So, what's the census on the console wars at this point?

So, apparently I'm getting a game console for Christmas. No one can afford to spring for a new PC, let alone me, so I'm going to end up getting a console and join the peasants for a while. I know some of you have one of more of these, so I'm wondering how it all stacks up, now that the stuff's been out for a while.

I'm leaning towards a PS4, although I kind of want the Halo collection because I largely missed out on the series. I know I'd like the Wii U, but pretty much *only* for Nintendo titles alone, which, while nice, probably doesn't justify buying the system. I guess my real question is, did the Xbox One ever get better after the largely disastrous launch? PS4 still most people's opinion on the console peasant system to get, if one had to get one?

I personally would get a PS4, if I couldn't have my PC, but it really just depends on preference. The PS4 is technically more powerful than the xbone, but that doesn't always mean games will play better on it, especially if the developer fucks shit up (ubisoft). So it really comes down to which has the better exclusives, and possibly which has the online service you want to use the most. The PS4 won't do you much good if all your friends are using xbox live (though it should make you question whether you want them as friends).

figmentPez

Staff member
The two most important things when buying a console:

1. Which has the games you want to play?
2. Which one are your friends playing on? (if you want multiplayer, or will borrow games)

Advanced question:
3. Why aren't you getting a gaming PC? (Not rhetorical, there are valid reasons to get a console, just know what they are.)

3. Why aren't you getting a gaming PC? (Not rhetorical, there are valid reasons to get a console, just know what they are.)
No one can afford to spring for a new PC, let alone me, so I'm going to end up getting a console and join the peasants for a while.
Really, the absolute minimum entry price for a decent "gaming" PC is right around the cost of a current-gen console, and I don't for one minute think that's coincidence.

--Patrick

The two most important things when buying a console:

1. Which has the games you want to play?
2. Which one are your friends playing on? (if you want multiplayer, or will borrow games)

Advanced question:
I'm sure they both will have games I want, and to be honest, most games are released on both consoles. I do want to kind of play Halo, but, I suppose that's a minor thing. As for friends, I've been away too long and have no idea what they play, so it doesn't really matter. I just looked at the coming exclusives for both and nothing really jumps out at me. I have a hunch PS4 will come through though...a lot of tech sites are still putting money on the PS4. Maybe that's what I'll ask for,

Also, a good gaming PC is going to cost me more than a console will. I like my gaming rigs to last a while, and I'm not going to be happy with a barebones system. Also, I'm not paying for this anyhow and It's going to be a gift so, eh.

Go for the one with the exclusives that interest you.

PS4 has Street Fighter 5 now, apparently forever. Xbox has Tomb Raider (though they admitted that one is timed) and each has their first party games.

In my opinion, both consoles are hot garbage currently until both companies get their heads out of their asses and give the consoles at least a fraction of the functionality the previous gen consoles had.

The only one worth buying is the Wii-U because it has the best exclusives.

No Man's Sky is PS4 and eventually PC. No word on Xbox. Non-exclusives that are gold in my book are Shadow of Mordor and Evolve comes out in February, but these are/will be available on Xbox and PC.

The only one worth buying is the Wii-U because it has the best exclusives.
He didn't sound too interested in going that route. However, if we're supposed to change his mind--the Wii U has really come along since even a year ago and has a few solid titles at this point that no other console has or will ever have:

- The Wonderful 101
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
- Pikmin 3
- Super Mario 3D World
- Mario Kart 8
- Bayonetta 2 (which comes with the first game as well)
- Super Smash Bros Wii U

And then to come in 2015:

- Splatoon
- New Star Fox
- New Zelda

And that's just what we know about, since Nintendo has that fun thing where they tell us about a game only a few months before it comes out. Plus there are some cool indie exclusive games, the VC has SNES and GBA games. Wii U was our next-gen purchase, what we thought was going to be our only next-gen purchase, and we had no regrets. Just by luck that we got a PS4 recently, but the Wii U was my first and almost only choice.

