[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

The Lost City

A funny (if a little uneven) rom-com. All the major stars have some great moments, but Channing Tatum and Brad Pitt really play off each other well. Daniel Radcliffe makes a good villain, too. I would definitely recommend it as a fun piece of escapist cinema.

The Lost City

A funny (if a little uneven) rom-com. All the major stars have some great moments, but Channing Tatum and Brad Pitt really play off each other well. Daniel Radcliffe makes a good villain, too. I would definitely recommend it as a fun piece of escapist cinema.
I just saw that today too. Was amused, but also felt it was uneven. Also, a little formulaic, though that's sometimes not bad.
The real reward was in you all along!

Turning Red

I liked it. I think I might have liked it more if the themes of motherhood and daughterhood resonated with me more, or if I had personal experiences in the challenges of puberty as a girl, but unfortunately I have no experience in these matters so this movie was mostly a cute story about a girl that turns into a panda. And purely as a movie about a girl that turns into a panda, it was good. The animation was good, the humor landed for me, the story was interesting, the voice acting was good, and even the music was to my taste.

The overly demanding Asian mother, though, that part resonated with me hard.

The Wizard of Oz

Not for me, but Li'l Z had never seen it before yesterday. I put it on because I realized how much of pop-culture/books/movies/tv shows STILL reference an 83-year-old movie. He ended up liking it, and there was a lot of, "Oh, I've seen/heard this before!" and "Is that where that comes from?" in almost every scene. Parts in the Avengers and Wreck-It Ralph now made more sense. Also, it was nice to watch a movie that was made before 2000 that wasn't overtly or casually racist/sexist!... Well, maybe Glinda's bitchy remark on how "only bad witches are ugly". Jesus, Glinda; "good witch", my ass.

But there were two things that caught me off-guard when he was watching. I don't know if this is an age thing, or just my own goofy kid:

1)Li'l Z was not used the way old-timey actors enunciated their lines. I think the closest he's ever come to hearing it before was Yakko Warner. It caused some confusion in the beginning when pre-tornado Dorothy was lamenting her situation:

Li'l Z: "She should move to America."
Me: "They're in Kansas!"
Li'l Z: "...oh."

2)And speaking of the "language barrier", he didn't initially understand that the Munchkins are NOT leprechauns, and that their funny way of talking is NOT an Irish accent (!?!), because he asked me , "Is that St. Patrick?". I give you the Patron Saint of Ireland, according to my son:
3b7ccc92-1f1b-4a56-a776-84bfd1ccd3ab_screenshot.jpg

(Oh, and he did also ask if the witches had anything to do with the Potterverse, and was disappointed to learn they weren't.)

The Wizard of Oz

Not for me, but Li'l Z had never seen it before yesterday. I put it on because I realized how much of pop-culture/books/movies/tv shows STILL reference an 83-year-old movie. He ended up liking it, and there was a lot of, "Oh, I've seen/heard this before!" and "Is that where that comes from?" in almost every scene. Parts in the Avengers and Wreck-It Ralph now made more sense. Also, it was nice to watch a movie that was made before 2000 that wasn't overtly or casually racist/sexist!... Well, maybe Glinda's bitchy remark on how "only bad witches are ugly". Jesus, Glinda; "good witch", my ass.

But there were two things that caught me off-guard when he was watching. I don't know if this is an age thing, or just my own goofy kid:

1)Li'l Z was not used the way old-timey actors enunciated their lines. I think the closest he's ever come to hearing it before was Yakko Warner. It caused some confusion in the beginning when pre-tornado Dorothy was lamenting her situation:

2)And speaking of the "language barrier", he didn't initially understand that the Munchkins are NOT leprechauns, and that their funny way of talking is NOT an Irish accent (!?!), because he asked me , "Is that St. Patrick?". I give you the Patron Saint of Ireland, according to my son:

(Oh, and he did also ask if the witches had anything to do with the Potterverse, and was disappointed to learn they weren't.)

The Wizard of Oz

Now fracture his innocence by showing him Return to Oz.

