Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Thank god I'm a nurse. I already have 3 interviews and 1 job offer in less than 48 hours the job offer paying at min 5 dollars more an hour than I was making. and I got my tax return in today
Do you ever browse r/nursing? Might be worth asking around about your prospective employers over there. If they're offering a lot and want you to start right away, decent chance it's a gigantic shitshow.

Alright. 3 interviews 3 job offers. all of them with a $5/hour pay raise over my last job. I start the new one next Monday so that puts me one week behind on pay so theoretically *if* I need need a hat which I'm not saying I won't it'll only be a few hundred to stretch one week until my paycheck hits. but thank goodness I'm employed again.

So my father in law drives like a maniac.

It was a long weekend this past weekend in Taiwan. My wife and I headed over to visit her family in her hometown, which mainly consists of her dad, her mom, and her older sister. Since we hadn't seen them in a while, they'd planned some interesting activities and meals together, which my FIL drove us to in his car. The problem, however, is that apparently he has an issue with road rage, and I just never witnessed it in action before today. Usually he drives normally, but if something sets him off, like someone else drives too slow or cuts him off or honks at him, he'll get mad and then start driving like he's trying to shake a 3 star wanted level in GTA. And if anyone in the car asks him to calm down and drive slower, he'll get even madder and start driving even crazier. I don't even remember what got him mad this particular time, I think it was something like the car in front turned too slowly at an intersection, but basically he started ranting and zooming around like he's in a Fast and Furious movie. I think we almost hit three other cars by the time we got to our destination.

My wife, MIL, and SIL kept telling him to calm down and slow down, but he wouldn't. At one point my wife even turned to me and asked, "Are you scared?" And I deliberately said no, I'm fine, because I didn't want my FIL to think I was piling on alongside my MIL and SIL, which might make him even madder.

Now, admittedly my FIL is a much better driver than I am, and so far he hasn't even gotten into a car accident. So maybe he really is fully in control even when he's driving mad. But it sure didn't feel that way from where I was sitting in the backseat. I also worry that since he's getting older (he's in his 70s now) his reactions or eyesight might start deteriorating, and he won't be able to pull off his feats of car-fu in the future, and he'll get into a high-speed crash while my MIL and SIL are in the car. But he's also clearly shown that he's not interested in anyone criticizing his driving, nor is he willing to relinquish driving duties to my SIL, so... yeah.

I just got my ass thoroughly smashed by bureaucracy.

I'm filling out the new security clearance form for my new job. Which has been updated to be as thoroughly impossible to fill out as humanly possible full of exact dates and numbers for everything you've done, lived or worked for the past decade. It also requires exact tax numbers, something I don't have off hand. I go to log in to the Canada Revenue Agency website and because I'm not logging in from my home down south, it requires tax information from years ago in order for me to log in. THAT'S THE FUCKING REASON I'M LOGGING INTO THE CRA WEBSITE. I guess the two-factor authentication requiring both banking and intensely personal information is no longer enough and they need me to carve out an eyeball and have it sent in to them personally for ID checking.

Cool, that just means I have to call the phone number for CRA to get my account unlocked. Great. I fill in all my personal information (which it then tells me that some agents use unsecured cellphones which made me bark in enraged laughter), then it tells me the wait times exceed two hours and to call back later.

I can't fill out anything right now because I am 800 miles away from any hard copy of any tax information.

Can't officially start work until these forms are completed. SO I SIT ON MY FUCKING THUMBS AND WATCH FOOD NETWORK.

Because who doesn't love watching a TV channel that only plays one show all day? Also when did this become a thing? All cable networks just play one show all day. Comedy just plays episodes of Big Bang, Space just plays episodes of Castle (you know, the classic Sci-fi series), Food just plays Beat Bobby Flay (heaven forbid it show good cooking shows). This is infuckingtolerable and I'm losing my fucking mind up here with limited internet and THIS for entertainment.

Idk how it is in Canada but Beat Bobby Flay is just Mondays and Thursdays here. Tomorrow will be Chopped, Wednesday will be Guy’s Grocery Games, and Friday will be Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.

Yeah, basically the same here and it's insane. When did TV just become one show all day? Because I wouldn't pay 10 dollars for this bullshit, let alone the hundreds it probably costs a month.

At least I get to watch ads for Bel-Air every single commercial break.

I'm surprised they haven't asked you for proof of ancestry dating back to 1750.

