Show me your watch!

And I mean wrist watches, not like voyeurism or anything. If you like to watch, take it to the NSFW forum.

So then, wrist watches! I've recently started collecting them, specifically mechanical ones, and I want to see what kinds of watches people here are wearing. I do own a smart watch but I've kinda grown to hate it, and I also just like the sort of mechanical engineering that goes into fully analog watches. They also have a timeless quality that will make them last forever, as opposed to the disposable tech of smart watches. No one is going to be excited to inherit their granddad's gen 1 apple watch, that thing will be useless.

So then, on to the two watches I recently picked up. First is the Invicta Pro Diver.

IMG_20200815_225403.jpg

People hate on Invicta as a company because they either make huge gaudy wrist watches, or they make homage pieces that are blatant copies of other watches. This is the latter, being an homage to the Rolex Submariner, the watch Sean Connery wore as James Bond. I think it's a beautiful piece, it has a reliable automatic movement from Seiko powering it, and by not being a Rolex you immediately knock a few zeroes off the price. I love this thing.

On to a slightly more vintage look, we have the 1963 Sea-gull pilots chronograph, made for the "people's liberation army" of China.

s-l400.jpg

Interesting history behind this watch, the communist Chinese regime under Mao began a project to allow them to manufacture snazzy chronographs that they could issue to their pilots and high ranking military officers. The problem was China at the time had no ability to make such a complicated watch movement, and so they ended up purchasing a movement and all of the machinery needed to produce it from Switzerland. So this piece is powered by a Swiss designed movement that was wholly manufactured in China.

Honestly, I like mechanical watches, but when smartphones became standard I stopped wearing mine since, well, checking my phone for the time is just as fast.

Honestly, I like mechanical watches, but when smartphones became standard I stopped wearing mine since, well, checking my phone for the time is just as fast.
Watches as an idea are a little antiquated anyway. Mechanical watches doubly so. A cheap battery powered quartz watch will keep time 100x more accurately than even the finest made mechanical watch, and everyone has a smartphone in their pocket with satellite synced perfect accuracy time. But it's this that leads me to wearing mechanical watches anyway. In a digital world there's just something I like about these little analog buggers from the past, and I like the way they look as a piece of jewelry.

I *hate* wrist watches, but I *LOVE* winding pocket watches! I mean, I only have one because I can't afford them and I never take it out with me because I don't want to damage it, but I do love them haha

Yet another Invicta, this one is the grand diver and is a little closer to what Invicta is known for, and hated for by watch snobs: giant gaudy pieces.

But while this one is definitely giant, it uses the more subdued submariner look. And I picked this one up in black and gold for a little extra bling. I'm not convinced on such a huge size (50mm diameter) but it's kinda growing on me.

IMG_20200819_154207.jpg

IMG_0286.JPG

I do like wearing a watch, to the point where if I'm not wearing one every time I move my arm my wrist feels ever so slightly off. This is a Skagen which I think watch snobs deride because it's not a fancy mechanical piece that cost hundreds of pounds, but I like the look of it & it's comfortable to wear.

View attachment 35017

I do like wearing a watch, to the point where if I'm not wearing one every time I move my arm my wrist feels ever so slightly off. This is a Skagen which I think watch snobs deride because it's not a fancy mechanical piece that cost hundreds of pounds, but I like the look of it & it's comfortable to wear.
That's a fine looking watch, don't let the snobs get you down. I like the date at the six o'clock

The only watch brands I think I would look down on is stuff like MVMT or Daniel Wellington. Not because I think the watches they offer are bad, per se, just that they were severely overpriced for what they are. They take cheap Chinese watches and just print their logo on them, so if you like how their watches look, just buy the original on AliExpress for a fraction of the cost.

I have a couple of novelty watches (that don't keep time worth a hoot), but otherwise I haven't worn a watch since high school until last year when I got an Apple Watch to keep tabs on my heart (nothing so far).

--Patrick

I have a couple of novelty watches (that don't keep time worth a hoot), but otherwise I haven't worn a watch since high school until last year when I got an Apple Watch to keep tabs on my heart (nothing so far).

--Patrick
I'm sure you'll find your heart eventually

GasBandit

Staff member
I used to have a wristwatch, but the band broke and I started keeping it in my laptop bag, and then my laptop bag (and laptop) got stolen 8 years or so ago, and I never got another watch.

It's nothing fancy, but it was relatively inexpensive, and it's reliable and gets the job done.

I personally prefer metal straps over cloth or leather ones, because I'm a sweaty guy and if my watch straps start absorbing the sweat then bad aromas happen. Apart from that, I generally don't care about other features or cool stuff.

