[TV] S.H.I.E.L.D.

It hasn't really caught my eye until now. I kinda figured it would just be a throw-away show for the sole purpose of bleeding out the franchise as much as possible. Buy hey. If they have Whedon working on it then I guess they kinda actually have some decent names involved. I'll bet the series has a strong tie into the 2nd Avengers movie.

Eeeeeeeh. I want it to be good but I really have this feeling that like most shows that need good fx but don't have the budget it's going to suffer and end up have a lot of, "Oh hey look, it's an amazing superpower over there! I mean, don't look at it! I'll describe it to you! Wow! It's awesome! I wish you could see what the Hulk just did! But you can't!"

See maybe this is the real worry I have: "They've got an entire universe to play with"

Everyone knows theres this huge marvel universe and if it turns out to be a generic police procedural that can't afford to actually explore that world then it's going to be a procedural version of "Heroes". And that sounds awful and will leave mainstream audiences going "When does Iron Man show up? He doesn't? Captain America? No? Scarlett Johansen? Oh. Well... is there a singing competition on somewhere?"

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea and I'd love it to succeed, but I think my concerns are valid.

Your concern can be boiled down to "Aren't most Americans too stupid to enjoy this, even if it's done well?"

Which is a concern for every show that isn't reality show trash.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I do think that's a valid concern. I just think it's a valid concern for most scripted shows, not just this one.

The Marvel and DC universes NEVER made sense to me. EVER. Everyone is practically a super hero. You could walk down a busy street, and you'll probably see at least a few dozen super heroes (even ones who are in their secret identities). Yet crime still happens. Not just super-villain worthy crime. Street crime. Bank robberies. Purse snatchings. Some guy runs through the city mugging people and thinks to himself "I'll never get caught. Lalala". Then he's surprised when Green Arrow or Spider-Man runs in and stops him. Then there's the fact that so many of the heroes/villains are either over-powered or under-powered. It's rather convenient that the villains that Batman is capable of dealing with hang out in Gotham City. But it's always a big fight and sometimes can be a close call for the dark knight. Whereas Super-Man could probably just wander by, walk through all of Joker's traps unscathed, and fly the jerk off to jail. Heck. Might not even be a bad idea to send the guy off to an intergalactic lock-up rather than keep putting him into the one prison he keeps breaking out of. It begs the question; why do heroes with such lower powered abilities even make a difference when compared to the big boys? It's such a difference that even a

Personally I prefer the universes where super humans are very rare. This is why I often prefer movies over comics because typically the movie doesn't often acknowledge that there might be other people like the main hero out there. No where in the Spider-Man films is it hinted that the Fantastic 4, the X-men, or the Avengers might come to his aid. And you'd think they would given certain circumstances. "Oh no. The Lizard is about to turn all of New York into Lizard people. Where are the Avengers? Probably eating shawarma."

The Marvel and DC universes NEVER made sense to me. EVER. Everyone is practically a super hero. You could walk down a busy street, and you'll probably see at least a few dozen super heroes (even ones who are in their secret identities). Yet crime still happens. Not just super-villain worthy crime. Street crime. Bank robberies. Purse snatchings. Some guy runs through the city mugging people and thinks to himself "I'll never get caught. Lalala". Then he's surprised when Green Arrow or Spider-Man runs in and stops him.

It's almost as if a purely top-down approach on the problem of crime isn't the solution. But that's another thread.

Personally I prefer the universes where super humans are very rare. This is why I often prefer movies over comics because typically the movie doesn't often acknowledge that there might be other people like the main hero out there. No where in the Spider-Man films is it hinted that the Fantastic 4, the X-men, or the Avengers might come to his aid. And you'd think they would given certain circumstances. "Oh no. The Lizard is about to turn all of New York into Lizard people. Where are the Avengers? Probably eating shawarma."
It's more about character rights than it is about storytelling in that case.

Your concern can be boiled down to "Aren't most Americans too stupid to enjoy this, even if it's done well?"

Which is a concern for every show that isn't reality show trash.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I do think that's a valid concern. I just think it's a valid concern for most scripted shows, not just this one.
That is absolutely not my concern. My concern is that they create a show built upon a certain expectation of quality and entertainment and cannot meet that expectation.

No, I mean Sony has the movie rights to Spider-Man, Marvel Studios has the rights to the Avengers.
Ah, still. But either way the opportunity has been there for some franchises. The DC universe for example is owned by Warner Bros and they have yet to really link any of their character franchises beyond just animation. I think I've heard a nod or two on occasion, such as someone mentioning Gotham City in a Superman movie before, but other than that it's like each character resides in their own dimension where they are the most unique individual.

Like it or not, people are going to want The Avengers and if they get Heroes instead I don't know that it will succeed. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

I don't know that it wouldn't succeed if it does end up being like Heroes. Sure, it won't be Avengers or Iron Man popular, but it'll do fine.

Like I said, I hope it does work, they have some good folks working on it, it's a hard world to translate to TV though so good luck to them.

SHIELD: little bad guys bent on dominating THE ENTIRE TRI-STATE AREA!
I think the best route would be to focus on helping people first discovering their powers. Sure there's some out to hurt people that need to be dealt with, but more that just need help controlling it. Where this would work, and where Heroes went south, is that they can keep the powers minimal by shuffling out people with powers on a regular basis. Heroes fell into the trap where the heroes got too powerful, and they couldn't afford to show their powers. Plus the main characters pretty much became Gods, which sounds fun but is hard to make into a dramatic story.

I don't think anyone is going into this show expecting to see the Avengers. Even people who aren't familiar with the way in which films are made are going to expect Robert Downy Jr. to step down from movies to TV. On the plus side, they can easily introduce some Avengers who haven't shown up in the movies, like Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Wasp, Giant Man, etc... Some heroes powers are extemely easy to do on a low budget. How hard would it be to greenscreen someone to be giant or small?

I feel that the real question is whether it can be pulled off if the emphasis is not on the Avengers. Not if people will watch it knowing the Avengers are not in it. You need to make a show based around a group of agents who, for the most part, do not have super powers, or perhaps a few who have some minor ones. While I don't suspect they will be fighting low level crime, they certainly will be looking into terrorist plots and saving the world on a smaller scale. But how do you pull off a show about people living in a world of Super Heroes? Characters development. And who knows how to do that better than Joss?

fade

Staff member
The worst Heroes sin it could commit is to start out well and peter out. (ooo mysteries! ooo Sylar is scary! Ooo the man with the glasses creeps the hell out of me! Hiro is... well Hiro is awesome! --later-- Oh. That's it?)

I just realized. Avengers was a huge success, and shows like Bones, Persons of Interest, and NCIS are huge successes. I really think ABC would have to work pretty hard to screw this up.

SHIELD looks fun. You know... after seeing that latest trailer it occurs to me that it would be the perfect vehicle to introduce the Skrulls.

What Bowielee said. So you probably won't get Skrulls... which is actually a good thing, in my opinion. The "He/she was a Skrull all along!" mechanic was overused to the point it just became stupid and lazy.

The Chitari are the Skrulls of the Ultimate universe. Same thing, in the comics, the Chitari are also shape shifters.
They used the name and nothing else. In the Ultimate comics, yes, they were shape-shifters, but we didn't see a single bit of that in the movie.

Also, a thought occurred to me. Marvel recently won back the rights to both Ghost Rider and Daredevil. I would love to see a court case episode and suddenly Matt frigging Murdock appears to represent.