I also think that the marathons got started with Deadliest Catch, Mythbusters, and American Chopper. Before those shows came along marathons were usually reserved for special events such as PBS fundraisers. It's probably cheaper to license a handful of shows than it is to keep a variety. I remember when I could watch a bloc of Sanford and Son, All in the Family, Happy Days, and The Jeffersons in one evening. Now it's just Friends. My wife uses that show as white noise to help her sleep.

I'm legitimately mad that Space (or CTV Sci-Fi, or whatever it's called now) will spend a whole fucking day playing Castle, but then show one episode of Star Trek The Next Generation, before settling back into marathons of Castle.

Fuck you. FUCK YOU. It feels laser targeted to piss me off specifically because Space used to be my go to. It would just cycle shitty Canadian made sci-fi shows all day, like the Stargates, Andromedas etc. I'd get a good washing of random sci-fi.

But to replace all this with a police procedural of all thing is like particularly insulting to ME SPECIFICALLY.

I tried calling the Canada Revenue Agency again. After the whole rigamarole it asked me if I wanted to be called back at my number. Didn't offer me that last time. I press 1 for yes.

It responds verbatim, "We're sorry, that service is full, goodbye." and hangs up on me.

My aunt's (the place I'm staying) neighbors probably think I'm an unhinged lunatic from the torrent of expletives I shouted to the heavens.

Last edited:
If I ever meet whoever chose the government hold music, which has not changed since I've been alive and still has the same static patches and incredibly shrill strings to make it as absolutely ear wrenchingly annoying as possible, I will fucking murder them. Cold blood. I will put my hands around their neck and squeeze until my hands meet in the middle.

Look, you brought this on yourself.
We need and crave your suffering. No horrible games being played for our entertainment, then we'll just have to intervene in your RL.

(sorry for your experience, bureaucracy is hell)

I'm legitimately mad that Space (or CTV Sci-Fi, or whatever it's called now) will spend a whole fucking day playing Castle, but then show one episode of Star Trek The Next Generation, before settling back into marathons of Castle.

Fuck you. FUCK YOU. It feels laser targeted to piss me off specifically because Space used to be my go to. It would just cycle shitty Canadian made sci-fi shows all day, like the Stargates, Andromedas etc. I'd get a good washing of random sci-fi.

But to replace all this with a police procedural of all thing is like particularly insulting to ME SPECIFICALLY.
Castle on Space doesn't even make sense. It's a crime drama, not a sci-fi show by any definition. Sure, there's elements of nerd culture or references, but that's it. What, because Fillion was on Firefly, that makes anything else sci-fi if he's involved? Fuck you, Space.

Castle on Space doesn't even make sense. It's a crime drama, not a sci-fi show by any definition. Sure, there's elements of nerd culture or references, but that's it. What, because Fillion was on Firefly, that makes anything else sci-fi if he's involved? Fuck you, Space.
He is also canadian. Maybe that's the reason?

Well, I learned tonight that since the last time I watched the National Geographic channel, the Fox takeover is definitely in effect. Did you know they have Border Security Wednesdays on Natgeo? I know when I think of National Geographic, I think of the importance of border security and keeping those bad hombres out of my country and away from my jobs!

Well, I learned tonight that since the last time I watched the National Geographic channel, the Fox takeover is definitely in effect. Did you know they have Border Security Wednesdays on Natgeo? I know when I think of National Geographic, I think of the importance of border security and keeping those bad hombres out of my country and away from my jobs!
I had hoped that Disney’s acquisition would restore NatGeo to its former glory after Fox ruined it. But that would have required Disney to have a soul and a sense of decency, which was just foolish naïveté on my part.

Don't forget shows about prison gangs.

I was raised in a PBS family. We frequently watched National Geographic, Nature, and Nova. We also subscribed to the National Geographic magazine and the kid's version. It's disappointing that NatGeo has plunged into reality TV and programming focused on the lowest common denominator.

Don't forget shows about prison gangs.

I was raised in a PBS family. We frequently watched National Geographic, Nature, and Nova. We also subscribed to the National Geographic magazine and the kid's version. It's disappointing that NatGeo has plunged into reality TV and programming focused on the lowest common denominator.
I still get the magazine and thankfully it's separate from the media division and was not affected by Fox. The past few months they've been doing articles on subjects that would make the average Fox News viewer's head explode (Native Americans, Black Americans, the current effects of climate change, etc.)