[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

As much as I liked the movie, the product placement was incredibly blatant. My favorite was when Claire (Bryce Dallas) was driving back to the command center for reasons I will remain unnamed due to spoilers, and the camera decided to sweep forward right to the Mercedes logo and then up and around to the side of the car like it was a car commercial. I rolled my eyes at that one.
Maybe it's because I'm not into cars, I just didn't notice. I'd say I would pay attention next time I watch the movie, but that's not going to happen.

You know, taking a second look at that gif, it looks like they took a still shot of Chris Pratt and animated it. His body seems to gently bob independently from his hands.

There's a fun fan theory buzzing around that Chris Pratt's character was the kid that Alan Grant scared at the dig site in the first Jurassic Park, which sparked his interest in raptors.

I got back from seeing Jurassic World, and you can count me among the people who enjoyed it. There are definitely problems (like the sheer number of issues that could have been solved if Jurassic World didn't have shitty cellular/radio reception), but I enjoyed how it actually made use of the ideas presented in Jurassic Park and expanded on them, from the development of genetic manipulation to showcasing what a dinosaur-based theme park like Jurassic World would be like. All in all, it's the best of the Jurassic Park sequels, though the first film is still superior.

Also, let us not forget the unsung hero of Jurassic World.

Nope, others have noticed Margaritas Man during the chaos of the moment.

Fun fact: the guy snatching up those margaritas is Jimmy Buffett.
The funny thing is, when I saw that part, I thought that it looked like him, but with the Margaritaville in the background, it was just a funny coincidence. "Save the drinks, Jimmy! The pteranodons ain't nibblin' on sponge cake!"

I think Margarita Man was well-noticed; most of my theater laughed when he scuttled away with his drinks.

I thought it was funny that the movie at least showed how difficult a time pterasaurs would have if they actually tried to eat humans. Their mouths just aren't shaped for it, and it's obvious in Jurassic World by how awkwardly they snap at the humans.

Around my area, I've been telling people I hated the movie, but that they should see it if they're interested because a lot of others liked it, and the reaction has been "well, if you hated it, then I'm not going to bother." So either my movie opinion is well-respected or they think my standards are so low that anything under them isn't worth seeing. :p

I think Margarita Man was well-noticed; most of my theater laughed when he scuttled away with his drinks.

I thought it was funny that the movie at least showed how difficult a time pterasaurs would have if they actually tried to eat humans. Their mouths just aren't shaped for it, and it's obvious in Jurassic World by how awkwardly they snap at the humans.

Around my area, I've been telling people I hated the movie, but that they should see it if they're interested because a lot of others liked it, and the reaction has been "well, if you hated it, then I'm not going to bother." So either my movie opinion is well-respected or they think my standards are so low that anything under them isn't worth seeing. :p
Every person I know who's seen the movie disagrees with you completely.

Haven't seen Jurassic World yet. I'm not expecting anything on par with the first one. Not with that premise. But, I am expecting Chris Pratt vs Dinosaurs and by all accounts the movie delivers in that regard. I might see it eventually.

What I DID watch recently, is The Grand Budapest Hotel
I don't really know what I expected, but it wasn't what I got. That's Wes Anderson though, and what I did get was basically Wes Anderson at perhaps his most Wes Andersoniest. Great watch. I need to see it again. The aspect ratio switch was a bit distracting for me though, although I get why it was there, it was strange to watch a modern movie in 4:3 standard.

Haven't seen Jurassic World yet. I'm not expecting anything on par with the first one. Not with that premise. But, I am expecting Chris Pratt vs Dinosaurs and by all accounts the movie delivers in that regard. I might see it eventually.

What I DID watch recently, is The Grand Budapest Hotel
I don't really know what I expected, but it wasn't what I got. That's Wes Anderson though, and what I did get was basically Wes Anderson at perhaps his most Wes Andersoniest. Great watch. I need to see it again. The aspect ratio switch was a bit distracting for me though, although I get why it was there, it was strange to watch a modern movie in 4:3 standard.
I thought that was a great framing device.

Saw Mad Max: Fury Road ...... holy shit! Did George Miller school all the other summer action movies or what? That was hands downs the best action flick I have seen in a long time.

I thought that was a great framing device.
Oh, like I said, I get why it was used. In hindsight. But while watching it, I didn't even notice the first aspect ratio change, and so when it switched to 4:3 I found myself constantly looking at the edges of the frame to see when it would switch back. Because I missed that first jump I didn't associate the aspect ratio change with the jump in time period.

