Scarlet is Black!

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elph

At risk of it already posted...
http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/07 ... widow.html

More than one thought galloped across my mind when I saw our exclusive photos of Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow in Iron Man 2. In an effort to keep this a SFW post, here are the ones fit for polite company:

1. I'm very curious to see if Scarlett tries a Russian accent, as the character is -- in the comics, anyway -- an Eastern bloc operative named Natasha Romanoff.

2. Red is a very, very good color for her.

3. I wouldn't have thought it, but we've got a battle of the comic-booky redheads brewing, with Rachel Nichols appearing as Scarlett in August's G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. And ScarJo has come out swinging.

So, I put it to you, PopWatchers, if you've gotta choose between knockout actresses with red manes, black leather cat suits, and big guns, who's your pick?

Oh, and here's the cover of the upcoming EW...

A

Alex B.

Rachel Nichols is ridiculously hot.

Scarlet looks great. Wrist blasters and everything! Her hair is a little more curly and wavy than Widow's is, but no biggie.

E

elph

Charlie Dont Surf said:
At least this thread is straightforward in not being about the movie at all and just objectifying the otherwise talentless actress.
I've never claimed to be a deep individual.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
At least this thread is straightforward in not being about the movie at all and just objectifying the otherwise talentless actress.
Don't be a hater just becasue you would rather we were objectifying otherwise talentless actors...

S

Steven Soderburgin

bigcountry23 said:
Don't be a hater just becasue you would rather we were objectifying otherwise talentless actors...
What?

-- Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:20 pm --

CynicismKills said:
I was more excited about seeing the EW cover, that just means we're closer to this movie being out and I can't wait.
Jon Favreau tweeted yesterday that they were 2 days from the end of principle photography, which is pretty exciting! :)

Here's the EW article that goes along with those pictures:
Entertainment Weekly said:
Entertainment Weekly's second annual Comic-Con preview issue features Iron Man 2 on the cover, and inside it’s packed with exclusive first looks at highly anticipated TV shows, comic books, and movies.

The first Iron Man blasted Robert Downey Jr. back to stardom, and the superhero franchise is readying to return to the big screen on May 7, 2010. Iron Man will battle new villain Mickey Rourke, size up Scarlett Johansson (exclusive photo of ScarJo as Black Widow, after the jump!), and, hopefully, prove that the success of the first movie wasn’t a fluke. Downey knows the movie isn't an underdog this time around. \"There are a lot more invisible eyes on us now,\" he says.

When Marvel Studios first announced the sequel, no one was sure what the movie would be about. Downey, director Jon Favreau, screenwriter Justin Theroux, and the rest of the creative team struck upon the idea of introducing two very different foes for Stark. On one side is Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell), a fast-talking weapons manufacturer who fancies himself the next Tony Stark; on the other, Vanko, who, while incarcerated in a Russian prison, creates his own battle-suit, which shoots devastating, whip-like beams. Hammer and Whiplash join forces to take down Downey’s character, Tony Stark. Rourke, for his part, wanted to instill some lightness into the role of the heavy. \"I told Favreau, 'I don't want to just play him as a one-dimensional p----,'\" he says. \"He let me have a cockatoo, who I talk to and get drunk with while I’m making my suit.\"

Just as the deals were being hammered out, Terrence Howard -- who had played Stark’s best friend -- fell out of the sequel in a public salary dispute. The role was re-cast, with Don Cheadle stepping in. \"We had to make some tough deals,\" says Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige. \"When they got public, you go, 'That sucks. Okay, you want a peek behind the curtain? Here you are!'\" Says Cheadle, \"Terrence and I couldn’t be more different. We address it head-on in the movie in one exchange. We're not trying to fool people.\" (Cheadle admits he didn’t know much about Marvel’s superhero before the first movie came out: \"I always thought Iron Man was a robot.\")

Adding more flesh and blood to the new movie, Scarlett Johansson joined the cast as Stark’s mysterious new assistant, Natasha, who has an alter ego of her own, Black Widow. That introduction inevitably sparks romantic tension between Stark and former assistant Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow), who’s been promoted to CEO of Stark Industries. \"The men want it to be, like, 'Ooh, the girls are fighting over Tony,' but it's not as standard as that,\" says Paltrow. \"There's a weird male catfight fantasy. Downey agrees. He believes what differentiates the franchise from other superhero series can be summarized as follows: \"We're horny. Not, like, can't-bring-your-kids horny, but just…horny.\"

The question remains whether Iron Man 2 will soar like the first film or show signs of rust when it hits theaters. \"People are going to be more critical,\" says Downey. \"That’s their prerogative….In a way, there's no way to win, except to win. Big.\"

For more on Iron Man, as well as a first look at the hottest movies and TV shows heading to Comic-Con, pick up the new issue of Entertainment Weekly on stands Friday July 17.

bigcountry23 said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
I'd rather no one be objectified, actually. I would make the same post if it were about Robert Downey Jr.

