Random Video Game Crap

What if we liked FF games but watching gameplay footage of the FF7 remake makes us shrink away hissing like a vampire in a room where the blinds just opened?

Where it looks like a 47 hit string of what should be a killer-instinct ultra combo fatality finisher does like 33% damage to a baseline mook?
The fights in Final Fantasy 7 Remake can be annoying if you play it like a hack'n'slash.

If your soldier in destiny has to shoot ANYTHING that is not greater than the size of an elephant more than 10 times in the head to kill it, it's stupid.
Lately the "Thing to kill the boss" has been: Shoot away 1/3 of boss' health. Boss becomes invulnerable. Find and pull the lever/acquire the dingus/smash the control panel/stand in the magic pool. Shoot away another 1/3 of boss' health. Boss becomes invulnerable again. Find and pull the other lever/dingus/panel/puddle. Shoot away the final 1/3 of boss' health. Argh boss dies, photo op.

That's for the "casual" bosses, though. I don't go on raids, but in there the mechanics can be things like "Kill his six lieutenants, boss becomes vulnerable for 30 seconds, lieutenants respawn, repeat but this time kill the lieutenants in a specific order, boss becomes vulnerable for another 30 seconds," etc. Okay so not exactly this, but just as are-you-freaking-kidding-me-ish.

Anyway, I don't go after those bosses because that's dumb. But you know what still sucks? Effing jumping puzzles. I'm looking at YOU, expunge overrides!

(skip to 20:13 if it doesn't cue properly, then when you've had enough of that section, skip ahead again to 29:25 for more of what Bungie considers "Entertainment.")

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
That's for the "casual" bosses, though. I don't go on raids, but in there the mechanics can be things like "Kill his six lieutenants, boss becomes vulnerable for 30 seconds, lieutenants respawn, repeat but this time kill the lieutenants in a specific order, boss becomes vulnerable for another 30 seconds," etc. Okay so not exactly this, but just as are-you-freaking-kidding-me-ish.
That sounds almost as bad as factory resetting a GE smart bulb.

Her enormous wabbos already looked so fucking weird in that game when literally no one else (except for as single villain) is proportioned that way.

GasBandit

Staff member
If I do get that game, installing a "Tifa's boobs are now balloons nailed to a plank in the wind" mod will be the FIRST thing I do.

I would pay double to not hear Liam O'Brien doing the exact same voice in every fucking game.

Me: I'm enjoying this.

Character starts talking in the least natural vocal fry ever.

ME: LIAAAAAAM!!! GAAAAH.

GasBandit

Staff member
I would pay double to not hear Liam O'Brien doing the exact same voice in every fucking game.

Me: I'm enjoying this.

Character starts talking in the least natural vocal fry ever.

ME: LIAAAAAAM!!! GAAAAH.
I had to look up who this is. The only role on his very prodigious list that I can remember the voice of is Lloyd Asplund in Code Geass. And he definitely wasn't doing any vocal fry there. In fact he was kind of doing the opposite, given that the character was a manic dandy sociopath.

So I have no idea what torments you. Perhaps it is for the best.

It's all in my head. My doctor is having me go to an audiologist to get tested for misophonia because it's getting worse as I age and I'm getting more and more triggers.

It doesn't stop those particular sounds from driving me nuts though and ruining my enjoyment of things.

This month's Humble Bundle Choice is available. And there are actually some games this time that I'm interested in like Before We Leave.

It also includes Borderlands 3, which I have zero interest in. But weirdly enough, it has a separate "Director's Cut" offer, treating it almost like a second game in the bundle. And I'm confused because they obviously wouldn't give someone two copies of the same game. Is the Director's Cut like an upgrade or something?

Is the Director's Cut like an upgrade or something?

--Patrick

--Patrick
Ahhh, okay. So it's like a season pass or what have you, where it gives you all the DLC.

Even if you just want to go value for the value, he's massively gaining.

It Takes Two is like full price $55, frequently on sale since it won Game of the Year for $28. Plague Tale is $50.

Borderlands 3 is $79+DLC costs, Mordhau is $34, Grid Ultimate is $34 and One Step is is $34.

I get you'd get games you want to play for keys you'll never use and it's not always gonna be a 1 to 1 trade but still.

Even if you just want to go value for the value, he's massively gaining.

It Takes Two is like full price $55, frequently on sale since it won Game of the Year for $28. Plague Tale is $50.

Borderlands 3 is $79+DLC costs, Mordhau is $34, Grid Ultimate is $34 and One Step is is $34.

I get you'd get games you want to play for keys you'll never use and it's not always gonna be a 1 to 1 trade but still.
I've pointed out the retail price of these games when someone's low-balled me before. They often counter with "that's not their value now due to bundles." Which, it might be, but offering to trade THAT many all at once for one game? Not worth it.

Reactions: Far

GasBandit

Staff member
Space Engineers just came out with a major warfare-themed update, and some DLC.

Nnnnghh

My temptation to get back in is tempered by knowing that every single one of those ships in that battle took somebody 200 hours to make by hand and got completely trashed in 45 seconds of combat, and the way repairing works in SE you might as well feed the whole thing into a wood chipper and start over at that point. Unlike Empyrion, they don't have an automatic "blueprint factory" that you feed parts and wait X minutes, something still has to weld every block.

Unless you're in creative mode I guess, but that eliminates half the game.

Space Engineers just came out with a major warfare-themed update, and some DLC.

Nnnnghh

My temptation to get back in is tempered by knowing that every single one of those ships in that battle took somebody 200 hours to make by hand and got completely trashed in 45 seconds of combat, and the way repairing works in SE you might as well feed the whole thing into a wood chipper and start over at that point. Unlike Empyrion, they don't have an automatic "blueprint factory" that you feed parts and wait X minutes, something still has to weld every block.

Unless you're in creative mode I guess, but that eliminates half the game.
Strictly speaking, it's not too difficult to build a construction bay, load in a blueprint you've designed into some holoprojectors, and ether go to town by hand or build an automated building system with pistons and welders to do it by hand. Hell, you can even stick a modified version of a blueprint onto the ship itself with a projector to assist in repairs. They removed the "blueprints only in creative" thing awhile back.

GasBandit

Staff member
Strictly speaking, it's not too difficult to build a construction bay, load in a blueprint you've designed into some holoprojectors, and ether go to town by hand or build an automated building system with pistons and welders to do it by hand. Hell, you can even stick a modified version of a blueprint onto the ship itself with a projector to assist in repairs. They removed the "blueprints only in creative" thing awhile back.

Yeah, that was in last I played.

It's still way more work than Empyrion's solution.

GasBandit

Staff member
Six things they aren't going to add to Satisfactory

TLDW:
1) Base Defense (They want the game to be chill and contemplative)
2) Factory Maintenance (The complexity of endgame factories would make this SO not fun)
3) Survival Elements (See 1)
4) Green Energy (Solar/Wind) (With no limits on space, and no base defense like Factorio, this would be massively OP)
5) Terraforming (Too late in the cycle to shoehorn it in)
6) Golf (Nobody on the dev team cares enough to make it happen)

I don't know if this is just "random crap' because it's something I'm curious about but with no interest for others at all, or if it could be a fun forum game, or whatever. But Steam offers the option to order your game list by last activity as well as a bunch of other options.
I sorted my library, and erm, hrm. Some games I thought I'd tried "recently" apparently haven't been played in 4 years. Some games are waaay older than I thought. And oddly, despite having played a bit of games already this year - I haven't played a single Steam game.
And now I'm curious about others and what they find. "Oops, I bought a hundred games I've never installed", "Huh, I've played more games this year than the year has days", whatever.