So... what's up with this Windows 10 thing?

Upgrading is not supposed to wipe, and you should be able to do a clean install if you want.
I believe it's also supposed to shove all your programs around based on compatibility, and uninstall your antivirus for you during installation.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Previous times I've updated to a new windows OS, it has never required the formatting of the drive.
In all cases I know of, jumping a version requires a clean installation. Going from Vista to 8, XP to 7+, 98 to Vista+, etc. all require a clean install (which means a clean drive).

So, this time, presumably if you're running Windows 7 or earlier, you'll need to format your drive in order to install Windows 10.

EDIT: Some googling around on the subject seems to imply that Windows 7 may be the first exception, and can upgrade to Windows 10 directly. I don't know for certain though.

Last edited:
In all cases I know of, jumping a version requires a clean installation. Going from Vista to 8, XP to 7+, 98 to Vista+, etc. all require a clean install (which means a clean drive).

So, this time, presumably if you're running Windows 7 or earlier, you'll need to format your drive in order to install Windows 10.

EDIT: Some googling around on the subject seems to imply that Windows 7 may be the first exception, and can upgrade to Windows 10 directly. I don't know for certain though.
Pez, you're... kinda far off: Chain of fools : Upgrading through every version of Windows: That's from 1.0 up to XP through VMware. This guy kinda "Started" this weird trend
Upgrading From Windows 1.0 to Windows 8 On Actual Hardware: And that's from 1.0 to windows 8 now on what looks like from the images an Asus Eee PC.

So your statement that it requires a clean installation is just not correct. Is it BEST/safest to go clean? Probably, for a few reasons, but it's actually supported to upgrade from the beginning.
X

No windows media center and no native DVD player? Seriously? I don't really care about the lack of DVD support, but losing Media Center just seems dumb.
Why?

Based on the number of Windows machines out there virtually no one was using windows media center, heck it hadn't been updated in at least five years. The few people who did are the very definition of a vocal minority.

Pez, you're... kinda far off: Chain of fools : Upgrading through every version of Windows: That's from 1.0 up to XP through VMware. This guy kinda "Started" this weird trend
Upgrading From Windows 1.0 to Windows 8 On Actual Hardware: And that's from 1.0 to windows 8 now on what looks like from the images an Asus Eee PC.

So your statement that it requires a clean installation is just not correct. Is it BEST/safest to go clean? Probably, for a few reasons, but it's actually supported to upgrade from the beginning.
X
They didn't skip versions though. They upgraded through each one. I think what pez is referring to is upgrading without buying the versions in between.

As long as they make it easy to get my license key for 10 so I can do a clean install and not have to deal with the run-around bullshit I went through when I went straight from XP to 7, I'm good.

figmentPez

Staff member
As long as they make it easy to get my license key for 10 so I can do a clean install and not have to deal with the run-around bullshit I went through when I went straight from XP to 7, I'm good.
I don't know how they're handling the keys, but the articles I saw said you'll have to perform the upgrade first, then wipe and do the clean install.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't know how they're handling the keys, but the articles I saw said you'll have to perform the upgrade first, then wipe and do the clean install.
That's what I've read as well. You have to do the "upgrade" install first, then it will let you do a clean install on the same device "any time."

My windows 7 desktop works fine for everything I do and I actually don't mind windows 8.1 on my surface pro (might be the interface is just well-suited to a touch screen). Really not seeing a point to upgrading until PC arcitecture changes to something other than 64-bit. At least until my next computer build, which may not be too far away since I've had my current for about 4 or 5 years now. Is it at all likely for software developers to stop making their programs compatible with Win7 in the near future?

Is it at all likely for software developers to stop making their programs compatible with Win7 in the near future?
Possibly? Official end-of-support date for Win7 was in January of this year. Microsoft is now only providing security updates, nothing else, until the end of "extended support" which will be in another four and a half years. That's the point where Microsoft officially abandons the OS unless you have one of those extremely pricey extended extended support contracts. Developers will be watching to see what Microsoft does and what users do before completely abandoning any OS, but developing for obsolete OSes gets harder and harder as the developer tools and environments get newer.

