Random Video Game Crap

EPL: Dunno. Just don't. Piss off.
That reminds me of not being able to play HoMM7 on this PC, and having to play it on the laptop, because the Ubi launcher just wouldn't work...

You know what eventually fixed it? Removing the "Run as Administrator" option from the either (don't remember exactly) the game or the launcher .exe... which is like the exact opposite of what you normally do when something doesn't run...

Why Yahtzee never did a Zero Punctuation Review of Undertale

I'm going to guess before I watch this.

Because even though it's a fantastic game with an amazing soundtrack that I still listen to, to this day, its fanbase was and is a special breed of fanatical and would not accept any one at the time calling it anything other than the single greatest video game to ever be created and it just wasn't worth provoking them.

Edit: well, maybe I'm just cynical. To be fair, Zahtzee is not one to shy away from something like that because of backlash, so just a bad call on my part.

Last edited:
Cyberpunk 2077 was completely burned down by everyone playing it when it came out, but now I'm seeing it pop up on lots of posts/lists with things like "but underneath the bugs and jank it was a great game", "if you went in without superhyped expectations it really delivered", "this game really touched me, unlike most AAA games" etc.

I'm not saying it's suddenly perfect - despite almost a year of patching it's still half broken and it definitely wasn't what was promised/hyped/hoped for. But I still feel a little bit vindicated - it was really trashed as being worse than Fallout 76 and Diablo 3 releases rolled into one, and that really wasn't deserved. Again - not saying it's a masterpiece, it really could have been great and it's a shame it turned out the way it did - but it was still probably one of the better games released this year in its genre.

Edit: well, maybe I'm just cynical. To be fair, Zahtzee is not one to shy away from something like that because of backlash, so just a bad call on my part.
Maybe not cynical enough if you think he'd not have the balls to review it for fear of fan backlash, but then call them out on it in another video.

Maybe not cynical enough if you think he'd not have the balls to review it for fear of fan backlash, but then call them out on it in another video.
I'd just figured it was like a going to be like a "Well now that they've died down, let me say me piece sort of thing."

Dave

Staff member
I liked No Man's Sky when it first came out. I also liked Cyberpunk 2077.

I guess I'm just easier to please.

Unless it's Stardew Valley. Never could get into that game.

Cyberpunk 2077 was completely burned down by everyone playing it when it came out, but now I'm seeing it pop up on lots of posts/lists with things like "but underneath the bugs and jank it was a great game", "if you went in without superhyped expectations it really delivered", "this game really touched me, unlike most AAA games" etc.
I liked Cyberpunk 2077. But then again, I've never really played a similar free world game (GTA, etc) that wasn't an MMO. But I lost interest pretty early, not because of the game play, but the story.

When the game decided to add the 'twist' of you fighting Johnny Silverhand for your own body. Story-wise, it was just such a let-down, and I wasn't interested in seeing that added game mechanic play out as I finished the game.

I liked No Man's Sky when it first came out. I also liked Cyberpunk 2077.

I guess I'm just easier to please.

Unless it's Stardew Valley. Never could get into that game.
I couldn’t get into Stardew Valley when I tried it first either. I found it super confusing and I didn’t know what to do. I tried it again a bit later and I was hooked!

I still can’t play Minecraft. It makes me barfy.

I'm not saying it's suddenly perfect - despite almost a year of patching it's still half broken and it definitely wasn't what was promised/hyped/hoped for. But I still feel a little bit vindicated - it was really trashed as being worse than Fallout 76 and Diablo 3 releases rolled into one, and that really wasn't deserved. Again - not saying it's a masterpiece, it really could have been great and it's a shame it turned out the way it did - but it was still probably one of the better games released this year in its genre.
I don't think, for me, Cyberpunk's biggest flaw was it's bugs or that it was released in the state it was and what that says about today's industry. Honestly, having enjoyed my playthrough at the time, the biggest thing that bothered me about Cyberpunk is I never want to play it again, not because it was bad, but because it was dull. And as much as it's an RPG and your choices should matter playing the different starting points, they really don't. So play it once, have fun, but don't expect to run through it again and again like some of the great games it wants to be.

Under the bugs I thought Cyberpunk was just fine. I'm more than willing to play jank if there's a compelling story or experience underneath. For me it was the writing I couldn't stand in cyberpunk, I just expected a little, you know, punk. So that on top of the terrible bugs was enough for me to quit and never touch it again

GasBandit

Staff member
Under the bugs I thought Cyberpunk was just fine. I'm more than willing to play jank if there's a compelling story or experience underneath. For me it was the writing I couldn't stand in cyberpunk, I just expected a little, you know, punk. So that on top of the terrible bugs was enough for me to quit and never touch it again
I've heard that a lot - it wasn't so much Cyberpunk as it was.... Neonliberal.

figmentPez

Staff member

This is both beautiful and horrible at the same time. I kinda hope something good gets made in this strange version of classic Sierra style graphics, but I also do not want this to become trendy.

Well, we've had 8bit and 16bit graphics, black and white, ASCII art, etc etc. It was only a matter of time.
Can't wait 'till the gray brown corridor cover shooter makes a comeback, since every trend deserves to come back.

Can't wait 'till the gray brown corridor cover shooter makes a comeback, since every trend deserves to come back.
Heh. Can’t wait to see Police Quest released with system requirements of Windows 10/DX12, 40GB drive space, 16GB RAM, and GeForce 1050 or higher.

—Patrick

Should I get a Xbox series s ?

Personally I'm more interested in the Playstation 5 but getting one will be probably impossible in the near future.

The Series S is the little one with no disc drive that came out the same time as the Series X, with otherwise the same specs I believe. To further complicate their bullshit, there is an Xbox One S and an Xbox One X though.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
The Series S is the little one with no disc drive that came out the same time as the Series X, with otherwise the same specs I believe.
No, the Series S is less powerful than the Series X, with slightly slower clock speeds, smaller SSD, and less RAM.

The Series S is the little one with no disc drive that came out the same time as the Series X, with otherwise the same specs I believe. To further complicate their bullshit, there is an Xbox One S and an Xbox One X though.
You are correct, I was, again, confusing it for the Xbox One S.

No, the Series S is less powerful than the Series X, with slightly slower clock speeds, smaller SSD, and less RAM.
That makes more sense, I've really not paid much attention to them this gen and when looking the Series S up the only thing a few sites we're calling out was the lack of drive. I should have looked into it more.

Late night idea that I'll probably quickly forget:

A Sierra Games podcast, where me and my co-host(s) go through every Sierra adventure game in chronological order. Each podcast covers one game.

So we'd play the game ahead of time, maybe research some behind the scenes information, and then the podcast is discussing the game, puzzles we liked or didn't like, etc.

That would be neat. The one video game podcast I still listen, Watch Out for Fireballs, did Quest for Glory 2 a while back. It caused me to play through it too.

That would be neat. The one video game podcast I still listen, Watch Out for Fireballs, did Quest for Glory 2 a while back. It caused me to play through it too.
I had the idea after playing through all of Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don't Die. It reminded me how much I used to love adventure games and I might even download and play the original Larry games, too.

Late night idea that I'll probably quickly forget:

A Sierra Games podcast, where me and my co-host(s) go through every Sierra adventure game in chronological order. Each podcast covers one game.

So we'd play the game ahead of time, maybe research some behind the scenes information, and then the podcast is discussing the game, puzzles we liked or didn't like, etc.
Did they do the old So you want to be a hero game? My friends and I played the crap out of that one.