[Rant] So Explain This To Me.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not helping them circumvate the income reporting system by paying them cash under the table so that he can report a lower income to receive government assistance? Because I'm pretty sure that's what was stated very clearly in her post.

I'm sure it's being done to avoid payroll taxes, not to make it easier for the employee to qualify for aid. Totally different departments.

--Patrick

S

SeraRelm

Intended or not, it's assisting them in abusing the system. Doing so to abuse another system for his own profit doesn't make it better.

Seriously Mathias?

He's giving them cash under the table, knowing they use the pay to avoid tax reporting and loss of food benefits. How can you not realize such an easy concept. What does this have to do with "choices in life"?

ug

Reading this thread reminded me of a few years ago being at the grocery store in line behind this family that primarily spoke Spanish getting pissed because the cashier couldnt run a few things (like beer and cigarettes) on their WIC card. After babbling at the cashier who didn't seem to understand a word of Spanish the father pulls out a WAD of $50 and $100 bills(seriously there had to be close to 5K cash in his pocket) and pays for the items and THEN argues over a $.04 discrepancy on the receipt in PERFECT English.

Shit like this makes me want there to be strict drug testing, income oversight, and other checks and balances for people on assistance.

Intended or not, it's assisting them in abusing the system. Doing so to abuse another system for his own profit doesn't make it better.
I'm pretty sure it makes it worse.

Sorry, Mathias, but Sera and Shego are totally in the right here.

He is not only avoiding paying taxes he should be paying himself, but also contributing to their abuse of the system in a very clear way by offering them unreportable income.

Dave

Staff member
I had my car looked at by my mechanic. When I went to pay in cash he dropped the price for me. I asked why and he said since I was paying in cash he was knocking off the tax.

Great for him, great for me...but gaming the system nonetheless.

Yeah, the father-in-law is gaming the system for his own end, but the unintended consequence is that it's helping the other people game the system as well...an it's a much bigger system gaming than one transaction at a mechanic. What these people don't realize is that if they get hurt on the job, being paid in cash means they are not entitled to any sort of worker compensation coverage. So if they hurt then they're screwed.

C

Chibibar

I had my car looked at by my mechanic. When I went to pay in cash he dropped the price for me. I asked why and he said since I was paying in cash he was knocking off the tax.

Great for him, great for me...but gaming the system nonetheless.

Yeah, the father-in-law is gaming the system for his own end, but the unintended consequence is that it's helping the other people game the system as well...an it's a much bigger system gaming than one transaction at a mechanic. What these people don't realize is that if they get hurt on the job, being paid in cash means they are not entitled to any sort of worker compensation coverage. So if they hurt then they're screwed.
well in the U.S. you can still use emergency room and get help, then dodge the system (pretty easily from what I understand) and get free healthcare.

Dave

Staff member
well in the U.S. you can still use emergency room and get help, then dodge the system (pretty easily from what I understand) and get free healthcare.
Uh...no. You would get the very much limited care - just enough to make sure you weren't going to die. Then they'd kick you out. And then the bills would start rolling in, the collection agencies would come after you and you'd be financially ruined and possibly even barred from getting a job.

C

Chibibar

Uh...no. You would get the very much limited care - just enough to make sure you weren't going to die. Then they'd kick you out. And then the bills would start rolling in, the collection agencies would come after you and you'd be financially ruined and possibly even barred from getting a job.
Heh, unless someone was using a random SS number to register (which someone did with my wife) and guess what? the bill was footed to US. luckily we were able to prove that my wife had never gotten any 25,000 emergency care and it went into "lost collection" since they got a fake name and my wife's SS to register during the emergency room.

Great, so our advice is to go to the emergency room, use a fake social security number, and hope to high hell they survive the brink of death. Oh, and hope we don't get caught and sent to jail for it.

We have a great system there.

C

Chibibar

Great, so our advice is to go to the emergency room, use a fake social security number, and hope to high hell they survive the brink of death. Oh, and hope we don't get caught and sent to jail for it.

So many loopholes that is for sure.

