[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

Honestly, I'd argue that most gamers don't give a fuck. Also, since WHEN has Max been a gamer? I thought he was only doing the business side of things. Why would gamers care that the guy who makes deals is gay?

Necronic

Staff member
Honestly, I'd argue that most gamers don't give a fuck. Also, since WHEN has Max been a gamer? I thought he was only doing the business side of things. Why would gamers care that the guy who makes deals is gay?
It's not just gamers, it's industry wide. The gaming industry is one of the the least diverse businesses out there. Few women, mostly white guys under the age of 40. I've heard a lot of stuff about dev studios being run like it was an episode of Mad Men, except it's a bunch of nerds instead of awesome guys.

Yeah, I have to go with Necro's description there. Sadly enough.

I'd argue that most gamers don't give a fuck.
I agree, they don't. But I'd argue that they also don't give a fuck about not using misogynist, racist insults. Or even just not making assumptions about other players' genders, behavior, orientation, etc.

There's a colossal cognitive disconnect in gamer circles regarding active (i.e. willful and intended) discrimination and passive/cultural discrimination.

It's sort of like how Invader used to claim that racism was only about people saying the n-word or something, and since the n-word had been demonized racism was over so why was "cracker" still allowed?

"You can be such a queen!"

And the over/under was 1!
Really? One line makes him a stereotype? The strip is portraying his hyper-critical internal monologue. I wrote a three paragraph explanation of Captain America's ideological leanings to some troll on IMDB and thought "God, you're such a nerd" about myself afterwards. Does that make me a stereotype?*

*Don't answer that, it was rhetorical.

Really? One line makes him a stereotype? The strip is portraying his hyper-critical internal monologue. I wrote a three paragraph explanation of Captain America's ideological leanings to some troll on IMDB and thought "God, you're such a nerd" about myself afterwards. Does that make me a stereotype?*

*Don't answer that, it was rhetorical.

NERD!

He's not a stereotype yet. But we're afraid he will turn into one. Yes, it's speculation, but that's what the internet is for.

NERD!

He's not a stereotype yet. But we're afraid he will turn into one. Yes, it's speculation, but that's what the internet is for.
I get worrying that the character will be pushed in that direction, but Dave seemed to imply it had already happened.

I think it has.
How so? If that line demonstrated any stereotype, it was of the "straight acting" gay guy who looks down on "queeny" types.

Or maybe that's not a stereotype, just a guy I knew on a message board way back when. He did not like the lisping, flamboyant member of our little gang very much.

Dave

Staff member
I don't know, really. It just felt to me like it was the easy and stereotypical joke. Like Scott thinking all gays are drama queens who have an inner flamboyant gay just lying in wait.

It actually seemed to me like Max's inner self was specifically not flamboyant. I get the concern, but I think Scott has skated the line fairly cleanly here (so far).

... and no one gives a shit. Exactly how I figured it would go.

Though this does bring up an interesting point: Are we, as a society, eventually going to reach a point where "coming out of the closet" is pointless because no one really gives a shit? Sure, I suspect it's always going to be an issue in religious households, but what about the other 80% of America?

... and no one gives a shit. Exactly how I figured it would go.

Though this does bring up an interesting point: Are we, as a society, eventually going to reach a point where "coming out of the closet" is pointless because no one really gives a shit? Sure, I suspect it's always going to be an issue in religious households, but what about the other 80% of America?
A lot of people already don't care.

I think the act of needing to make an announcement/spectacle about these kinds of things is stupid anyhow. It seems very teenager to me, and that goes beyond just sexual preference.

A lot of people already don't care.

I think the act of needing to make an announcement/spectacle about these kinds of things is stupid anyhow. It seems very teenager to me, and that goes beyond just sexual preference.
Except we still live in a world where even your family can be willing to sever their ties with you over it. It can seriously impact every relationship in your life, because far too many people still don't have any clue how to "deal" with gay people. Likewise, it can take some people years to come to terms with the idea that they don't fit the life that our society (not to mention their family and friends) expects of them. The conscious decision to say "fuck it, this is who I am" and do what will make you the happiest...that would be a pretty big deal, I imagine.

Anecdotal Example: I knew a guy, we'll call him Paul, back when I was really active in the Masters of the Universe fan community. He's gay. Had been living "out" for years - had no problem discussing it on the boards, brought his boyfriend to meet-ups at WizardWorld Chicago, even had to quit the Chicago fan club because his ex-boyfriend was one of the leaders. It seemed that he was out, of closet...except he wasn't entirely. His parents didn't know about his sexuality. He felt the need to conceal this pretty big portion of his life from them because he didn't know how they'd react. It wasn't until he was diagnosed with cancer, I.E, faced with the prospect of death, that he decided he needed to come out. He couldn't be worrying about hiding his boyfriend from them while he was undergoing chemo and in need of all the support he could get. Now, I only know the short term story but it did have a negative impact on their relationship. They looked at him differently, even though they were accepting of him and supporting him as best they could.

Now imagine that same warranted uncertainty, but about everyone you know. And ratchet it up the further you move away from the big, affluent, liberal areas of the country. Do you see where maybe coming out would feel like a huge deal to a person, and why they would treat it as such?