If you might just get a gaming rig PC later, you might as well get a Wii U now since a lot of the next-gen games for PS4/Xbox will also be available on PC. The Wii U's exclusives will always be Nintendo exclusives.

I'll be perfectly honest--I'm not really considering the Wii U pretty much because the Wii bit me in the ass last time. I remember buying the Wii so I could play the new Zelda and Mario Galaxy. And I did. And that was about it. Then there was nothing but endless amounts of shovelware titles. NOTHING BUT SHOVELWARE TITLES. After I got my fill of Mario and Zelda, I pretty much never touched the console again.

The problem I have with Nintendo is that as much as I ABSOLUTELY LOVE their exclusive titles, they don't seem to offer much beyond that.

As a current student, the chances of me getting a new PC gaming rig anytime soon is pretty slim, which is why I'm looking at the PS4/Xbox route because I still want to play these games.

I still love you, Nintendo :(

Actually the more I read into this, the more I think you guys are right. Maybe I ought to really consider a Wii U.

I've tired both the PS4 and the WiiU. (Our friend lent us his WiiU while he was away.) We had a lot if fun playing with the WiiU and the fact that with its portable screen feature, Mr. Z could play Mario Cart while I was playing a game on the PS4. However, we discovered that we couldn't play movies on the WiiU. If you're looking for a multifunction systhem with a lot of game options, I think the PS4 is the better investment. However, in terms of available titles and functions, I'd rather have a WiiU than an Xbox One. We haven't had an Xbox since the original and the only thing Mr. Z misses is Halo. Even at the times we had all the systems, or even when we had the Wii and PS2/3, we find ourselves using the Playstation the most.

I will always be a Nintendo fangirl, and having two kids that don't play realistic violent video games (including a 12 year old boy) made my console choice an easy one.

I didn't mention this because Terrik specifically said he had no interest in the Wii-U, but the only console I personally would buy is a Wii-U. It's the only console that offers me something I can't get from pc.

Though, if I could only have one, I'd still probably go with PS4.

I didn't mention this because Terrik specifically said he had no interest in the Wii-U, but the only console I personally would buy is a Wii-U. It's the only console that offers me something I can't get from pc.

Though, if I could only have one, I'd still probably go with PS4.
Ironically, after my research, I might end up going with a Wii-U. I think you guys are right...I looked at a bunch of exclusives for PS4 and Xbox and nothing really shines, but you know what nintendo will put out will be good.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm naturally still hard in the PC camp.. but if I had to buy a console, I think at this point it'd be a Wii U. Of all the console stuff I've seen, the games on Wii U appeal to me most (probably because everything the other two do is done better on PC).

Belive me, all I want is a new PC. I can't afford it and no one is willin to gift one for Christmas. They are willing to gift a game console.

Has anyone else mentioned that Hyrule Warriors is pretty much the best co-op game available ? Still playing it every day with my 7 year old.

My son kicks my ass at Smash Brothers. I feel this is fine since he's a 12 year old boy who spent two months playing Brawl in anticipation of the release, but STILL. At least he's a reliable console co-op partner, unlike my daughter.

So If I've previously added you from the 3DS, I should already have you on my Wii U list? Also, I'm probably gonna have to shelve this until Christmas, cause tradition.

The Wii U uses the Nintendo ID, which is not the same as the 3DS friend code, even if both are linked.

Yeah, listen to Dei and ignore that shit I said. I don't think I've added anyone since Mario Kart 8 released in May, hence why I probably forgot. But once you've got your Wii U number up, I'll add you.

So...

I took back the Wii U and got a PS4.

I wasn't feeling it. I can't afford a new PC and Im only being gifted a console. Since a lot of the games I want to play, like Arkham Knight, Witcher 3, etc are coming out on PS4...I had to go with the PS4. Mario Kart and Smash bros were fun, but not fun to play by myself. I needed a console system that could be played more comfortably alone. Truth be told, I'm only really interested in Zelda, and maybe when that comes out, I'll get a Wii U, but I couldnt have a Wii U as my only system and feel satisfied.

I had the exact same feeling when the Wii came out.