Export thread

Random Video Game Crap

Limit: 500

Frank

Frank

I am not a huge fan of Final Fantasy 8, but it has one thing going for it over all the other Final Fantasies.

The Chocobo theme is by far the best one.

Gusto

Gusto

FF8 is the FF that I've gone back to the least, and I'll admit, I've got a hankering to play it again, at least for a little while.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm going back and forth between FF7 and 9 right now, it's nice.

Frank

Frank

So, I'm playing The Last of Us, something you should all kill, main, stab and steal to do if you must, and I meet the character Bill. Bill is super duper familiar but I couldn't place him. It was driving me crazy so I Guggled him.

Fuck! Dangerous Dan Dority!

Frank

Frank

Just read a thing where it said Bioware was looking to fix the choice mess made with Dragon Age 2 by listening to what the fans want.

DON'T FUCKING DO THAT!

Just don't make a shitty game for fuck's sakes. Don't make a game by committee. Make a game that's good and satisfying throughout. Fuck.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Just read a thing where it said Bioware was looking to fix the choice mess made with Dragon Age 2 by listening to what the fans want.

DON'T FUCKING DO THAT!

Just don't make a shitty game for fuck's sakes. Don't make a game by committee. Make a game that's good and satisfying throughout. Fuck.
Listening to fans is good, except you need to only listen to a small group of fans dedicated to making the game great. These people are generally known as playtesters and focus groups.

Listening to all your fans at once will just result in too many "good" ideas being crammed into the game, none of which work well together, and none of which are truly fleshed out.

Either that or the Internet trolls get a hold of you, and the protagonist to DA3 ends up being named Dickwad McPedobear.

Frank

Frank

I just watched the Revan mission in The Old Republic.

Bioware needs to be gut punched and forgotten.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. FF8 is, for whatever inexplicable reason, my favorite FF game after the jump to the polygon era.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I just watched the Revan mission in The Old Republic.

Bioware needs to be gut punched and forgotten.
I did that mission on Republic side. You basically break him out of a prison. There's also one where you find HK-47. They're pretty blatant callbacks to keep people reeled in. Also there's a DLC mission you can buy to get your own HK companion.

Gusto

Gusto

It ain't bad, and I like the Junction system.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I honestly never really figured out what it was about 8 I didn't like. I think part of it came from never getting invested in Squall's story, as they seemed to take what little personality Cloud had and just ripped it out, leaving Squall with nothing but "..." and "Whatever" to fill the void. Junctioning was cool in theory, but it felt like an easily abused and kind of flawed system in that the junctioned spells were a risk to cast too often without the always-boring Draw farming.

Okay so maybe I did figure out what it was about 8 I didn't like.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I think the fact that I always played super conservative with my magic in all the FF games is one of the reasons that I was fine with the junction system.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I think the fact that I always played super conservative with my magic in all the FF games is one of the reasons that I was fine with the junction system.
Yeah I could see that making things easier. I play the same in early bits of the game but once I can buy/find Ethers/Tents I generally don't worry much about conservation. I grind enough that gold is barely an issue so I have a pretty ample supply of restoratives. I think 7 was the first time I was remotely conservative of spells, but that was mainly due to leveling All Materias. Once those were at 3+ uses it wasn't an issue.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I liked the Laguna subplot. I wished it was the main plot.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I never had a Nintendo or Super Nintendo growing up, so my first exposure to Final Fantasy (apart from one gaming session on a buddy's SNES with FFII.... ahem... FFIV) was with Final Fantasy VII. We stayed up ALL NIGHT playing it through the first night he had it... his mom came out to the living room and found us all passed out in front of the TV (somewhere just outside Midgar, I believe).

I loved the Materia system, I loved how each character had a clearly-defined role... when I went back later and played FFVI, I just got overwhelmed by the number of characters.

FFVIII just never managed to get the same feeling from me that VII did, and I fully believe it's because I tie VII to one of the happiest times in my life.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I never had a Nintendo or Super Nintendo growing up, so my first exposure to Final Fantasy (apart from one gaming session on a buddy's SNES with FFII.... ahem... FFIV) was with Final Fantasy VII. We stayed up ALL NIGHT playing it through the first night he had it... his mom came out to the living room and found us all passed out in front of the TV (somewhere just outside Midgar, I believe).

I loved the Materia system, I loved how each character had a clearly-defined role... when I went back later and played FFVI, I just got overwhelmed by the number of characters.

FFVIII just never managed to get the same feeling from me that VII did, and I fully believe it's because I tie VII to one of the happiest times in my life.
This, as far as I can tell, is one of the main reasons 7 has spawned the legion of spinoffs and such. For a lot of people it was the first FF, hell, first JRPG, to really launch into the spotlight. There were tons of great RPG experiences to be had before it, but this one was the launching point for so many. It was the same when I was in high school. Most people my age that were into games got hooked on FF, FF2 or FF3, so generally 2 and 3 were held in higher regard. Those a bit younger than me were hooked with 7, and in rare cases 8. It also helped that both versions had PC releases (granted they were horrible ports that were ridiculously hard to run).

bhamv3

bhamv3

FF8's junction system was most easily abused if you were good at the card game. Master the card game, and you'll never lack good magic to junction. This might seem counter-intuitive to a lot of players though, for a minigame to be the key to power.

Frank

Frank

I liked the card game. I did not like that fucking random rule spreading. FUCK. RANDOM.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I liked the card game. I did not like that fucking random rule spreading. FUCK. RANDOM.
Oh god random. It's all like "Oh you have a great deck with awesome unique cards? HAHAFUCKYOU let's see you play with one unique card and four crappy ones! Get ready to lose your unique!"

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bowielee

Bowielee

I liked the Laguna subplot. I wished it was the main plot.
It was actually supposed to be a completely separate game. The Laguna stuff was supposed to be a sequel to FF8.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It was actually supposed to be a completely separate game. The Laguna stuff was supposed to be a sequel to FF8.
Yeah, I've heard that before - kinda wish they followed through. Ah well.

Frank

Frank

Capcom says that it's too expensive to make a 2D fighter with traditional sprites anymore despite tiny companies like Arc System Works (Guilty Gear, BlazBlue) putting out unbelievably gorgeous sprite based fighting games on a shoestring budget and making a profit on them. Hell, apparently Dragon Crown's budget was a million dollars and it was the most expensive game Vanillaware has ever made.

Fucking Capcom.

At least they're not trotting out that Morrigan sprite in every compilation game now. That shit got old a decade or so into it's reuse.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah she looked ridiculously out of place in MvC2, especially compared to newer sprites like Tron Bonne.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Judging from Capcom's treatment of the Mega Man series, I can only conclude that they hate games, gamers, and gaming in general, and are out to half-ass everything as much as possible.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Judging from Capcom's treatment of the Mega Man series, I can only conclude that they hate games, gamers, and gaming in general, and are out to half-ass everything as much as possible.
It ain't going to suck, itself.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

Skyrim, still tied with Red Dead Redemption for the game with raddest glitches.

Frank

Frank

Saints Row 4 contains a romance system that rivals Bioware with it's complexity

bhamv3

bhamv3

Saints Row 4 contains a romance system that rivals Bioware with it's complexity

I am going to play the hell out of this game.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

To everyone with a Wii U, I've found this week's upcoming Virtual Console release: three different versions of Street Fighter II. There will be Street Fighter II, Super Street Fighter II: the New Challengers and Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting.

Frank

Frank

That's fucking terrible.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's fucking terrible.
Alex, what is "Lex Luthor stole 40 erotic cakes?"

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Capcom is really a double-edged sword. Sometimes you get something really fun and awesome out of them, like Mega Man 9, 10, and DuckTales Remastered. Other times, you get shit like the current treatment of their fighters. I don't want a Goddamn Madden Street Fighter every year, just give me Super/Ultra/Master/Holyshit Street Fighter right off the bat.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Apparently, they might be even trying to push them with a buy 2, get the third free deal.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Capcom makes me sad, because I love Mega Man, and I honestly feel that the Mega Man X series was the epitome of mega man and platforming.

I pretty much agree 100% with this video

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

After watching him play/comment in Game Grumps I realize he was seriously talking out his ass. Dude doesn't know a fucking thing about games or how to play them. I wonder what wiki he ripped off for those videos.

GasBandit

GasBandit

He basically only knows about two series - Mega man and Castlevania (coincidentally the two he made sequelitis videos about). It's pretty aggravating to watch him and Jon play anything else because not only do they know shit-all about what they're doing, they refuse to read on-screen cues that tell them what they're supposed to do, they'd rather just blunder through on autopilot while they make unrelated jokes. There was one sonic episode where they spent something akin to half an hour (or maybe it just felt like that) going all over a level hub trying to find where they were supposed to go because they walked right past the NPC who tells you where to go without a second thought right at the start of the level.

That said, their Goof Troop series was fairly entertaining to watch.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't watch the steam train episode where they play FTL. I about tore my own face off.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Hey, I'm not claiming everything the guy says is true (mostly because I don't know who the hell he is, I've only seen that video.) I'm just saying that particular video is true.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

He basically only knows about two series - Mega man and Castlevania (coincidentally the two he made sequelitis videos about). It's pretty aggravating to watch him and Jon play anything else because not only do they know shit-all about what they're doing, they refuse to read on-screen cues that tell them what they're supposed to do, they'd rather just blunder through on autopilot while they make unrelated jokes. There was one sonic episode where they spent something akin to half an hour (or maybe it just felt like that) going all over a level hub trying to find where they were supposed to go because they walked right past the NPC who tells you where to go without a second thought right at the start of the level.

That said, their Goof Troop series was fairly entertaining to watch.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't watch the steam train episode where they play FTL. I about tore my own face off.
The new guy, Danny, is a bit better at keeping things on track (and he's a pretty good gamer, too). Or at least I guess he doesn't distract as much as JT did. Castlevania is going better than most games do, and I honestly find the back and forth between Danny and Arin much funnier than Jon and Arin.

Frank

Frank

I find Ninja Sex Party funny. Hopefully Game Grumps doesn't do to their output like it did to both Jontron and Egoraptor.

Frank

Frank

Best controller ever, the original Dual Analog controller before the sicks were convexed and it was shrunk into the more current Dual Shock form.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Best controller ever, the original Dual Analog controller before the sicks were convexed and it was shrunk into the more current Dual Shock form.

I agree! But a close contender from before the world of dualsticks would have to go to:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Gamefly sure does like grabbing from the bottom of the queue. I wonder if it's something in their coding.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I realize I'm a bit late to the conversation, but I have always loved 8!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

From the twisted minds that gave us Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac comes their newest title, Mew-Genics.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Honestly, 360's controller is one of my favorites in terms of sticks. It's compact, comfortable, and the button/stick/pad placement is fantastic.

Frank

Frank

Honestly, 360's controller is one of my favorites in terms of sticks. It's compact, comfortable, and the button/stick/pad placement is fantastic.
Yeah, except that it's d-pad is, and continues to be, the worst. It's like late 90's Mad Catz level shitty d-pad.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, except that it's d-pad is, and continues to be, the worst. It's like late 90's Mad Catz level shitty d-pad.
Have you tried one of the newer 360 controllers with the improved d-pad? I know they made them.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Really? I've never had an issue with it. The all time worst d-pad to me is the Dreamcast's. Shit had corners that could break skin.

klew

klew

I still dislike the PS split dpad buttons.

Frank

Frank

I still dislike the PS split dpad buttons.
Better alternative to mashy gigadisc pad.[DOUBLEPOST=1379257637,1379257573][/DOUBLEPOST]
Have you tried one of the newer 360 controllers with the improved d-pad? I know they made them.
It's an improvement, but it's still the worst of the big three consoles controllers by leaps and bounds. I guess they're trying to address this with the Xbox One controller. We'll see.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Gamefly sure does like grabbing from the bottom of the queue. I wonder if it's something in their coding.
Ugh. Gamefly, while filling a niche, could stand to hire a couple of coders from Netflix. Netflix at least has algorithms that prioritize less frequent renters and the like.

I haven't figured out what the prority is with Gamefly queues. I CAN tell you, however, that if the game is listed as anything other than "Available Now", you aren't getting it. Doesn't matter how long it's been since I exchanged games. I've even stripped my list down to one title & sent my disc back & they didn't send me the game for 2 weeks. So IMO there are 2 levels at GF, Available & Not.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Ugh. Gamefly, while filling a niche, could stand to hire a couple of coders from Netflix. Netflix at least has algorithms that prioritize less frequent renters and the like.

I haven't figured out what the prority is with Gamefly queues. I CAN tell you, however, that if the game is listed as anything other than "Available Now", you aren't getting it. Doesn't matter how long it's been since I exchanged games. I've even stripped my list down to one title & sent my disc back & they didn't send me the game for 2 weeks. So IMO there are 2 levels at GF, Available & Not.
The first game I got was at Medium, but since then, yeah, Available Now has been it.

This one I have now is the last one with Available Now on my list, so we'll see.

Frank

Frank

I sold all my Steam trading cards today and now have 9.53.

I like this trading card thing because I don't fucking care about them and other people do enough to give me 10 bucks.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I sold all my Steam trading cards today and now have 9.53.

I like this trading card thing because I don't fucking care about them and other people do enough to give me 10 bucks.
Basically this. I get the badges I want and then sell the rest. I then use the profits from that to ether buy the cards that I'm missing for sets I care about or to get small stuff like DLC or keys for TF2. Plus, since I play on Steam at least once a week, I'm eligible for booster packs, which I can sell for even more cash to buy stuff.

It's a good way to get free stuff.

GasBandit

GasBandit

None of my cards are worth more than 20 cents. I can't be arsed.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

None of my cards are worth more than 20 cents. I can't be arsed.
Hey, if you don't want them... *shifty eyes*

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Gamefly shipped Metro: Last Light, which will likely arrive Monday.

On the one hand, finally a game I'll be eager to play through. On the other, I'm probably gonna kill the subscription after this for a little while, what with Pokemon coming out and the lack of games I'm interested in that they have available to rent. Maybe by February or March I'll give it another try, but these last two months have not impressed me. It's not entirely Gamefly's fault. I think I'm just coming to realize that when I throw games we didn't buy onto the rental list, there's a reason we didn't buy them.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Yeah, there's been several times lately where I've considered dropping GF. I started my subscription when I first got my 360 5 years ago. Started with the 2-disc plan, but having 2 games rented at the same time was spreading too thin, so I eventually pared back. As it stand, I still end up keeping the same game for 2-3 months at a time, which just about defeats the purpose. I mostly keep it around for the decent "Keep it now" sales. Used to be on my Game Q I could look through the list & find several of them on sale for less than 20 bucks, so I could use it as a way to snag some decent games 6-12 months after release. Now, I can barely pay to keep the game I have. Everything is "Not for sale".

To further update the Q selection - I have noticed a few times that games seemingly all flip to "Available Now" on Sundays. Not sure how they then decide priority for the games after that. Couple of weeks ago I noticed this & decided to spring to keep the game I already had at home for $4 bucks (with the $5 coupon) & strip my list down to the 2 that I was really interested in. Diablo 3 on top of the list & Grid 2 2nd. On Monday morning they flipped to Diablo 3 - Medium & Grid 2 - High. Later that afternoon I got an email that they had shipped Grid 2.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The point of using it for me was to pay $16 a month and play through a couple $45-$60 games in that time. But the service feels flimsy and I can buy the cheaper games without the subscription, as I've done once or twice before. The stuff you're saying doesn't really sell me on the service, but I appreciate the info.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Oh no, I'm not trying to sell you on it. I'm more agreeing with you that it's not as great as it might sound. Unless you're a power gamer who's not very picky & doesn't mind playing new releases in a couple months' time, it's not worth it. Maybe if I had a PS3 as well or if I actually played Wii games more. I'll probably keep it thru the beginning of next year to try and burn through a couple of the XBone titles that I'm iffy on/

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Random time: To buy download or retail? Oy.

For some games this is not a difficult question. You look at it, know you'll only play through it once and then (if you're like me) trade it in or sell it, or maybe give it to a friend/relative, so you get the retail. Other games, you know this is a game to keep, one you'll love and cherish, so it makes sense to download.

But some games, it's difficult. For example, Scribblenauts Unmasked. I want this for 3DS so it can be portable. On the one hand, I will eventually get tired of this game, as I have its predecessors, after having fun with it. So retail, right? Except when I leave for the day, I don't take more than one cartridge game with me (the one in the slot) and if a casual game like that is in the slot, I can't bring something with more depth that I either know I'll trade later (Mario and Luigi: Dream Team) or something I play so much I wish it was on the eshop so I could bring it everywhere (Devil Survivor Overclocked). I know I'll play it more if I download it, whereas otherwise it'll stay home most of the time. This is what happened with Scribblenauts Unlimited. So download, yeah?

But then I can't get rid of it later. I know it's only a little you get from Gamestop for a Scribblenauts game, but still, that's that much less for another purchase.

