[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I can dislike or even hate what a person does without automatically impleading that person into the dislike/hate. For instance, my father smoked for 40+ years until he had a heart scare (and then quit cold turkey the next day, making my stepmother soooo jealous). He had a "disgusting habit," but it did not at all diminish my genuine love for the man.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Sorry late to the party. I was out earning this:

2015-06-05 21.58.06.jpg

Second post has been removed. I did let the one stay that was in context with the movie, however.

GasBandit

Staff member
And, incidentally, I take, what should be unsurprisingly, a pretty libertarian standpoint vis a vis my admin stuff. I'm not the hissyfit police. I'm more of a "try to fix the broke thing" type guy.

But speaking as a not-red-name, I have a pretty hard time taking seriously complaints about a direct quotation from the movie. Getting one's SJW panties in a twist over that was just asking to get needled. Honestly, if Jay hadn't done it, and I WASN'T an admin, I might have done it myself, just to watch the butthurt meltdown.

Reactions: Jay
I've been REALLY bored this evening and you know what I did? Went through each page of this thread from the beginning. Skimming it. It made me miss some members that aren't around much anymore like Gilgamesh and Shego.

Also, I never realized how many times I kept bringing up Cars 2 and how I didn't mind it.

I've been REALLY bored this evening and you know what I did? Went through each page of this thread from the beginning. Skimming it. It made me miss some members that aren't around much anymore like Gilgamesh and Shego.

Also, I never realized how many times I kept bringing up Cars 2 and how I didn't mind it.
I just realized, the last several posts must have looked really strange for you.

Some transatlantic flying so finally managed to catch up on some movies.

Kingsman: neat. More please!
Big Hero 6: worth the watch, pretty nice.
Ocean's 11: hadn't gotten around to seeing it, obviously formulaic (by now) but well done.
Paddington: funny and heartwarming.
Cowboys vs Aliens: I expected Wild Wild West like over the top humor. This movie takes the premise entirely serious? What? Olivia Wilde's still hot but can't act and Daniel Craig is still one of my favorite actors. Oh well.
This is Where I Leave You: utterly forgettable. Not bad in its genre, but oh so bland. Some funny moments, mind you.

Josie and the Pussycats. Best movie ever.
I've actually heard a lot of recent praise for that movie with the horrible reveal trailer for Jem and the Holograms. It makes me wonder if I should go back and watch it again. Maybe there was some sort of irony or commentary layer I completely missed because I remember hating it when it came out.

I've actually heard a lot of recent praise for that movie with the horrible reveal trailer for Jem and the Holograms. It makes me wonder if I should go back and watch it again. Maybe there was some sort of irony or commentary layer I completely missed because I remember hating it when it came out.
There's nothing subtle about the movie, but it never takes itself too seriously which I think works in its favor. I find it fun, and would recommend giving it another shot if you only saw it when it came out, that was almost 15 years ago.

There's nothing subtle about the movie, but it never takes itself too seriously which I think works in its favor. I find it fun, and would recommend giving it another shot if you only saw it when it came out, that was almost 15 years ago.
... yeah, I guess I can agree with this. Josie and the Pussycats is a lot like the Scooby Doo movie, in that it knew actually who it's audience was (kids and nostalgic adults in their 30's-40's) and played to that audience by simply being as fun and funny as possible. And you know what? There's a reason that Matthew Lillard does the voice of Shaggy now and it's because that movie showed that he gets it.

Sometimes, when I work from home, I run horror movies in the background because my lovely wife does not watch them, and they usually don't require my full attention. I figured I heard good things about The Babadook, so it might be amusing.

For someone with a young son with anxiety disorder, it was not amusing. Well acted? Interesting? Creepy? Yes. But not amusing.

Sometimes, when I work from home, I run horror movies in the background because my lovely wife does not watch them, and they usually don't require my full attention. I figured I heard good things about The Babadook, so it might be amusing.

For someone with a young son with anxiety disorder, it was not amusing. Well acted? Interesting? Creepy? Yes. But not amusing.
The Babadook is one of the most terrifying British horror movies I have ever seen and it does it on a shoestring budget. I am completely impressed with it.

Oh, I also watched VHS having heard some good things about it. That was accurate. There were some good things about it. In the end, however, instead of trying VHS 2 or whatever they called the one after that, I decided that a better horror anthology would be continuing to watch Supernatural.

I guess what I'm saying is that it was no Trick R Treat.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, I also watched VHS having heard some good things about it. That was accurate. There were some good things about it. In the end, however, instead of trying VHS 2 or whatever they called the one after that, I decided that a better horror anthology would be continuing to watch Supernatural.

Hah, for a minute I thought you'd said VHF and was at first a little miffed, then a little confused, then totally lost. Then I realized.

The wrap-around story for VHS was dumb as hell. As for the actual stories, I thought the first one was different and interesting for the creature of choice, and the last one I liked because while most of the characters in the rest were assholes of varying degrees, those guys could've gotten away without problem, but stopped and decided they needed to help.

VHS 2 ... well, it has a better budget! The cult story was the only one I found really of any interest. One story has aliens, so that's at least different than the others. Overall, you're not missing anything.

The wrap-around story for VHS was dumb as hell. As for the actual stories, I thought the first one was different and interesting for the creature of choice, and the last one I liked because while most of the characters in the rest were assholes of varying degrees, those guys could've gotten away without problem, but stopped and decided they needed to help.

VHS 2 ... well, it has a better budget! The cult story was the only one I found really of any interest. One story has aliens, so that's at least different than the others. Overall, you're not missing anything.
Yeah, the VHS films aren't great, but at least there are a few good stories. I'll give my props to the alien story in VHS 2, though, because that one (at least to me) managed to actually make the classic Greys creepy.

From what I've heard, though, the third is apparently atrocious, so I'm staying away from that one.

Last edited:
yeah, the VHS films aren't great, but at least there are a few good stories. I'll give my props to the alien story in VHS 2, though, because that one (at least to me) managed to actually make the classic Greys creepy.

From what I've heard, though, the third is apparently atrocious, so I'm staying away from that one.
Same. I think the series is spent.