[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

Lucille looked like she used to live really hard in her thirties/early forties. Like... imagine Scotch for lunch and dinner and smoking constantly kind of living hard. Then she got into a relationship with Cole and since HE wasn't going to be the one who watched how they lived, she was going to have to be, which is probably why she looks so good for 60+.

Is it just me or does Lucille not feel like Lucille though?

I mean yes she only just appeared, and said one line, but I remember her for being that rather haughty, no-nonsense, business savvy sass machine. The recent panel presents her more like the rocking granny that likes to snowboard down Kilimanjaro. I never took her for the type that would care about that.

Dave

Staff member
She also seemed like the type to take charge and be very competitive. And having retired she's got to put that energy towards something.

I definitely won’t complain if this is just a natural growth to what was otherwise a 2-dimensional character before.

Well... at least there was... SOME... kind of update to Table Titans today.
I'd feel better about this interstitial pitch if he didn't look and feel so much like the button-eyed dad from Coraline, even to the point where I can't tell if he's being desperate or not.

--Patrick

What the hell happened to Scott's attitude toward Max? He's looking like a flat gay stereotype from the short appearances he's had so far.

Dave

Staff member
Remember when Max was just thought of as a douche when he was a really nice guy? Then Scott made him gay and started Flanderizing the shit out of him.

Zappit

Staff member
And the silhouettes have returned.

Guess that enthusiasm he had for the reboot has all but vanished now.

Anyone else who really has no idea what is going to happen and thinks this storyline is incredibly thrilling?
No?
Just my pet rock?
Ok.

How much better could today's strip had been if Scott didn't waste it to explain what Michigan J Frogging someone means.
I think all of PVP's audience should already know that reference.

Last edited:
Or instead of explicitly stating the reference, there could have been a comedic moment based on it. For example, Skull goes, "Oh, I love that frog!" And then he dances out of the room with a top hat and cane, singing, "Hello my baby, hello my honey..."

Or instead of explicitly stating the reference, there could have been a comedic moment based on it. For example, Skull goes, "Oh, I love that frog!" And then he dances out of the room with a top hat and cane, singing, "Hello my baby, hello my honey..."
There you go. Skull gets the reference but completely misses the context.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ehhhh, I'm usually pretty critical of Scott, but I can understand explaining a 65 year old reference.

But the punch line should have been "Oh, you mean you're gonna TOY STORY me."

Ngl PvP piqued my interest with the time skip and I was reading them then the update schedule went back to normal and I forgot about it again.

Classic PVP at its classic-i-ness.

I didn't do the thing.
Did you do the thing?
I totally did the thing.

Gold star.

Classic PVP at its classic-i-ness.

I didn't do the thing.
Did you do the thing?
I totally did the thing.

Gold star.
Well, at least we weren't waiting five days for this update.
Were we waiting for five days for this update?
Oh, we were waiting five days for this update.

I went back to catch up on the PvPs I missed, and I noticed that Francis in the last panel of this strip is identical to Francis in the last panel of the next strip. It was mildly trippy to click back and forth between the two strips and see Francis not move at all, not even his position in the panel.

I'm not ragging on Scott for copying and pasting, mind you. I don't care if he copies and pastes. I'm just the kind of easily amused guy who would repeatedly jump between those two strips while giggling.

I went back to catch up on the PvPs I missed, and I noticed that Francis in the last panel of this strip is identical to Francis in the last panel of the next strip. It was mildly trippy to click back and forth between the two strips and see Francis not move at all, not even his position in the panel.

I'm not ragging on Scott for copying and pasting, mind you. I don't care if he copies and pastes. I'm just the kind of easily amused guy who would repeatedly jump between those two strips while giggling.
I am sad that I did not notice this. It's not even just Francis. The only character art difference between the two panels is a single eyebrow.

It's funny how there was a time when I feel like artists would take pot shots at comics like Ctrlaltdel that would just copy/paste every week.

Last edited:

And when you do it she raises one eyebrow. So fun!

Man, I forgot to check PvP out again for a few days, and... Still the same comic.
I went and checked, there have been 11 updates since August first. That's 11 in 45 days, or about 2 per week. For an alleged 5-times-a-week comic.
This is a new, fresh reboot ; a chance to start over and attract a new audience with a line hiatus before it to prepare new material. The art is still mostly reused bits pasted together.
How can Scott think he's doing okay? If I phoned in my work that badly I wouldn't have a job left.
I don't mind irregular or slow updates, and I don't mind reused art, and I don't necessarily mind not every strip having a brilliant punchline of joke, but all three? Along with the most generic of settings and no memorable characters left?
What's the point?