I've already got a few games I'd offload if I could. In some cases, it made sense to download for convenience or because I thought I'd like it more than I did (Animal Crossing). In other cases, stupid purchase that I hated (Code of Princess). And then games that I thought would have more replay value than they do. I bought Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon from eshop thinking that I'd keep playing the multiplayer, but apparently it's too challenging for my 3DS-owning family and the online lobby is a fucking disaster.

So I don't know. Feel free to ignore this. Convenience vs $6 of store credit. Hmm...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This is entirely because the game companies are unwilling to charge less for downloads, mostly because they don't want retailers to stop carrying the physical copies and because hey, they can get away with it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This is entirely because the game companies are unwilling to charge less for downloads, mostly because they don't want retailers to stop carrying the physical copies and because hey, they can get away with it.
I know. I've been impressed with the occasional price drop, such as Atlus's $10 drop for eshop Etrian Odyssey IV, Code of Princess, and Soul Hackers, though it dropped more for the retail versions. The awesome one was Aksys dropping Virtue's Last Reward to $25 in the eshop even though it's still $40 for retail. I'll be downloading it once I have some post-Pokemon funds in the eshop.

Scribblenauts Unlimited should have dropped on the eshop; it was $5 on Steam.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey, what's the best version of Skyrim to get if I want to mod the ever-living crap out of it later?

--Patrick

Jay

Jay

Legendary

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hey, what's the best version of Skyrim to get if I want to mod the ever-living crap out of it later?

--Patrick
PC.

PatrThom

PatrThom

A-doy.

What I want to know is whether there's a difference between the Steam/GoTY/GFWL/GameTap/Wal-Mart versions that would make me want to pick one over the rest.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

A-doy.

What I want to know is whether there's a difference between the Steam/GoTY/GFWL/GameTap/Wal-Mart versions that would make me want to pick one over the rest.

--Patrick
I recommend the Legendary steam version. You can still use the Skyrim Nexus mods with it, and you also get all the stuff that comes up on the Steam Workshop.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Any reason I shouldn't get the standalone legendary version? I'm a total novice with Steam. I know what it means as a distribution platform, but beyond that, I'm clueless.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Any reason I shouldn't get the standalone legendary version? I'm a total novice with Steam. I know what it means as a distribution platform, but beyond that, I'm clueless.

--Patrick
You don't have to, but you'll miss out on about half the available mods. Still, Skyrim Nexus's mods are many and robust (and most of the best mods are there too), so it may be plenty for you.

I do recommend you get steam, though. It is bar none the best way to get games cheaply for those on a constrained budget, thanks to their biannual huge sales promotions. And there's even a large number of games available for free. At the very least, you should check out Team Fortress 2 (which is free), it'll give you a good introductory idea on how steam "works" while giving you one of the top multiplayer FPSes of all time.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

--Patrick
I'm almost certain the standalone legendary version still comes with Steam Keys.

Steam integrates a lot of functions into games that you may or may not want. For instance, the Steam Workshop gives you a way to browse mods and then integrate them without any fuss. In fact, they'll even update themselves when a new version is released. You also get stuff like leaderboards, achievements, badges, cards, and other fun stuff. This is all on top of the basic stuff like friends lists and an in-game web browser (which is glitchy as hell).

So yeah... Steam is actually pretty great.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Skyrim's DRM is through steamworks, so it's all steam, no matter how you buy it.

Frank

Frank

I have a feeling that no matter how good South Park: Stick of Truth is or how well it sells, Ubisoft is going to fuck Obsidian out of any profits from it. Bethesda did it, Sega did it, THQ probably would have and Ubisoft is no stranger to fuckery.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I doubt they would if it's a success. They need the South Park guys to be involved and they are the types that would tell Ubisoft to fuck off if they screw Obsidian out of stuff.

Frank

Frank

Mega Man X8, the apparently mediocre but entirely superior to the abysmal Mega Man X7 game, is actually affordable again on Ebay (it's spent years in the 70-100 dollar range). Suddenly it's 20-30 bucks and entirely within what I'm willing to pay for it.

I'm excited, it's like the only mainline Mega Man game (X or otherwise) I've never finished (because X7 was an abysmal pile of trash).

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Mega Man X8, the apparently mediocre but entirely superior to the abysmal Mega Man X7 game, is actually affordable again on Ebay (it's spent years in the 70-100 dollar range). Suddenly it's 20-30 bucks and entirely within what I'm willing to pay for it.

I'm excited, it's like the only mainline Mega Man game (X or otherwise) I've never finished (because X7 was an abysmal pile of trash).
It should have never been that much, unless someone is selling a sealed copy and even then it should be more like $63. Seriously. You've been looking at sealed carts. You want complete or loose ones if you just want to play the game.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Steam integrates a lot of functions into games that you may or may not want. For instance, the Steam Workshop gives you a way to browse mods and then integrate them without any fuss. In fact, they'll even update themselves when a new version is released. You also get stuff like leaderboards, achievements, badges, cards, and other fun stuff. This is all on top of the basic stuff like friends lists and an in-game web browser (which is glitchy as hell).
Combined with an always-on line DRM feature, which is abotu the only one of its type to allow you to actually go off line for up to a month (if you don't care about achievements and the like). Hate AODRM, but I can sort of live with Steam since it's flexible enoguh nowadays.[DOUBLEPOST=1381390517,1381390420][/DOUBLEPOST]
Random time: To buy download or retail? Oy.

For some games this is not a difficult question. You look at it, know you'll only play through it once and then (if you're like me) trade it in or sell it, or maybe give it to a friend/relative, so you get the retail. Other games, you know this is a game to keep, one you'll love and cherish, so it makes sense to download.
It's funny how my reasoning is the exact opposite. Reselling used games doesn't exist in Belgium (some stores are trying to launch it now, but too little too late), so for me it's a matter of retail if I want to be sure to be able to play it later, or download if it's something I could live with losing if/when the website/store goes under.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Combined with an always-on line DRM feature, which is abotu the only one of its type to allow you to actually go off line for up to a month (if you don't care about achievements and the like). Hate AODRM, but I can sort of live with Steam since it's flexible enoguh nowadays.
Yeah, this is important. Steamworks is DRM, but it's also fairly unobtrusive. It's really the best of a bad situation and much better than some things like Origin.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Combined with an always-on line DRM feature, which is abotu the only one of its type to allow you to actually go off line for up to a month
You can actually stay offline a whole lot longer. Theoretically, you can stay offline indefinitely, but you'll need to make sure to shut-down steam and your pc properly whenever you power down, as the authentication files that steam downloads to verify your games can be lost if they're in use during a power-down.

Bubble181

Bubble181

You can actually stay offline a whole lot longer. Theoretically, you can stay offline indefinitely, but you'll need to make sure to shut-down steam and your pc properly whenever you power down, as the authentication files that steam downloads to verify your games can be lost if they're in use during a power-down.
Depends. I know my computer asks for re-confirmation after about 3 weeks and stops loading after a month or so. You can probably cheat that by changing system time or whatever, but the intention is to be on line once a month.

Yeah, this is important. Steamworks is DRM, but it's also fairly unobtrusive. It's really the best of a bad situation and much better than some things like Origin.
Absolutely. Though there's always the Shining Beacon of Awesome that is GOG.com.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Absolutely. Though there's always the Shining Beacon of Awesome that is GOG.com.
My biggest problem with GOG is that it is all too easy to buy 100 hours of gameplay every week. And that's unsupportable.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Yay, Steam finally fixed the bug in the comment notification system. Up until recently, if someone left a comment, but deleted it before you read it, then you could end up perpetually stuck with a notification for a message you couldn't check. A minor annoyance, but it'll be nice to actually have the notification area only turn green when I actually have something to check on.

Frank

Frank

My biggest problem with GOG is that it is all too easy to buy 100 hours of gameplay every week. And that's unsupportable.

--Patrick
Humble Weekly Bundle does that for a dollar a week. It's insane. If I wanted to play through every game I have now on Steam I'd need 8+ years of free time.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I don't normally post commercials on webforums, because reasons, but Sony's "Perfect Day" commercial for the PS4 shows a surprisingly charming video-game bro-mance.

Far

Far

While that commercial is pretty good, they have the weirdest marketing team.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Weird or not, I'm feeling engaged as a consumer. They are clearly doing something right.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's one of the few commercials I've seen that really sells the idea of multiplayer.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

What's nice about it, and it mentioned in some of the comments (I know, I know... you never read the comments) is that it not only shows two friends having a nice day with each other through video games, but it does so without slamming other activities. There's a real danger when you try to approach this to show it as an alternative to, say, going outside, and both sides would slam the other as if it's opposites. "Fuck sports, play video games!" vs "Video games? Go out and REALLY LIVE!"

Instead, it stands on its own. It's really good marketing.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

As is almost always the case when Gamestop is having a buy 2, get 1 free sale, I can think of two things to buy, but not a third to get for free.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Man, replaying Tales of Vesperia. Yuri is the best protag ever.

Corrupt, murderous army general that will get away with his crimes scott-free due to social standing? Yuri throws him into a pit of quicksand and lets him die.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/batman-arkham-origins-video-review/2300-6415747/

Once again, Carolyn Petit posts a review that has a number of Gamespot readers raging against her. I can never understand why people get so worked up over a review, let alone a semantic number. On top of that, many commenters are lashing out at her personally because she's transgendered.

Bowielee

Bowielee

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/batman-arkham-origins-video-review/2300-6415747/

Once again, Carolyn Petit posts a review that has a number of Gamespot readers raging against her. I can never understand why people get so worked up over a review, let alone a semantic number. On top of that, many commenters are lashing out at her personally because she's transgendered.
This isn't the first time they've done that in regards to that journalist. Stay classy internet!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This isn't the first time they've done that in regards to that journalist. Stay classy internet!
Oh, I know. I've seen the comments on a number of her reviews. Fortunately, the personal attacks and calling her a "he" or an "it" have dropped a bit. Could be just people getting banned.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I can never understand why people get so worked up over a review, let alone a semantic number.
I'm amazed this is one of those games that people even give a shit about.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'll admit it, I bought Arkham Origins on release day (so I could get the preorder Deathstroke content) and from what I've played of it, it's basically an Arkham City clone in almost every way. The menus for your upgrades maps and such are ugly as hell though. I've also had a few glitches, far too many for this early in the game. The first fight is against Killer Croc and in the second half of the fight, he literally disappeared and I had to fight an invisible Croc (on a purely stylistic note, Croc looks dumb as hell. He looks like Toad when he got turned into a Goomba in the Super Mario Brothers movie). And there's a mysterious guy named Enigma who leaves clues all over the place. /sarcasm/Wonder who the hell he is./sarcasm/.

I'm fairly certain the 5 hour estimate I've heard is incorrect as I'm an hour in and haven't gotten that far. It does look like it will be shorter, though.

Overall, it's mediocre. I had completely forgotten that Rocksteady wasn't doing this one when I bought it, so my bad on that front.

One thing that I DO like, stylistically, is the Christmas theme and the fact that it firmly takes place right after The Long Halloween, which is one of my favorite Batman stories.

Jay

Jay

3.5 on 10 from Destructoid.

Terrik

Terrik

Guys I hate EA but I like Battlefield. Shit.

Frank

Frank

I'll admit it, I bought Arkham Origins on release day (so I could get the preorder Deathstroke content) and from what I've played of it, it's basically an Arkham City clone in almost every way. The menus for your upgrades maps and such are ugly as hell though. I've also had a few glitches, far too many for this early in the game. The first fight is against Killer Croc and in the second half of the fight, he literally disappeared and I had to fight an invisible Croc (on a purely stylistic note, Croc looks dumb as hell. He looks like Toad when he got turned into a Goomba in the Super Mario Brothers movie). And there's a mysterious guy named Enigma who leaves clues all over the place. /sarcasm/Wonder who the hell he is./sarcasm/.

I'm fairly certain the 5 hour estimate I've heard is incorrect as I'm an hour in and haven't gotten that far. It does look like it will be shorter, though.

Overall, it's mediocre. I had completely forgotten that Rocksteady wasn't doing this one when I bought it, so my bad on that front.

One thing that I DO like, stylistically, is the Christmas theme and the fact that it firmly takes place right after The Long Halloween, which is one of my favorite Batman stories.
You can shoot through the main story pretty quickly, or play fetch sidequests and pad it out but yeah, the 5 hour playtime thing seems to be internet hyperbole. The glitches are out of control at points. I've had to restart the game a few times because doors would bug closed and I couldn't progress (this padded some playtime onto the game because I would explore every nook and cranny of a level thinking I missed something). The combat can get annoying too, with Batman basically just choosing to not continue the combo, despite my stick pushed towards the nearest standing enemy, he'll just take a swing at the air and my 28 hit combo is reset. Infuriating at times, worse is when this causes an enemy to get a cheap hit in when he shouldn't have been able to.

The really big brightspot on this game is the soundtrack. Christopher Drake generally does a pretty fantastic job (his soundtracks are my favorite parts of a lot of the newer DC animated films, especially his Justice League theme found in Crisis on Two Earths and Doom).

I would like to see a proper open world Batman game (not these lifeless imitations that City and Origins are). Even better would be a Batman Beyond one.

Frank

Frank

"YES, THIS GAME IS EXCLUSIVE TO ONE CONSOLE NOW!"

Why are you happy about this? What kind of empty life do you lead where this is something that makes you happy? This attitude is mind-boggling.

I guess this is that sort of people:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

"YES, THIS GAME IS EXCLUSIVE TO ONE CONSOLE NOW!"

Why are you happy about this? What kind of empty life do you lead where this is something that makes you happy? This attitude is mind-boggling.

I guess this is that sort of people:

Microsoft must have dumped a HUGE amount of money in EA's lap for this to have happened.

Bowielee

Bowielee

You can shoot through the main story pretty quickly, or play fetch sidequests and pad it out but yeah, the 5 hour playtime thing seems to be internet hyperbole. The glitches are out of control at points. I've had to restart the game a few times because doors would bug closed and I couldn't progress (this padded some playtime onto the game because I would explore every nook and cranny of a level thinking I missed something). The combat can get annoying too, with Batman basically just choosing to not continue the combo, despite my stick pushed towards the nearest standing enemy, he'll just take a swing at the air and my 28 hit combo is reset. Infuriating at times, worse is when this causes an enemy to get a cheap hit in when he shouldn't have been able to.

The really big brightspot on this game is the soundtrack. Christopher Drake generally does a pretty fantastic job (his soundtracks are my favorite parts of a lot of the newer DC animated films, especially his Justice League theme found in Crisis on Two Earths and Doom).

I would like to see a proper open world Batman game (not these lifeless imitations that City and Origins are). Even better would be a Batman Beyond one.
Also, in Arkham City it seemed like pretty much every ledge was a grapple point, in this game, I'm finding myself constantly searching for grapple points.

Frank

Frank

For sure, it feels like half the buildings are randomly not grappleable.

Frank

Frank

I'm mad that I did not know about Hot Pepper Gaming. Funniest review gimmick ever.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, EgoRaptor has a fucking stroke talking about Monster Hunter, it's hilarious.[DOUBLEPOST=1383630776,1383630647][/DOUBLEPOST]Also it might be the one you linked, but there's another where the girl gets super pissed at a cat that's off-screen drinking her glass of milk while she suffers.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, I posted the egoraptor one a few months ago I think. Was pretty funny.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Not sure where else to post this, so ... I got my gelaskins for my 3DS XL finally! I designed it after Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor:

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm mad that I did not know about Hot Pepper Gaming. Funniest review gimmick ever.
I found reviews using the speech jammer more funny, possibly because no actual physical pain was involved, causing less squirming on my part.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

I found reviews using the speech jammer more funny, possibly because no actual physical pain was involved, causing less squirming on my part.

--Patrick
AMAZING!

Oh man, I am missing out on gimmick reviews.

Frank

Frank

Seriously, all those launch titles are ass.

Jay

Jay

What sucks ass is the PS4 having less features than the 3 beyond the obvious main spec upgrades.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah I see these round-the-store line ups for consoles and wonder what they're going to do after they finish all two-three games worth playing.

Though for PS4 apparently the only things worth playing are pulled from PSN, as Knack is getting nothing but horrible, horrible reviews.

Frank

Frank

It doesn't even mention the undoubtedly boatload of hardware issues both consoles are going to be saddled with until they do their first or second hardware revisions.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It doesn't even mention the undoubtedly boatload of hardware issues both consoles are going to be saddled with until they do their first or second hardware revisions.
I'm basically waiting until they do the first BIG revision of each console. I haven't had a single issue with my slimline 360 in the 3-4 years I've had it.

Jay

Jay

Remember when the SNES didn't need revisions.....

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Remember when the SNES didn't need revisions.....
Remember when the NES did?

Frank

Frank

And they did the SNES anyway.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Remember when the NES did?

I remember that abomination being a sucky pariah nobody wanted.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Those top loaders were fundamentally better. Seriously.

Frank

Frank

The similar SNES redesign was worse though, I know of the two I've used, they both work way less reliably than SNES original.

The NES one, a billion times better than vanilla NES.

Bowielee

Bowielee

When I finally get my career rolling and get my student loans paid off, I'm planning on becoming a classic game console collector.