What are they going to do? Sue you for the funds you have never claimed to have anyway? In a home that you're recieving from Government benefits? Or how about the food that you get from the government?

They have nothing to lose by doing that.

In NJ, you can apply for "charity care" which means the state covers your medical bills, for one year. You have to prove that your income and total holdings are less than the state-calculated "poverty line", meaning you need to show them tax returns, bank statements, pay stubs, even get your HR department to say whether or not you have employee health insurance or to what degree you're covered. You can only apply once you've been billed for treatment. It's the only way I was able to afford my $21k Emergency Room treatment.

Collection agencies can't do much to you except make it difficult for you to get a loan in the future. A lot of people in that situation don't really give a shit about that.

M

makare

I have collection agencies calling me for my medical bills from my surgery. I tell them, SOMEDAY I will pay you. SOMEDAY I will, hopefully, be making good money. But as of right now.. does the phrase you cant squeeze blood from a stone mean anything to you!?

I have collection agencies calling me for my medical bills from my surgery. I tell them, SOMEDAY I will pay you. SOMEDAY I will, hopefully, be making good money. But as of right now.. does the phrase you cant squeeze blood from a stone mean anything to you!?
I saw something on the news once about how to get them to have to pay you for breaking policy, like asking if they can garnish your wages. If they say yes:

C

Chibibar

BTW, my comment is nothing against people who need the system. The system is in place to help people when needed. Food Stamps, government assistance in housing, medical, and emergency room are out there for people who REALLY need it and will pay back the system.

I have no doubt that people on this forum are using it (I have use some) and pay back (via getting a job and paying taxes) but there are people out there that abuse the system that was meant to do good. There are people who manage to circumvent all kinds of system and live better than we do :(

M

makare

Yeah garnishment is a pretty detailed process. also balls that process.. BALLS.

He's not helping them circumvate the income reporting system by paying them cash under the table so that he can report a lower income to receive government assistance? Because I'm pretty sure that's what was stated very clearly in her post.
How the father-in-law pays his employees is his business - most odds and ends part-time work is paid under the table tax free. You still have to report your total earnings to the government and "pay" for those wages. It benefits the father-in-law by not having to shell out outragious health care benefits costs etc...

How the fuck is he responsible for their actions on abusing welfare systems? He is in no way forcing these people to abuse the system. He stated in the post that the worker refuses any kind of work that's not under the table. Are you suggesting that all work should be reported to the government and taxed? All of it? Like a dude fixes your fence and you pay him a wage check? Are you retarded?

Like I said, people make their own choices. I hate this bullshit, nanny, blame the small business owner crap.

GasBandit

Staff member
He stated in the post that the worker refuses any kind of work that's not under the table. Are you suggesting that all work should be reported to the government and taxed? All of it? Like a dude fixes your fence and you pay him a wage check? Are you retarded?
Not that I necessarily agree with it, but yes, that is actually what the law requires, assuming the person in question makes more than $9000 a year total.

How the father-in-law pays his employees is his business - most odds and ends part-time work is paid under the table tax free. You still have to report your total earnings to the government and "pay" for those wages. It benefits the father-in-law by not having to shell out outragious health care benefits costs etc...

How the fuck is he responsible for their actions on abusing welfare systems? He is in no way forcing these people to abuse the system. He stated in the post that the worker refuses any kind of work that's not under the table. Are you suggesting that all work should be reported to the government and taxed? All of it? Like a dude fixes your fence and you pay him a wage check? Are you retarded?

Like I said, people make their own choices. I hate this bullshit, nanny, blame the small business owner crap.
Again, in this case, it's very much the small business owner's fault. People wouldn't even be able to game the system in the way described if people refused to hire these people off the books and pay them under the table. He is DIRECTLY contributing to their ability to skirt the system.

Again, in this case, it's very much the small business owner's fault. People wouldn't even be able to game the system in the way described if people refused to hire these people off the books and pay them under the table. He is DIRECTLY contributing to their ability to skirt the system.
Uh, no they choose to skirt the system themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.