[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

So, you'd suggest I might have to go see it after all? :p
No one has to do anything. I know a friend who'd love it, but she won't see it because she thinks the guy she's going to dump would like it, because ... logic?

But in seeing it multiple times, it occurs to me so many of the things it could've done but doesn't waste attention with. No scene of our heroes captured, no menacing villain monologue, no quipping, no corny one-liners, no filler action, and on and on. The bottom of the second act is simultaneously mid-climax. A "the car is stuck" scene occurs, where it should be time for the characters to bicker, then throw in some character development, and then something one says triggers an idea for fixing the situation--nope, none of that shit. It's a suspense scene, and the characters approach the situation like human beings trying to survive.

And that's all just in comparing it to other movies, completely ignoring everything it brings on its own merits. There's so much to digest visually of the world, characters, details. And that's without getting into how engaging the action is.

Wife and I are putting ourselves on a forced hiatus from watching it again. I told her if it's still playing anywhere in mid-July and we still feel like seeing it again, we can, but right now we're going to try and wait for the Blu-Ray in August.[DOUBLEPOST=1435463037,1435462969][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm curious to see what he does with Alien.
Weyland-Yutani now was founded in South Africa.

I wish Mad Max didn't come out at the same time as summer vacation, because school is my best babysitter. [emoji14]

Hot damn Kingsman is a great action movie. I think Matthew Vaughn really found his niche in terms of style for the action scenes, and there are a good number of stand-out fights and other things.

The church fight, the bar fight, and that head exploding scene are all fantastic.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hot damn Kingsman is a great action movie. I think Matthew Vaughn really found his niche in terms of style for the action scenes, and there are a good number of stand-out fights and other things.

The church fight, the bar fight, and that head exploding scene are all fantastic.
Plus, who among us hasn't dreamt in our deepest of hearts to
buttfuck a swedish princess?

So I was going to make a joke about Sharlto Copley (the lead in District 9, villain in Elysium, voice/mocap of Chappie) playing a Xenomorph, but apparently it's already a rumor.[DOUBLEPOST=1435465923,1435465846][/DOUBLEPOST]
Plus, who among us hasn't dreamt in our deepest of hearts to
buttfuck a swedish princess?
I initially thought that came out of left field, then I remembered the movie's based on a Mark Millar comic.

I wish Mad Max didn't come out at the same time as summer vacation, because school is my best babysitter. [emoji14]
You could just be like the assholes at the 3D screening we went to Wednesday and take the kiddies along. :facepalm: Some people ...

Rumor has it the DVD will be out in mid-August. Thankfully Amazon has added an option that does not include the 3D Blu-Ray, which takes down the package price by $10.

Dammit, my parents gave me movie gift cards for Christmas and I had budgeted them for the movies we'd see this year. I did not budget according to Mad Max, could not have anticipated loving a movie this much. Each viewing has been "okay, which movie do we cross off the list?" So far Terminator Genisys, Ant-Man, and my wife's ticket for Jurassic World.[DOUBLEPOST=1435496579,1435496472][/DOUBLEPOST]
Dammit, I still need to see John Wick. Some people have said it was the best action movie of that year, possibly in a number of years.
I don't even know about the action; I kind of just want to see it based on the premise.

No one has to do anything. I know a friend who'd love it, but she won't see it because she thinks the guy she's going to dump would like it, because ... logic?

But in seeing it multiple times, it occurs to me so many of the things it could've done but doesn't waste attention with. No scene of our heroes captured, no menacing villain monologue, no quipping, no corny one-liners, no filler action, and on and on. The bottom of the second act is simultaneously mid-climax. A "the car is stuck" scene occurs, where it should be time for the characters to bicker, then throw in some character development, and then something one says triggers an idea for fixing the situation--nope, none of that shit. It's a suspense scene, and the characters approach the situation like human beings trying to survive.

And that's all just in comparing it to other movies, completely ignoring everything it brings on its own merits. There's so much to digest visually of the world, characters, details. And that's without getting into how engaging the action is.

Wife and I are putting ourselves on a forced hiatus from watching it again. I told her if it's still playing anywhere in mid-July and we still feel like seeing it again, we can, but right now we're going to try and wait for the Blu-Ray in August.[DOUBLEPOST=1435463037,1435462969][/DOUBLEPOST]

No actual plot, no character development, no dialogue... I'm not saying that Mad Max wasn't a fun movie, but it suffers from a lack of actually giving a shit about what's going on besides cool explosions.