Frank

Frank

I still have a sizable console collection, but I'm not passionate about it at all anymore. Now they all just sit in big rubber tubs in my storage room.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I still play my old games, but a lot of them look terrible now or I simply don't have hook-ups for because of the changing input formats. I'm going to need to look at one of those retro consoles and see if they have proper inputs.

But yes... I enjoy old games like old movies. I'll probably keep my collection as long as I have space for it.

Frank

Frank

If I ever do purge my old gaming shit, I'll be damned before I get rid of my 3DO stuff. I am still one of the biggest 3DO fanboys to walk this terrible lonely road all 3DO fans walk.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've still got all my old consoles and games. Still on the fence about selling it all off, as some of it's just not worth much while other games are.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've only sold a game system once, and it was a traumatic experience.

In my youth, I decided to sell my Sega Genesis and all of my games for it (including the sonic and knuckles combo cart) so that I could buy... get ready for it... a Nintendo Virtual Boy.

Yep... that happened.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I've still got all my old consoles and games. Still on the fence about selling it all off, as some of it's just not worth much while other games are.
This is my biggest thing. Most of my games are completely worthless, but the few I have that aren't would ether be too expensive to replace or simply no one in their right minds to part with. So if I sell them off I would never be able to replace them if I have more space later on.

PatrThom

PatrThom

When I finally get my career rolling and get my student loans paid off, I'm planning on becoming a classic game console collector.
I sooooooooooooooo want one of these.

--Patrick

Jay

Jay

In my youth, I decided to sell my Sega Genesis and all of my games for it ... for a Nintendo Virtual Boy.
what-the-f-tom-delonge.gif

bhamv3

bhamv3

In his defense, to a young person in the 90s, the idea of having your own 3D virtual reality machine can be too attractive to pass up.

In his offense, wasn't the Virtual Boy pretty much universally panned once it came out? Pretty much everyone said "Kinda cool, but it sucks." Shoulda read a review or two first!

Jay

Jay

I still have my Sega Genesis and SNES in a box. I'll never get rid of them

I do however play these on emulators regularly though. Don't feel like plugging them in, LOLz.

Wrapping up my 20+ game of Buck Rodgers, playing NHL 94 (with new roster mod) on the Genesis and playing Dragon Quest 3 and Earthbound for the 10+ time.

Sadly, I took all my vacay in December so I won't play as much as usual with the last 2 weeks of December being emulation time with 90% of the office closed.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Late to the party, but I am still a bit sad that Nintendo took all the stuff I used to enjoy using on the Wii - the news channel, the Mii stuff and such - because they wanted to focus more on the Wii U.

It's somewhat ironic - I got the Wii because it was supposed to be the "gaming console of the future" or some such nonsense, and now it's... well, I don't know. It's got that rep of being the redheaded stepchild of gaming consoles.

And yet, I still like it - even though I don't play it much.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I sooooooooooooooo want one of these.

--Patrick
I sank so many quarters into that thing. I thought the nadir ZENITH of pinball was reached with Pinbot... but I was wrong. No machine before or since compares to the Addams Family pinball game.

drifter

drifter

So, was Pinbot good or bad? The use of nadir is throwing me off.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So, was Pinbot good or bad? The use of nadir is throwing me off.
GAGH

I sank so many quarters into that thing. I thought the nadir ZENITH of pinball was reached with Pinbot... but I was wrong. No machine before or since compares to the Addams Family pinball game.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I don't know... Twilight Zone is pretty fucking bad ass. It also had that special multiball made out of rubber that would bounce around more than other ones.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I think my favorite pinball game was probably Taxi, or Monster Bash. I spent so much money on those machines.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm sorry. There are so many options, so much to do on that table. Plus when you start multiball, the table looked and sounded like you were getting ready to blast off into orbit.
Like @GasBandit says, I have yet to see a table before or since that tops it.

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm pretty much a fan of any pinball game that multiple stages and goals.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm sorry. There are so many options, so much to do on that table. Plus when you start multiball, the table looked and sounded like you were getting ready to blast off into orbit.
Like @GasBandit says, I have yet to see a table before or since that tops it.

--Patrick
Hell yes. The first time I got multiball on Addams Family, I was worried the machine might actually explode.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hell yes. The first time I got multiball on Addams Family, I was worried the machine might actually explode.
For those who didn't actually play it:
The player has just sunk the ball to start multiball.
Regardless of what else is going on, the field suddenly goes dark, and then this happens.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

For those who didn't actually play it:
The player has just sunk the ball to start multiball.
Regardless of what else is going on, the field suddenly goes dark, and then this happens.

--Patrick
Wow, somebody not just uploaded a video of that, they made a youtube account specifically to only upload that one video. Wonder why. Probably to show his internet friends how awesome that pinball game is, same as you.

Frank

Frank

I've never played that Addams Family pinball, so I don't know if it's better, but the best pinball machine I remember ever playing was the original early 90s Simpsons pinball. It was in the comic shop that was 5 minutes from my house when I was in junior high. I loved this God damn machine.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Ugh... this reminds me that I need to repair and sell my grandfather's old pinball machine. Thing is so old that it runs on nickles, has inverted flippers, and your score is measured by lights on the backboard and not an accurate count. Been out in my garage for 16 years because the power cord exploded one day while playing it. It's probably full of god knows what now.

Frank

Frank

I'll probably never play it, because Killer Instinct sucks, but man, the soundtrack is fucking good stuff.

This medley goes Orchid, main theme, Glacius, Thunder, Sadira, Sabrewulf, Spinal teaser[DOUBLEPOST=1385015985,1385015832][/DOUBLEPOST]

Different main theme, Jago, Character Select.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Is anyone else seeing the Halforums title/menu bar where Frank has posted KI soundtrack stuff?

2013_11_21 Halforums go home you're drunk.PNG

bhamv3

bhamv3

... I see a pair of Halforums banners. Does anyone else see that?

EDIT: PEEEEEEEZZZZ!!!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Here's a test. It's the first song Frank tried to imbed, from soundcloud.

Weird, forum software must be messed up. It's not just a banner, it's the actual website, fully interactable, but in banner shape.

Frank

Frank

Works fine on Dark.[DOUBLEPOST=1385020029,1385019924][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, fuck Thunder's music is good.

Bowielee

Bowielee

It works in IE, but not Firefox, but that means having to use IE, which... ewww...

Frank

Frank

I'm using Chrome.

Bowielee

Bowielee

See my last post, and replace IE with Chrome.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Firefox here, also seeing halforums banners in blackend blue.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I loooooooooved KI on arcades and N64, but I hate that it's a f2p and pay to unlock shitstack now. Sabrewulf was my jam.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I loooooooooved KI on arcades and N64, but I hate that it's a f2p and pay to unlock shitstack now. Sabrewulf was my jam.
Actually, now that it's getting closer, it's going to be cheaper than a full retail game to get all the characters in one pack and the quick look Giant Bomb posted makes it look great. However, it's an Xbone exclusive so, I'll never touch it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Is anyone else seeing the Halforums title/menu bar where Frank has posted KI soundtrack stuff?
... I see a pair of Halforums banners. Does anyone else see that?
That'll happen if you have plug-ins disabled. Probably adblock or something like that.

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't use adblock on Halforums, and I also don't disable add-ons. Adblock is the only active add-on that I use with FF.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Same here, I don't use Adblock here at work.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Annnd looks like I'm done with GameFly.

Last week I sent the game I had back in. I stripped my GameQ down to 2 XB1 games, Forza & DR3.

I've been with GF for 5 1/2 years now. Started with the 2-at-a-time plan. Cut back to 1 a couple of years in because I was only ever concentrating one 1 game at a time. I usually get a game, keep it for 3 months (or more), & pay the "Keep It" price before my $5 GF bucks expire.

As I said before, in all the time I've been with GF, I've never gotten a game that wasn't "Available Now". High, Medium, Low... nuh-uh. Might as well say unavailable. So like I said, stripped my Q down to 2 XB1 titles, annnnd today both flipped from "Available soon" to "Low". Translation, "never gonna get it, never gonna get it, neeeever gonna get it, never gonna get it...". Keep in mind I have NO game out right now, so I'm still paying for... nothing. So they have until early nect week to send me something or I'm out.

So the ONLY thing I can figure that matters regarding queue priority is that the people on the 3 disc plans get first dibs. Fuck em.

I dunno, racing games are iffy with me anyways, so I may just see if I can find one at a redbox.

MindDetective

MindDetective

So the ONLY thing I can figure that matters regarding queue priority is that the people on the 3 disc plans get first dibs. Fuck em.
I've suspected as much for a good while.

Frank

Frank

So I heard this piece of music for the next Castlevania Lords of Shadow game and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck what a great building piece. It got me pumped so hard.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Not sure how I missed it, with the comments above. But if you love pinball, there's a great app / game for some classic pinball games.

Pinball Arcade

I believe it's now available for most platforms (iOS, Android, PC/Mac via Steam, PlayStation systems). They have recreated some of the great pinball machines of the last 30 years & done a fantastic job of it. I love pinball, but since my local arcade closed down about 10 years ago, finding real pinballs are few & far between. Nevermind what a crapshoot the condition of the machine is.

They started out with some of the good ones - Arabian Nights, Ripley's Believe It or Not, Theatre of Magic - & they have released about 2 tables a month since. Lots of good ones. Twilight Zone (perhaps my all time favorite), Monster Bash, Medieval Madness, Funhouse, Star Trek: TNG, Attack from Mars, Terminator 2. They're working on more. They have to secure the licenses for these games, which for some is harder than others. The Star Trek & T2 games they had to run a kickstarter campaign to buy the rights for.

Tables themselves aren't cheap, but not super expensive (usually $5 for a 2-table pack, entire "seasons" of 20ish tables for $30). They also have "pro-modes" available on some tables, which gives you operator access to the coin-door menus so you can set up the table how you want it.

I myself prefer to play it on my iPad. The portrait orientation view available on a tablet allows a view of the entire playfield at once, without the irritating scrolling you'll find in most pinball simulators. I also bought the app for my 360, but due to publisher restrictions & problems with microsoft, there hasn't been any support for the game past the first couple of table packs.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I kind of want Scribblenauts Unmasked, but I also know that by this time next year there should be another Scribblenauts game out, and Unmasked will sink down to $10.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Maybe it's because I grew up on it and saw/heard arguments as early as Nintendo vs. Sega, but I'm really sick of comment sections filled with arguments about which is better, Xbox or Playstation (or even PC). By now, this is all I hear:

My system is better than your system!
No, my system is better than your system!
My system can do this!
Yeah well, my system can do this!
MY system can play these games. Yours can't!
I don't wanna play those games. I wanna play THESE games that MY system has and yours doesn't!
My system has the best graphics.
No, MY system has the best graphics!
My system could beat up your system!
Nuh uh!
Yuh huh!
Nuh uh!
Yuh huh!

Rinse, lather, repeat.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Maybe it's because I grew up on it and saw/heard arguments as early as Nintendo vs. Sega, but I'm really sick of comment sections filled with arguments about which is better, Xbox or Playstation (or even PC). By now, this is all I hear:

My system is better than your system!
No, my system is better than your system!
My system can do this!
Yeah well, my system can do this!
MY system can play these games. Yours can't!
I don't wanna play those games. I wanna play THESE games that MY system has and yours doesn't!
My system has the best graphics.
No, MY system has the best graphics!
My system could beat up your system!
Nuh uh!
Yuh huh!
Nuh uh!
Yuh huh!

Rinse, lather, repeat.

This, yes?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

In a nutshell. Oh, how I wish I could belt some of those fanboys. From any group.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Nintendo vs Sega. Those were the good days. Two awesome system slugging it out.

Then Sega made the CD, 32X, Saturn ... oh Sega, you poor misguided fools. Wait, no, fuck that, I saved up for a fucking 32X and got lectured by my parents about wasting money, and they were right! That was the last frivolous lecture before the "it's not your fault" pre-divorce lectures. Thanks a lot, Sega.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Nintendo vs Sega. Those were the good days. Two awesome system slugging it out.

Then Sega made the CD, 32X, Saturn ... oh Sega, you poor misguided fools. Wait, no, fuck that, I saved up for a fucking 32X and got lectured by my parents about wasting money, and they were right! That was the last frivolous lecture before the "it's not your fault" pre-divorce lectures. Thanks a lot, Sega.

I sold my Sega Genesis to buy a Virtual Boy. So, just think, it could have been worse.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

In a nutshell. Oh, how I wish I could belt some of those fanboys. From any group.
My switch is better than your belt.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I, uh, I still have all my old systems.

So there's that.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I, uh, I still have all my old systems.

So there's that.
This. I still have my entire collection that ages back to 1990. I'm not planning to part with them for many years, if ever.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I sold my Sega Genesis to buy a Virtual Boy. So, just think, it could have been worse.
I sold my Sega Genesis, 32X, all the Sonic and other games I had ... had enough to buy Legend of Mana for PS1.

... who am I kidding? You got it worse. At least I had pretty music and graphics. You got a red box of optic death.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I sold my Sega Genesis, 32X, all the Sonic and other games I had ... had enough to buy Legend of Mana for PS1.

... who am I kidding? You got it worse. At least I had pretty music and graphics. You got a red box of optic death.
You know... I did get glasses soon after...

bhamv3

bhamv3

I chose to get a Saturn over a Playstation.

I got to play Fighters Megamix on my Saturn, so no regrets at all.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Even though I wasn't a fan of the game itself, Chrono Cross did have an awesome soundtrack. In particular, its opening theme:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Biggest problems with Chrono Cross:

- Most of the cast of Chrono Trigger killed off-screen
- Robo gets killed for virtually no reason, right after showing up
- Diverse cast gets little to no character development. The ones that do (Glenn, Divas, Fargo, etc) tend to be vastly more powerful than the rest.
- No explanation as to how Lavos was able to do what it did.
- Schala story never resolved. Game ends on cliff hanger.

The game itself is fun and interesting, but we really need a sequel to finish the story stuff introduced in Chrono Trigger DS and Chrono Cross.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Biggest problems with Chrono Cross:

- Most of the cast of Chrono Trigger killed off-screen
- Robo gets killed for virtually no reason, right after showing up
- Diverse cast gets little to no character development. The ones that do (Glenn, Divas, Fargo, etc) tend to be vastly more powerful than the rest.
- No explanation as to how Lavos was able to do what it did.
- Schala story never resolved. Game ends on cliff hanger.

The game itself is fun and interesting, but we really need a sequel to finish the story stuff introduced in Chrono Trigger DS and Chrono Cross.
Schala story gets a resolution if you play the Chrono Cross for the Time Devourer, but it isn't explained why Schala merging with the Mammom Machine would cause any of that shit to happen. What my 10th grade brain was able to conjure up as far as explanations go, if correct, were really stupid anyway. There's also a really dumb loophole created with FATE and Chronopolis having been thrown back so many years.

I would suggest Square abandoned the series because they couldn't make sense of the paradoxical mess they'd introduced in Chrono Cross's story, but nonsense hasn't stopped them in the Final Fantasy series. Though I will say that games like Chrono Cross and Xenogears had confusing narratives with still threads of logic working through them so that having discussions about them had merit ... unlike later Square-Enix crap.

Jay

Jay

I still remember my disappointment playing Cross for the first time. It was lame. I replayed it much later in life, it's decent but a huge step down from Trigger it's not even funny.

Some may call it nostalgia but let's be honest, Trigger was awesome across the board. Heck, once I get through the games I'm playing now, I'll prolly play it for the 20th time.

I'd pay good money to play Trigger like the first time again.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I still remember my disappointment playing Cross for the first time. It was lame. I replayed it much later in life, it's decent but a huge step down from Trigger it's not even funny.

Some may call it nostalgia but let's be honest, Trigger was awesome across the board. Heck, once I get through the games I'm playing now, I'll prolly play it for the 20th time.

I'd pay good money to play Trigger like the first time again.
I've purchased chrono trigger so many times it's not even funny. I have it on SNES, PSN, PSVita, Gameboy Advance (or was it DS?), and it's the first game I emulate any time I put homebrew onto something like a smartphone or other tweaked device.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Schala story gets a resolution if you play the Chrono Cross for the Time Devourer, but it isn't explained why Schala merging with the Mammom Machine would cause any of that shit to happen. What my 10th grade brain was able to conjure up as far as explanations go, if correct, were really stupid anyway. There's also a really dumb loophole created with FATE and Chronopolis having been thrown back so many years.
Except that doesn't really explain where she's gone or what's happened to her. She's free... but she's not found so Magus/Guile is probably still out there looking for her. It's really just unsatisfying.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I tried to get the little woman interested in Chrono Trigger, telling her it was bar none the best single player RPG to come out of the 90s console era.

She got soooo bored of it. :(

Bubble181

Bubble181

best single player RPG
Such an odd statement, because "RPG" is such a wide genre. I love Kotor-style games, I really like Elder Scrolls type games, I'm a huge fan of the M&M or Ultiam style games...I'm growing more and more fond of RPG/RTS or RPG/TBS combos (as Heroes of Might and Magic and such start going more RPG-y), but I've never liked a JRPG...And I've never played an FF in my life for more than 5 minutes.

