Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Sorry about your shitty luck. I'd never heard of Origin, I put my own together, but had I went with a build a pc vendor i'd've probably gone with newegg. Much luck to you though man. When you have that gaming itch and can't scratch because somebody else is fucking up . . . .

Wife and I had to drop her car off at the shop after hours, and the place is located in Gilbert (next town down), so we ended up taking a circuitous route home. As a result, we pulled in to the drive thru at McDonald's on Gilbert Road and Main Street here in Mesa.

I say that specifically because when we did so, there was the automated "please have your rewards number ready" message, and then... a girl was having a conversation with someone not on the mike about "stinky Mexicans" and then followed it up with some cursing. I loudly asked if they were going to take our order. The curt response: "No."

When we got home, the wife called the store and talked to the manager about this. She said she would be speaking to her drive-thru crew about this. (My suspicion is that they are all off for the summer and are just counting the minutes before they can tell her where to stick her job.)

Sorry about your shitty luck. I'd never heard of Origin, I put my own together, but had I went with a build a pc vendor i'd've probably gone with newegg. Much luck to you though man. When you have that gaming itch and can't scratch because somebody else is fucking up . . . .
They're a pretty well known pc builder. If you know what you want you're likely to get a decent system for them at a decent price, but their customer service is hit or miss.

Wife and I had to drop her car off at the shop after hours, and the place is located in Gilbert (next town down), so we ended up taking a circuitous route home. As a result, we pulled in to the drive thru at McDonald's on Gilbert Road and Main Street here in Mesa.

I say that specifically because when we did so, there was the automated "please have your rewards number ready" message, and then... a girl was having a conversation with someone not on the mike about "stinky Mexicans" and then followed it up with some cursing. I loudly asked if they were going to take our order. The curt response: "No."

When we got home, the wife called the store and talked to the manager about this. She said she would be speaking to her drive-thru crew about this. (My suspicion is that they are all off for the summer and are just counting the minutes before they can tell her where to stick her job.)
I take it you did not get food from this particular store?

Just found out earlier today one of my friends post army, back when I lived down by campus, drowned Monday. If he had his character ready, was going to join us in our SR *cancelled of course* SR game tonite. He and his brother, peas in a pod, best friends.
When those two showed up, Mayhem and Mirth were right behind them.
*Pours one out* 'He'd appreciate that.'
Fuck
*if it's wrong to post the article, please just delete the article*

So, we sold the house...we got an apartment.
I'm fairly annoyed that I've made about 20 trips moving stuff either to the apartment or storage, and the ladies have made 2.

*sigh* I can't sleep. Anxiety is hitting me too hard. What's the point of anything anymore? The world is getting worse and there's no end to it all.

I saw a news piece about the heatwave hitting everyone right now and how it's breaking records for June. And not enough is being done to stop, slow down, or prevent climate change. And thus, my anxiety is going into hyperdrive.

OK. So. I dislike my brother-in-law. This is not news. I don't mind his wife, but I do consider her complicit in their familial bullshit. (And I also think she could do a hell of a lot better in the mate/spouse department, but that's a whole other thing.)

Anyways, they and their 2 kids live in the US, relatively south. And they just got back from a week (two-week?) long vacation in Hawaii.

And ever since I heard that they were going on a vacation to Hawaii right now I have been... exasperated? annoyed? livid? some combination of the above. And yes, both adults are fully vaccinated, but are the kids? Likely not, since they're both under 13. And what about all the people in the communities they were visiting? Those folks in service jobs that made their f^(%ing vacation so awesome?

Entitled, irresponsible, arrogant, ignorant jackasses, the lot of them.

not enough is being done to stop, slow down, or prevent climate change.
You know, I feel like, if traced to their source(s), we would discover that the majority of the world's problems (micro AND macro), would reveal themselves as ultimately being caused by someone whose ethos boils down to: "Whatever, don't care, so long as I get mine."

And this makes me unhappy angry.

--Patrick

I feel your pain. I have a member of my family enraged that they had to wait on their Botox. The tantrum after having to cancel a cruise in March 2020 was unreal.

And what about all the people in the communities they were visiting? Those folks in service jobs that made their f^(%ing vacation so awesome?
While they were statistically less likely to have been vaccinated, they all had access to the vaccine.

I haven't posted in a while. It has been a crazy year. They have been lifting mask mandates in the last couple of weeks, and for some reason I am getting all the anxiety and dread back from April of 2020. They just lifted the mask mandate at my work, and I know for sure that my office mate hasn't had her vaccine. I started this job during the pandemic so I haven't really seen most folks with their masks off, and today really threw me off. I really wanted to go home "sick" which I haven't done in 15+ years of work. I think I must have had a panic attack though I am not medicated nor diagnosed with anxiety. My back is all knotted and tensed up. I feel sick. I feel tired. I feel a bit short of breath. I am going to try some cardio followed by some stretchy yoga to see if that helps.

OK. So. I dislike my brother-in-law. This is not news. I don't mind his wife, but I do consider her complicit in their familial bullshit. (And I also think she could do a hell of a lot better in the mate/spouse department, but that's a whole other thing.)

Anyways, they and their 2 kids live in the US, relatively south. And they just got back from a week (two-week?) long vacation in Hawaii.

And ever since I heard that they were going on a vacation to Hawaii right now I have been... exasperated? annoyed? livid? some combination of the above. And yes, both adults are fully vaccinated, but are the kids? Likely not, since they're both under 13. And what about all the people in the communities they were visiting? Those folks in service jobs that made their f^(%ing vacation so awesome?

