Sam Raimi and WarCraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.blizzard.com/us/press/090721.html

Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and Legendary Pictures announced today that Sam Raimi has signed on to direct the eagerly-anticipated major motion picture based on Blizzard Entertainment®’s award-winning Warcraft® universe. Raimi has, in the course of his career, clearly demonstrated a genius for developing and adapting existing fictional universes for mainstream audiences while staying true to the spirit of the original content.
Raimi directed the Spider-Man trilogy, which has broken box-office records around the world and garnered five Academy Award® nominations. Known for his imaginative filmmaking style, richly drawn characters and offbeat humor, Raimi wrote and directed the cult classic, The Evil Dead and produced 30 Days Of Night. He most recently wrote and directed the supernatural thriller, Drag Me To Hell.

\"At its core, Warcraft is a fantastic, action-packed story,\" said Raimi. \"I am thrilled to work with such a dynamite production team to bring this project to the big screen.\"

Charles Roven’s producing talents were recently seen with last summer’s blockbuster The Dark Knight, which grossed in excess of $1 billion, was nominated for eight Academy Awards® and won two. His body of work also includes the widely acclaimed Batman Begins and the sci-fi classic 12 Monkeys. Roven, with Atlas producing partner Alex Gartner, will be producing with Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull, Legendary’s Chief Creative Officer Jon Jashni, Raimi and Raimi’s producing partner Joshua Donen. Raimi’s partner, Robert Tapert, will be an Executive Producer and Blizzard Entertainment’s Senior Vice President of Creative Development, Chris Metzen, a Co-Producer.

\"Partnering with Sam Raimi exemplifies Legendary's mandate of marrying the highest quality intellectual property to world-class filmmakers\" said Legendary’s Tull. \"Sam's passion for 'Warcraft' is undeniable and we know that he will create an incredible film worthy of Blizzard's phenomenal franchise. We look forward to collaborating with our partners at Warner Bros. and continuing our successful relationship with Chuck in bringing this rich new world to the screen.\"

\"Blizzard Entertainment and Legendary Pictures have a shared vision for this film and we searched at length to find the very best director to bring that vision to life,\" said Paul Sams, chief operating officer of Blizzard Entertainment. \"From our first conversation with Sam, we could tell he was the perfect choice. Sam knows how to simultaneously satisfy the enthusiasts and the mainstream audience that might be experiencing that content for the first time. We're looking forward to working with him to achieve that here.\"
This is like a dream come true, someone pinch me, seriously. If anyone can get the action and humor of the WarCraft franchise into one blockbuster package, it would be Sam. I had such little hopes for this movie even coming out, let alone having a possibility of being decent. Now... now I don't know, I have a lot of faith Sam will make it entertaining. Oh, and Bruce Campbell appearing in a WarCraft movie? I sure hope so. :eek:

Here's hoping Raimi learns his lesson from Spiderman 3 and doesn't try to cram too many characters into one movie. That goes for the studio, too.

Spider-Man 3 was Sam Raimi trying to teach the studio the lesson about forcing characters on him. Obviously it didn't work considering that it was a massive box office success anyway.

C

Chibibar

WarCraft has tons of lore already built in. I am hoping the studio will not try to cram it all at once. They got enough material to make couple of movies (pretty easy I think)

*prays*

Dammit, i'm gonna need new underpants....

But it's too bad this is probably gonna be closer to WoW's time then WC1's.

bhamv2 said:
Here's hoping Raimi learns his lesson from Spiderman 3 and doesn't try to cram too many characters into one movie. That goes for the studio, too.
Pretty sure I read that such was due to the suit wanting Venom when Raimi didn't. I can imagine that causing him to lose a lot of heart when the guy signing the checks tells him who he can have in his movie, the first two movies were still awesome in every way, and his old stuff is classic. Even his newest movie was great, even if the ending was a bit depressing.

Blizzard has said that this movie will represent an "Ultimate" universe rather then staying completely true to the games, the setting will be the same but the storyline will be open for them to use anything. Though I think they will still cave and do some tie-ins if the movie is a success. Other then that all I know is that it will concentrate on one of the Alliance races, rather the the Horde, and that it will take place BEFORE WoW starts, but not during the first two wars. (In other words, don't expect evil orcs)

Considering how long I learned this info (The movie has been in limbo for years), it all could be changed.

C

Chibibar

@Li3n said:
Dammit, i'm gonna need new underpants....

But it's too bad this is probably gonna be closer to WoW's time then WC1's.

gosh I hope not :(

I mean with WC 1, 2 and 3 that is like 3 movies :)

Do you think Bliz will actually get to write it? or they have to use movie writers?

