jokes though. Even newspaper comics have have their share of hilarious and even beautiful work.

He also mentioned a lot of the reason he dreamed of being in the newspapers was because it would help his dad understand how successful he was, because that is what being successfully looked like for a Cartoonist pre-2000.

It's hard to imagine that Scott was considered a top tier webcomic artist for a long time these days. It's not even his fault, the market is just so much different now.
OUAT, the deluxe edition of City of Heroes came packed with a PvP mini-comic. Would they even put him on a short list for such a bonus these days?

OUAT, the deluxe edition of City of Heroes came packed with a PvP mini-comic. Would they even put him on a short list for such a bonus these days?
I don't even think PENNY ARCADE could pull that now, outside of it's relationship with Dungeons and Dragons or via pull from PAX.

I don't even think PENNY ARCADE could pull that now, outside of it's relationship with Dungeons and Dragons or via pull from PAX.
....I mean, their relationship with video game companies has gotten their character into a Telltale game, multiple D&D games and books, whatever the hell that weird hero clicker game is I see advertised sometimes and they had their own series of RPGs. They still have giga-massive pull beyond any other webcomic creator's dreams. They get to do whatever the fuck they want and delegate all the actual work to their empire of employees all for making 3 comics a week. I can't even imagine what it's like to have that kind of power and freedom.

Can you imagine burning your bridge there? Jesus Christ Kurtz.

Right now I'm mainly reading to see what has happened to our beloved cast of characters in the future. Show me future Brent and Jade and Cole and Marcy and Max. I also wouldn't mind seeing future Miranda, Lucille, Leela, Reggie, Gwen, Butler, and that lawyer guy. Heck, give me future Shecky, I don't mind.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot Robbie and Jase.

Right now I'm mainly reading to see what has happened to our beloved cast of characters in the future. Show me future Brent and Jade and Cole and Marcy and Max. I also wouldn't mind seeing future Miranda, Lucille, Leela, Reggie, Gwen, Butler, and that lawyer guy. Heck, give me future Shecky, I don't mind.

The nice thing about ending a story on a happy ending is you don't see what happens when it's not happily ever after.
We're already finding out that Francis and Marcy are separating. Gawd knows what's happened to the other poor fools at this point.

Zappit

Staff member

Honestly, future Miranda should be a straight-up theft of the Park and Rec joke about Jerry’s wife Gail in the future. Gail and their daughters didn’t age a day.

Well, the news that he was changing things up got me to read again, intrigued to see what was up with the gang that brought us together.

It's been a week and I haven't so much as cracked a smile yet. I'll probably give it another week to at least hook me with SOMETHING, but... yeah.

Last edited:
What? Scott what have you done? Scratch is dead?!

But it seems he uploaded this mind in the companys computer. At least I think he did.

I will say that uploading his mind into a computer does absolutely seem like the kind of thing Scratch would do.

Also is it just me or does Max look even younger than before?

I will say that uploading his mind into a computer does absolutely seem like the kind of thing Scratch would do.

Also is it just me or does Max look even younger than before?
He's older than Francis and somehow looks like he's 20 in this.

It was a joke when he was first introduced, that he hadn't aged at all and looked great etc, so....Guess it's just the same joke still going on.

Or it's a harmful stereotype that gay people always look (or have to look) fabulous. It's a thing. But I'm going to go with "not meant hurtful on this one.

GasBandit

Staff member
I literally only read it when this thread is updated.

Table Titans I had in my RSS though... but it hasn't been updated in 4 months.

"See you next week" in the most recent comic grows ever more increasingly ironic.

Yeah, I only ever check out the comic when the thread updates. And even then, not always. I've said it a million times but my interest in the comic was killed the moment he dumped the forum.

Does anyone else feel like Max's only defining characteristic lately is "gay"? I mean, yeah him being gay and everyone coming to terms with it was a big deal, but that shouldn't be all that he is. We've seen that he's also clever, conniving, a good businessman, a knowledgeable geek, etc. I think it's a pity that his only dimension these days is "the gay guy".

Does anyone else feel like Max's only defining characteristic lately is "gay"? I mean, yeah him being gay and everyone coming to terms with it was a big deal, but that shouldn't be all that he is. We've seen that he's also clever, conniving, a good businessman, a knowledgeable geek, etc. I think it's a pity that his only dimension these days is "the gay guy".
When something stands out to you as unique, it can be easy for a writer to put a spotlight on it.

I literally only read it when this thread is updated.

Table Titans I had in my RSS though... but it hasn't been updated in 4 months.

"See you next week" in the most recent comic grows ever more increasingly ironic.
Same for a long while. I'm not entirely sure what compelled me to (other than quarantine boredom perhaps), but I just caught up on it after not regularly reading since around the 2013 LARP saga. Catching up on 7 years of missed comics took a disappointingly short time, on account of all missed updates. And also highlighted how frequently Kurtz tries to take the comic in a more story-oriented tangent only for it to go nowhere and never be mentioned again.

Same for a long while. I'm not entirely sure what compelled me to (other than quarantine boredom perhaps), but I just caught up on it after not regularly reading since around the 2013 LARP saga. Catching up on 7 years of missed comics took a disappointingly short time, on account of all missed updates. And also highlighted how frequently Kurtz tries to take the comic in a more story-oriented tangent only for it to go nowhere and never be mentioned again.
It's that second one that really bothers me, and it's exacerbated by the first.
You'll get 3-4 comics leading up to some sort of story set up, spread over 3 weeks, then a week of nothing, annnnd a one - off gag with no connection to anything that came before. It's almost like there actually were 4 more updates, they just weren't uploaded in this dimension.

They were together during the last strip.
--Patrick
I mean in the sense that the relationship lasted to the point that they are married now. I mean the previous timeline comic literally only mentioned them as a couple during one short story arc that was essentially just a lot of "huh? wha? old people sex?" jokes and then they left it be.

I previously got the impression that Lucille's quite a bit older than Cole. So I thought if Cole's sixty now, that would make Lucille, what, a septuagenarian?

Though now that I look back at the previous strips again, I guess it's possible she's around Cole's age.