I know I'm an abomination and all that, but how does one decide that?

Also, would you say Chrono Trigger still holds up? Or was it awesome but unfortunately caught up by moving technology and UI? Or...?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Looks like Disney is trying to get in on the Animal Crossing fun.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Such an odd statement, because "RPG" is such a wide genre. I love Kotor-style games, I really like Elder Scrolls type games, I'm a huge fan of the M&M or Ultiam style games...I'm growing more and more fond of RPG/RTS or RPG/TBS combos (as Heroes of Might and Magic and such start going more RPG-y), but I've never liked a JRPG...And I've never played an FF in my life for more than 5 minutes.

I know I'm an abomination and all that, but how does one decide that?

Also, would you say Chrono Trigger still holds up? Or was it awesome but unfortunately caught up by moving technology and UI? Or...?
Most SNES/Genesis and PS1-era RPGs tend to hold up rather well, SNES especially. FF IV-VI, Secret of Mana, CT, EarthBound, Lufia II, Terranigma, SoulBlazer and more are still a lot of fun. However, I've been a huge fan of RPG and JRPG games since I was playing DragonQuest/FF1 on NES, so my opinions are biased.

Frank

Frank

Best old school console RPG? Certainly. I still prefer the late 90s CRPGs.

Jay

Jay

Most SNES/Genesis and PS1-era RPGs tend to hold up rather well, SNES especially. FF IV-VI, Secret of Mana, CT, EarthBound, Lufia II, Terranigma, SoulBlazer and more are still a lot of fun. However, I've been a huge fan of RPG and JRPG games since I was playing DragonQuest/FF1 on NES, so my opinions are biased.
Brofist for Lufia 2.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

My 3DS XL is broken. Turned it on, home screen makes nothing work--no directions, no buttons except A, no touch screen. If I go into the only game it can access, the cartridge, most buttons work, but the touch screen is still fucked. Going back to home screen, touch screen remains fucked. Can't access system, so I can't even transfer my stuff to another 3DS XL. The only thing I can access is screen brightness, but without touch support, that doesn't work.

So, I guess goodbye to it for 3 weeks while Nintendo fixes it (aka replaces it with a different refurbished one) and possibly goodbye to some of my game saves that can't be backed up, like Monster Hunter and Pokemon. If I lose the Pokemon I've had since 2007 now that I transferred them to Y ... fucking hell.

I'm so pissed.

Jay

Jay

My 3DS XL is broken. Turned it on, home screen makes nothing work--no directions, no buttons except A, no touch screen. If I go into the only game it can access, the cartridge, most buttons work, but the touch screen is still fucked. Going back to home screen, touch screen remains fucked. Can't access system, so I can't even transfer my stuff to another 3DS XL. The only thing I can access is screen brightness, but without touch support, that doesn't work.

So, I guess goodbye to it for 3 weeks while Nintendo fixes it (aka replaces it with a different refurbished one) and possibly goodbye to some of my game saves that can't be backed up, like Monster Hunter and Pokemon. If I lose the Pokemon I've had since 2007 now that I transferred them to Y ... fucking hell.

I'm so pissed.

Come back to PC gaming you dirty casual.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Come back to PC gaming you dirty casual.
Now, now. People can have both Nintendo and PC.

Dei

Dei

filmfanatic said:
Now, now. People can have both Nintendo and PC.
Truth, I can't bring my PC in the car while I sit around waiting for school pickup.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Today has shown me just how often I'll grab my 3DS for this and that. I can't really dither around on a PC game before bed and I don't want to set up the TV.

So I guess I either rely on handhelds less or break out my PSP for the first time in over two years.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

And here's a solution. Downloading Earthbound; can play it on the Wii U gamepad.[DOUBLEPOST=1392267874,1392267485][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm not gonna play tonight; I'm just gonna jam to the "name everything" menu music until I pass out.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Apparently the problems with my 3DS XL sometimes happen when people use a screen protector. So my conundrum is, on the one hand I don't want to break my 3DS, but on the other hand I don't want to scrape and scratch it to hell when I play Kid Icarus Uprising.

"Couldn't you just play Kid Icarus carefully--"

That is not how the game is played.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Apparently the problems with my 3DS XL sometimes happen when people use a screen protector. So my conundrum is, on the one hand I don't want to break my 3DS, but on the other hand I don't want to scrape and scratch it to hell when I play Kid Icarus Uprising.

"Couldn't you just play Kid Icarus carefully--"

That is not how the game is played.
I've owned several DS's (DSphat, DS-Lite, 3DS, and 3DS XL) and have never used a screen protector with any of them. And never has the screen ever become scratched or worn. As long as you're using the proper stylus, it should be ok.

Unless you're one of those people who try to drive the stylus through the screen.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

My 3DS has the scratches from the top screen... nothing I can do about it. It's just a design flaw.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I've owned several DS's (DSphat, DS-Lite, 3DS, and 3DS XL) and have never used a screen protector with any of them. And never has the screen ever become scratched or worn. As long as you're using the proper stylus, it should be ok.

Unless you're one of those people who try to drive the stylus through the screen.
... sometimes. Kid Icarus Uprising multi-player gets intense.

I played single player today and tried to be gentle--that seemed okay. Maybe I'll do some multi later. I'm gonna become anal about specks of dust and grit on the lower screen, but as long as I clean it frequently, it should be fine.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Welp, virtual reality has come to Hyrule.

Jay

Jay

Was driving today, decided to hit my game music shuffle mix (800+ songs). This came on while the rain was poring on.

IT'S SO GOOD.

THE VORTEX IS TEARING THE SHIP APART!!!!

NOOO! I WILL NOT BE DENIED!!!!

Such a great game. It was PERFECT.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The two Cybertron games are so fucking great. Ripping the Insecticons up as Grimlok was incredibly satisfying.

Jay

Jay

The two Cybertron games are so fucking great. Ripping the Insecticons up as Grimlok was incredibly satisfying.
AWWW YIIIIS.

Grimlok was one of my favorite parts of the game.

Honestly, when the "worst" part of the game is controlling Optimus Prime... which is still awesome... you're doing something right.

The voice acting was top notch and the delivery of lines, amazing.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Welp, virtual reality has come to Hyrule.
That mofo is killing BLUE creatures with a wood sword in one hit?! SHENANIGANS

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

AWWW YIIIIS.

Grimlok was one of my favorite parts of the game.

Honestly, when the "worst" part of the game is controlling Optimus Prime... which is still awesome... you're doing something right.

The voice acting was top notch and the delivery of lines, amazing.
I was really surprised at how good the overall story was. I loved the way they handled Grimlok's de-evolution, among other things. I genuinely felt bad for the guy as his chapter progressed.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man. Nintendo S&P is way more lax than it was back in my day.

Frank

Frank

Man, forever I had thought about why I liked Final Fantasy 8 more than 9 despite 8 being dumb as mud with a terrible mechanic in the draw system. Then, finally, it dawned on me. 8 has one of the best minigames ever. Triple Triad. Hell, it's so fun, the forums even had a game based on it for a time. 9 followed up Triple Triad with that abortion of a card game Tetra Master. Fuck Tetra Master. Fuck you Final Fantasy 9.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Man, forever I had thought about why I liked Final Fantasy 8 more than 9 despite 8 being dumb as mud with a terrible mechanic in the draw system. Then, finally, it dawned on me. 8 has one of the best minigames ever. Triple Triad. Hell, it's so fun, the forums even had a game based on it for a time. 9 followed up Triple Triad with that abortion of a card game Tetra Master. Fuck Tetra Master. Fuck you Final Fantasy 9.
I hate FF8, but I had an affection for Triple Triad. And yeah, Tetra Master was a poor excuse/replacement.

But Blitzball is still the best FF minigame.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Augh gawd... I hated triple triad, didn't play 9, and absolutely abhored blitzball. Maybe I was the only one.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

FF8 also started the trend of linking minigames to getting the best equipment in the game. I hated that shit. Just send me on a quest or something.

Also, EverQuest II has this thing called SoEmote. It calibrates your character to your webcam, and uses motion tracking to match your eye/mouth/head movements to the character. It's a bizarre but hilarious feature.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I felt FF8's Triple Triad was a time saver, but not necessarily required for the best equipment and junctions. Modding cards could get you the magic and crafting components faster, but you could still farm enemies and draw the magic manually, generally speaking.

Plus Rinoa is hot. Hotter than Tifa, hotter than Garnet, hotter than Yuna and Lulu and Rikku.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've been slowly playing the Steam version of FF8. It comes with a Draw Booster that basically gives you 100 of a list of spells (excluding the super OP stuff like Ultima/Meltdown/etc). I used it because fuck Draw. The game's a lot more fun without worrying about it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hotter than Tifa? Isn't that some kind of FF sacrilege/blasphemy? Sure, maybe the later Advent-Children-Emo-look tifa... but it's hard to beat the shorts, tank top and suspenders Tifa. She's got huuuuuuge... value to the party as a damage dealer.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hotter than Tifa? Isn't that some kind of FF sacrilege/blasphemy? Sure, maybe the later Advent-Children-Emo-look tifa... but it's hard to beat the shorts, tank top and suspenders Tifa. She's got huuuuuuge... value to the party as a damage dealer.
I've always liked Rinoa best because she feels the most "real". Tifa's, ah, damage is nice, but I simply prefer Rinoa.

Frank

Frank

Ha ha, one of my buddies in high school was dating a girl that was a dead ringer for a real life Quistis. When they broke up he was lonely and bored so I lent him my copy of FF8 without really thinking too much about it. The game fucking crushed him and he couldn't bear to play it.

It was fucking hilarious hearing him cry over the phone because a video game character broke his heart. First loves are harsh.

Jay

Jay

Cloud in women's clothes... does this count?

IMHO? Enima.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ha ha, one of my buddies in high school was dating a girl that was a dead ringer for a real life Quistis. When they broke up he was lonely and bored so I lent him my copy of FF8 without really thinking too much about it. The game fucking crushed him and he couldn't bear to play it.

It was fucking hilarious hearing him cry over the phone because a video game character broke his heart. First loves are harsh.
Ahh, Quistis...

GasBandit

GasBandit

I feel another round of quistis gifs coming on.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I felt FF8's Triple Triad was a time saver, but not necessarily required for the best equipment and junctions. Modding cards could get you the magic and crafting components faster, but you could still farm enemies and draw the magic manually, generally speaking.

Plus Rinoa is hot. Hotter than Tifa, hotter than Garnet, hotter than Yuna and Lulu and Rikku.
I thought Rinoa looked like most of the characters in FF8--a blurry blob of pixels. Even back when it came out, I felt it was too early for Square to be trying realistically-proportioned characters.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I thought Rinoa looked like most of the characters in FF8--a blurry blob of pixels. Even back when it came out, I felt it was too early for Square to be trying realistically-proportioned characters.
Oh yeah, we're talking entirely the CGI FMV cutscenes here. The actual gameplay models in FF8 all look like somebody in the wooden fence materials warehouse accidentally dropped a pallet of wooden slats and tried to hide it by covering the pile up with a leather jacket.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It was still better than FF7: Lego Edition

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It was still better than FF7: Lego Edition
Honestly I'd prefer FF7's models both in and out of combat over FF8's. The tech just wasn't there to make them look good. Textures looked stretched and weird while the bodies were stiff and rather low-poly. Personally I think FF9 managed the best looking characters because the style worked so well with the technology limitations.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Psht, in-game Rinoa is fine! She looks aweso...

Rinoa&Angelo.PNG

Wow, nostalgia has really colored my perceptions.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The DOG looks better than she does.

Terrik

Terrik

The DOG looks better than she does.
They're both fine bitches.

I'm sorry.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Wow, nostalgia has really colored my perceptions.
Nostalgia.+Final+Fantasy+7+FF7+Crisis+Core_2158c5_4681686.jpg

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

... yep, that's accurate. We've been tainted by Dissidia and Advent Children's portrayals of the world and characters that I don't even stop to think how blocky it used to be.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's not our fault that we have good imaginations.

...actually it is but shhhhhh...
--Patrick

Terrik

Terrik

I blame hentai.

What?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I had to tear off my Devil Survivor 3DS skin to send the thing in to Nintendo, so I had to make a new one and decided on a Zelda theme this time:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I need to get a 3DS skin sometime...

Dei

Dei

I need to get a 3DS skin sometime...
I highly recommend http://www.decalgirl.com/ . Nice quality skins, and easy to fix if you fuck up putting it on.

Far

Far

Mines pretty simple but I like it.

uploadfromtaptalk1393821508729.jpg

Dei

Dei

image-4032892251.jpg

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Dei

Dei

Zero Esc said:
Camouflage!
Would work better if my DS wasn't red. ;)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

So I tend to put on Game Grumps as background noise while I play 3DS or browse the internet, as you generally don't need to watch Let's Plays when there's running commentary.

However, they've started Stick of Truth on Steam Train (the PC Let's Play show they have) and within 5-6 minutes I had to turn it off. Outside of the fact that talking over this game will ruin most of the fun, one of the guys (Ross) spoils multiple jokes within the first half of the video.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So I tend to put on Game Grumps as background noise while I play 3DS or browse the internet, as you generally don't need to watch Let's Plays when there's running commentary.

However, they've started Stick of Truth on Steam Train (the PC Let's Play show they have) and within 5-6 minutes I had to turn it off. Outside of the fact that talking over this game will ruin most of the fun, one of the guys (Ross) spoils multiple jokes within the first half of the video.
Goddamnit, Ross.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Goddamnit, Ross.
Yeah, it was definitely a GDI Ross moment. It felt like listening to a kid who's so proud to tell a joke first before someone else can.

Frank

Frank

I just read this tweet:

Combine the cartoon antics of South Park with espionage RPG elements of Alpha Protocol and I think Obsidian is primed for an Archer game.

and finally

This needs to happen.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Combine the cartoon antics of South Park with espionage RPG elements of Alpha Protocol and I think Obsidian is primed for an Archer game.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Final Fantasy VI came out in 1994.

Final Fantasy VI is 20 years old this year.

Oh God.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Final Fantasy VI is 20 years old this year.

Oh God.
I know, right? Even the Diablo franchise is only 18!

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Anyone hear about Broforce? It looks awesome.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Great gameplay preview with Jesse Coxx done a few months back.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Watched Steam Train play it, looks fun as hell.

Frank

Frank

This pissing match between Angry Joe and some IGN guy is pretty ridiculous. They both come off as fucking idiots.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Jesus Christ, games journalism needs to die. Dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Frank

Frank

8.9 and 9.0 ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DUDE!

Rovewin

Rovewin

8.9 and 9.0 ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DUDE!
Exactly! When you only have between 7 and 10 to rate a game what are you going to do?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Exactly! When you only have between 7 and 10 to rate a game what are you going to do?
Your scale goes all the way down to seven? Must be eurogamer.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Jesus Christ, games journalism needs to die. Dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
No, it just needs to not be represented by idiots and assholes like those two. Which is sadly the majority.

Frank

Frank

The IGN guy is the reviews boss. Think about that for a minute.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

No, it just needs to not be represented by idiots and assholes like those two. Which is sadly the majority.
I dunno, I think it needs to crash and die in order to really be rebuilt. Personal bias and beliefs get in the way of just talking about the game, or they're too busy fighting amongst themselves and becoming self-indulgent twats to focus on the industry and the quality of it and the products. Advertising and gift baskets sway reviews and you're honestly lucky to see anything score under like a 6 in any magazine or website review.

It's gotten to the point that I just don't trust reviews. I remember the days of GamePro and others, wherein it felt more like people cared about showing you whether a game was worth your time and money. I don't get that feeling from reviewers now.

Terrik

Terrik

I look more to Metacritic, and thanks to steam, even if im iffy on a game, I can get it for a fraction of the price down the road.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

See, the one criticsm against many of today's reviews that bugs me is how they're too bias or personal. Except that everyone has their own opinions on what makes a great game (or movie, book, comic). Everyone has their own personal history of fond or not-so-fond memories of video games growing up. Of COURSE their personal beliefs will bleed through.

There's no such thing as a 100% objective review. You can tell people why YOU think it's great and explain why to the best of your ability, but even then, there's nothing objective about it. Pure objectivity on reviews is a myth.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I dunno, I think it needs to crash and die in order to really be rebuilt. Personal bias and beliefs get in the way of just talking about the game, or they're too busy fighting amongst themselves and becoming self-indulgent twats to focus on the industry and the quality of it and the products. Advertising and gift baskets sway reviews and you're honestly lucky to see anything score under like a 6 in any magazine or website review.

It's gotten to the point that I just don't trust reviews. I remember the days of GamePro and others, wherein it felt more like people cared about showing you whether a game was worth your time and money. I don't get that feeling from reviewers now.
My take on this? Joe's point is completely valid, even if he said nine and showed 8.9. He's simply pointing out that high profile titles often get review scores they don't deserve based on who made them and whether or not said maker will spend advertising dollars on the review site.

The other guy, however, was looking for something to nitpick because if he can discredit Joe, he doesn't have to approach his criticisms with merit. Also, he works at IGN and is therefore a fucking shill. IGN almost openly sells reviews review scores in the same way that Gamespot does. This is one of the reasons why their reviews don't contribute as much to Metacritic as something like... Rock Paper Shotgun.

Regardless, it's time we dropped the number scoring system. If we're just going to do 6-10, we might as well do letter grades.

A is a must buy.
B is a solid title or an excellent niche title.
C is ether an average game or a solid niche title.
D is a game. Barely.
F is for games so fundamentally broken that they can't even be called games.

Do that and EVERYONE will stop bitching about the meaningless numbers and start bitching about subjectivity again.

Frank

Frank

The IGN guy was correct too, Joe was taking their preview coverage and representing it as review coverage. He was being just as misleading with his points.

That argument made them both look like petulant children.[DOUBLEPOST=1398056417,1398056387][/DOUBLEPOST]
My take on this? Joe's point is completely valid, even if he said nine and showed 8.9. He's simply pointing out that high profile titles often get review scores they don't deserve based on who made them and whether or not said maker will spend advertising dollars on the review site.

The other guy, however, was looking for something to nitpick because if he can discredit Joe, he doesn't have to approach his criticisms with merit. Also, he works at IGN and is therefore a fucking shill. IGN almost openly sells reviews review scores in the same way that Gamespot does. This is one of the reasons why their reviews don't contribute as much to Metacritic as something like... Rock Paper Shotgun.

Regardless, it's time we dropped the number scoring system. If we're just going to do 6-10, we might as well do letter grades.

A is a must buy.
B is a solid title or an excellent niche title.
C is ether an average game or a solid niche title.
D is a game. Barely.
F is for games so fundamentally broken that they can't even be called games.

Do that and EVERYONE will stop bitching about the meaningless numbers and start bitching about subjectivity again.
Also, the US is one of the only places in the world that uses letter grades.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The IGN guy was correct too, Joe was taking their preview coverage and representing it as review coverage. He was being just as misleading with his points.

That argument made them both look like petulant children.[DOUBLEPOST=1398056417,1398056387][/DOUBLEPOST]

But I got a gold star...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It would still be clearer than the 4 point scale. At this point, scoring something lower than 60 is basically saying "This is completely unplayable and I want to destroy my relationship with advertisers by throwing off their averages with a low score."

Bubble181

Bubble181

It would still be clearer than the 4 point scale. At this point, scoring something lower than 60 is basically saying "This is completely unplayable and I want to destroy my relationship with advertisers by throwing off their averages with a low score."
I stopped reading that sort of reviews years ago. Blogs of interesting people with simialr tastes tell me everything I need to know. *shrug*

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

On a lighter note:

I know some people don't care for acapella, but Smooth gets better at this shit every week.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

On a lighter note:

I know some people don't care for acapella, but Smooth gets better at this shit every week.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So you guys might find this funny... I'm playing War Thunder last night, in realistic mode event, so tense, wow, very concentrate. I'm chasing down a BF-110, which the aircraft-savvy among you will recognize as a heavy fighter with a rear gunner, which makes it all the more difficult to chase and shoot down. Given that I'm in realistic mode, my ammo is limited, my plane is fragile, and as we're at an altitude of mere dozens of feet, the threat of slamming into a tree/the ground/a cliff is ever present. And just as I've got him lined up in my sights and am about to chew his wing off, the cat leaps off the desk to my left and lands on my head.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Timing.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Steam Roulette is still the best thing to ever hit gaming.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

GasBandit

GasBandit

Killing Floor has turned 5.

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

Just about lost it at, "Your sound card is working perfectly."

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

My Pokemon Black character is named My ass, because I am a responsible, working adult and butt/fart humor is hilarious.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I almost posted this thought in the Games on Sale thread but didn't want to get anyone's hopes up...

Aren't we due for a big Steam sale? Feels like we haven't had one in awhile.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I almost posted this thought in the Games on Sale thread but didn't want to get anyone's hopes up...

Summer Sale is usually around July or August. So yeah... a month or two.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Summer Sale is usually around July or August. So yeah... a month or two.
I thought we might get a Spring sale.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Humble Bundle is currently running a Spring sale in their store, if you're interested.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm sure most of us have enough unfinished and even unplayed Steam games.

I know I have at least 5 or 6 and I barely buy anything.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

With Steam Family Sharing, I suddenly have 100+ games I haven't played. It's really eating into my time.

figmentPez

figmentPez

There are weekend and mid-week sales every week, daily sales, week long sales (mostly on indie and smaller titles), and Humble Bundle has a Weekly bundle every week, and a major bundle every two weeks, plus regular sales in their store... Not to mention sales on games that redeem on Steam at other storefronts like Greenman Gaming... Just because I'm not posting them all to the thread doesn't mean that games haven't been on sale, and on sale a lot.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Frank

Frank

So, Mount and Blade: Warband. The War Sword (Warhammer) mod.

I'm teaching the peasants in my little village how to fight off a group of bandits. I know this is always punctuated with a battle with bandits. I've done this a few times with these peasants already. The time comes for the fight and I see that I'm facing down my own number in trolls. Trolls are a huge "super" infantry that you usually have less than a dozen of at most in your army (ogres, minotaurs, trolls). They cost upwards of 10 times what a normal unit costs in pay. One of them can drop me in two hits.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? I have 25 soldiers and 25 villagers and the mod decides I need to fight 50 God damn trolls?

Needless to say I ran out of ranged ammunition and had to retreat after my force was slaughtered in seconds.

THOSE AREN'T FUCKING BANDITS VILLAGERS. THAT'S A HORDE THAT NECESSITATES AN ARMY.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

GasBandit

GasBandit

He'll kick that Donkey Kong right in his Conkey Dong.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm gonna play the hell out of Mega Man when Smash Bros comes out.

Sadly, since my siblings no longer play, Donkey Kong will go largely unused. My brother's favorite thing was Donkey Kong suicide--sitting at the edge most of the match, waiting for someone to come close, then heaving them over his shoulders and making a leap of faith.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Sadly, since my siblings no longer play, Donkey Kong will go largely unused. My brother's favorite thing was Donkey Kong suicide--sitting at the edge most of the match, waiting for someone to come close, then heaving them over his shoulders and making a leap of faith.
I used to do the fake-out with Kirby. Swallow them, walk off, spit out, then float/Cutter back to the ledge.

bhamv3

bhamv3

One of my room mates (the guy who owned the console, in fact) was terrifyingly good at Fox, in the first Smash Bros game. It got to the point where the only way any of us could get him to ring-out was through Kong suicides.

I still have fond memories of sniping people from across the map with Samus.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm mostly excited to get good with Mega Man and hoping Bowser is more fun to play (as opposed to the old method of winning with him by butt-stomping till everyone was dead).

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm mostly excited to get good with Mega Man and hoping Bowser is more fun to play (as opposed to the old method of winning with him by butt-stomping till everyone was dead).
I was gonna defend him, and then you stated my favored Bowser tactic, so ... I got nothing.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Bowser is highly specialized... he's a tough fighter in a game where most characters are made of glass. But he's just so slow that it doesn't matter.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I liked Ganondorf, myself. He was slow as shit, but when you landed a hit... BAM

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I liked Ganondorf, myself. He was slow as shit, but when you landed a hit... BAM
I liked that he was basically what would happen if Falcon dropped all his speed for power.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I liked that he was basically what would happen if Falcon dropped all his speed for power.
Warlock PAUNCH!

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

And now Steam is handing out 75%-off coupons for a $7 early access game.

Ugh.

Frank

Frank

I'm very unhappy with the way Valve has been handling things as of late. I find myself not really buying anything on Steam anymore.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've got my eye on a few things, but I'm waiting for the summer sale to see if it hits 75% off.

Terrik

Terrik

And now Steam is handing out 75%-off coupons for a $7 early access game.

Ugh.
Is that bad? Does making it cheaper...make it bad? I don't get it. What am I missing?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Is that bad? Does making it cheaper...make it bad? I don't get it. What am I missing?
The issue is that Steam is promoting tons of shovelware, when all the shovelware is kind of the problem with Steam right now. They don't have a tight enough lease on what gets in anymore and now the market is just flooded with crap.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I have a wishlist with about 30 games on it, but waiting for their big Summer Sale to get some of them.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I have a wishlist with about 30 games on it, but waiting for their big Summer Sale to get some of them.
I have a wishlist with 17 games on them, but to be honest I have so much to play already I won't even buy stuff this Summer Sale unless it's an astoundingly good price. Something like 99 cents for Bioshock Infinite, or something like that.

For me, Steam has become a victim of its own success. I have so many games to play now, I'm disincentivized to buy more.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The issue is that Steam is promoting tons of shovelware, when all the shovelware is kind of the problem with Steam right now. They don't have a tight enough lease on what gets in anymore and now the market is just flooded with crap.
This, and it's a game that isn't even finished but still needs a heavy discount to get people interested in buying it. I assume that the makers are hoping that people will see the coupon, then check out the game, and enough will think $1.75 is worth a shot, and that it'll go viral from there, but it bothers me that this is the way Steam is heading.

Coupons have been used for ages to promote new products in grocery stores, but that just makes me worried that this game will end up having tons of DLC. The point of giving you a $1.00-off coupon for a new variety of cookies is to get you to keep buying the cookies later. You usually can't sell the same game to a person multiple times.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Not to mention there's absolutely NO quality control on the shovelware on Steam these days. Case in point:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...st&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

GasBandit

GasBandit

The Luigi Death Stare is memetically trending right now.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

In terms of new memes, this is the absolute best one in awhile.

I'm sure I'll be sick of it in a week.

GasBandit

GasBandit

And it is TERRIFYING

GasBandit

GasBandit

E3 in a nutshell

J/K I don't pay attention to E3 ever since they went full (console) tard.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

E3 in a nutshell

J/K I don't pay attention to E3 ever since they went full (console) tard.
Nintendo better not pull that shit, but they probably will. From what I understand, Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros are supposed to be there big sellers for 2014, which means likely we're not getting anything else cool this year. Argh.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Nintendo better not pull that shit, but they probably will. From what I understand, Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros are supposed to be there big sellers for 2014, which means likely we're not getting anything else cool this year. Argh.
Being disappointed with "only" getting Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash seems to be a bit of a pessimistic mindset to me, but even leaving that aside, there's also at least Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, Bayonetta 2 (if we count games Nintendo is just publishing), and likely Hyrule Warriors.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Being disappointed with "only" getting Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash seems to be a bit of a pessimistic mindset to me, but even leaving that aside, there's also at least Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, Bayonetta 2 (if we count games Nintendo is just publishing), and likely Hyrule Warriors.
I'm getting Smash Bros for 3DS this summer. There remains nearly half the year after that and I've no intention of buying a PS4 yet.

I know there are other releases, but to hear Nintendo say "we blew our load halfway through" is disappointing. I'm hoping I misunderstood the statement and that they meant fiscal 2014 as opposed to calendar 2014.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

HA- Super Paper Mario.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man, all these unfinished games on Steam's top sellers...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Frank

Frank

Suck it Watch Dogs.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I shudder at the thought of the hentai they are going to make of that game. Just... it's going to be awful.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I shudder at the thought of the hentai they are going to make of that game. Just... it's going to be awful.
Earlier in the week was a bad time to search the Splatoon tag on Tumblr. There was more horror than cute, but Tumblr is actually taking down entire blogs that post that kind of shit. I'm amazed a social media site would really do anything about content like that. It's better now, but there's still shit on there.

But good stuff too:

figmentPez

figmentPez

Out of curiosity, I checked the Splatoon tag on Tumblr. Only 5 posts before I ran into implied nudity, and about 50 posts down to get to outright porn. That's pretty bad, considering how many people are still talking about the game's announcement.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Out of curiosity, I checked the Splatoon tag on Tumblr. Only 5 posts before I ran into implied nudity, and about 50 posts down to get to outright porn. That's pretty bad, considering how many people are still talking about the game's announcement.
It was worse a couple days ago. The pron-ish stuff was the majority and it was nearly as bad as the Pokemon tag. But Tumblr's been shutting down blogs, so it's cleaned up a little. And it's sad that that is cleaner.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Earlier in the week was a bad time to search the Splatoon tag on Tumblr. There was more horror than cute, but Tumblr is actually taking down entire blogs that post that kind of shit. I'm amazed a social media site would really do anything about content like that. It's better now, but there's still shit on there.

But good stuff too:

This would be a GREAT time to do a cross promotion with Viscera Clean-Up Detail. I can just imagine it... they do a short video of the squid girls shooting around... and then it goes to Luigi with a bucket and a mop. He sighs and gets to work.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

This would be a GREAT time to do a cross promotion with Viscera Clean-Up Detail. I can just imagine it... they do a short video of the squid girls shooting around... and then it goes to Luigi with a bucket and a mop. He sighs and gets to work.
Wait just imagine this.

Not only is Luigi trying to clean up with a bucket and mop, but he's also giving the Splatoon folks a death glare.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I kind of wish Splatoon was already out so they could throw an inkling into Smash Bros, but I doubt Nintendo would throw a character in from a game that hasn't been released. Might be assuming too much.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I kind of wish Splatoon was already out so they could throw an inkling into Smash Bros, but I doubt Nintendo would throw a character in from a game that hasn't been released. Might be assuming too much.
don't know... we got Marth, Roy, and Lucas. I'm pretty sure I didn't get to play THEIR games until after Melee or Brawl. Yes, I'm counting it when it's Nintendo's fault we didn't get to play it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

bhamv3

bhamv3

PatrThom

PatrThom

Didn't know you had such a thing for beige sweaters, @bhamv3

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

don't know... we got Marth, Roy, and Lucas. I'm pretty sure I didn't get to play THEIR games until after Melee or Brawl. Yes, I'm counting it when it's Nintendo's fault we didn't get to play it.
Yeah, but the game's have been released. Unless Japan is getting Splatoon before October, I don't think it would happen.

On the note of Lucas, I'm wondering if Nintendo letting Robot Chicken do that joke means they're going to put it on the Wii U VC, since they're in a GBA release mood. That, or as its own release on something.

Or I'm just full of dumb ideas. I've been playing Earthbound this week and it's such a great game that I wonder what we've been missing due to lack of Mother 3.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

... I don't know what you're talking about *hides avatar*

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I wanna be the very best ...

... at modern military shooters, I mean. I am grown man and so can you.

GasBandit

GasBandit

No wonder everybody hates it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

No wonder everybody hates it.
Don't kid yourself. If you could pay a senator to get them to give to you, it would be capitalism.

Also, why the hell can't you use the coins you pick up to buy weapons?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Two minutes of truth, with NSFW language.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Two minutes of truth, with NSFW language.

His first mistake was playing Battlefield.

GasBandit

GasBandit

His first mistake was playing Battlefield.
No, I'd say his first mistake was installing Origin. But even with that taken into account, I still hold Battlefield players in slightly (SLIGHTLY) higher regard than Calladoody players.

I had a lot of fun playing BF1942 with the little woman. A whole lot. I really miss it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

You want to play a GOOD Battlefield style game? Try Planetside 2. It's free to play, but you can earn everything that isn't cosmetic through normal play, as long as you contribute to the fight. Vehicles are spawned dynamically as you want them (on a timer and it uses up resources that you regain over time via territory control), same with planes... and you can spawn into a certain plane and van, giving you mobile options for spawning. I'm literally surprised by how fun it is... and it's on Steam, so no Origin.

I'm fighting for Vanu on Waterson.

Far

Far

I should try planetside 2 again. I did when it first came out and it just put my little laptop to shame. Have a big boy computer now though that should run it just fine.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You want to play a GOOD Battlefield style game? Try Planetside 2. It's free to play, but you can earn everything that isn't cosmetic through normal play, as long as you contribute to the fight. Vehicles are spawned dynamically as you want them (on a timer and it uses up resources that you regain over time via territory control), same with planes... and you can spawn into a certain plane and van, giving you mobile options for spawning. I'm literally surprised by how fun it is... and it's on Steam, so no Origin.

I'm fighting for Vanu on Waterson.
I've noticed you logging in to Planetside 2 every morning lately as I'm on my way to work. Kinda makes me a little jealous. I used to play it, but it used to crash on me all the time on my old PC. Maybe I'll give it another try now that I'm on a 64 bit operating system.

Jay

Jay

When I heard about Hardline having "Heists" and being a la Payday... I started to laugh. My friend and I had this discussion when he brought it up last week and I told him, "Dude, this is a mod of BF 4. Pay full price to continue to play with friends. nothing more, nothing less."

And to compare it to Payday? No way. Payday is COOP. Battlefield doesn't even have a shred of coop.

I miss games like RTCW/ET where you'd have a variety of objective/classes and you can pick out your load-out and work with teammates against another team to win. Sadly, the last decade has been plagued with yearly mediocre BF/CoD games.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I miss games like RTCW/ET where you'd have a variety of objective/classes and you can pick out your load-out and work with teammates against another team to win. Sadly, the last decade has been plagued with yearly mediocre BF/CoD games.
This is basically Planetside 2. While capturing each territory ALWAYS comes down to holding points for a certain amount of time, in order to achieve that, you might need to..