ScytheRexx said:
Other then that all I know is that it will concentrate on one of the Alliance races, rather the the Horde, and that it will take place BEFORE WoW starts, but not during the first two wars. (In other words, don't expect evil orcs)

Considering how long I learned this info (The movie has been in limbo for years), it all could be changed.
I sure hope it did...

Starting with the Orc invasion would be so much better... just have the NE in a brief cameo pondering the new events or something...

And the Orc don't need to be all evil, you could just show how they're slowly being corrupted, and have some chieftains actually trying to stop that... all culminating in the 3rd film where they kill Mannoroth either just as the humans finally win the war or as their brethren are escaping interment camps.

I didn't just have a geekgasm when I read this on Twitter, I think I had a...um...other type of gasm too. :paranoid:

L

LordRavage

Has a script been put together yet or are they still working on it?

I would like to have some idea in which direction the movie will go.

Possible release dates for the movie? If it is five years from now....I may have quell my excitment.

Chibibar said:
Do you think Bliz will actually get to write it? or they have to use movie writers?
You can't get closer to the head of WarCraft lore then Chris Metzen, so having him actually on the production staff is already a good sign. I hear he will also be writing the script.

It actually made me think, I would love a live action version of his e-book "Of Blood and Honor".

C

Chibibar

ScytheRexx said:
Chibibar said:
You can't get closer to the head of WarCraft lore then Chris Metzen, so having him actually on the production staff is already a good sign. I hear he will also be writing the script.

It actually made me think, I would love a live action version of his e-book "Of Blood and Honor".
well... then I'm stoked (if that is the correct term to use) I can't to see this.

Shegokigo said:
@Li3n said:
After what WoW did to WC lore that's neutral news to me...
/philhartmanfrankenstein "CHANGE BAD! BAAAAD!"
Easily avodable retconing = BAAAAD......

90% of the lore in the WC3 manual is no longer canon because he couldn't just make the Draenei split of the Eredar before Sargeras met them...

@Li3n said:

90% of the lore in the WC3 manual is no longer canon because he couldn't just make the Draenei split of the Eredar before Sargeras met them...
Yeah, so improving the lore to be more fleshed out and able to branch into many different paths/books/stories/quests is bad because a manual (which was a couple of pages long) got a few lines of text rewritten? :Leyla:
sixpackshaker said:
Being a video game movie, I am sure Uwe Boll is available to direct...
He actually approached Blizzard for the position, where he was promptly "laughed out of the offices".
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52322

sixpackshaker said:
Who will they find to play the trolls?

Probably live action but many characters an monsters will have to be cgi.
Personally I always hoped it would be a CGI film by the folks who've done their CGI Game Intros.

Shegokigo said:
@Li3n said:

Yeah, so improving the lore to be more fleshed out and able to branch into many different paths/books/stories/quests is bad because a manual (which was a couple of pages long) got a few lines of text rewritten? :Leyla:
Because making the Eredar/Draenei just like the orcs = fleshing out...

plus, some weak race corrupting the most powerful Titan >>>>>>>>>>>> corrupted Titan turns good race, except not...

The Draenei - Eredar connection would have worked either way.

C

Chibibar

I would love it if it was CGI. The CGI effect are VERY nice and even realistic. I think it would be awesome. Live action can make it good, but we have seen what Bliz can do with non-live action...

Chibibar said:
I would love it if it was CGI. The CGI effect are VERY nice and even realistic. I think it would be awesome. Live action can make it good, but we have seen what Bliz can do with non-live action...
While I would love it to be CGI, I mean, seriously blown away love it, the issue is that Blizzard's Cinematic Department does not have enough people to put into a full length feature film and yet still make the cinematics for upcoming games (Remember, they also do the cinematics for StarCraft and Diablo). They would have to source it out to another company that would do the CGI, and something about that idea does not sit well with me. I think if I had that choice I would just pick live action. :eek:rly:

ZenMonkey said:
I didn't just have a geekgasm when I read this on Twitter, I think I had a...um...other type of gasm too. :paranoid:
A...Twittergasm?

And hey, if WoW ends up containing Bruce Campbell (and filmed in NZ, of course), you know what that really means, right? It means Bruce will be canon.

--Patrick

ScytheRexx said:
Chibibar said:
While I would love it to be CGI, I mean, seriously blown away love it, the issue is that Blizzard's Cinematic Department does not have enough people to put into a full length feature film and yet still make the cinematics for upcoming games (Remember, they also do the cinematics for StarCraft and Diablo). They would have to source it out to another company that would do the CGI, and something about that idea does not sit well with me. I think if I had that choice I would just pick live action. :eek:rly:
Build additional pylons! The buy some more animators...

Status
Not open for further replies.