Something to make your bad day better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
:\ Sorry I posted something that made you cry.

Just to clarify... if anyone's wondering... I did not post that video because I thought it was funny. It was just a 'put your problems into perspective' thing.
Don't worry, we know you wouldn't do that Cajun ^^

I am sorry if I am thinking too much, I just don't think we should cultivate apreciation to when humans suffer physical harm. I actually found funny the ones without people injured, thoughed now I am considering the property damaged and how many the involde might have suffered emonitonally, specially now that the pictures are on-line, the worst is the one with several cars in the "boat" at a 45º, at first I almost lol'ed because it is such a weird picture, but I then thoughed in how much the involved must have lost and specially the company owning the "boat", I bet the lawsuit made many get fired, even the ones who din't are actually to blame, and there is the indirect harm caused....

...see what I say about thinking too much about it?
I agree -- I was hoping for pictures more in the "silly" vein.

now I admit, these two made me giggle (at first I thought the cactus person was covered in tribbles):

however, this one made me shudder:

that's not entertaining, that's horrifying. however, it's clear that perspective is important -- if that were to happen within 50 miles of me, I have a good chance of being the person called out to the scene to do one of three very unpleasant things: find a dead horse; euthanize a horse with unimaginably terrible injuries; or attempt to extricate a live, terrified, thousand-pound animal from a metal and glass box and then treat it's unimaginably terrible injuries. and it's inconceivable that the driver would be uninjured, or that any passengers in the car would have escaped harm. I guess it's similar to the boat pictures -- to the boat owner, all they can see in the picture is the loss of property.

I suppose it's somewhat of a double standard to laugh at some of these pictures and condemn others, but I think that it's very possible that in the cactus picture, for example, after recovering from the initial event (assuming that it wasn't too serious), the person could look at that picture and laugh about it later. but with some of the other pictures, I can't imagine anyone involved ever being able to look at them after the fact and derive any amusement from them. so yeah, many people in the picture of the horse and the car very likely had a much worse day than you did: the driver and passengers of the car, the police and rescue officials on the scene of the accident, the driver of the horse trailer, the owner of the horse, the veterinarian called out to the scene, the cleanup crew who had to deal with the aftermath, and the horse. but really, does knowing that so many people had a terrible day make yours any better?

...or maybe vets just naturally become grumpy when shown pictures of animals in terrible situations.

[relurk!]

that's not entertaining, that's horrifying. however, it's clear that perspective is important -- if that were to happen within 50 miles of me, I have a good chance of being the person called out to the scene to do one of three very unpleasant things: find a dead horse; euthanize a horse with unimaginably terrible injuries; or attempt to extricate a live, terrified, thousand-pound animal from a metal and glass box and then treat it's unimaginably terrible injuries. and it's inconceivable that the driver would be uninjured, or that any passengers in the car would have escaped harm. I guess it's similar to the boat pictures -- to the boat owner, all they can see in the picture is the loss of property.

I suppose it's somewhat of a double standard to laugh at some of these pictures and condemn others, but I think that it's very possible that in the cactus picture, for example, after recovering from the initial event (assuming that it wasn't too serious), the person could look at that picture and laugh about it later. but with some of the other pictures, I can't imagine anyone involved ever being able to look at them after the fact and derive any amusement from them. so yeah, many people in the picture of the horse and the car very likely had a much worse day than you did: the driver and passengers of the car, the police and rescue officials on the scene of the accident, the driver of the horse trailer, the owner of the horse, the veterinarian called out to the scene, the cleanup crew who had to deal with the aftermath, and the horse. but really, does knowing that so many people had a terrible day make yours any better?

...or maybe vets just naturally become grumpy when shown pictures of animals in terrible situations.

[relurk!]
I think we all possess the ability to laugh at things that don't hit too close to home to us. As a vet you have made a living and found a passion in helping animals. For you the picture of a most likely deceased horse gives you no pleasure. For me I find it difficult to look past just the picture. For me I see a very odd circumstance and juxtaposition of elements that is funny in a "Wow. How the hell did THAT happen?" sort of way, but only because I have no emotional connection to what has transpired and choose not to consider the reality of the situation.

Green_Lantern

Staff member

[relurk!]
I think we all possess the ability to laugh at things that don't hit too close to home to us. As a vet you have made a living and found a passion in helping animals. For you the picture of a most likely deceased horse gives you no pleasure. For me I find it difficult to look past just the picture. For me I see a very odd circumstance and juxtaposition of elements that is funny in a "Wow. How the hell did THAT happen?" sort of way, but only because I have no emotional connection to what has transpired and choose not to consider the reality of the situation.[/QUOTE]

I understand that is funny because it is a "cartoony" situation, but like I said before, I then start to think about all the people involved that suffered because of the event and is hard to be amused by all that pain. =P

C

Chazwozel

I am sorry if I am thinking too much, I just don't think we should cultivate apreciation to when humans suffer physical harm. I actually found funny the ones without people injured, thoughed now I am considering the property damaged and how many the involde might have suffered emonitonally, specially now that the pictures are on-line, the worst is the one with several cars in the "boat" at a 45º, at first I almost lol'ed because it is such a weird picture, but I then thoughed in how much the involved must have lost and specially the company owning the "boat", I bet the lawsuit made many get fired, even the ones who din't are actually to blame, and there is the indirect harm caused....

...see what I say about thinking too much about it?
I agree -- I was hoping for pictures more in the "silly" vein.

now I admit, these two made me giggle (at first I thought the cactus person was covered in tribbles):

however, this one made me shudder:

[relurk!][/QUOTE]

It's still pretty damn funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.