[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Everything Everywhere all at once

FANTASTIC film, wish I saw it in theaters.

Ghost in the Shell

Uh...hm. I don't want to say this was over hyped, but there couldve been way more action and less sets of establishing shots that go on for 2 to 5 minutes. THAT and like many of Mamoru Oshii's works it will often have long scenes of characters expositing psychological and philosophical claptrap in lieu of real character exploration.

Like, it's not bad, 8 out of 10 but I expected better.

Maximum Overdrive

This film was weirdly a good pallet cleanser after Ghost in the Shell, whereas the former was intellectual but too slow, this was just a fun dumb movie about the Green Goblin's trucksona fucking everybody up! Also-WE MADE YOU!

GasBandit

Staff member
Ghost in the Shell

Uh...hm. I don't want to say this was over hyped, but there couldve been way more action and less sets of establishing shots that go on for 2 to 5 minutes. THAT and like many of Mamoru Oshii's works it will often have long scenes of characters expositing psychological and philosophical claptrap in lieu of real character exploration.

Like, it's not bad, 8 out of 10 but I expected better.
I am assuming you're talking about the original animated work and not the ScarJo remake here, but yeah, as with a lot of early 90s anime movies, they were mostly trying to go for the "Wow this artwork is pretty" factor because people had never seen pretty cartoons before and they were trying to establish themselves as "we're real legitimate artists, take us seriously" with lots of arthouse highbrow stuff rather than summer movie bow-pang-zoom crowd appeal.

The TV series (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex) is MUCH better.

I am assuming you're talking about the original animated work and not the ScarJo remake here, but yeah, as with a lot of early 90s anime movies, they were mostly trying to go for the "Wow this artwork is pretty" factor because people had never seen pretty cartoons before and they were trying to establish themselves as "we're real legitimate artists, take us seriously" with lots of arthouse highbrow stuff rather than summer movie bow-pang-zoom crowd appeal.

The TV series (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex) is MUCH better.
Yeah I remember it being pretty good, been meaning to check it out again, that and more of the original manga.

I've heard the second movie wasn't very good, considering Major Kusaragi wasn't even in it I'm not surprised.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah I remember it being pretty good, been meaning to check it out again, that and more of the original manga.

I've heard the second movie wasn't very good, considering Major Kusaragi wasn't even in it I'm not surprised.
Solid State Society? I won't say any spoilers, but I will say that yeah, it wasn't as good as GITS:SAC's series proper.

Demon City Shinjuku

Just...just the MOST late eightiest animation I've ever seen, like dear god, like it was pretty fun but also wicked mad generic, and the 90s dub didn't do it ANY favors sweet Jesus so dumb I loved it.

Alien: Romulus
A pretty enjoyable film that is overall a lovely hybrid of the first two Alien films. They kept the 80’s janky Sci-Fi look from those films which just made me very happy overall. The movie expects you’ve seen an alien movie before so it does its best to surprise you in new and inventive ways. Not everything about this film is five stars.
the human/alien hybrid at the end there wasn’t a great design or overall good idea
But it did the job and I was well entertained for two hours.

figmentPez

Staff member
Theater Camp

I had never heard of this one before I saw it on a list of movies leaving Hulu. It's about a summer/theater camp that is going to be bought-out and shut down by a big company, so the camp decides to put on a fundraiser show to save it. Very cliched plot, but it's a lot of fun.

Alien: Romulus.

Or should that be Alien: Callbacks? There was I don't know how many scenes where I felt the movie was jostling my arm & going "you remember this from previous movies right? Look at it, look at how we're referencing it". You know what, I do remember this from the earlier movies. Doesn't mean it needed to be in this movie. Particularly the whole final act, where the movie has reached a natural stopping point only to introduce a sudden new threat just so it could call back to a bad plot point from a bad movie, even if this movie did do that better. And then there's what I felt was the worst part of the movie.

Rook.

Ian Holm's face badly CG'ed onto someone else's head & an (admittedly quite good) soundalike switching between exposition & quoting lines from the first film. If you absolutely had to have a previous Android model back you should have hired Lance Henriksen or Michael Fassbender, this just felt uncomfortable to me.

Don't get me wrong, this was still easily the 3rd best Alien film, the subplot with Andy was great & David Jonsson did a fantastic job of playing that character. But if you've seen all the previous movies, I think you've seen 90% of this one.

Well, to be fair, what can a new movie do that wasn't already done by the first 2 ?

Hell, the 2nd one only worked by making it into an action horror instead of just a horror film.

But what i don't get is why the GG face looked so bad in some scenes, but not in others. Like, we have people steaming live with someone elses face, you'd think a million dollar budget would at least make it as good even in the worse looking scenes.

Well, to be fair, what can a new movie do that wasn't already done by the first 2 ?

Hell, the 2nd one only worked by making it into an action horror instead of just a horror film.

But what i don't get is why the GG face looked so bad in some scenes, but not in others. Like, we have people steaming live with someone elses face, you'd think a million dollar budget would at least make it as good even in the worse looking scenes.
It's weird that the video game Alien: Isolation is genuinely a better followup to the series than any of the movies since Aliens... which is probably why they took stuff from it for Alien: Romulus.

It's weird that the video game Alien: Isolation is genuinely a better followup to the series than any of the movies since Aliens... which is probably why they took stuff from it for Alien: Romulus.
Hey, the 1st 2 AvP's where pretty good...

It's time. The reason for all bad cgi in big budget movies is time. All of the production studios are so overworked that they can barely get anything done.
Yeah, but like i said, we have LIVE streams with that shit right now...

Bad CGI rarely bothers me unless it’s really bad. Someone is making something exist that’s not really there and I’m prepared to give them some slack on it.
CGI Ian Holmes face replacement seemed fine to me. There was no confusion who he was supposed to be. If I can still love the CGI of The Last Starfighter then I can absolutely give any modern day decent try a pass.

Trap

I agree with Nick for the most part. It's an enjoyable movie and I'm glad to see that Josh Hartnett can act even though he's aged out of the heartthrob phase. I also like that they used an actual 14-year-old to play the daughter. So many studios cast twenty-somethings to play teenagers in order to avoid child labor laws and stage moms.

CGI Ian Holmes face replacement seemed fine to me. There was no confusion who he was supposed to be. If I can still love the CGI of The Last Starfighter then I can absolutely give any modern day decent try a pass.
The issue for me was that it looked fine in some scenes, perfect even, but not in others, and it really took me out of it. IMO it would have been better is it was crappy all the time, at least it would have been consistent.

Beetlejuice
Beetlejuice

I appreciate that this is a film that Tim Burton really got to have fun with. It's trippy, kooky, and maybe just goes a bit too far in some scenes. The use of practical effects and sets are very enjoyable.
Story-wise I'd just say it's ok. Every problem that comes up just ends up having a very quick and only semi-satisfying solution. In fact there are a few mysteries in this film that have pretty underwhelming answers.
I'm sure that Michael Keaton gets more time as Beetlejuice in this film than he did in the original film (17.5 minutes of screen time) but he's still oddly absent from most of the film.