Random Video Game Crap

I got @Eriol Astroneer for Christmas, and he was having enough fun that he got me a copy and we've created a co-op world.

Today, we did this (and yes, my youtube channel has my full real name, I trust y'all not to be dinguses):

(note: unlisted video, so link required)

As a Scholar main, it should probably be "The only one who actually studied the fight."

Or just "The only Healer in Endwalker worth a damn." if I'm REALLY being honest.

I've actually leveled up a WHM to 65 just to learn how to heal and was thinking of trying out sage next.
Actually I lied. I unlocked the sage class, looked at my ability bar and thought "You know what? I like monke brain big healing" and promptly decided to level WHM to 90 instead. I'll do sage after I finish endwalker.

I'm trying SO hard not to let the MMO monkey back on my back.

But the popularity of FFXIV makes my fingers start to tremble.
You're mostly a PvP guy, yeah? FF14 has absolutely nothing to offer on that front. What little pvp it has is just awful.

That said, outside of the combat feeling pretty good once you get leveled past the first expansion or two, and the occasional story beat hitting pretty well, I don't understand the hype around the game in other areas either. I finished the Endwalker story, ran a handful more dungeons, and pretty much immediately unsubbed. I don't really regret the cost, I guess, but I'm feeling no real desire to go back to it anytime soon either.

I'll say this towards FF14: play at the pace you would to enjoy the story, there is no hurry to get to the end game when you'll be unlocking plenty of content that stays relevant along the way. The story IS the biggest draw and watching story beats set up in ARR actually get resolved in Endwalker is immensely satisfying, as are the gameplay improvements that happen along the way.

That said, we're getting a new PVP mode soon that is going to outright replace The Feast, as The Feast was not engaging content for anyone not in a hardcore pre-made team. Rival Wings is also quite fun, but you generally want to wait for one of the "Revival Wings" player events to ensure people are playing, it usually happens around Mog Tomestone events.

FF14 is a LOT of sitting through cutscenes, so if you don't like doing that, I don't recommend it TBH. Just putting that out there for anyone who might be interested.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think the thing I liked about PvP most was that it didn't feel like grinding. I don't mind PvE as long as I'm not having to grind or camp.

And a minor pet peeve of mine is the "chip away at an enormous health pool" paradigm that's so damn common. If it's not even a boss but takes 5 guys of comperable level hundreds of successful attacks to kill something, my suspension of disbelief goes right out the window.

a minor pet peeve of mine is the "chip away at an enormous health pool" paradigm that's so damn common.
Agreed. If I play your game, and you put me up against a boss with such a large health pool that I literally run out of whatever passes for ammo and still can't defeat it, then your game is bad and you should feel bad.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Agreed. If I play your game, and you put me up against a boss with such a large health pool that I literally run out of whatever passes for ammo and still can't defeat it, then your game is bad and you should feel bad.

--Patrick
As often as I see you playing Destiny, I have a hard time believing you.

FF14 is a LOT of sitting through cutscenes, so if you don't like doing that, I don't recommend it TBH. Just putting that out there for anyone who might be interested.
Basically, if you don't like Final Fantasy games, you won't like this.

GasBandit

Staff member
Basically, if you don't like Final Fantasy games, you won't like this.
What if we liked FF games but watching gameplay footage of the FF7 remake makes us shrink away hissing like a vampire in a room where the blinds just opened?

Where it looks like a 47 hit string of what should be a killer-instinct ultra combo fatality finisher does like 33% damage to a baseline mook?

What if we liked FF games but watching gameplay footage of the FF7 remake makes us shrink away hissing like a vampire in a room where the blinds just opened?

Where it looks like a 47 hit string of what should be a killer-instinct ultra combo fatality finisher does like 33% damage to a baseline mook?
No, it basically plays like WoW or SWTOR. There's no huge gameplay shift in 14 from other MMOs.

As often as I see you playing Destiny, I have a hard time believing you.
You're not wrong. There were times where this was a thing. And it was very frustrating to have to resort to punching things in the hopes that something would finally drop an ammo brick.

So there are three types of ammo in Destiny 2: White "primary" ammo, green "special" ammo, and purple "heavy" ammo.
...and at the beginning of the current season, they made primary ammo unlimited. You still have to reload the weapons that use it, but you pull from an infinite supply. This means that as long as you are packing at least one weapon that uses white ammo (and they are plentiful), it is now impossible to run out of ammo during an encounter.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
You're not wrong. There were times where this was a thing. And it was very frustrating to have to resort to punching things in the hopes that something would finally drop an ammo brick.

So there are three types of ammo in Destiny 2: White "primary" ammo, green "special" ammo, and purple "heavy" ammo.
...and at the beginning of the current season, they made primary ammo unlimited. You still have to reload the weapons that use it, but you pull from an infinite supply. This means that as long as you are packing at least one weapon that uses white ammo (and they are plentiful), it is now impossible to run out of ammo during an encounter.

--Patrick
Running out of ammo is not the point. Unrealistically nerfed depictions of what should be lethal force is what I was getting at.

If Cloud Strife has to hit a basic footsoldier with 39 named-special-move-caliber attacks before it dies, with a sword longer than he is tall, I check out.

If your soldier in destiny has to shoot ANYTHING that is not greater than the size of an elephant more than 10 times in the head to kill it, it's stupid.

Running out of ammo is not the point. Unrealistically nerfed depictions of what should be lethal force is what I was getting at.

If Cloud Strife has to hit a basic footsoldier with 39 named-special-move-caliber attacks before it dies, with a sword longer than he is tall, I check out.

If your soldier in destiny has to shoot ANYTHING that is not greater than the size of an elephant more than 10 times in the head to kill it, it's stupid.

I mean, if it were that way, I'd probably be playing Dynasty Warriors and not Final Fantasy.

And all the being said, FFXIV is the MMO that got me to play MMOs after I swore I'd never play another MMO.

I actually really liked the combat in ff7re, even if it took some getting used to.

In ff14, if you are attacking something and it's health is going down so slow that it seems it will take forever to kill, that's a sign you're doing something wrong and need to change your approach