20200821_084145.jpg

EDIT: Also, interesting story about Swatches, my wife and I actually used to have identical Swatch watches. We got them as a pair back when we were dating. I accidentally dropped mine and broke something inside, so I replaced it with an identical one, and then that one stopped working when the aforementioned sweat got inside and gunked up the mechanism. Then, because that particular watch was no longer available, I replaced it with my current one, which looks quite similar. My wife is much less clumsy and much less sweaty than me, and her watch is still going strong 15 years later.

It's nothing fancy, but it was relatively inexpensive, and it's reliable and gets the job done.

I personally prefer metal straps over cloth or leather ones, because I'm a sweaty guy and if my watch straps start absorbing the sweat then bad aromas happen. Apart from that, I generally don't care about other features or cool stuff.

View attachment 35027
I prefer nylon bands for that same reason, they don't soak up any sweat and are generally lighter than metal bands.

And that watch looks nice! Swatch group make a lot of fun watches.

figmentPez

Staff member
You know I expected more people to have watches they wanted to show off.
My love for watches is all about practicality. I wear a Timex with a big, easy to read, digital display. It's not much to look at. I'm glad that wearing watches hasn't gone completely out of style, but I'm honestly annoyed that analog watches (and to some extent art-piece digital watches that require decoding to read) get pretty much all of the love. I cannot quickly read an analog watch, my brain just doesn't like it. Most digital watch designs are like 15+ years old at this point. Either that or they're new smart watches that are total crap or well out of my price range.

My love for watches is all about practicality. I wear a Timex with a big, easy to read, digital display. It's not much to look at. I'm glad that wearing watches hasn't gone completely out of style, but I'm honestly annoyed that analog watches (and to some extent art-piece digital watches that require decoding to read) get pretty much all of the love. I cannot quickly read an analog watch, my brain just doesn't like it. Most digital watch designs are like 15+ years old at this point. Either that or they're new smart watches that are total crap or well out of my price range.
I use to have a binary watch (with LED lights) no idea what happened to it but it was pretty cool, got it from thinkgeek

I cannot quickly read an analog watch, my brain just doesn't like it.
See, I have the opposite issue. When it's 4:50p, it's much easier for me to immediately grasp the concept of "almost 5pm" when looking at an analog watch than it is looking at a digital display that says 16:50. Same concept as a table of data v. a pie chart, I'm sure.

--Patrick

While my love for watches does center around the mechanical analog types, digital isn't forgotten among watch collectors. Of the "enthusiasts" I know everyone usually has at least one digital in the collection, and specifically the Casio GShock gets a lot of love for being full of features and damn near indestructible, while also being fairly cheap.

Casio_G-Shock_Lithium_front_1000.jpg

While my love for watches does center around the mechanical analog types, digital isn't forgotten among watch collectors. Of the "enthusiasts" I know everyone usually has at least one digital in the collection, and specifically the Casio GShock gets a lot of love for being full of features and damn near indestructible, while also being fairly cheap.

View attachment 35030
There was a time when my sister really liked Baby-G watches, which AFAIK are basically the female version of the G-Shock. However, since they were a bit too pricey for her at the time, she always held off on getting one. Until one day she came home with a new watch on her wrist, with a story of how she found a shop at a night market here in Taiwan that sold Baby-Gs for about a third of their usual price.

I was positively gleeful when I pointed out to her that her watch said "Boby-G".

1598016848062.jpeg

A looooooong time ago, I got one of these as my first real digital watch. I had a couple of “dumb” date&time-only ones prior to it (one of which was a ballpoint pen with a little LCD watch display in the barrel...remember those?), but this was the first one that actually had an alarm on it, chimed on the hour, etc. I was so geeked about it that I would set the alarm to go off on the half hour between chimes. What set it off from the other watches of the time (or even now, for that matter) is that it had no side buttons. All of the setting and mode changes were accomplished by multiple press/hold sequences at either end of the so-called “Command Bar” that you see running across the bottom of the face.

Sadly, much like Gas’ watch, once the band broke it became a ”pocket“ watch until the other pieces of the band also finally disintegrated, and I ended up disposing of it because while teen me could afford to buy 2x “S” cells/yr, he could not afford to buy a new band.

—Patrick

Fortunately, that's a picture of a bear I have and he and my mean cat are on my lap with me now :)

Otherwise that baseball team would be in trouble!

I don't own this watch (yet) but the next watch on my wish list is this beautiful Hamilton Pilot's Day-Date.

1598058927905.png

Which I will admit, my admiration of comes completely from the movie Interstellar.

1598058994722.png