Saw Mad Max: Fury Road ...... holy shit! Did George Miller school all the other summer action movies or what? That was hands downs the best action flick I have seen in a long time.
It actually makes me mad that that piece of shit Jurassic World made more in a weekend than Fury Road will in it's entire run.

It actually makes me mad that that piece of shit Jurassic World made more in a weekend than Fury Road will in it's entire run.
But they're in totally different worlds of movie type. Fury Road was never going to make as much money as a Transformers, Avengers, X-Men, etc. It's on a more comparable level to smaller action films (I don't have examples off the top of my head though), not giant spectacle action movies.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mad Max Fury Road, so much that I did this:

There are no other movie posters in our apartment. We're going to see it a third time after we see Inside Out.

But all that said and done, it was never going to conquer that other kind of movie financially. In Cinema Snob's midnight screening, he even said, "This movie's so good, it probably won't do very well." It's done well enough; it earned back its budget and its advertising, so whatever it makes going forward it straight profit, and it should do well on DVD/Blu-Ray.

But they're in totally different worlds of movie type. Fury Road was never going to make as much money as a Transformers, Avengers, X-Men, etc. It's on a more comparable level to smaller action films (I don't have examples off the top of my head though), not giant spectacle action movies.
John Wick comes to mind, as does Edge of Tomorrow (while still a big movie, it's not anywhere on the scale as Transformers, Avengers, etc), The Equalizer, Fury, or Non-Stop, just to use 2014 examples.

And honestly, I'd much rather have John Wick and Edge of Tomorrow on DVD than any of the Transformers sequels.

John Wick comes to mind, as does Edge of Tomorrow (while still a big movie, it's not anywhere on the scale as Transformers, Avengers, etc), The Equalizer, Fury, or Non-Stop, just to use 2014 examples.

And honestly, I'd much rather have John Wick and Edge of Tomorrow on DVD than any of the Transformers sequels.
I still need to see both of those.

I didn't hate Jurassic World. It definitely has flaws, and it shows the hallmarks of having far too many rewrites over the course of its developmental hell. But the dinosaurs were spectacular, and the nods to the earlier movies were fun to spot. Flawed movie, but fun overall.

Tales from the Dark Side: The Movie: I kind of liked this and it was fun seeing baby Steve Buscemi and baby Julianne Moore. It was nice seeing practical effects, as always. That said, aside from the wrap-around story, I thought each of these probably worked better written than performed. But that could just be a product of the times.

Inside Out isn't happening this weekend and I'm trying to see a couple more movies before Mad Max: Fury Road viewing #3. Don't want it to feel like I just saw it, and since I did, this is the only way I can think to pad out my brain.

Inside Out

WATCH IT! Is it the best Pixar film? Arguably not. Is it still amazing emotion filled romp that I'd I had the time would rewatch in 3D? HELL YES!

They've done a few middling ones outside of Cars. A Bug's Life comes to mind immediately.
Their second movie from 17 years ago :p. I'm not saying all their new stuff is good, but most of it's been well-received. That's all Rotten Tomatoes can really measure, because the percentage is not a grade, it's calculating based on how many people liked it.

Aussie and I finally got out to see Mad Max:Fury Road last week. I liked it a lot. I didn't love it like I thought I would. I thought there would be more to it. I mean it was action-packed, but kind of boring. I've seen all of the movies in the franchise starting with Mad Max when I was about 10 years old. I had expectations that it would some how tie into the older movies, but it never quite did. It wasn't exactly a reboot either. Is this some middle tale where Max isn't old yet? It didn't feel like the same Max. Not that I expected Mel Gibson to reprise the role, but the character was weirdly different and yet the same. I left not quite knowing what to make of the movie exactly. I don't regret seeing it in the theatre. I'll probably get it on Blu Ray when it comes out and watch it again.

On another note, it amuses me that Nux was the kid from About A Boy.

Aussie and I finally got out to see Mad Max:Fury Road last week. I liked it a lot. I didn't love it like I thought I would. I thought there would be more to it. I mean it was action-packed, but kind of boring. I've seen all of the movies in the franchise starting with Mad Max when I was about 10 years old. I had expectations that it would some how tie into the older movies, but it never quite did. It wasn't exactly a reboot either. Is this some middle tale where Max isn't old yet? It didn't feel like the same Max. Not that I expected Mel Gibson to reprise the role, but the character was weirdly different and yet the same. I left not quite knowing what to make of the movie exactly. I don't regret seeing it in the theatre. I'll probably get it on Blu Ray when it comes out and watch it again.

On another note, it amuses me that Nux was the kid from About A Boy.
According to George Miller, they're all post-apocalypse legends of a man called Mad Max. It may not even be the same man, but all these stories are attributed to him.