Roman Polanski

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crono1224

Well I don't speak for the rest of America but I'm a "black and white" guy I guess. I feel that if a crime is committed the punishment should be carried out no matter who you are.
black and white logic is the reason why the world is as fucked up as it is.[/QUOTE]

Impossible there cannot be any extra circumstances, a mentally disabled person committing a crime or a kid committing a crime deserve the same punishment as a stable adult. I mean after all if its purely black and white there can't be distinctions between age, mental state, or anything else.

I

Iaculus

Well I don't speak for the rest of America but I'm a "black and white" guy I guess. I feel that if a crime is committed the punishment should be carried out no matter who you are.
black and white logic is the reason why the world is as fucked up as it is.[/QUOTE]

Even with shades of grey, there's the case of where you put them. For instance, as mentioned above, one could believe that he should be sentenced because he committed a crime, but not believe that that sentence should be terribly harsh. If nothing else, it seems only fair that he pays for the extraordinary legal kerfuffle he's caused, but that sentence does not necessarily have to involve tar, feathers, and a rectally-inserted burning stake - though whichever poor sod was doing the paperwork for this when they could have been dealing with other, potentially more serious matters may disagree.

T

Twitch

black and white logic is the reason why the world is as fucked up as it is.[/quote]

Impossible there cannot be any extra circumstances, a mentally disabled person committing a crime or a kid committing a crime deserve the same punishment as a stable adult. I mean after all if its purely black and white there can't be distinctions between age, mental state, or anything else.[/QUOTE]
I didn't think that's what we were referring to. I thought we could be mature enough to keep the situations we referred to within the realm of the case at hand.

C

crono1224

black and white logic is the reason why the world is as fucked up as it is.[/quote]

Impossible there cannot be any extra circumstances, a mentally disabled person committing a crime or a kid committing a crime deserve the same punishment as a stable adult. I mean after all if its purely black and white there can't be distinctions between age, mental state, or anything else.[/QUOTE]
I didn't think that's what we were referring to. I thought we could be mature enough to keep the situations we referred to within the realm of the case at hand.[/QUOTE]

Case at hand? you are saying black and white it can't simply apply to certain crimes and not others. My problem was with the black and white statement, because it certainly feels like people feel like 'certain crimes' are just black and white.

T

Twitch

Impossible there cannot be any extra circumstances, a mentally disabled person committing a crime or a kid committing a crime deserve the same punishment as a stable adult. I mean after all if its purely black and white there can't be distinctions between age, mental state, or anything else.[/quote]
I didn't think that's what we were referring to. I thought we could be mature enough to keep the situations we referred to within the realm of the case at hand.[/quote]

Case at hand? you are saying black and white it can't simply apply to certain crimes and not others. My problem was with the black and white statement, because it certainly feels like people feel like 'certain crimes' are just black and white.[/QUOTE]
Rape is pretty black and white. I'm not too familiar with mentally disabled people raping anyone but I'm sure there's a system worked out. I just don't know of it.

L

lafftaff

I'm coming into this late but I'll try.

I'm sorry, when did we just start forgiving rape? "You do pretty things now, so it doesn't matter that you raped a child or ran away" The man raped a child, how is that forgiveable/forgettable? He jumped bail & has evaded capture for a terrible crime. He finally got caught, deal with it. Crimes of passion are still crimes.

This man hasn't had any real punishment at all for his terrible, child-raping crime. Unless traveling the world doing what you love has suddenly become punishment.

Yes, the victim's parents may have put her in a bad position, but that doesn't excuse Polanski for raping her. He still chose to rape a 13 yr-old girl. If I wear a short skirt it doesn't suddenly give someone the right to rape me. "But she was asking for it officer" is not an excuse.

He may not have 'raped' again, but he continued to date teenage girls. Once jumping bail & living free in France he dated Nastassja Kinski, who was 15 at the time & about 33 yrs his junior.

Polanski drugged & raped a 13yr-old girl. He then ran away when it looked like he might have to actually be punished for that crime. How people can just gloss over all that is beyond me.

J

JONJONAUG

This entire case reminds me of this:

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=11926

The guy drugged and raped a 13 year old girl. I very much enjoy his movies, I can respect the French for not extraditing him because he's a citizen of France, but he drugged and raped a 13 year old girl. He took his penis, stuck it in her vagina, then stuck it in her ass to ejaculate. That shit don't fly.

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=11926

The guy drugged and raped a 13 year old girl. I very much enjoy his movies, I can respect the French for not extraditing him because he's a citizen of France, but he drugged and raped a 13 year old girl. He took his penis, stuck it in her vagina, then stuck it in her ass to ejaculate. That shit don't fly.
I remember reading about a particular French case in which several low level governmental employees were running and participating in a child sex slave ring. One day, the father of one of the girls involved in the ring collects his child and runs to the US, seeking asylum. The US grants it and everything looks like it will be a happy ending... until one day, French officials kidnap the girl and take her back to France. They refuse to return her and the Father is turned away at the border (or Airport rather) when he tries to go back and get her.

I think it's mentioned in the book Everything you Know is Wrong.