I like where this thread is going. :popcorn:

As for the movie, like everyone else in the world I thought Iron Man was fantastic, and I'm excited to see the sequel is progressing along nicely.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Tress said:
As for the movie, like everyone else in the world I thought Iron Man was fantastic.
I wasn't crazy about it. It was fairly fun, but I found the movie a bit too shallow, the action left me pretty cold for the most part and the villains weren't very good. And that climax was really, really a let down. I do like it for Downey's performance and his really nice chemistry with Gwyneth Paltrow. :)

I'm fairly excited for this sequel, though.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
I'd rather no one be objectified, actually. I would make the same post if it were about Robert Downey Jr.
Oh baby, I'd objectify him. I'd objectify all over him.

Kissinger said:
Tress said:
As for the movie, like everyone else in the world I thought Iron Man was fantastic.
I wasn't crazy about it. It was fairly fun, but I found the movie a bit too shallow, the action left me pretty cold for the most part and the villains weren't very good. And that climax was really, really a let down. I do like it for Downey's performance and his really nice chemistry with Gwyneth Paltrow. :)

I'm fairly excited for this sequel, though.
hy?per?bo?le??/ha??p?rb?li/
–noun Rhetoric.
1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.
2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

S

Steven Soderburgin

Tress said:
hy?per?bo?le??/ha??p?rb?li/
–noun Rhetoric.
1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.
2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”
Yes, I realized you were being hyperbolic, but I wanted to take that opportunity to talk about some of my problems with the first movie anyway.

I hope those problems don't persist in this movie!

ZenMonkey said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Oh, dear. You've given Charlie cause to take umbrage. Umbrage, I say! :aaahhh:

E

elph

ZenMonkey said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
For Zen...

Yes, I know you've seen it, but since we're on the topic of objectifying... I figured I'd be fair.

W

Wasabi Poptart

ZenMonkey said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Would you be willing to share? I'd like to objectify the hell out of him. Especially after that pic of him as Sherlock Holmes where he's cuffed to the bed. :unibrow:

L

Le Quack

Charlie Dont Surf said:
bigcountry23 said:
[quote="Charlie Dont Surf":36d4p8d1]At least this thread is straightforward in not being about the movie at all and just objectifying the otherwise talentless actress.
I'd rather no one be objectified, actually. I would make the same post if it were about Robert Downey Jr.[/quote:36d4p8d1]

Scarlet was good in Lost in Translation.

W

Wasabi Poptart

ZenMonkey said:
WildSoul said:
Would you be willing to share?
I think the question is would he be willing to share.

(And if I go first, that'll be a no. :unibrow:)
I think we could convince him to share. The question then becomes how do we decide who goes first. I say we strip him and flip him. Heads or tails...we'd both win! :rofl:

Cajungal

Staff member
Jake said:
ZenMonkey said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Oh, dear. You've given Charlie cause to take umbrage. Umbrage, I say! :aaahhh:
:rofl:

But seriously, as for Scarlet, I like her sometimes and dislike her others. I don't know much about the comics, so I can't really make a judgement.

elph said:
For Zen...

Yes, I know you've seen it, but since we're on the topic of objectifying... I figured I'd be fair.
"Hey, baby, you and me's goin' on a date, Watson, that's the story."

Oh, this thread shames me. I thought Rachel Nichols was the daughter of Nichelle Nichols, and was pleased that she got to appear in the new Star Trek movie. Whoops. :facepalm:

Cajungal said:
:rofl:

But seriously, as for Scarlet, I like her sometimes and dislike her others. I don't know much about the comics, so I can't really make a judgement.

She's somewhat hit or miss with me.

Not the first time she's gone red though. Check out The Perfect Score more more red Scarlet-y goodness.

E

elph

Cajungal said:
I've gotta agree here. She's just another 'beautiful person' in Hollywood, so it's not something I get too worked up about....

Take these 2 images for example. I like the one on the left with her crawling, but the one on the right with her standing... something looks odd with her face. Like she's got some kind of mental illness. She's still pretty though.

Status
Not open for further replies.