[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

I have been looking at weeding down the webcomics I read (so I can add more guilt free) and despite the fact that i have been reading PVP for years now I am seriously contemplating axing it. Lately the comics have just been so lackluster that I haven't gotten more than a light chuckle for the past few months. If it was just that I may be able to tolerate it but that combined with his pathetic attempt at updates and the fact that he still has no problem with complaining about the faults of others when he is riddles with his own issues. I may give it another couple of weeks to see if it improves but lately PVP is just more depressing than anything else. I still find amusement when I read through the archives because the comics used to be clever and funny but now it feels like tired and repetitive and unfunny.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't subscribe to PVP's RSS anymore, haven't for a long time.. but I still check this thread. In my mind's eye, it's like a room full of depressed newspaper reporters, rolling half-smoked cigarettes around in their fingers, muttering, taking straight shots of bourbon or pulling their hats down over their eyes and leaning way back in one of those wooden rolling chairs to take a nap with their feet crossed on the desk...

Then, occasionally, once in a great while somebody runs in and yells "PVP was good today!" and everybody jumps up, grabs their coat, and they all run into a bank of phone booths so they get knocked over, like in that scene in Airplane!

It really does seem like that comic was a good set up for a "Its not true! Its IMPOSSIBLE!" sort of joke. I don't see why lost is needed.

Even a simple "Cole...I'm dying and this is a Make A Wish, isn't it?" would have been funnier.
You have just played and won the "I can write a better punch-line than Scott Kurtz" game! Course you're tied with everyone ELSE who has posted on this thread, but still good for you!

... I feel like today's cosplay strip is missing a panel. A final punchline. It feels like something should come after what Brent says, and it's supposed to be funny.

It's like having a pledge, a turn... and then nothing.

... I feel like today's cosplay strip is missing a panel. A final punchline. It feels like something should come after what Brent says, and it's supposed to be funny.

It's like having a pledge, a turn... and then nothing.
Not to mention a copy/pasted Cole from the last comic.

What would've been a better punch line would be Cole asking Brent "Who puts on a super hero costume in their bed room?" then pause, then Cole makes a witty comment about Brent and Jade's sex lives. Going back to the good ol' Brent and Jade sex jokes.

Dave

Staff member
Or just a stare between them, then a shot of Skull outside the broom closet, then a new panel with Brent & Jade talking to Cole. Brent says, "Make that 4 places."

How did you get cosplay out of any of that?
Because of the comic he did yesterday, which was about that comic book writer making some rather crude comments about cosplayers on Facebook the other day? It may be nothing, but I immediately saw the possible connection. If anything, it was a bad time to make that joke.

Because of the comic he did yesterday, which was about that comic book writer making some rather crude comments about cosplayers on Facebook the other day? It may be nothing, but I immediately saw the possible connection. If anything, it was a bad time to make that joke.
I think you're just reading too much into it. The woman in the current comic isn't cosplaying, and you're expecting the tastemakers comics to interconnect.

Zappit

Staff member
And there's LolBat, the one-time joke that WILL NOT DIE.

Honest to Christ, I'd take Shecky at this point.

Eh... I think I'll finish my re-read of the archives up to the end of the wedding plot and then take PvP off my list of daily reads. Honestly, there's just no humor in the strip anymore.

I kind of feel like Lolbat would be much better if done by the guy who does Axecop or Dr. McNinja, but that's just me.
The weird part is, that the writer of of that is 8 years old. An 8 year old can write better stories than Scott Kurtz, a professional cartoonist. We live in a strange world.