So... what's up with this Windows 10 thing?

Dave

Staff member
I've upgraded and now am trying to get my second monitor to work. I only have to install the Windows 10 driver so it shouldn't take too long. But right now everything is HUUUUUGE on my screen.

This worked for me

1. make sure your system is set to receive and install Windows Updates automatically
  2. delete everything in the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder
  3. run this command in an instance of cmd.exe ran as administrator: wuauclt.exe /updatenow
  4. you should be all set and your download should begin shortly.

Dave

Staff member
Found my first major blip and I don't like it.

Skyrim refuses to load. My favorite game. *sigh* I'm testing other games now.

Dave

Staff member
Ruh roh, Raggy. NONE of my Steam games are working with the default overlay. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall Steam and see if it does the trick.

Well. This is going about as badly as possible. Windows isn't recognizing anything plugged into the USB ports.[DOUBLEPOST=1438221999,1438221954][/DOUBLEPOST]Including my mouse.

Dave

Staff member
Ouchy. Just...ouchy. Apparently uninstalling the Steam client also uninstalls all of your games. All of them. Not sure about mods yet.

If I didn't love doing this I'd probably be upset right now.

I found out what the issue is. Stupid old asus program that has always been crap. It caused windows to not be able to access my USB drivers.

Ruh roh, Raggy. NONE of my Steam games are working with the default overlay. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall Steam and see if it does the trick.
What do you mean by "default overlay"? I've only tested Portal 2 so far since you posted this, but it seems fine on my end.

I upgraded my Catalyst drivers before installing Windows 10, and then again after the AMD Gaming Evolved app (a rebaged Raptr) pinged at me for new Win 10 drivers after the install.

What I don't like is that app runs plays.tv by default, which itself defaults to recording your gaming sessions. OFF.

I can't believe I don't have a serial mouse ANYWHERES in my house. I have to revert to 7, uninstall the offending program, then reinstall.

The goddamn programs uninstaller even sucks. It REQUIRES a mouse to uninstall.

Dave

Staff member
What do you mean by "default overlay"? I've only tested Portal 2 so far since you posted this, but it seems fine on my end.

I upgraded my Catalyst drivers before installing Windows 10, and then again after the AMD Gaming Evolved app (a rebaged Raptr) pinged at me for new Win 10 drivers after the install.

What I don't like is that app runs plays.tv by default, which itself defaults to recording your gaming sessions. OFF.
The regular Steam program that you downloaded. It does work if you "upgrade" to the beta of Steam. Skyrim works, but Borderlands 2 does not.

Ouchy. Just...ouchy. Apparently uninstalling the Steam client also uninstalls all of your games. All of them. Not sure about mods yet.

If I didn't love doing this I'd probably be upset right now.

There's a checkbox somewhere along the way to leave game files alone, but it's easy to miss if not outright hidden.

Yep, sounds like I'm gonna wait awhile until this all gets figured out.
The upgrade was really easy. The roll-back to Windows 7 went even easier. Couldn't update my video card driver because there was an open "found new hardware" dialog box - except that there wasn't. Restarting didn't fix it, and the resolution from the Microsoft generic video driver couldn't be set above 1024 x 780. That, combined with Microsoft resetting the default browser away from Chrome twice, gives me enough reason to wait a while and see what happens before attempting to upgrade again.

Hadn't played some of my Steam games in years, until @Dave mentioned the Windows 10 issues he had. So I missed the end of GFWL and the changeover to Steamworks.

Long story short, my Arkham Asylum and City saves and achievements were wiped out. Thanks, Dave. :p

Well, so far so good. The black start bar is gonna take some getting used to, but other than that - and an apparent slowdown in typing this out...

I'm going to try again. I don't want to blame windows for my issue after uninstalling this ASUS suite software, even 7 is running better. Why do mobo manufacturers always make such shitty software?

Well, that did the trick. I'm now typing on Windows 10 on my wireless keyboard with my wireless mouse and all USB ports are A-OK. Freakin' Asus.

Should a played em. My saves are safe on the cloud :p
Thing was, even while I wasn't playing, the games would keep updating because Steam was always running in the background. So sometime back there, the save format changed and the saves I had were no longer compatible. Even though they were still here. And the methods to "fix" them involved unknown software from unknown people. Nope.

More fun to just blame @Dave. :)

The only issue I'm having is, when accessing here from Edge (aka IEvX), I keep getting "Only Secure Content Is Displayed" at the bottom of the screen... :confused:

Decided to do a clean install of Pro on the laptop. Put most stuff back with no problems, but then hit a snag with iTunes. Kept getting an error supposedly related to a Visual Studio patch. But even after installing that patch, no dice.

Searching for Windows 10 instead of the error code found the real problem and solution. Regular iTunes installer isn't ready for Windows 10 yet, but the version for "low end video cards" does just fine.

The iTunes on the desktop didn't want to sync with my phone or update apps on the initial run. Running it once as administrator seems to have fixed that issue.

Regular iTunes installer isn't ready for Windows 10 yet, but the version for "low end video cards" does just fine.
They probably haven't coded it to tell the difference between 32/64 bit on WinX yet. Pretty sure the "low-end GPU" version is 64-bit only.

--Patrick

AARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Screen flash issue!
Right after the stupid setup screens with the "tweak" crap, my background just sits there and flashes constantly. Can't do anything except task manager or log out ..