GasBandit

Staff member
No actual plot, no character development, no dialogue... I'm not saying that Mad Max wasn't a fun movie, but it suffers from a lack of actually giving a shit about what's going on besides cool explosions.
What the heck are you talking about? There's plenty of plot, and a huge load of development! There was little dialogue on purpose. I mean, did Quest for Fire need dialog?

It's on the viewer whether they give a shit about what's going on besides cool explosions, because this is a rich, deep movie that is going to appear empty to some people because it focuses on the storytelling principle of "show, don't tell." For the people who aren't into the details, there is the surface quality of it being a great action movie with lots of visual stuff, but among those visuals is a wealth of details telling the story of this world and about these people.

I'm not saying anyone should go to the theater just to pay attention. We've gone so many times because we enjoy the atmosphere and experience of the movie. It feels less like sitting through a movie each time and more akin to re-listening to a song I enjoy, which is a really strange quality to find in a film. But that's a subjective, personal thing.

What the heck are you talking about? There's plenty of plot, and a huge load of development! There was little dialogue on purpose. I mean, did Quest for Fire need dialog?
Exactly. There's little dialogue, the demand is put on the actors and visuals to convey what is going on with them, and not a line is wasted. I'd rather see Tom Hardy fidgeting like he does instead of complaining about the muzzle on his head. I'd rather realize the point where Furiosa understands Max isn't going to hurt them because of the looks on Charlize Theron's face; confused when he goes to check the fuel pod, and then reassuring when he's ducked in the hold, instead of them having needless conversations about "why are you doing this?" and then "oh, I see now that you're just scared and want to escape, the same as us, so I will not be threatened with you putting a gun on the woman I'm trying to protect because I now know you're not going to hurt her."

Hell, it wasn't until fourth viewing that I noticed two of the wives (Cheedo and the Dag) were probably closer than Joe ever realized. They cling to each other in most scenes, and then in the background during the blue section of the movie when Max is going off to confront the Bullet Farmer, you see them kiss behind Furiosa. They never say anything about this. George Miller never felt there was a need to make the movie obvious and I appreciate that.

At the risk of crashing the forum anew, let's try this again:

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002)
This film did actually contain a pretty good 20-30 minute movie, but it suffered greatly from being buried in 1hr of highly anachronistic "What kind of movie is this really?" filler.
I mean, it starts out as a buddy cop movie, then it segues into "Beverly Hills: Coruscant," briefly becomes "Jedi Baretta," and then heads deep into afternoon soap opera territory. I realize that the creative team behind the movie probably wanted to make the movie more accessible to younger folks rather than just the 35ish yr-olds who cut their teeth on the older trilogy, but come on! You have an entire universe absolutely bursting with lore, and yet Our Heroes have to spend a scene where they sit and space pack their space suitcase in time to catch the space train so they can have a space romance galavanting through the space meadows of space Italy. And it's a good thing she packs that suitcase, because her outfit changes in just about every scene. Also, every scene with C3P0 in it is wasted. All of them. I went into this movie thinking that Menace was the weakest movie of the franchise, but Clones took that crown from Menace, beat Menace over the head with it, and then put that crown on and took selfies with the unconscious body to post on Facebook.

--Patrick

Yeah I think Episode II contains some of the most ham-fisted romantic dialogue I've ever heard.

Anakin: Don't be afraid.
Padme: I'm not afraid to die. I've been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life.
Anakin: What are you talking about?
Padme: I love you.
Anakin: You love me? I thought we had decided not to fall in love. That we'd be forced to live a lie and that it would destroy our lives.
Padme: I think our lives are about to be destroyed anyway. I truly... deeply... love you and before we die I want you to know.