I saw Oz the Great and Powerful. It was alright. To be honest, both it and Return to Oz never come close to the original, as far as being iconic, and honestly, being a rewatchable film. Although, I will say Return to Oz does match the original illustrations better.

I saw Oz the Great and Powerful. It was alright. To be honest, both it and Return to Oz never come close to the original, as far as being iconic, and honestly, being a rewatchable film. Although, I will say Return to Oz does match the original illustrations better.
I feel Return to Oz matches the original stories in general better as well. They are pretty twisted.

I feel Return to Oz matches the original stories in general better as well. They are pretty twisted.
My ex's mom was a huge Oz book fan. The pride of her book collection was that she had 1st editions of a few of the books. She liked Return to Oz for that reason.

Everything Everywhere All At Once

I'm way overdue on seeing this and I regret not seeing it sooner.

In other words? Go see it. Just go see it. It's fucking amazing and deserves all the praise it's already been getting. It's weird as hell, but it has an incredibly strong emotional core that ties it all together far neater than you could expect from such a glorious clusterfuck of a movie.

Go. See. It.

Last edited:
Everything Everywhere All At Once

I'm way overdue on seeing this and I regret not seeing it sooner.

In other words? Go see it. Just go see it. It's fucking amazing and deserves all the praise it's already been getting. It's weird as hell, but it has an incredibly strong emotional core that ties it all together far neater than you could expect from such a glorious clusterfuck of a movie.

Go. See. It.
Ok I went to see this on Nick's recommendation and wow.

Let's put it this way. There are VERY few movies I've been tempted to rewatch so soon after seeing it. But this is one of them. I might try seeing it at least once more before it leaves theates. It's unquestionably my favorite movie so far this year and it MIGHT sneak into my top 20 all-time favorites. Time and repeated viewings will be the judge of that.

If my praise doesn't convince you, watch Moviebob's review:

Last edited:
Swiss Army Man

I'm still kinda coming off the high of Everything Everywhere, so I thought I'd see what else "The Daniels" have done. Turns out, they also did Swiss Army Man, which I'd vaguely heard about but hadn't seen.

And it was...okay. It's also weird as fuck, with a lot of juvenile humor, and hilarious. And Paul Dano and especially Daniel Radcliffe are really great. But I didn't find the emotional core of this one nearly as strong as Everything Everywhere. Maybe that's not a fair comparison. In terms of escalating weirdness and disgusting but hilarious visual gags, it's definitely a "Daniels" movie. It just didn't hit me as strong, emotionally.

Sonic 2 was lots of silly fun. There's a point in the middle that focuses a bit much in a weird way on some of the secondary humans(not James Marsden and his wife, her sister) but otherwise it was a good time. LOTS of little references directly from the games.

Tyson's name is in the credits as Co-Producer this time which is neat to see.

Let's put it this way. There are VERY few movies I've been tempted to rewatch so soon after seeing it. But this is one of them. I might try seeing it at least once more before it leaves theates. It's unquestionably my favorite movie so far this year and it MIGHT sneak into my top 20 all-time favorites. Time and repeated viewings will be the judge of that.

If my praise doesn't convince you, watch Moviebob's review:

You convinced me. Seeing it tonight.

Bumblebee

I watched this once already (I think last year for the first time). But I just got a BluRay copy for super cheap and rewatched it tonight.

This movie still rocks, even though it generously borrows its structure from The Iron Giant. Then again, there are FAR worse movies to borrow from and everything about this movie makes me mad that we couldn't get more of this and less of the awful Bayformer movies (I didn't even really like the first one, which I'll admit was the best one of those and that's not saying much).

And it's not just because the aesthetics and designs are more loyal to the original cartoon designs. It's just a really great movie that doesn't try to overstuff itself. Ironically, it takes the similar core of the first movie - a young person and their giant robot - but removes ALL the extra filler stuff to focus squarely on that original core concept. And that's why it's great. Its runtime is far more manageable, it doesn't overstay its welcome, and the effects are FAR clearer because the robot designs are more defined. So it doesn't just look like two barely identifiable blobs mashing up against each other like the Bayformer movies.

This is, by far, the best Transformers movie since the animated movie.

Last edited: