Random Video Game Crap

I love Josh Sawyer's reasoning for the Might stat in Pillars of Eternity governing both physical and magical damage.

GasBandit

Staff member
I am highly considering Alabama of all places as a place to start working after my residency in Cleveland.
Look, I know Texas isn't very high on anyone's "favorite state" list right now, but trust me when I say all the states east of us are worse.

Also what video game is this about

Every time I see someone else playing Vampire Survivors I get a momentary shot of excitement.

"IS THERE A NEW PATCH!!!"

Nope.

There's a weird thing happening in the Stardew Valley modding community right now.

https://www.pcgamer.com/stardew-val...ing-increasingly-unhinged-grandpa-death-mods/

Basically, Stardew Valley starts out with a scene depicting the grandfather of you, the player, dying and bequeathing his farm to you. However, some people noticed that grandpa's deathbed was kinda weak and pathetic looking.
1651199397952.png

So they made visual mods for that particular scene that would give grandpa a better bed, eg:
1651199445840.png

And then someone decided to go in the other direction and give grandpa a worse bed.
1651199480517.png

And this has led to tons of mods of grandpa in increasingly bizarre deathbeds.
1651199579268.png

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd like to present a screenshot, which I shall title, "The Problem With Idle Champions"

1651461979784.png

I think I've unlocked basically all the free characters, and my minmaxing finds that no matter what I do, the game pretty much shoehorns me into a build in which Jarlaxle is doing 399 octillion damage per second, and everybody else is doing the other 0.1%.

GasBandit

Staff member
How to glitch SMB3 so that you can beat it in 3 minutes, and how it works behind the scenes (lots of programming terminology)

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd like to present a screenshot, which I shall title, "The Problem With Idle Champions"

View attachment 41361

I think I've unlocked basically all the free characters, and my minmaxing finds that no matter what I do, the game pretty much shoehorns me into a build in which Jarlaxle is doing 399 octillion damage per second, and everybody else is doing the other 0.1%.
Sorry, my bad, I forgot that the ideal build wasn't possible on that run because it was a handicap run - those imps in my formation screw everything up. Here's an actual example:

1651468043523.png

That's Jarlaxle doing around 582 Duodecillion damage per second. Which is not a number I have ever thought about prior to playing this game.

The trick is that Jarlaxle gets a bonus multiplier to his damage whenever he's standing adjacent to a good-aligned character. So, I've got him surrounded by Okira, Celeste, Calliope, Catti-brie, Alia, and Nayeli.

Delina is there too because I had a slot to fill, and Dungeon Master is pretty much useless because all his buffs pretty much only affect characters under the age of 20, and I don't have any under 33. But he does have one useful trick where if you level him up enough, every time you enter a new area, he has a 75% chance to fuck off to who knows where and leaves Uni the Unicorn in his place - who would be even more useless because Uni cannot attack at all... if not for the fact that Uni's presence quadruples your gold intake.

GasBandit

Staff member
The non-scaly smiling guy looks...familiar.
Like, lawsuit-level familiar.

--Patrick
I literally said that's Dungeon Master. He and Uni the Unicorn are definitely both Dungeon Master and Uni the Unicorn from the Dungeons and Dragons 80s Saturday Morning Cartoon.

Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms is an officially licensed D&D product, so pretty much everyone is in it. It's like... the Kingdom Hearts of WOTC.

Venger is also one of the enemy bosses.

I'm pretty sure Binwin became a canon character because of the promotion with Table Titans.
Binwin's been part of Acquisitions Inc. for years, as a founding member even... I can't think of a time he wasn't part of the yearly game.

They also have Beadle & Grimm, the characters of Matthew Lillard and Bill Rehor. When he's not acting, directing, or shilling for NFTs (Come on, Lillard!), Matthew Lillard owns and operates Beadle & Grimm's Pandemonium Warehouse, a website that sells extravagant premium editions of tabletop campaigns that come with with amazing feelies and shit to enhance the game. Like, the $500 edition of The Wild Beyond the Witchlight has 17 pre-painted minies, over a dozen maps, encounter cards, and more... if you're rich and REALLY want to show off to your tabletop crowd, this is what you buy.

Binwin's been part of Acquisitions Inc. for years, as a founding member even... I can't think of a time he wasn't part of the yearly game.

I might be wrong but while he was a founding member of the group and played in all the initial stuff, I don't think Kurtz has played with the PA crew in years, since 2016-2017, partially because of the falling out they all had that saw them split professionally and personally. Kurtz retained Binwin so he could do Table Titans, which actually seems to be part of the reason for the split. From what I've gathered, he felt that he should have a bigger hand calling the shots for the series rather than just being a person at a table and that his own stuff wasn't getting promoted as much as theirs so all agreed to let him take his ball and go home so to speak. This coincided shortly after Wil Wheaton called him out and Straub broke ties as well.

The A team has continued to play since that time without him.