[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I watched a documentary (Maidentrip) about a 14 year old girl that sailed around the world "alone". It was interesting, but since she is a teenager she is a bit melodramatic about life, but there was surprisingly very little crying. Also, I have serious doubts she did this alone, hence my quotes.
She's evidently an experienced sailor and has been doing it all of her life. Of course, she didn't sail the entire globe without aid. She made several ports of call, and had lots of help at each stop. But the time in the ocean was evidently all her by her lonesome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Dekker
The original plan called for Dekker to be met at 14 locations by a support team, which also would help her along difficult spots such as the Panama Canal.[15] In reality, for cost reasons, people from home (mostly family members) met her only five times, although she was given some assistance by other leisure sailors she met, for example through the Panama Canal. The plan said she would not be sailing for more than three weeks between stops. After Australia she however decided to skip some stops so she in reality did two 6–7 weeks long legs.

Well, it stands to reason she had a documentary film crew with her, am I right?
"Maidentrip (2013), mostly shot by Dekker and directed by Jillian Schlesinger, is an 82-minute documentary about this trip."

so sayeth wikipedia

No one will hold it against you. Well, no one who's cool.

In all fairness, anything the internet drives into the ground to the point of being annoying can turn into something loathed. But considering how Mad Max's total was $350 million, and compare that to Jurassic World's so far $1.2 billion, about four times as much, I don't think enough people even saw Mad Max for that kind of turn-around to happen. The saturation just isn't there when so many other bigger things are circulating (Avengers 2, Jurassic World, Inside Out).

I think Zero Esc is calling you out Gas. I think Zero Esc is saying that Gasbanditry doesn't have a gif for all occasions. Are you going to stand for this?!

GasBandit

Staff member
In honor of 4th of July weekend, I did something I haven't since 2008--watched Jaws! Though I believe that year it was because Roy Scheider died. In any case, I've seen it a ton of times. Still an amazing movie. Quint still reminds me of my stepdad.

This time was my wife's first viewing ... probably only viewing. We ran into a unique snag, in that Roy Scheider at that time bears an uncanny resemblance to her alcoholic, abusive father when he was younger. Kind of made it hard for her to get invested or enjoy the movie, unfortunately.

Wasn't sure where else to put this but a friend of mine saw Terminator: Genysis and said there's absolutely nothing good about it. He mentioned he could at least ignore flaws in T4, but this one was so bad he left the theater angry.

It's too bad; Predators was kind of like that, but it was sort of fun.

I'd like to see Arnold in another good movie. Hopefully the Conan movie he's doing will be better.

Terminator Genysis is out this weekend, and I'm really wanting to see amazing action with a strong female lead trying to right the wrongs of a distopian future. I think I'll go see Mad Max Fury Road again tonight.

It's too bad; Predators was kind of like that, but it was sort of fun.

I'd like to see Arnold in another good movie. Hopefully the Conan movie he's doing will be better.
I dug the hell out of Predators. It was dumb, over the top, and I didn't find it TOO referencial to previous films. In fact, it added a lot of new things to the mythos.

I dug the hell out of Predators. It was dumb, over the top, and I didn't find it TOO referencial to previous films. In fact, it added a lot of new things to the mythos.
I liked that it used the original's music; could've done with less quoting the original's lines (which was my only gripe with Rise of the Planet of the Apes).

Mad Max Fury Road
First time I've seen a movie more than twice in theatres.
Yup still great.
My wife and I debated going a sixth time this afternoon. We really want to, but it's gone from the nearby theaters (did we not see it enough to support its presence?!) and pretty much everything for timing, gas, money, traffic was against us going into the next county to see it.

Last edited:
Are you a fan of Kurosawa? If you haven't seen Stray Dog or Roshomon, you should check them out. Also, if you're a fan of Shakespeare AND Kurosawa, check out Throne of Blood.
I like Roshomon for its visual aesthetic and story structure, but for some reason, I can not watch that whole movie in one sitting.