- Be an Engineer: Fix generators and emplacements with your repair gun, resupply your troops with ammo, lay down tank mines to destroy enemy vehicles, place down a turret to give them cover, or heal MAX units.
- Be a Medic: heal troops, place down passive healing domes
- Be a Light Assault: Use your enhanced mobility to fly to places others can't get to (which is GREAT for placing a squad beacon) and ether infiltrate enemy territory or provide support from higher angles.
- Be a Heavy: Use your rocket launcher to fight enemies and use your overcharged force field to soak damage.
- Be an Infiltrator: Use your ability to go invisible to stalk the enemy or penetrate their defenses, put down motion tracking darts to keep track of the enemy, or hack enemy turrets/consoles to deny the enemy access or to support your team. Or snipe.
- Be a MAX: Wield the strongest firepower and armor on the field as you trug along.
- Be a pilot: Fly a support fighter to take down harassing fighters... or fly a Liberator to bombard the enemy from the air with cannon fire. How about flying a Galaxy and providing your platoon with a way to airdrop into enemy territory?
- Be a driver: Command a tank to fight enemy units. Use a Harasser to perform quick attacks on the enemy. Or drive the Sunderer, providing your side with a ground based mobile spawn point and possibly a means to repair/rearm their vehicles.

It's a WAR and it's going 24/7, with random ALERTS that provide enhanced experience for contrbuting. Don't like the fight you're currently in? Go to a different territory and start a new front. Things are too intense everywhere on your current continent? Go to one of the other two and try your luck there. There is literally always a fight to be had.

You also have tons of class customization (though it takes certs to get new weapons and those might take a few days/weeks to get if you don't want to buy them). You can pick the kind of armor you want, the kinds of tools you want, the kinds of guns you want and what you want on those guns. You can even customize your vehicles (like my Sunderer has a grenade launcher and a flak cannon, with the ability to give allies ammo and drive through force fields).

The only stuff you HAVE to buy in the game are customization options like camo, different helmets, and some of the specially colored weapons. Everything else can be bought with certs. 1 Cert = 250 XP. You get bonus XP and a discount on everything if you sub though... and subbing gives you full access to several Sony games, including DC Universe Online. It's a good deal if you like their other titles or just want to buy stuff/get XP faster.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Planetside 2 is really very excellent, but you need to get hooked up with some people to really be most effective. For best results, a guild.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, as I said in the E3 thread, they have now released official drivers for the Xbone controller.

My 360 controller has been on its last legs for a while now, so I picked one up. It feels much more comfortable in my hands, so that's a plus. Not a fan of the new bumper buttons. They seem to be less optimally placed than they were on the last model. Overall, though, I like it. The triggers are great, and I like the grippy joysticks.

Wow... reading that back to myself, it sounds really pornographic.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, as I said in the E3 thread, they have now released official drivers for the Xbone controller.

My 360 controller has been on its last legs for a while now, so I picked one up. It feels much more comfortable in my hands, so that's a plus. Not a fan of the new bumper buttons. They seem to be less optimally placed than they were on the last model. Overall, though, I like it. The triggers are great, and I like the grippy joysticks.

Wow... reading that back to myself, it sounds really pornographic.
Sshhhhh.... don't stop.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Controllers are my fetish

GasBandit

GasBandit

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Dammit Steam, stop giving me Summer Adventure Card 3. I have three of them now. I needed OTHER ones, you know!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Dammit Steam, stop giving me Summer Adventure Card 3. I have three of them now. I needed OTHER ones, you know!
If I get a double, I'll probably hit you up. But you can always hit the car trading forums if you want to get rid of them too.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I was wrong about 3. I have 10 and 4.

Frank

Frank

Nosgoth is on sale. Nosgoth can eat every shit I take for the next 20 years.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Nosgoth is on sale. Nosgoth can eat every shit I take for the next 20 years.
So, you're saying you wouldn't recommend it?

*checks* huh, a $5 game? It can't be that ba-

-EARLY ACCESS-

-$150 DLC PACK

WTF?[DOUBLEPOST=1403385064,1403384953][/DOUBLEPOST]Addition:

I decided to wikipedia it

... YOU DAMN DIRTY APES!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

figmentPez

figmentPez

Yay, Summer Games Done Quick starts today!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

They estimate beating Half-Life in 50 minutes?

doubt.jpg

figmentPez

figmentPez

They estimate beating Half-Life in 50 minutes?

<Doubt>
Well, the record is 0:36:58, done in a single segment, and most of these runs manage to meet their estimates.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Well, the record is 0:36:58, done in a single segment, and most of these runs manage to meet their estimates.
I guess I was thinking about the rails segment, but you don't actually have to stay on them.

I don't know how anyone gets past the big "i hear you" monsters quickly though. Guess I'll have to watch and find out.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I guess I was thinking about the rails segment, but you don't actually have to stay on them.

I don't know how anyone gets past the big "i hear you" monsters quickly though. Guess I'll have to watch and find out.
With the right speedrunning techniques, you can easily dodge the Tentacles. They strike fast, but turn relatively slowly. Plus, if you have high enough health and suit power, you can tank a hit or two and still stay alive.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Early access:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Putting a download speed cap on my steam downloads has caused them all to download significantly faster.

... how the hell does that work?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Putting a download speed cap on my steam downloads has caused them all to download significantly faster.

... how the hell does that work?
If you are running into the same thing I had, my router's CPU couldn't keep up with all the routing and it would keep resetting/stuttering once my total traffic exceeded some amount. Better to average a solid X/sec than peak at 2X/sec and die to 0/sec then peak again, etc.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

If you are running into the same thing I had, my router's CPU couldn't keep up with all the routing and it would keep resetting/stuttering once my total traffic exceeded some amount. Better to average a solid X/sec than peak at 2X/sec and die to 0/sec then peak again, etc.

--Patrick
That's exactly what was happening. It would jump to super high, then die to 0, then stutter around and go back up.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I made it take a longer time to fail by mounting some spare heatsinks to the top of the router, but eventually I just, y'know...got a different (better) router.

--Patrick

Jay

Jay

@ThatNickGuy[DOUBLEPOST=1403737181,1403737021][/DOUBLEPOST]

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Accurate representation of Steam sales.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've been hearing pretty good things about Valiant Hearts. Great art style, moving story, interesting puzzles and such, all set in WWI Europe.

Then I found out it needs UPlay.

So much for that.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Heh, this is pretty good.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... a screenshot from Way of the Samurai 4:

(The explanation is her name is actually Melinda de Cameron, but in being translated into Japanese and back again, de Cameron became Decameron, deka is japanese slang for "really big" - ie, Mega, and meron is melon. Thus, Melinda de Cameron becomes Melinda Megamelons)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That is FAR from the weirdest thing in Way of the Samurai 4. The weirdest is that you can break into a mansion to sleep with a 14-year old ambassador to Japan and then get her doll in thanks from her. That it happens isn't weird... that is wasn't cut for the international version IS.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Please tell me this is legit. I want to believe.

mkBrqcD.jpg

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

It is. The guy got hyperblacklisted by EA for it too.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Unmitigated bum is my new favorite thing.

Frank

Frank

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

This was because they had told him to report "only the facts" this time around.[DOUBLEPOST=1404168794,1404168480][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, "deep abyss instead of a soul" is hidden in there.

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

Also, "deep abyss instead of a soul" is hidden in there.
I had noticed that. It stood out due to its lack of a MALM family tag.

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I never really noticed how odd her proportions were until those stills of the WiiU costumes, the Link one especially.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I never really noticed how odd her proportions were until those stills of the WiiU costumes, the Link one especially.
You never noticed her legs are twice as long as they should be? Her head being rather small is understandable to miss, what with the big hair.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

You never noticed her legs are twice as long as they should be? Her head being rather small is understandable to miss, what with the big hair.
Considering I've never played the game and only seen video, no, I hadn't really noticed. Most images of her I'd seen weren't full-body shots or were posed in a way that forced perspective to make her look more normal.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Most of the videos I've seen have had so much flailing and action that it's hard to tell if they're her actual proportions or just lens distortion.

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I've played through Bayonetta twice and you can really only tell in certain cutscenes.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've played through Bayonetta twice and you can really only tell in certain cutscenes.
Really? I've played through it a few times as well, and it always seems to be pretty noticable. Especially because of the poses she does, any time she lifts her knee, you can see just how unnaturally far it juts out because of how long her upper leg is.

GasBandit

GasBandit

TINY TINY HEAD

But yes, her thigh is as long as her torso and head combined.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Must be the shoes.

air-jordan-bayo-brand.gif

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

And now it's in my head.

PatrThom

PatrThom

And now it's in my head.
Sorry, never seen the show.
Yes, I will continue to do this.

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

And now it's in my head.
It's always in mine. Always. I wasn't sure I was gonna get the new games, but now I'm getting that craving.

Sorry, never seen the show.
Yes, I will continue to do this.

--Patrick
Nope!

GasBandit

GasBandit

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I guess that makes Snake a...LADDERAL thinker?

Eh? Ehhhh? Ladderal? Lateral?

taps the mic Hello? Hello, is this thing on?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I feel bad for Edison, sure he was a generic swashbuckler who used a wooden sword which is the most obvious starter weapon of all time, but I'm sure he didn't need to be replaced by a Bear who used a bird as a multi-tool.

Also if Microsoft lets Rare make a real sequel they should make the prologue all Toxic Avenger 4 style: "In the 90s and early 2000s a bear and a bird went on a magical adventure that touched the hearts of millions. Then- three forgettable sequels were made! Yeah, sorry about that folks. Here's the real sequel!"

PatrThom

PatrThom

BsNwOlpCMAADKly.jpg-large.jpeg

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Straining my brain to recognize where that image comes from.

drifter

drifter

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Rest in peace magic hobo, wherever you end up.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm still waiting to see some epic Shovel Knight meets Dark Souls fanart. It needs to happen.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm still waiting to see some epic Shovel Knight meets Dark Souls fanart. It needs to happen.
I wish I'd seen that. Instead Tumblr shows me things I don't want to see, like Shovel Knight and some of the boss knights burying their shovels in each other.

ifyouknowwhatimean

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Is this kind of what you meant?

fade

fade

DON'T FUCKING DO THAT!

image.jpg

Frank

Frank

So, I was doing some report writing from home today and this song just pops into my head. It was like a smooth, soft, almost porno-esque, noodly jazz tune that wouldn't sound out of place in a Silent Hill game. I couldn't fucking place it. It started to drive me completely nuts. I was sure it was from a video game, but I couldn't remember which game. So, after about a half hour of fruitless youtubing, it suddenly just pops into my head where it's from.

God damn Vesuvius music from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Such a rad tune. No, go reinstall this game.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I couldn't fucking place it. It started to drive me completely nuts.
http://www.midomi.com/

--Patrick

Jay

Jay

So, I was doing some report writing from home today and this song just pops into my head. It was like a smooth, soft, almost porno-esque, noodly jazz tune that wouldn't sound out of place in a Silent Hill game. I couldn't fucking place it. It started to drive me completely nuts. I was sure it was from a video game, but I couldn't remember which game. So, after about a half hour of fruitless youtubing, it suddenly just pops into my head where it's from.

God damn Vesuvius music from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Such a rad tune. No, go reinstall this game.
Think of this game and one must replay it.

I've prolly finished this game at least 15 times now with possibly every race, ending.

I even played it again in January.

So good.

Make sure to mod it properly. (Camarilla Mod & Quest)[DOUBLEPOST=1405912821,1405912704][/DOUBLEPOST]Also ... this.

Frank

Frank

Man, the first time I played through that area was one of the genuinely creepiest gaming moments I've ever had. Every time I play through it now I wish I could go in as fresh as I was the first time. Also way creepier than it had any right to be, the Tzimitze stuff later on.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Jay

Jay

Man, the first time I played through that area was one of the genuinely creepiest gaming moments I've ever had. Every time I play through it now I wish I could go in as fresh as I was the first time. Also way creepier than it had any right to be, the Tzimitze stuff later on.
Indeed.

That first game was unexpectedly delightful and creepy. At some point I was at a sliver of life, waiting to regen and watched my blood go down.... SCARED TO MOVE.

Later on, the Tazimize house sent shivers up my spine and despite the limited graphics, a bit too nasty for my taste. Thankfully, my trusty katana kept me safe... but they kept coming and coming.

fade

fade

Are there any d&d games in the pipeline?

GasBandit

GasBandit

A biology major plays Skyrim

GasBandit

GasBandit

At first I thought "bullshit building hitbox"

But then, looking closer....

Terrorist threw a pistol in the air, AWP shot hit the DEagle, Terrorists win.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

For fellow Earthbound fans

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

For fellow Earthbound fans

Nah he'd just offer to record your battle and then send you a couple bucks for winning.

Frank

Frank

Well, I've got a Black Isle erection and the only release is to play Fallout, Fallout 2, Planescape Torment and possibly some Icewind Dale.

Gotta be done.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Well, I've got a Black Isle erection and the only release is to play Fallout, Fallout 2, Planescape Torment and possibly some Icewind Dale.
Yes, but every time your rub yourself out, you'll find yourself right where you started again, back among the stiffs.

--Patrick

Jay

Jay

Icewind Dales were pretty awesome. BGs were better but the entire was nicer.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Icewind Dale was a better Dungeon Crawl. BG was a better story.

Frank

Frank

I'm not saying they're bad, but Fallout 1 and 2 and Planescape are like 3 of my favourite games of all time.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Unfortunately, I am the high king of Skyrim.
Everything shown here was done with one mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/41087//?

Frank

Frank

Ben Kuchera is right where he belongs at Polygon. Jesus Christ the mental gymnastics these guys will go through to defend anything pro-Microsoft.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It's definitely the wrong move, because SE bitched about the game not meeting the SALES quota they wanted when it was available on everything. It's a stupid move and exclusives should have died out years ago. Nobody's so desperate for the new Tomb Raider, of all things, that they're going to rush out and slam down cash for an XBone.

Games journalism needs to die.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Wait a minute. Now, last I checked, sales = profits, do they not? Good lord, what an idiot.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Wait a minute. Now, last I checked, sales = profits, do they not? Good lord, what an idiot.
Usually yeah, but here I think it's being treated as the difference between Net and Gross. A lot of people don't understand the difference between "profits" and "profit margin." Which is why they hate oil companies.

PatrThom

PatrThom

A lot of people don't understand the difference between "profits" and "profit margin." Which is why they hate oil companies.
Yeah. Most people don't understand that a gas station probably marks up their gas by 2 cents/gal at most, or that grocery stores are happy to net 3% profit after all the overhead comes out.

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I don't really blame them for not focusing on the Vita at this point. No one is buying it because it's too expensive and doesn't have a whole lot of games... it's expensive because it's actually quite powerful, but no one wants to develop for it BECAUSE of that power.

Vita's dead and it's not even really anyone's fault. It's just too expensive, but it's justifiably so.

Frank

Frank

Usually yeah, but here I think it's being treated as the difference between Net and Gross. A lot of people don't understand the difference between "profits" and "profit margin." Which is why they hate oil companies.
That's fine, it's that Kuchera was arguing that going exclusive would increase sales, because he's a fucking moron troll.

Jay

Jay

How's emulation on it?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Madden 15 comes out in 2 weeks. Here's a reminder that Madden sucks.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Madden 15 comes out in 2 weeks. Here's a reminder that Madden sucks.

The agony and ecstasy of engaging GB. I have not laughed so hard all day, if not longer. :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Watching high level Super Smash Brothers play is kind of... boring. It usually turns into two guys using Fox or Metaknight or characters with certain moves that work well against Fox or Metaknight like Captain Falcon. Speed is just too much of a factor in the game.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Watching high level Super Smash Brothers play is kind of... boring. It usually turns into two guys using Fox or Metaknight or characters with certain moves that work well against Fox or Metaknight like Captain Falcon. Speed is just too much of a factor in the game.
I think you just described competitive table tennis/badminton.

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think you just described competitive table tennis/badminton.

--Patrick
Only if you had the option of using a baseball bat, a tennis racket, a cricket bat, or hockey stick instead, but everyone only focused on the tiny, fast paddle because it was the easiest to use.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

As a guy who plays engineer primarily, THIS IS SO DAMN TRUE.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I too know this pain.

fade

fade

Man I thought "might be cool to give AMDs Gaming Evolved a try..."

No.

My fps in even WoW dropped so hard I had to go to fair, and my card doesn't bat an eyelash at Ultra. I tried all of AMDs suggestions on how to turn off the in game stuff to no avail.

Uninstalled.

bhamv3

bhamv3

That's the problem, he built his sentry in the wrong place. He's supposed to sneak into the enemy's intel room and build his base there.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's the problem, he built his sentry in the wrong place. He's supposed to sneak into the enemy's intel room and build his base there.
That's assuming anybody else is playing engi to defend the base. No engi on defense = lose on 2fort. And that spot is pretty close to the optimal position for placing a single sentry (just move it a little closer to the spawn garage)... from there, it can swivel to shoot at all 3 approaches - the courtyard from the ground floor, the ramparts, and the entrance murderhole room. Feckin scouts and rocket jumpers always comin' in the non-standard way. In fact I often like to build a dispenser in the door to the murderhole room just to slow enemies down a little more and let my turret get time to whip around and target them, otherwise the distance from that door to the central stairway door is too small and they can run by before the sentry can get a bead on them.

But yeah, once I've got that thing set up, 9 times out of 10 I end up trying to sneak into the enemy base and build a teleporter exit in there.

bhamv3

bhamv3

That's assuming anybody else is playing engi to defend the base. No engi on defense = lose on 2fort. And that spot is pretty close to the optimal position for placing a single sentry (just move it a little closer to the spawn garage)... from there, it can swivel to shoot at all 3 approaches - the courtyard from the ground floor, the ramparts, and the entrance murderhole room. Feckin scouts and rocket jumpers always comin' in the non-standard way. In fact I often like to build a dispenser in the door to the murderhole room just to slow enemies down a little more and let my turret get time to whip around and target them, otherwise the distance from that door to the central stairway door is too small and they can run by before the sentry can get a bead on them.

But yeah, once I've got that thing set up, 9 times out of 10 I end up trying to sneak into the enemy base and build a teleporter exit in there.
Yeah I know, I wasn't 100% serious. I like to build my sentry there as well, with my dispenser just around the corner. That way if someone attacks my sentry from the courtyard, I can take cover around the corner and repair it while getting resupplied by my sentry.

Still though, engie base in enemy intel room = much lulz.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Another thing that inevitably happens, which that video doesn't cover, is the heavy/medic uber combo comes charging through the courtyard and annihilates your sentry and there's nothing you can do about it. Heh. But hey, at least your team has 6 snipers on the ramparts, amirite?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Another thing that inevitably happens, which that video doesn't cover, is the heavy/medic uber combo comes charging through the courtyard and annihilates your sentry and there's nothing you can do about it. Heh. But hey, at least your team has 6 snipers on the ramparts, amirite?
If a heavy/medic uber combo can get that far, they fucking deserve it. They usually die on the bridge or pop too early to be useful.

bhamv3

bhamv3

If a heavy/medic uber combo can get that far, they fucking deserve it. They usually die on the bridge or pop too early to be useful.
Yeah, that's what the six snipers on the battlements are for, sniping the medic.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yeah, that's what the six snipers on the battlements are for, sniping the medic.
Silly bhamv, they're obviously going to shoot the heavy. He's the threat!

bhamv3

bhamv3

Silly bhamv, they're obviously going to shoot the heavy. He's the threat!
pennyarcadetf2.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

Nah, how it goes is they uber across the bridge (or sometimes don't even need to, the 6 snipers on the rampart are too busy dueling the six snipers on the OTHER team's rampart), then sit COMPLETELY UNMOLESTED in the room before the courtyard, building up another uber, then come charging through again.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Some guy spawned various tough enemies in Skyrim and had them fight it out.

It's pretty danged cool.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Celt Z

Celt Z

Sorry if someone already posted this (and I didn't see it on my search), but I came across an interesting report on gaming demographics. tl,dr: Women make up 48% of gamers, 50% of game purchaser and women 18 and older make up 36% of gamers, while boys 18 and under (the traditional "target audience") make up 17%. And the average gamer (regardless of gender) age is 31, which didn't surprise me.

So if I have one more teenage boy tell me my opinions on video games don't count, I'm going to find a hard copy of this report and beat him with it. :mad:

Also: Hyrule Warriors can't come out soon enough.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Sorry if someone already posted this (and I didn't see it on my search), but I came across an interesting report on gaming demographics. tl,dr: Women make up 48% of gamers, 50% of game purchaser and women 18 and older make up 36% of gamers, while boys 18 and under (the traditional "target audience") make up 17%. And the average gamer (regardless of gender) age is 31, which didn't surprise me.

So if I have one more teenage boy tell me my opinions on video games don't count, I'm going to find a hard copy of this report and beat him with it. :mad:

Also: Hyrule Warriors can't come out soon enough.
Old news is old.

:p Just kidding. These numbers get updated over time and with each report, the percentage of women playing seems to grow. Which is good, though I wonder if these reports factor in the variance of groups who only play Candy Crush.

Jay

Jay

Mobile "gamers" shouldn't be mixed with other type of gamers.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Old news is old.

:p Just kidding. These numbers get updated over time and with each report, the percentage of women playing seems to grow. Which is good, though I wonder if these reports factor in the variance of groups who only play Candy Crush.
They probably do, but it is still a video game and can require game purchasing, so it does count.

fade

fade

17%? That seems low. I can't think of a single 11-18 year old that isn't obsessed with some game.

Celt Z

Celt Z

But why? The game still had to be developed, coded and distributed. Is it because of it's simplicity or accessiblity that it shouldn't count? Because if that's the case, are we still allowed to cite Tetris as one of the most popular games of all times?[DOUBLEPOST=1408806966,1408806777][/DOUBLEPOST]
17%? That seems low. I can't think of a single 11-18 year old that isn't obsessed with some game.
It does, but then again, most of the guys I knew growing up didn't have a system past the basic Nintendo. Sometimes they'd pull it out to have Super Mario Bros challenges, but gaming wasn't big with them. The only time I got to play Genesis was at some girls' houses.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

But why? The game still had to be developed, coded and distributed. Is it because of it's simplicity or accessiblits that it shouldn't count? Because if that's the case, are we still allowed to cite Tetris as one of the most popular games of all times?
I think it's because they're not playing it because they enjoy games, they're playing it because it fills a crack in their day where 20 years earlier they would've just stared emptily, because it wasn't enough time to start a conversation or read or anything. It's not a hobby, it's a time-filler. To use your example, you can't really do that with Tetris unless you're ready to lose. Otherwise, Tetris keeps going. A "session" for a mobile game is made to be brief--the time waiting for someone outside a public restroom, the time while waiting in line to get movie tickets. I couldn't pull out any of my 3DS games for those kinds of things because it would take just as long to get into them. A Kid Icarus Uprising chapter can be 10 minutes or more. A single Pokemon battle can take a long time. Developers of mobile games work to figure out the perfect amounts of time their game takes for the intended audience, i.e. 15 seconds, 17 seconds, 20 seconds. It's not something you sit down and play, it's something you do while standing in line. Mobile phone games are a thing you do between the things you actually want to do.

When something else comes around to take their place, that audience will shift to it. It was naivete on Nintendo's part to think the newcomers of the Wii were going to stick around and become hobby gamers. The Wii was as temporary as any family board game. In the same sense, once technology moves onto ... I don't know, first thing my imagination says is that your phone putting an electric signal into you that gives you a 10-second high. Something. They'll move onto that and the mobile game apps you see on phones will become a thing of the past.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I think it's because they're not playing it because they enjoy games, they're playing it because it fills a crack in their day where 20 years earlier they would've just stared emptily, because it wasn't enough time to start a conversation or read or anything. It's not a hobby, it's a time-filler. To use your example, you can't really do that with Tetris unless you're ready to lose. Otherwise, Tetris keeps going. A "session" for a mobile game is made to be brief--the time waiting for someone outside a public restroom, the time while waiting in line to get movie tickets. I couldn't pull out any of my 3DS games for those kinds of things because it would take just as long to get into them. A Kid Icarus Uprising chapter can be 10 minutes or more. A single Pokemon battle can take a long time. Developers of mobile games work to figure out the perfect amounts of time their game takes for the intended audience, i.e. 15 seconds, 17 seconds, 20 seconds. It's not something you sit down and play, it's something you do while standing in line. Mobile phone games are a thing you do between the things you actually want to do.

When something else comes around to take their place, that audience will shift to it. It was naivete on Nintendo's part to think the newcomers of the Wii were going to stick around and become hobby gamers. The Wii was as temporary as any family board game. In the same sense, once technology moves onto ... I don't know, first thing my imagination says is that your phone putting an electric signal into you that gives you a 10-second high. Something. They'll move onto that and the mobile game apps you see on phones will become a thing of the past.
Except that I would argue that games being a "time-filler" instead of a hobby would be a return to video games' original intention. Considering video games were developed to be distraction that gave adults an excuse to spend more time in bars, and purchasing more beer, mobile casual game is a return to that model. Gaming, specifically console gaming, wasn't really considered a hobby until Nintendo decided to rebrand it during the fall-out of the 80's. Just because a good portion of us grew up being told that video games are a children's toy doesn't mean it was always that way, or will remain to be that way.

I know we want to be console/PC snobs because that is the standard for almost 30 years (maybe longer if you count the Atari/Intelevision craze), but we may be looking at the next step in gaming evolution. People who normally wouldn't be gaming are picking it up because they can take it on their phones. Given the leaps phone tech is making, would it really be shocking if Nintendo releases their own phone that allows for wifi Pokemon battles or bringing your current console game with you? They already are doing something similar with the Wii U. For video games to survive, they have to reach the widest audience possible, and by getting people used to the idea that you can "game" anywhere, they may have a new business model.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Except that I would argue that games being a "time-filler" instead of a hobby would be a return to video games' original intention. Considering video games were developed to be distraction that gave adults an excuse to spend more time in bars, and purchasing more beer, mobile casual game is a return to that model. Gaming, specifically console gaming, wasn't really considered a hobby until Nintendo decided to rebrand it during the fall-out of the 80's.
Which is what I'm saying. The idea of it as a time-filler became unsustainable. Nintendo changed what games were for, and so the hobby developed. If that hadn't happened, we wouldn't have what we have today. The people who used them as time-fillers could not sustain an industry. Eventually they would move on.

Just because a good portion of us grew up being told that video games are a children's toy doesn't mean it was always that way, or will remain to be that way.
Your graph already shows we're beyond that since the average age is 31. We adults buying and playing games are supporting the industry, and I'll count in those who are just buying Call of Duty. Yeah, that's only one game a year (probably with Madden), but each of them needed to buy a console to play it on. It's not the same as a peripheral on a phone; it's the purpose of the purchase.

I know we want to be console/PC snobs because that is the standard for almost 30 years (maybe longer if you count the Atari/Intelevision craze), but we may be looking at the next step in gaming evolution. People who normally wouldn't be gaming are picking it up because they can take it on their phones. Given the leaps phone tech is making, would it really be shocking if Nintendo releases their own phone that allows for wifi Pokemon battles or bringing your current console game with you? They already are doing something similar with the Wii U. For video games to survive, they have to reach the widest audience possible, and by getting people used to the idea that you can "game" anywhere, they may have a new business model.
Again, this was the viewpoint Nintendo took with the Wii, and it lost most of that audience. Hell, Square-Enix at one point declared they would only be making mobile games and that plan crashed and burned. When something else comes along, those people will move on, same as your 80s example, same as with the Wii. My 50+ year old relatives who play Candy Crush a couple minutes a day are not going to support this industry. The idea that PC games and console games will disappear has been bandied around for the last 15 years. In fact, I was 15 when I was told that PC gaming was dead. And then I was told everyone would just game on consoles and not PCs.

My point is, the people playing those mobile games aren't playing them to play games, they're playing them because they exist. That isn't going to remove the AAA industry. If anything kills that industry, it'll be their own unsustainable development costs.

I don't mean the act of having a game be mobile is the issue. Anyone with a laptop can play an offline PC game anywhere. I can play my 3DS wherever. iPads and things are getting better at being able to play games. But I don't think lugging a Wii U around so you can play on the gamepad is going to become normal either.

What I'm getting at is just the stuff that's used to fill time. The developers making mobile phone games know their audience. They aren't developing deep RPGs for the people who just want something to flick their fingers at for 20 seconds outside Dairy Queen. They won't get sales that way. These people are very good at making money; they know what they're doing.

Jay

Jay

I didn't realize my wife, who only plays Candy Crush on her phone, was considered a "gamer" these days. Ridiculous.

Honestly, I'd be most interested in seeing the stats excluding mobile games. It sounds really dumb to say but there are a lot of people, particularly women, who will play to waste time on their phones or whatever rather than playing games as a hobby of it's own and I certainly don't really count them as 'gamers'. All my wife's friends play farmville, candy crush but have never owned a console nor playing a 3d PC game. Hey, I sometimes doddle images in paint... does that make me a graphic designer? Nonsense.

Other stats of notice :

96%[1] of EVE Online players are male
96%[2] of Dota 2 players are male
90%[3] of LoL players are male
84%[4] of WoW players are male
80%[5] of CoD players are male

I won't go into this whole debacle because it's ridiculously stupid. Women gamers are increasing year after year and that's great. I have female friends on Steam, played/raided with hardcore female gamers when I was in a TOP 50 US WoW guilds but I certainly don't consider the "mobile gamers" regardless if gender.... "gamers". I tried in vain to find a popular single mobile game that doesn't suck and I failed to find one. All are cash grabs, offer in-app bullshit and women love these type of games as per article

Surveying its own ad platform that is deployed across a wide variety of games of mobile games, Flurry found that on average, women spent 31 percent more money on in-app purchases and 35 percent more time within mobile games as compared to their male counterparts. Moreover, women committed themselves to a particular game and stuck with it. Globally, women came back to the games that they had chosen to play 42 percent more often over a seven-day period.
Long story short, not gamers.

Ze end.

Celt Z

Celt Z

But my point is, there are more people playing those non-committal games than consoles. And it's a hell of a lot cheaper to develop and distribute them. I'm not saying console gaming is going the way of the dinosaur, but if you're a company who wants to see bigger profits than production costs, what are you going to choose?
But whether you're a hobbyist or a casual gamer, at the end of the day, a game's a game. A console game may have more details and options, but just like the Candy Crushes of the world, you're still limited to the options programmed within the game. Sometimes the simpler models become a "gateway drug" for more serious gaming. Nintendo may not have held onto all it's Wiig audience, but it did gain some. If the survey I originally mentioned is any indication, the demographic that has an interest in gaming is wider than previously thought and there should be an effort to make games at capitalize on this.

Jay

Jay

No.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I disagree. Counting people who use mobile apps as "gamers" is like, to borrow a simile from another thread, counting people who've tapped kegs at frat parties as "bartenders." How many of those playing those mobile games would continue to do so if it didn't come bundled on their phone/facebook machine, and they had to get a separate device such as a DS to play? A lot less, I'd wager.

Media sources have been crowing for 5 years how there are more female gamers than male, even on PC alone -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/04/09/nielson-study-majority-pc-gamers-female-solitary/

Of course, they ARE taking Solitaire and Freecell into account...

It might be more telling if you look at specific games - for example, according to the same above-linked nielsen poll, 61% of WOW players were male. A 60-40 split still ain't bad as far as diversity goes.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

But my point is, there are more people playing those non-committal games than consoles. And it's a hell of a lot cheaper to develop and distribute them. I'm not saying console gaming is going the way of the dinosaur, but if you're a company who wants to see bigger profits than production costs, what are you going to choose?
But whether you're a hobbyist or a casual gamer, at the end of the day, a game's a game. A console game may have more details and options, but just like the Candy Crushes of the world, you're still limited to the options programmed within the game. Sometimes the simpler models become a "gateway drug" for more serious gaming. Nintendo may not have held onto all it's Wiig audience, but it did gain some. If the survey I originally mentioned is any indication, the demographic that has an interest in gaming is wider than previously thought and there should be an effort to make games at capitalize on this.
I do agree that it would be wise for the major developers to hedge their bets. It only takes one or two people to make one of these phone games, and that's in their spare time, so having a couple devote some hours to an off-side game for extra cash isn't a bad idea.

But I still don't agree that this is the future direction of gaming. While it may approach a wider audience and may even be a gateway to some of those people, I maintain that the next portable distraction will draw them away from it. I'm not insulting them either; this isn't a gamer snob thing to me. It's just that they largely aren't interested in games, they're interested in not being bored for those few seconds, and something else will be there for them someday. And that too will eventually be replaced. We're dealing with two entirely different audiences here. I'll get away from the word "gamer" because it's become loaded in these discussions, but the audience of "this is my interest" and the audience of "this is something to do". I don't think most of the "something to do" crowd is the future for the "this is my interest" crowd. I just don't see it.

I didn't realize my wife, who only plays Candy Crush on her phone, was considered a "gamer" these days. Ridiculous.
This is kind of what I mean. My aunt is 54 years old and plays Candy Crush on her phone. She is never going to play anything else. There's no games in her future there.

84%[4] of WoW players are male
That's odd; back when I used to play (granted, that was five years ago) the number was less extreme in different. Males were still the majority, but females were more than 30. I wonder what happened.

Moreover, women committed themselves to a particular game and stuck with it. Globally, women came back to the games that they had chosen to play 42 percent more often over a seven-day period.
This I find really interesting, because if you look at my 3DS activity log, you'd see that the games I've played the most have around 120 hours, but that's only three of them, whereas most of the other games are around the 40 hours mark. My wife's activity log, on the other hand, has fewer games, but they're in the 200-300 hour mark for total time ever played. And then if you look at monthly stuff, I'll have a bunch of games with varying hours, whereas she'll usually just have two or three games, with the number one having many, many more hours.

I've actually wondered if I just had a shitty attention span and was impressed that certain games could keep her coming back so consistently. Maybe it's just a difference in how men and women are wired. It's fascinating.[DOUBLEPOST=1408811589,1408811547][/DOUBLEPOST]
It might be more telling if you look at specific games - for example, according to the same above-linked nielsen poll, 61% of WOW players were male. A 60-40 split still ain't bad as far as diversity goes.
Yeah, that's more what I'd heard.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's odd; back when I used to play (granted, that was five years ago) the number was less extreme in different. Males were still the majority, but females were more than 30. I wonder what happened.
It's actually the other way around, chronologically - most of the works cited in that article list sources from 2004-2007. My 2009 poll shows a 60-40 split.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It's actually the other way around, chronologically - most of the works cited in that article list sources from 2004-2007. My 2009 poll shows a 60-40 split.
That was still five years ago though.

But then yeah, Jay's is outdated, so I wonder where we're at now.

GasBandit

GasBandit

To paraphrase another few folks on the subject, the "gaming gap" can still be experienced simply by noting common reactions when people say "I spend my free time playing video games" in a social setting. It's still female-repellent, as often as not, and yet change the genders and suddenly many guys are intrigued. The advent of the female gamer (or even the gamer-accepting female) comparatively new. There's another humorous image floating around that describes the history of females and video games more or less thusly:

1995 - "lol look at the loser and his video games"
1996 - "lol look at the loser and his video games"
1997 - "lol look at the loser and his video games"
1998 - "lol look at the loser and his video games"
1999 - "lol look at the loser and his video games"
2000 - "lol look at the loser and his video games"
2001 - "lol look at the loser and his video games"
2002 - "lol look at the loser and his video games"
2003 - "lol look at the loser and his video games"
2004 - "lol look at the loser and his video games"
2005 - "lol look at the loser and his video games"
2006 - "This MMO looks like it could be interesting"
2007 - "THE CAKE IS A LIE XD XD XD"
2008 - "Girls can play games too ya know!"
2009 - "I'm a GRRRL Gamer!"
2010 - "There are more girls gaming than boys. What do you mean mobile doesn't count?"
2011 - "Video game developers need to cater more to us."
2012 - "Video games are sexist."
2013 - "The gaming community is completely populated by rapists."

And heeeeere we are.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

On another side, maybe I'm becoming a crank geezer at the old age of 29. Let's look at my recent gaming history:

- Mega Man 5, a game from the early 90s.
- Mega Man Zero, same old franchise.
- Bravely Default, a new game, sure, but basing most of its gameplay and tropes on games from 20 years ago.
- Fire Emblem Awakening, another long-running franchise.

In fact, the only really new thing I've played recently is The Wolf Among Us, from a company trying to recapture the spirit of point-and-click adventure games from before my time.

And then how about the games I'm looking forward to?

- Theatrhythm, a rhythm game (I am aware of the hypocrisy) existing solely to harness nostalgia for a series with its best days over a decade behind it.
- Super Smash Bros, throwing a bunch of characters from popular, long-running franchises together.
- Hyrule Warriors, similar situation, though different gameplay, but still pulling its strength from Zelda, a series almost as old as I am.
- Pokemon Omega Ruby, from a franchise I've been playing since I was a kid, and a remake of a game from 11 years ago.

And the only new things I'm looking forward to are any new virtual console Mega Man releases (so more old-timey stuff), Shadow of Mordor, and Bayonetta 2.[DOUBLEPOST=1408812598,1408812377][/DOUBLEPOST]
To paraphrase another few folks on the subject, the "gaming gap" can still be experienced simply by noting common reactions when people say "I spend my free time playing video games" in a social setting. It's still female-repellent, as often as not, and yet change the genders and suddenly many guys are intrigued. The advent of the female gamer (or even the gamer-accepting female) comparatively new. There's another humorous image floating around that describes the history of females and video games more or less thusly:

2010 - "There are more girls gaming than boys. What do you mean mobile doesn't count?"
2011 - "Video games are sexist."
2012 - "Video game developers need to cater more to us."

And heeeeere we are.
Well, we were losers back then, the cake was indeed a lie, and many sectors of the gaming industry are pretty sexist. I love Atlus games, but they said pretty directly earlier this year that they didn't think a female protagonist would make a "good fit" for the SMT games. I couldn't disagree more, but that's their throwback outlook. I want to blame it on Japanese culture, but Nintendo pretty much killed that cliche, so I have no idea what their problem is besides being an insulated, niche-catering company.[DOUBLEPOST=1408812677][/DOUBLEPOST]I just want to say, I didn't mean for discussion of Celt Z's post to be about female gamer prevalence; I thought it'd been pretty obvious the last few years that lots of gamers are girls. I was just curious about the mobile aspect, not to deride the percentages for any particular demographic.

Dei

Dei

Hey, I'll have you know that I've been a video game loser since the Atari you sexist asshole!

(Spoilers: sarcasm)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hey, I'll have you know that I've been a video game loser since the Atari you sexist asshole!

(Spoilers: sarcasm)
1995 - "lol look at the loser and her video games"

:p

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

In fact, the only really new thing I've played recently is The Wolf Among Us, from a company trying to recapture the spirit of point-and-click adventure games from before my time.
Actually, I'd argue that the recent success of TellTale is because they finally stopped trying to recreate old point-and-click adventures (which I also enjoyed) and moved on to something new entirely. Modern TellTale games are nothing like the games of old.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Actually, I'd argue that the recent success of TellTale is because they finally stopped trying to recreate old point-and-click adventures (which I also enjoyed) and moved on to something new entirely. Modern TellTale games are nothing like the games of old.
True; the couple times I tried their genuine point-and-clicks, I didn't finish them. Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us though ... keep giving me story options, I love it.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I do agree that it would be wise for the major developers to hedge their bets. It only takes one or two people to make one of these phone games, and that's in their spare time, so having a couple devote some hours to an off-side game for extra cash isn't a bad idea.

But I still don't agree that this is the future direction of gaming. While it may approach a wider audience and may even be a gateway to some of those people, I maintain that the next portable distraction will draw them away from it. I'm not insulting them either; this isn't a gamer snob thing to me. It's just that they largely aren't interested in games, they're interested in not being bored for those few seconds, and something else will be there for them someday. And that too will eventually be replaced. We're dealing with two entirely different audiences here. I'll get away from the word "gamer" because it's become loaded in these discussions, but the audience of "this is my interest" and the audience of "this is something to do". I don't think most of the "something to do" crowd is the future for the "this is my interest" crowd. I just don't see it.
I'm sorry if I seemed to imply it would replace consoles, I was trying to say that the availability of casual gaming is broadening the definition of "gamer". I do agree with you that it's loaded, and there is a difference between "casual use" and "hobbyist". But I do think that the "this is something so do" crowd is changing the definition, or maybe connotation, of gaming. The more causal gamers, the less gaming is considered an "undesirable" activity. Look at the Internet. I can still remember a time when having a computer in your house meant you were a "nerd" and knowing how to use it was even more socially-acceptable. Now, can you imagine a phone being released without internet access? (Besides the Jitterbug for the elderly. :))

2011 - "Video game developers need to cater more to us."
2012 - "Video games are sexist."

And heeeeere we are.
I would say this would be largely inaccurate because there wasn't a large enough platform to dispute it before Internet forums and blogs. No one was giving a voice to the female gaming culture for a very long time, and we were largely ignored, or in some cases, outright treated hostilely. I've been a console gamer for over 31 years, and bit longer if you count arcades. As I mentioned above, I knew more girls that owned and played consoles. For most of my life I've had a pretty even split of male and female friends, so I can't attribute it to only hanging around girls. Maybe it's just the circles I run in, but I've found a pretty sizable audience of women that have been gaming for a long time, we just didn't have a way to communicate until recently.

I would also never say the gaming community is populated by rapists. That's gross hyperbole. However, speaking as someone who has been on both sides of the fence, as an animator and enthusiast, it would say that there is plenty of sexism from an industry that has a majority of males in it. Sometimes it's intentional, sometimes is old, bad habits from people who never thought about it, but it is there. Drawing attention to it has slowly started to improve things, but there is a long way to go.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

No one was giving a voice to the female gaming culture for a very long time, and we were largely ignored, or in some cases, outright treated hostilely.
I wish this had changed by now.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It's just gaming on a different platform. These days, it's a much more viable and successful market than anywhere else.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's just gaming on a different platform. These days, it's a much more viable and successful market than anywhere else.
Except that it's not. Only a select few games pull in any kind of real money... most just get buried under the titans by a capricious public and the company ether tries again or goes out of business. The reason it seems so much more successful right now is because the stakes are much lower, both for entry and to be considered a success. It's not a $100 million game that needs to pull in triple that to satisfy the stockholders, it's a 5k game that is pulling in 10-20k, unless you get REALLY lucky.

Just look at King: Candy Crush is their only game making serious money, but it's quickly declining and they are scrambling to get another hit going. Zynga's in the same boat with all of it's properties. What looked to be successful companies have turned out to be complete duds.

I'm not going to call mobile a fad, but it's going to crash sooner or later and then the big boys will dominate again.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Except that it's not. Only a select few games pull in any kind of real money... most just get buried under the titans by a capricious public and the company ether tries again or goes out of business. The reason it seems so much more successful right now is because the stakes are much lower, both for entry and to be considered a success. It's not a $100 million game that needs to pull in triple that to satisfy the stockholders, it's a 5k game that is pulling in 10-20k, unless you get REALLY lucky.

Just look at King: Candy Crush is their only game making serious money, but it's quickly declining and they are scrambling to get another hit going. Zynga's in the same boat with all of it's properties. What looked to be successful companies have turned out to be complete duds.
Sure, the bubble is popping quickly. I think most people expected that. But the amount of money needed to make a game (or app) is much less than console or maybe PC. As a result, as you said, the small games make money. But it's still the most viable market, if only because unlike expensive consoles or PCs, almost everyone has a smart phone these days. So it's an easier market to at least get your product out there. But I doubt these companies like Zynga can last much longer.

That said, I kind of hope Rovio stays a success. If only because one of my best friends moved to Finland to work for them.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Sure, the bubble is popping quickly. I think most people expected that. But the amount of money needed to make a game (or app) is much less than console or maybe PC. As a result, as you said, the small games make money. But it's still the most viable market, if only because unlike expensive consoles or PCs, almost everyone has a smart phone these days. So it's an easier market to at least get your product out there. But I doubt these companies like Zynga can last much longer.

That said, I kind of hope Rovio stays a success. If only because one of my best friends moved to Finland to work for them.
It IS worth mentioning that virtually every triple A studio trying to make and sell mobile games has fallen flat on it's face. Square Enix keeps losing money because they can't price themselves well ($20+ for Final Fantasy Tactics? I can get cheaper and better elsewhere) or are just putting out stuff no one cares about (the stupid rail shooter) or are just blatant cash grabs (Final Fantasy: All the Bravest). EA has completely failed to get ANYTHING out there. Really, the most successful ones are apps that tie into games (like the cellphone app for Dead Rising 3).

So ironically, the bigger studios simply aren't capable of succeeding there right now. They are still stuck in the AAA mindset and it's killing them.

Jay

Jay

Wife works FOR a mobile game company and even moderate sized games cost a lot of money... even before paying royalties for IPs. Hits are awesome but the fickle "gaming" consumers dictate all.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Who's in the mood for an easter egg? If you watch carefully, @Charlie Don't Surf makes an appearance in it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

If this guy's other videos are as good as these, I might need to watch more of them.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Wanna watch some filthy casuals try BROFORCE?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Check out this training level in Half Life 2 to acclimate players using Oculus rift and the crazy mo-cap controllers. The guy doing the video is irritating, but the game itself is an excellent demonstration of what is possible. Having to aim down the iron sights yourself, aiming independent from viewing angle, manually swinging the crowbar and throwing grenades. Nice.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Grr...You can cross your eyes on a smallish monitor (or put on a pair of incredibly nearsighted glasses and view it on your phone) to "play along" with him in 3D...IF it weren't for his little PiP spoiling the immersion.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Grr...You can cross your eyes on a smallish monitor (or put on a pair of incredibly nearsighted glasses and view it on your phone) to "play along" with him in 3D...IF it weren't for his little PiP spoiling the immersion.

--Patrick
Eh, really the star of this one is the motion controls. The Stereo vision actually breaks down for me a little... especially on text objects which he's not directly looking at, the colors tend to bleed and make it illegible for some reason.

Frank

Frank

"Yoooo, this a Pewdiepie game."

Get fucked you ignorant shit.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The biggest crime here is making them play BroForce without a controller.

Jay

Jay

Fuck controllers

Plays fine without one

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Fuck controllers

Plays fine without one
Plays better with one.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Terrik

Terrik

That was pure, distilled....distilled.....well it was something.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

YEAH, I'M TURNIN' UP THE HEAT

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Reyn is the best.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm not one for the Madden games or sports games in general (aside from WWE games), but this is pretty funny.

Right now, there's a glitch if you play the Tennessee Titans and put in linebacker Christian Kirksey.

Fortunately, Kirksey's being a good sport about it. No pun intended.

-"This glitch of me on madden is hilarious might I say! #lol #laughitsgood"

-"No matter how small you are, have big dreams, and live big! #madden #glitch #1'2 #reallyLOL #goodmessagetho"

Jay

Jay

ROFL

Frank

Frank

So I was watching random Castlevania shit on youtube because I'm sick and fucking lonely as hell and I came across this game, called Rusty.

It's a massive ripoff of Castlevania, obviously. But, here's the weird part, when you beat Dracula, you face a big demon Dracula form. Par for the course for a Castlevania game right? Well, except that it's almost an identical fight as the final Sigma form in Mega Man X. Rusty predates Mega Man X by a scant month or two. Skip to 2:30 or so into the video to see it.

Weeeird man.

The game looks cool as hell though and I kind of want to give it a whirl.

Celt Z

Celt Z

So I was watching random Castlevania shit on youtube because I'm sick and fucking lonely as hell and I came across this game, called Rusty.

It's a massive ripoff of Castlevania, obviously. But, here's the weird part, when you beat Dracula, you face a big demon Dracula form. Par for the course for a Castlevania game right? Well, except that it's almost an identical fight as the final Sigma form in Mega Man X. Rusty predates Mega Man X by a scant month or two. Skip to 2:30 or so into the video to see it.

Weeeird man.

The game looks cool as hell though and I kind of want to give it a whirl.
I didn't watch the whole video, but I'm going to take a guess and say that the ending boss is as much as coincidence as A Bug's Life and Antz.

Null

Null

So the co-director of Final Fantasy XV said something to the effect of, "If Final Fantasy XV isn't a hit, there might not be much of a future for console games." See, in his world view, every other JRPG developer waits for Squeenix and Final Fantasy, before jumping in to the console market. And that might once have been true. And it might even be true in Japan, where apparently handhelds are the dominant force in the market now. (Considering how many Japanese people use mass transit, that makes a certain amount of sense - if you've got a 40 minute commute on a train, why not enjoy some portable gaming?) But there are a lot of extremely high quality games out and coming out for your console, so I have to conclude that he was only referring to Final Fantasy with that statement.

Full article on Kotaku.

My personal opinion? Maybe if Squeenix wouldn't keep producing overstyled boring convoluted-plot linear-grind gameplay shit over and over, more people would want to buy it! I mean, Atlus' Persona series has its spots of weirdness, but it's a consistent quirky weirdness that gives it personality and charm. And the graphics might be fairly simple, they're more memorable - the cast of Persona 4 is a lot easier to describe and recall than any of the last few FF games. "The main character has short grey hair, and wears his school jacket open and shirt untucked. Yosuke wears his jacket buttoned and sports a pair of headphones from the mp3 player in his pocket. Kenji wears a biker jacket and skull t-shirt. Naoto wears her jacket buttoned high, a neckcloth, and wears a cap. Chie wears a green jacket, skirt, and bicycle shorts. Yukiko wears a red jacket, skirt, and black tights." No spiky spiky, zipper, belt, gap, armor prong, zipper, belt belt belt, button, zipper, spiky spiky, feathers, nonsense.

GasBandit

GasBandit

No spiky spiky, zipper, belt, gap, armor prong, zipper, belt belt belt, button, zipper, spiky spiky, feathers, nonsense.
The way I'm reading that, I'd like to think "nonsense" was a further description of things FF characters wear, than describing the previous list of aspects as collective nonsense.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

He's not wrong in that many Japanese developers wait for a Square Enix game before committing to a console... they need the lynchpin game to get everything going, sales wise. It's also usually the case that many Japanese consumers wait to buy the console of their choice until Square Enix has a hit too. This doesn't mean console gaming is "done". It simply means that there is now the opportunity for another company to do what Square Enix does by releasing a MEGA hit. Personally, I think FromSoftware deserves that honor and the game should be Bloodborne, but it's probably going to be Atlus and Persona 5.