Juxtaposition is important when dealing metaphorically.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

This made me laugh:

"Martin Scorsese and Woody Allen are among a group of people in the film industry who have signed a petition objecting to the 76-year-old director's arrest."

Oh, Woody Allen's out there defending charges of sex with minors.. That's helpful!

"Martin Scorsese and Woody Allen are among a group of people in the film industry who have signed a petition objecting to the 76-year-old director's arrest."

Oh, Woody Allen's out there defending charges of sex with minors.. That's helpful!
Facepalm @ Woody, but a giant WTF to Martin. This "he's a great artist" bullshit makes me want to spit nails.

L

Laurelai

Juxtaposition is important when dealing metaphorically.[/QUOTE]

HA!!

Dave

Staff member
Dude should be put in jail for a long, long time. Bring him back here and we'll put him in general population. If not for the crime itself but for being caught on the warrant for fleeing arrest, which he could be jailed for easily. People are put in jail all the time that are not a danger to society - that argument is just silly.

It's punishment pure and simple.

Oh, and cut his rapist dick off.

C

Chazwozel

I find it funny that these articles come out days after Samantha Geimer was quoted in saying the media was far worse than what Polanski did to her.

I find it funny that these articles come out days after Samantha Geimer was quoted in saying the media was far worse than what Polanski did to her.
Yeah, I really feel bad for her, constantly having to have this dredged up. No wonder she just wants it all over with.

That was part of the reason for the plea bargaining with Polanski. They wanted to avoid putting her on the stand and then having the media scrutinize her. Of course, that whole plan fell apart when he ran off and she was subjected to 30 years of it.

C

Chazwozel

hey according to Whoopi It's not like it was rape-rape.
I think in Whoopi's own little stupid way she was trying to blurt out that it was statutory rape. Eitherway, that statement made me /facepalm in real life when I heard it.

I know it is a little caveman of me, but I still see it as much more distasteful/illegal/immoral to yank some one off the street at the point of a weapon - than what the crime committed by Polanski.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Now the media is reporting the details of Elizabeth Smart's case.

Of course the headline is: Elizabeth Smart says she was raped daily
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091001/ap_on_re_us/us_elizabeth_smart

Why can't the media just say: Victim (Smart) testifies against kidnapper.

I know it is a little caveman of me, but I still see it as much more distasteful/illegal/immoral to yank some one off the street at the point of a weapon - than what the crime committed by Polanski.
[/QUOTE]

Are... are you joking? Are you making some kind of weird joke about how unknown forced rape is worse than some old guy drugging and raping a 13 year old girl?
You are making some weird joke I don't get right?

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

I think in Whoopi's own little stupid way she was trying to blurt out that it was statutory rape. Eitherway, that statement made me /facepalm in real life when I heard it.[/QUOTE]

I think you might be right, that's probably what she meant.

Which probably means she has never read the report of what went down. It's hard to read through it and not say it was, I can't believe I'm going to say this... but, "rape-rape".:faint2:

Okay, see, you didn't say the Smart girl case. Yes, that was a more "horrible" crime, due to the length of time. I'm not going to say it was "worse" for the victim, I don't think you can compare that sort of thing, but in the eyes of justice it certainly is.
The way you wrote your post though... it just sounded like you were saying something rather different since you didn't mention Smart until your edit.

Well, it's been a long time.

But you know what? We don't have a statute of limitations on some crimes, like rape and murder. He still needs to be brought to the justice system to account for his accounts.

Just because you successfully fled the country for a few decades doesn't mean you get a free pass.

Well, it's been a long time.

But you know what? We don't have a statute of limitations on some crimes, like rape and murder. He still needs to be brought to the justice system to account for his accounts.

Just because you successfully fled the country for a few decades doesn't mean you get a free pass.
Actually, some places in the US DO have a statute of limitations on rape and murder because it's not a federal crime, and each state/county can set it's own statute. It's asinine... some places actually have longer statutes for parking tickets than they do for Rape.

It really surprised me how many people came out to support him. You'd expect a few no matter what he did but goddamn, it's like there is a separate reality that we didn't know about.

A

Armadillo

It really surprised me how many people came out to support him. You'd expect a few no matter what he did but goddamn, it's like there is a separate reality that we didn't know about.[/QUOTE]

What blew my mind about the View wasn't so much the whole "rape-rape" thing (stupid as it was), but that you had a group of women DEFENDING A RAPIST.

It really surprised me how many people came out to support him. You'd expect a few no matter what he did but goddamn, it's like there is a separate reality that we didn't know about.[/QUOTE]

What blew my mind about the View wasn't so much the whole "rape-rape" thing (stupid as it was), but that you had a group of women DEFENDING A RAPIST.[/QUOTE]

The important thing is that he wasn't a "rapist-rapist" though.

I suspect that lots of people are going to be distancing themselves from their earlier statements over the next few days. Everyone can see this freight train of a wreck that Polanski is strapped to isn't going to end well.

-Adam

I supported him back when I thought it was a statutory rape charge. Then I read what happened, and the girl's testimony, and I fully admit that I was wrong, and that he should be brought to justice.

It could be that the majority of people supporting him simply don't know the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.