Relative to your relationship to them, if you can find out they were vax'd, some form of "Glad you were disease free to shepherd your plague rats around so that you could have some fun."

One of my cats has been missing for over a week now. He has gone MIA for maybe a week before, but never more.

I live in the country, and I know my neighbors, so I know he’s not at someone else’s house. It’s been crazy hot and dry lately, so I’m not sure how he would do on his own.

He was my first pet after my last dog died, so he really helped me get past that loneliness. And I worry I drove him to spend too much time outside by getting a new dog. They never got along.

We have raccoon, bobcat, and skunk around here. He’s always been fine, but I worry he ran in to the wrong animal one of these nights. The worst part is I may never know.

I think my video card just pooched.

Normally this is an expensive problem, but nowadays it's a problem with literally no feasible solutions whatsoever.
Gamers Nexus is testing their second batch of prebuilts. At least the first one of that group wasn't worse than hot garbage like all of the first three were.

Rant upgraded from Major to Minor.

Apparently after disabling Gsync on my monitor, it started working normally again. I now have to look into why this is, but holy shit, replacing a 250 dollar monitor is hell of an easier to pill to swallow than a video card I bought for a grand a couple years ago going for 2000+ Canadian now.

Nvidia thinks it's a 60 hz monitor and not the 165 hz monitor it should be.

I have never used door dash (or any other food delivery other than rarely for pizza) because, basically, my town doesn’t have it. I’m too impatient to wait for someone to get around to bringing me food.
My town didn't have it either, until I moved.

These days, I'll be caught up in meetings at work, and I can spend my lunch hour driving to get food, or I can just have someone bring it, and I can spend that hour relaxing instead.

My wife's job was reduced a little over a month ago. She found a new gig and starts in a couple of weeks, but it was extremely stressful.

This morning, I found out that between now and the end of Q4, literally everyone who works at my office will be laid off, but that of the 240 of us, we can compete with each other for 80 new jobs if we'd rather stay. I'll be fine - if I go, I'll get like six months severance - but it would be neat if I could go a month or two without a fucking emergency that needs to be addressed.

My wife's job was reduced a little over a month ago. She found a new gig and starts in a couple of weeks, but it was extremely stressful.

This morning, I found out that between now and the end of Q4, literally everyone who works at my office will be laid off, but that of the 240 of us, we can compete with each other for 80 new jobs if we'd rather stay. I'll be fine - if I go, I'll get like six months severance - but it would be neat if I could go a month or two without a fucking emergency that needs to be addressed.
Ughh, I'm sorry, that sucks. It brings up bad memories of a previous job: the day after my 1-year wedding anniversary, they pull in our enitre department to a meeting and tell us that the company we work for will be letting us all go in 1 month, but an outside company will be in charge of our current jobs and we could interview with them if we wanted to keep them. Otherwise, we could take a severance package of 2-months salary plus any unused vacation days. Long story short, I interviewed, they offered me my job at a salary LESS than what I started with, plus almost no benefits, so I took the severance package. It's been almost 13 years and I still haven't received a dime of my severance.

Ughh, I'm sorry, that sucks. It brings up bad memories of a previous job: the day after my 1-year wedding anniversary, they pull in our enitre department to a meeting and tell us that the company we work for will be letting us all go in 1 month, but an outside company will be in charge of our current jobs and we could interview with them if we wanted to keep them. Otherwise, we could take a severance package of 2-months salary plus any unused vacation days. Long story short, I interviewed, they offered me my job at a salary LESS than what I started with, plus almost no benefits, so I took the severance package. It's been almost 13 years and I still haven't received a dime of my severance.
Holy cow. I have no concerns about receiving my severance. I'm just worn down. Between the two of us, this is the fourth layoff due to a company restructuring. Every time I hear the words "dedication to the company", I have to suppress a smirk, because really every company is dedicated to the bottom line, and I treat them the same. I do my job, and I do it well, but I don't kid myself that our relationship is anything other than business, and the second one of isn't something of value to the other, that relationship ends.

Okay, paging the local F'edEx rep (aka @Bubble181) - WTF is going on with Federal's tracking system here in the East Valley? This is the second time a package going via FE has done the "out on the truck for delivery" notification to "change of status" - twice.

Here's the tracking for this package - you tell me WTF is going on:

Wednesday, July 7, 2021
5:33 AM CHANDLER, AZ On FedEx vehicle for delivery
5:14 AM CHANDLER, AZ At local FedEx facility
Tuesday, July 6, 2021
10:42 PM CHANDLER, AZ Arrived at FedEx location
8:53 AM CHANDLER, AZ On FedEx vehicle for delivery
8:21 AM CHANDLER, AZ Arrived at FedEx location
8:17 AM CHANDLER, AZ At local FedEx facility
5:21 AM PHOENIX, AZ Departed FedEx location
Monday, July 5, 2021
4:43 AM PHOENIX, AZ Arrived at FedEx location
Sunday, July 4, 2021
9:44 PM PHOENIX, AZ In transit
9:44 AM PHOENIX, AZ In transit
Saturday, July 3, 2021
9:40 PM PHOENIX, AZ In transit
4:08 AM BLOOMINGTON, CA Departed FedEx location
1:06 AM BLOOMINGTON, CA Arrived at FedEx location
Friday, July 2, 2021
11:28 PM BLOOMINGTON, CA Picked up
9:36 AM Shipment information sent to FedEx

About the only thing that makes sense is that the package went from Bloomington to Phoenix to Chandler (which is the regional FedEx hub in the East Valley area). But... why put it on the damn truck twice?