[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

So i saw DUNE p2, and i got to say, the lack of the Spacing Guild during the ending really took something out of it. The Chani stuff only deviated in any way that matters (*sure, it was a bit heavy handed, but it was in keeping with the themes*) at the very end, but taking out the Guild kind of removes half the point of teh book.

Does anyone know if they got any funding from any oil interests ?

No wonder Lucasfilm passed on this for Star Wars, it's just shittier, edgier Star Wars.
Frankly, i didn't even feel it was a shittier SW, it was more like a shittier, edgier version of those late 70's, early 80's SW-clones.

Last edited:
Argylle

It's a movie filled with actors that I really like but sadly the movie just didn't pay off for me.

I feel like the Kingsman formula has had diminishing returns for me on each additional film he has made in that style.
The trailers look great but movies don't quite meet expectations.

Kung Fu Panda 4
As far as movies go it’s not a terrible film. As far as Kung Fu Panda movies go it’s really put a stain on the franchise. Especially if this is the final film of the franchise, then it just finished in a whimper.

the first thing notable is just how little budget they worked with here compared to the other films. The animation feels like a drop in quality but it’s not a huge distraction, so I’ll give them that. It’s clear though that the majority of the budget didn’t have to worry about casting as right in the first ten minutes of the film we get the exposition that the Furious Five are “away on a mission” and are absent pretty much the entire film except for the quick two minutes they return at the end and “coincidently” do not speak. Jack Black and a very not into it Dustin Hoffman are here at least. Ian McShane is back as Tai Lung as they establish that the new villain is stealing Kung Fu from previous villains (which if I’m not mistaken is basically just the plot of the third movie), which is made even more frustrating because they don’t bother to bring back Gary Oldman and JK Simmons to voice their respective villains despite their (now silent) presence in the film. It was like the makings of a huge epic final chapter where the budget got in the way and they ended up just making a full length episode of the TV show instead.

The new villain is fine but she suffers from the poor script. I kind of wish she was the one they used for the third film instead of General Kai, since their plots are basically the same but she’s a far more interesting character.

it was disappointing. There isn’t much else to say about it except that this movie series deserved better.

Last edited:
Timecrimes (2007)

Watched this for the first time this afternoon. Always heard great things about and...meh? I didn't particularly care for it. It felt like a neo-noir, simplified version of Primer.

And holy shit, if you're a woman character in this movie, prepare to be treated like shit. It's incredibly objectifying towards the two women in this, whose seemingly only purpose is to suffer. The one that suffers the most doesn't even get a name.

I honestly don't understand why people liked this one so much.

It's also possible my experience was soured by watching this on Tubi. The multiple commercial breaks, often at the worst times, really broke my immersion.

Trolls: Band Togther

Its a fun little Trolls movie, nothing extraordinary, but definitely still enjoyable, and...DEFINITELY not Dreamworks worst 2023 release(*COUGH* Ruby Gillman *COUGH*).

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire
I grew up watching the original film nearly once a week for a full year. I’d use my marble track construction sets to make a poor man’s proton thrower toy and pretend I was in the film too. I was also addicted to the series and rarely missed an episode. It was the best thing on TV at the time in my opinion.
So I’m delighted to say that Frozen Empire feels right at home with an episode of The Real Ghostbusters. While I enjoyed Afterlife it was missing something for me which was an exploration of a supernaturally rich world. Afterlife just brought back an old enemy and gave the impression that ghosts only exist when Gozer is involved. But Frozen Empire opens the world up again to new possibilities. The baddie in this one would fit right in with spectral alumni from the cartoon like Samhein and The Boogie Man.
Every character feels properly used here. There were quite a few to follow but it didn’t detract from my enjoyment at all. Even Bill Murray’s cameo feels well placed and plot perfect.
I highly recommend this one.

DreamWorks Turbo

Rocky but if he was a snail , and instead of boxing it was NASCAR, weirdly pretty good!
Close, Indy car. But your review is otherwise on point. I don't think it's one of DreamWorks better films, but it's not their worst.

I keep forgetting this movie exists until my son finds it on Netflix. Also, it's weird to hear Ryan Reynolds NOT trying to sound all Ryan Reynolds-y.