[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

A beautiful day in the neighborhood

I'm doing a month long sermon series on Mr Rogers, so this counts as research, but damn, it's a good movie. Lots of feels.

Horror Hospital

...WOW that...sure was a movie. The pacing was very off, the first act dragged on for-EVER, and there's a twist in it that KINDA feels like its ripping off "Dr.Phibes".

My Neighbor Totoro
Watched it with my daughter this weekend. First time for both of us. When she wasn't snuggling into me she was jumping around super excited.
Great film to watch with her.

The Dark Tower

What the hell was that?

I mean didn't get into the Dark Tower when I tried to read it but the movie made even less sense.

Dave

Staff member
Nah. I've had it a lot longer than that. Just hardly ever take the time to sit down and watch ANYTHING.

The Old Guard

It's on Netflix, and I avoided it because it didn't really look like my thing, but I kept seeing these glowing reviews, so since I had some hand sewing to do today, put it on as background noise.
First half is better than the second half, but it was still a damn good movie.
A mix of Highlander vibes and Ghost in the Shell vibes (at least to me).

Would recommend.

Villain stabbed in throat is able to get up go down a flight of stairs and chase down a car for a gotcha shock moment bad. Like nobody dies without a cliche 80s quip bad. Like get shot in fast paced action means nothing, it needs somber slow music for it to kill you.

American Pickle

PRETTY good, but honestly I feel it would've worked better as a short film rather than a full feature length. Plus is one of those stories that's like "JUST GET ALONG YOU DUMB FUCKS!"

figmentPez

Staff member
The Sleepover

Wow this movie is dumb. I mean, I knew it was going to be stupid, but not this incredibly stupid. The writing is obnoxiously bad.

If you want a teen spy movie, skip this and watch Barely Lethal instead.

figmentPez

Staff member
Project Power

Netflix movie about a drug that gives people an unpredictable superpower for 5 minutes. It was okay. Mostly predictable, and very derivative if you're familiar with comics, but it had some decent action sequences, and the acting was solid, though not stand-out. Mostly I walked away feeling like the script just didn't really have any new ideas for what to do with superpowers. For example, why does the bad guy with access to guns take the pill to
grow bone spikes
when he could just use his GUN. Clearly all the bad guys already know what powers they get from the pill, so why is this guy going for a power that objectively less useful than a GUN?

EDIT: The movie is at it's best when it's just dealing with maverick cop, friendship, and conspiracy/intrigue stuff. It just falls flat when the superpowers come out.

EDIT 2: Wait, this is just a 1980s maverick cops vs drug cartel movie, re-written to have super powers in it, only the writer has never read comic books, just seen a couple of superhero movies.

Last edited:
Bill and Ted Face The Music

As a big fan of the previous movies, I loved this one. It is dumb in all the right ways, and the breakout stars are definitely the daughters, Billie and Thea. Have you seen Bill and Ted? Did you like those movies? Then you'll like this one, gold star.

As a big fan of the previous movies, I loved this one. It is dumb in all the right ways, and the breakout stars are definitely the daughters, Billie and Thea. Have you seen Bill and Ted? Did you like those movies? Then you'll like this one, gold star.
Agreed. It's also amazing to sit and watch a movie not made for kids that seems devoid entirely of cynicism. Like, it was just a happy, fun movie.

Agreed. It's also amazing to sit and watch a movie not made for kids that seems devoid entirely of cynicism. Like, it was just a happy, fun movie.
They definitely brought the same magic to this film that the first two had. Same pacing. Same heart.

Ma (2019)

This movie is carried entirely by Octavia Spencer's performance. With her, it's an alright film, but it would've been a bad one if it didn't have her. As a horror film it's not very scary, as a thriller it's not very thrilling, the story is nothing original (do we really need another "beware the outcast" movie?), and the cast other than Spencer are pretty forgettable.

Though I'll admit the actresses are all hot.

Robin's Wish (2020)

It's a documentary, and one that is probably not meant for everybody.