--Patrick

Now that my pc is dead, I've been using our older than our daughter laptop which has Windows 10 installed. I miss the hot corners when I deal with metro apps

Dave

Staff member
I say do it. You automatically download it and you don't HAVE to install it. But if you wait too long then you won't get it for free.

I haven't heard or experienced anything that would stop me from going to 10 right away.

There will of course always be the chance that a program or driver may need to be reinstalled, but nothing horrible. At least from what I've seen and heard.

If you have an eligible PC for the Win 10 upgrade, I think I saw it'll be a free upgrade for a year, so you don't have to go to it right away if you do not want to.

I plan on going to it on my home PC as soon as I can - I work in IT support for our remote users so that'll be the only way I can get Win 10 access for a while (corp is on Win 7 without an EA for desktop OS).

I've tried it out in a VM and that seems fine. I'll try it out on my PC in my living room for running steam streaming to, and a few light things, and take my desktop to it within a week or two if all seems fine.

Really, it's a good opportunity to do a good backup to an external drive. New OS versions is a good reminder to actually DO that every so often!

So I've never done a drive wipe/format in order to install a new version of Windows. From what I'm hearing, I won't have to worry here? That I can just install it and it'll keep everything I currently have on my drive(s)?

GasBandit

Staff member
So I've never done a drive wipe/format in order to install a new version of Windows. From what I'm hearing, I won't have to worry here? That I can just install it and it'll keep everything I currently have on my drive(s)?
From what I've read, you have the option to do it either way - either "install over-top" or "wipe and install."

Took about an hour to install on my 5-year old i3 laptop. No hiccups on this install that I've seen so far.

(ETA: *hic* that "express settings"? wipes out your preferred default applications in favor of the new M$ apps.)

Last edited:
(ETA: *hic* that "express settings"? wipes out your preferred default applications in favor of the new M$ apps.)
And why is that a surprise? I'm actually expecting and WANTING that, to at least give their apps a shot, before defaulting back to my normal applications again. But I'll at least give the new ones a fair shake.

And why is that a surprise? I'm actually expecting and WANTING that, to at least give their apps a shot, before defaulting back to my normal applications again. But I'll at least give the new ones a fair shake.
I didn't say it was a surprise. just a hiccup to my personal experience, and a caution to those who haven't gotten that far yet.

A clean install on the laptop is overdue. Hell, I've never done one on the 7 Ultimate drive (I'd swap out with a different HD for running linux. No dual boots.).

Express settings in the past have just been about update and security settings. So, it can be a bit of a surprise to a lot of people. Resetting all of those defaults can be a pain in the button.

Main desktop install complete. And an actual hiccup. Would not install from Windows Update. Had to download the media creation tool and run to upgrade "this PC". Everything proceeded normally from that point.

Dave

Staff member
Well, looks like I'll be trying to upgrade tonight. I'll back up my music and movies but that's about it. I don't have anything else I can't get back, although reinstalling all my Steam games would be a pain in the butt.

I'm doing the install first on the wife's laptop running 8.1. Gonna wait on my computer until this weekend when I have more time; it's already downloaded according to the W10 thingy.

We just upgraded Cranky's main computer (Built Mar2007*) from XP to Win8.1 yesterday. We were (well, I was) worried it might be too old to handle Win8.x but everything seems to be coming along nicely. We'll save WinX for the new computer we're going to build him next month once the CPU I have planned for it is finally released.

--Patrick
MLB: DFI CFX3200-M2/G
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
GPU: Radeon HD 6950
HDD: 1.0TB SATA Hitachi (ATA mode)
RAM: 3GB crappy DDR2 RAM (needs replacement, keeps not getting recognized)

We have a newer 5600+ CPU we're going to be installing, and we're going to be replacing the RAM with either 4GB (2x2) or 8GB (4x2) soon, we might replace the 1TB HDD also with a SATA SSD or SSHD if it looks like we can get one for a deal AND if I can keep him from reinstalling everything on the old HDD long enough, but that's not a priority.

Last edited:
Found an actual actual hiccup. Can't get anything to install from the Store. But the error code is for network congestion. So if I just wait, it should work itself out.