At the risk of crashing the forum anew, let's try this again:

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002)
This film did actually contain a pretty good 20-30 minute movie, but it suffered greatly from being buried in 1hr of highly anachronistic "What kind of movie is this really?" filler.
I mean, it starts out as a buddy cop movie, then it segues into "Beverly Hills: Coruscant," briefly becomes "Jedi Baretta," and then heads deep into afternoon soap opera territory. I realize that the creative team behind the movie probably wanted to make the movie more accessible to younger folks rather than just the 35ish yr-olds who cut their teeth on the older trilogy, but come on! You have an entire universe absolutely bursting with lore, and yet Our Heroes have to spend a scene where they sit and space pack their space suitcase in time to catch the space train so they can have a space romance galavanting through the space meadows of space Italy. And it's a good thing she packs that suitcase, because her outfit changes in just about every scene. Also, every scene with C3P0 in it is wasted. All of them. I went into this movie thinking that Menace was the weakest movie of the franchise, but Clones took that crown from Menace, beat Menace over the head with it, and then put that crown on and took selfies with the unconscious body to post on Facebook.

--Patrick
Sounds about right. There were a bunch of good/fun moments. As a whole the movie was horrible, in large part because of the romance subplot. Nobody who had anything to do with that movie had any idea how love actually works.
The third movie is better, though it's far from any sort of award winning level.

I went into this movie thinking that Menace was the weakest movie of the franchise, but Clones took that crown from Menace, beat Menace over the head with it, and then put that crown on and took selfies with the unconscious body to post on Facebook.
That was what happened to me. Avoided for a while for no particular reason, it came on TV one night, and decided to just watch it. It deserves some kind of recognition for outdoing Menace on that front.

I give it 3 months before people turn on Mad Max. Mark my words.
What are you expecting to happen in that time, that Tom Hardy gets pulled over by the police and starts blaming Jewish people for everything?

But just in case--September 28th, 2015, marked as Mad Max Halforums Hate Day, hosted by Bowielee, with musical guests Cajungal and BananaHands, featuring the comedic talents of Dave*.

*audience attendance for this segment is optional

What are you expecting to happen in that time, that Tom Hardy gets pulled over by the police and starts blaming Jewish people for everything?
No. It's more like how, when you have something that tons of people are hailing as great, you will at some point have a backlash of people who will say that it is crap. That's what he is expecting will happen.

No. It's more like how, when you have something that tons of people are hailing as great, you will at some point have a backlash of people who will say that it is crap. That's what he is expecting will happen.
That's one group of people disagreeing with another group of people, not one group turning against itself.

In three months, Jurassic World will be #1 on the AFI list of the 100 greatest movies ever made. Mark my words.

But this already happened with the Men's Rights movement. They wanted to boycott the movie because of some stupid reason or another.

Sounds about right. There were a bunch of good/fun moments. As a whole the movie was horrible, in large part because of the romance subplot. Nobody who had anything to do with that movie had any idea how love actually works.
The third movie is better, though it's far from any sort of award winning level.
Pure Lucas dialog writing. He doesn't understand the interaction between people that actually care for each other. The Han/Leia stuff in Empire was somebody else, and it wasn't written that way. Lucas really sucks at dialog.

But this already happened with the Men's Rights movement. They wanted to boycott the movie because of some stupid reason or another.
Because the trailer has Furiosa saying "do what I say" and the meninist morons went "no one tells Mad Max what to do," that the trailer was giving explosions to lure men into a feminist movie. Which is funny in so many ways because

1. Furiosa was actually ordering the wives (not that she doesn't tell Max what to do a couple times).
2. From what I understand not having seen the other movies, Max Rockatansky isn't exactly the bastion of doing his own story, but more the subject of other people's stories.
3. They were right, it is a feminist film.
4. Implying feminism is bad because they're idiots and don't deserve to see a good movie.

I watched a documentary (Maidentrip) about a 14 year old girl that sailed around the world "alone". It was interesting, but since she is a teenager she is a bit melodramatic about life, but there was surprisingly very little crying. Also, I have serious doubts she did this alone, hence my quotes.

GasBandit

Staff member
I watched a documentary (Maidentrip) about a 14 year old girl that sailed around the world "alone". It was interesting, but since she is a teenager she is a bit melodramatic about life, but there was surprisingly very little crying. Also, I have serious doubts she did this alone, hence my quotes.
Well, it stands to reason she had a documentary film crew with her, am I right?

Well, it stands to reason she had a documentary film crew with her, am I right?
There was a disclaimer that she filmed it all herself. The boat was outfitted for solo travel and she's been sailing since she was born, so maybe she did. The trip was halted a number of times where she flew back home. That wasn't shown in the film which misleads the audience that she did it all in one continuous trip.

I found myself envying the freedom of such a trip though.