Going into it, I think I expected a more retrospective treatment like you usually get in commercial documentaries. "He was born in Chicago, got his start in Detroit, but really took off when he headed to the West Coast...and discovered drugs," and all that sort of thing. It is billed as: "...an intimate portrait of Robin in his final days, with deeply personal stories from some of those closest to him, [...] getting the word out to fans about who Robin really was in light of what happened at the end of his life. [...] To fans around the world, the complete story of what really
happened to Robin, and his complete legacy — to make people less afraid — has been untold. Until now.
"

The narrative does touch on his career, life, and legacy, but it mainly concerns itself with him and those around him over the five or so months leading up to his death in August of 2014, and also through the couple of months afterwards when his condition was finally (posthumously) discovered--a form of Lewy Body Dementia, or LBD (in his case, specifically "Dementia with Lewy Bodies," or DLB). It is presented somewhat disjointedly, almost Vonnegut-esque, and uses cinematic imagery and music that aren't always directly related to what's being discussed, but considering the couple at the center (the always unpredictable Robin, and his wife, Susan, who is apparently an artsy painter type), that doesn't really feel out of place. We learn that the onset was sudden, with the first signs that something was amiss starting around a year after he and Susan were married, and finally becoming something that could no longer be ignored during the filming of Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (2014). We also learn that LBD/DLB is frequently misdiagnosed as either Parkinson's or something psychological rather than physiological, that it is always fatal (avg 8yr survival after diagnosis), that there is absolutely no cure, and that Robin died with the knowledge that something was going on with his mind, but not exactly what it was.

Again, this is not a clip show. There is absolutely no mention of Mork & Mindy, no scenes from Mrs. Doubtfire, and only the barest mention of his substance abuse, mainly to show how he snapped sober instantly and immediately after being so profoundly shaken by the death of John Belushi. It is more a presentation of a remarkably funny, incandescently brilliant, kind man beloved by millions billions who was driven by his desire to bring the inner child in everyone he met out to play and then personally dispel the boogeymen threatening that child, and of the disease that stole into his life, stealing bits of his mind and replacing them with fear and anxiety that he could not shed. It was not filmed to be a highlight reel of his life.

As I said, it is a documentary, but it is one that is probably not meant for everybody.

It's meant for him.

--Patrick

Halfway through 'Unknown Origins' just released on Netflix. I think a lot folks around here would enjoy it.

Spain Level Cinema budget, but I enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Perfect bookend to the series. I love Excellent Adventure and Bogus Journey, and this delivered in a big way. It wasn't a rehash of the same story or the same gags, but it kept enough of elements from the first two to provide the required fan service of a 30 year late sequel. Can't see how anyone who is a fan of the first two wouldn't also be a fab of this one.

Venom
I have a very mixed reaction to this. It was a fine enough cheesey sci Fi comic book movie, but wasn't a great adaptation of the character. I think making it PG-13 was a mistake, removing Spider-Man from Venom's origin just doesn't add up to me, and the buddy relationship between Eddie and Venom just didn't really work for me. There were also a lot of inconsistencies that I just couldn't overlook.
It's like it's a really good SyFy channel movie, but it really should be a lot better than that.

Perfect bookend to the series. I love Excellent Adventure and Bogus Journey, and this delivered in a big way. It wasn't a rehash of the same story or the same gags, but it kept enough of elements from the first two to provide the required fan service of a 30 year late sequel. Can't see how anyone who is a fan of the first two wouldn't also be a fab of this one.
I've seen some negative reviews from people who grew up and loved the first two. When I first watched it I was a little let down. But I watched it again and I was much happier with it the second time (the finale makes me smile every time).

GasBandit

Staff member
Dei, Terrik, Snuffles and I all watched Bill and Ted Face the Music in VR together.

It was cute. We liked it. We also liked throwing shit at each other and drawing insults in midair.

Dei, Terrik, Snuffles and I all watched Bill and Ted Face the Music in VR together.

It was cute. We liked it. We also liked throwing shit at each other and drawing insults in midair.
This post just gave me one of those "we're living in the future" vibes.