[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Man, I can get annoyed by the word "cringe" and "cringey".
Yes, it's stuff that makes you cringe, ok, I get it. I'm a boomer, sure.
But what the heck is wrong with "embarrassed"? "Mortifying"? "Shameful", if you must? I'll even accept "cringe-worthy" - for which as far as I know "cringe" is just the shorthand...but ugh.

Kid slang has been stupid forever. Remember when saying something was "so bad" meant it was really really good?
You're shit = you bad
You're the shit = you good
Lots of people mumbling and half-eating their words = no way to tell which one people mean.

Yeah, I know, andI don't really necessarily care whether something is "cool", "rad", "awesomesauce", "the shit", "leet", or "zop-bob-biddity-doowhop". I dunno, I just really dislike cringe as a word...I think using "cringe" is, well, cringe.

You're shit = you bad
You're the shit = you good
Lots of people mumbling and half-eating their words = no way to tell which one people mean.

Yeah, I know, andI don't really necessarily care whether something is "cool", "rad", "awesomesauce", "the shit", "leet", or "zop-bob-biddity-doowhop". I dunno, I just really dislike cringe as a word...I think using "cringe" is, well, cringe.

My step-dad used to get so mad when we used the word "dork" because we used it to mean someone who's socially awkward and foolish. In his generation, it meant "penis". My step-kids went through a phase of using Doge-talk at the dinner table because they thought it was cute and made a delineation between them and us 'olds'. That stopped right quick when I started using it any time I talked to them :awesome:

My personal pet peeve new slang is "cursed"...it just annoys me. But there's no stemming the tide of slang change across the generations.

I don't mind evolving slang because some of it is hilarious. "Yeet" is my favorite new word. I know "cracker" is meant to be offense, but it makes me giggle, moreso than "honky". I think I'll take "cringe" over "cheugy", though.

And I say this as a parent who's child has been saying "JK!", along with his classmates. I don't want to be bothered by it, but when they do it, all I can think of is:

(Also, "BFF" and "newb" are still in vogue, apparently.)

you all realize we sound like every aging generation ever that came before us, right?
And this makes it/us/them wrong? :p

I don't mind some variations of youth talk or changing language. Yeet all you want. IDC.
There's just some that annoy. Cringe is just... Aan even worse word than moist, as far as I'm concerned.
Literally for figuratively drives me up the wall, too.
I'm not necessarily saying everyone should talk like it's 1995, fuck no.
There's just some words or usage cases that I hate.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't mind evolving slang because some of it is hilarious. "Yeet" is my favorite new word. I know "cracker" is meant to be offense, but it makes me giggle, moreso than "honky". I think I'll take "cringe" over "cheugy", though.

And I say this as a parent who's child has been saying "JK!", along with his classmates. I don't want to be bothered by it, but when they do it, all I can think of is:

(Also, "BFF" and "newb" are still in vogue, apparently.)
I love this one

And this makes it/us/them wrong? :p

I don't mind some variations of youth talk or changing language. Yeet all you want. IDC.
There's just some that annoy. Cringe is just... Aan even worse word than moist, as far as I'm concerned.
Literally for figuratively drives me up the wall, too.
I'm not necessarily saying everyone should talk like it's 1995, fuck no.
There's just some words or usage cases that I hate.
I get what you're saying. My word is 'nourish'.
I know it's a perfectly good word, but it's been so overused and misused, especially in marketing to sell overpriced snake oil, that it's lost meaning to me and I despise it. All sorts of products and services, it seems, can 'nourish' you. Or your soul. Or your career. Or whatever the fuck else they're trying to sell you. It just sounds pretentious and fake, and makes me want to punch something.
So now, even a bland and factual statement like "Plants receive nourishment from the soil" grates on my nerves.

I love this one
This looks like a mummy from one of the Appalachian cave systems.

I'm also not fond of "cringe" as an adjective, but I think that's because I find most stuff marked as such to be, well, cringeworthy. But that said, I completely agree with the sentiment displayed in the twitter cartoon.

--Patrick

MOONFALL IS THE MOST RIDICULOUS THING I HAVE EVER SEEN

i laughed out loud at least a few times just complete absurdity

I watched Spine of the Night. A shudder movie starring Lucy Lawless that's entirely rotoscoped and I had a good time watching what is essentially a modern Heavy Metal movie that wears all of it's influences openly. It's extremely Soulsy.

Everyone I know that I've shown the trailer to has said, "Oh look, a modern Heavy Metal" even though the trailer opens right up with, "There is no other work of animation like this" ha ha nice try.
I don't know if I'll see it, I'm not sure I'll enjoy it. Maybe if it comes up in the donated media pile.

--Patrick

I wasn't expecting this [Pixar] movie to make me cry like a baby, but here we are.
You just gotta go into any Pixar movie ready for that possibility.
If they ever do a Pixar remake of The Red Balloon (1956), I just expect I'm going to have to bring an entire bedsheet to the theater with me.

--Patrick

Turning Red:

I wasn't expecting this movie to make me cry like a baby, but here we are. This was a beautiful story and the animation was gorgeous.
Alright, I've taken some time to collect my thoughts, even rewatch a few scenes over again because I felt like there may have been subtle context I missed, and this might be my favorite Pixar movie.

Going in, the only thing I knew about this movie is that audiences were divided on it and that maybe it was about a girl going through puberty. After watching it, it's actually about a girl trying to tell her parents she's a furry, and I really cannot see where the divide comes from, it was fucking amazing. Yes, I'm not a Canadian girl born to chinese immigrants and so I don't have exact 1:1 experience with what she's going through, but I've been a teenager. I've been embarrassed about puberty. I've been psychologically scarred by generational trauma from my parents. These are pretty universal things, so I have to assume the criticisms I've seen of people saying they can't relate either come from chuds with zero empathy or that same fox news crowd that gets upset anytime something doesn't star a white cis man. I've also seen people show disgust that a movie starring 13 year old girls would be so sexualized, to which I have to wonder if we watched the same movie. Mei fantasizes about boys, but she keeps drawing and imagining them as mermen. She's so innocent she literally can't imagine a boy from the waist down. If you see a story about a girl dealing with her hormones and coming to appreciate her body and you read that as provocative, that might be projection on your part.

I went into this movie expecting the panda transformation to be a metaphor for a girl getting her period. And it is, a little, but I found the metaphor to actually be very broad and complex. Different people are going to see different things in this movie.

I, personally, really loved how the mother was written. I think in a movie like this, it would be very easy to write the mother as just an evil villain. Mei Mei's mother is not abusive in the way fairy tale stepmothers are abusive. She's abusive in the way I assume most people's parents are abusive to them. Or maybe I just had a fucked up childhood and am not the best judge there. The mom clearly loves her daughter and is doing what she thinks is best for her, but she's continuing the generational trauma that her mother saddled her with, and Mei's story of learning to break free from that.

So yeah, 10/10, rewatching the scenes I rewatched left me ugly crying all over again.

so I have to assume the criticisms I've seen of people saying they can't relate either come from chuds with zero empathy…
Yes, somewhat, but really more…
…or that same fox news crowd that gets upset anytime something doesn't star a white cis man.
Bingo.

That, and a depressing number of people clutching pearls over the fact that the movie explicitly acknowledges menstruation. ’Cuz basic biology = ew for way too many people.

My daughter, who is 11 and therefore the perfect demographic, didn’t want to see the movie because one of her friends (from a laughably conservative family) said it was “gross” and “disturbing” without explaining why. Once my daughter watched it and liked it, she said “That?! That’s it? What’s the big deal?” She was shocked her conservative friend was so upset about it.

But enough hijacking. I agree with you 100%, it was a great movie.

Last edited:
Morbius.

It was an OK movie but it's somewhat formulaic and predictable. I foresaw the entire plot and outcome early in the movie when..
Morbius created multiple vials of serum, but only used one.

Still, for a popcorn flick, it was alright. I liked it better than: Eternals, Wonder Woman 84, and Shazam to compare with other super hero movies. And like a lot of super hero movies, it ends with a great big CGI mess of a fight, so I don't think that's much of a spoiler.

Morbius.

It was an OK movie but it's somewhat formulaic and predictable. I foresaw the entire plot and outcome early in the movie when..
Morbius created multiple vials of serum, but only used one.

Still, for a popcorn flick, it was alright. I liked it better than: Eternals, Wonder Woman 84, and Shazam to compare with other super hero movies. And like a lot of super hero movies, it ends with a great big CGI mess of a fight, so I don't think that's much of a spoiler.
Man, Shazam doesn't deserve to be in that group.

I couldn't make it through Eternals, though.

Man, Shazam doesn't deserve to be in that group.

I couldn't make it through Eternals, though.
Yeah, I'll echo Shazam: it's basically the only DC movie I've liked since The Dark Knight. Knew exactly what it wanted to be, went hard because they didn't know if they'd get a sequel, but hit all the important notes for the character. I'm hoping Fury of the Gods and Black Adam are half as good.

Last edited: