[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

There's good and bad to say about them, but by and large, Star Wars has fared better than Star Trek, in my opinion.
I think the difference is Disney actually wants to invest in Star Wars. CBS is like, "Oh, we still have that thing? Eh."

I also think a big issue with the reception towards Marvel as opposed to Star Wars is when the MCU was launched there was around 50 years of canon continuity and variety of these characters that people were familiar with. Star Wars had 3 movies that people put up on a pedestal, and while there was an EU, it never reached the same recognition for 80-90% of its audience. Now, what we've gotten from Star Wars since 1999 has been a mixed bag of quality, but some of the most vocal Star Wars critics seem to say, "We want more Star Wars, but don't change anything!", and you can't expand a universe if nothing changes. Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

Clone wars and Rebels are what make the
Prequels bearable to me. Without them, and the backstory they lay out, nothing any one does in the movies makes sense to me.
I watched Revenge of the Sith again after watching Clone Wars (after Season 7), and it was like a whole new movie to me. I still hate Padmé's ending, but the rest of the movie makes sense now and was far more enjoyable. Clone Wars made me care about Anakin.

Star Trek was embraced by the fans, and DesiLu didn't care about it. Star Wars was popular, and Lucas cashed in like he was never going to see another dime.

Star Trek was embraced by the fans, and DesiLu didn't care about it. Star Wars was popular, and Lucas cashed in like he was never going to see another dime.
I know the legend of the letter writing campaign saving Star Trek but DesiLu DID want to keep it around and that letter writing campaign was kind of dirtily set up by Gene Reoddenberry who fucked off and left the show after their budget was cut for the third season anyway leaving everyone high and dry.

There's good and bad to say about them, but by and large, Star Wars has fared better than Star Trek, in my opinion.
100% agreed. The Star Wars movies have been hit or miss since Disney and the new shows are good to great. Star Trek just sucks butts in general now.

Dave

Staff member
Willy's Wonderland. I don't know exactly how to explain this movie. It's the Five Nights at Freddy's ripoff movie starring Nic Cage. It's wacky and weird and stupid and fun and just a bonkers movie.

And I could have written Cage's dialogue. Worth a watch.

Willy's Wonderland. I don't know exactly how to explain this movie. It's the Five Nights at Freddy's ripoff movie starring Nic Cage. It's wacky and weird and stupid and fun and just a bonkers movie.

And I could have written Cage's dialogue. Worth a watch.
This movie is not good... but Nic Cage? He's kind of awe inspiring. This is easily in my top three Nic Cage performances.

Tom and Jerry

Hailey's pick for movie night. I think I would have missed this one otherwise.

The Good
*All animals are animated. Nice touch to avoid questioning why just Tom and Jerry are animated. Even the Natural History museum has cartoon dinosaur bones and Sabertooth displays.
* Rob Delaney saying 'Thomas and Jerome". I did not know how much I needed this.
* Tom and Jerry do not talk, unless you count Tom singing at one point.
* The Tom scream. It's sadly not used amazingly, but it's in there a few times.

The Bad
* Talking animals. Yes I know that other animal characters have talked in the cartoons, and it would have been fine, but all performances (apart from maybe the elephants) were crap. Especially the rapping pigeons and Spike.
* Michael Pena's talent is absolutely wasted here. He's not funny at all. He just tries to be I guess some sort of villain.
*Spike takes a couple of shits. Yes... that thing you don't want Cartoon animals to do... they do.
*All human characters, except Rob Delaney, are wastes in this movie.
* The plot is... well it's not Dunstan Checks in bad, but its still bad.
* A Tom and Jerry movie about the power of friendship. It didn't work the first time these guys had a "movie". It won't work here either.

Skip this one.

The Bad
* Talking animals. Yes I know that other animal characters have talked in the cartoons, and it would have been fine, but all performances (apart from maybe the elephants) were crap. Especially the rapping pigeons and Spike.
I know you're not talking about A Tribe Called Quest this way.

A Better Tomorrow 2

WOO-now that was some classic John Woo!

Duck You Sucker

A classic Sergio Leon film, with TONS of explosions, deep political discussions, and a main character I felt was DEFINITELY implied to be bi, fantastic film.

The Kingsman

Pretty good, but my friend whose a HUGE fan of this hyped it up a little too much. The action scenes are fun, but after watching ABT2 right before it I can tell with the lack of squibs the scenes have less impact than they should. THAT-and the female lead gets buried under the rug later in the film, the dog test was confusing, and the part with the princess does not age well. Once again, fun movie, but its definitely got Mark Millar's early...Mark Millarness strewn about giving it that super genre storytelling played off as genre subversion.

Promare

VERY fun story with amazing animation, BUT if I gotta be critical it feels kinda like an episode of a televised anime that doesn't exist. It makes sense, the writer has more of a history writing TV than features, but half the time I wandered if it was a TV pilot or something.

Porco Rosso

Now THIS is a film, good mix of 1930s war drama type story telling, mixed with some Popeye/Disneyesque shenaniganss! ALSO-compared to Promare there was a lot more body diversity among the animated characters, as well as just...MOST modern anime these days in general where characters are either in perfect idealized bodies or horrifying monstrous bodies for the most part.

The Night is short walk on girl

DAMMIT I love Masaaki Yuuasa, and it was nice seeing characters from Tatami Galaxy again as well!

Last edited:
Color Out of Space

Do you like Lovecraftian cosmic horror? Well, that's 100% what this is. It's great.
Finally got around to watching this. Yepppers, definitely a good movie.

While I hope Nic Cage digs his way out of tax hell with the B'movie/straight to VOD onslaught stuff, it's nice to have the occasional nuggets of gold like this.

Attack the Block - heard it was potentially getting a sequel and remembered that I missed it. Works fine as a creature feature with minor social statements (they are there, but don't get to the point of preachiness). I liked it, but suspect that I'll prefer the Snyder cut, (This is how I'll judge every movie from here on out. Frozen? Could have used a Snyder cut. Sophie's Choice? Where was the slow-mo action? Etc.)

Alleluia! The Devil's Carnival Oh man. So I really like The Devil's Carnival for what it was - a one hour, low budget passion project. Made by the group who brought us Repo: The Genetic Opera, it was another bizarre, horror-adjacent musical. Upon discovering there was a sequel and both were on Amazon Prime, I re-watched The Devil's Carnival followed by this. What I didn't expect was the upgrade in both budget and talent. Barry Bostwick? Ted Neely? THE HOFF? If you're a fan of the bizarre, give them a go. You've spent a worse two and a half hours.

The Snyder Cut

Good? Kinda. Long? VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRY much so. They put those "Part" breaks in for a reason. Honestly felt more like a mini-series than a movie.

I watched the Snyder Cut over the course of a week. It was...a series of scenes that had little to do with each other, in some kind of effort to shoehorn 6 stories into one entity, with a couple scenes at the end to try to tie it all together with aesthetic and slomo.

It was...a complete mess? It reminded me of Snyder's treatment of Watchmen. All style and no substance, as if he just doesn't get the characters.

I watched the Snyder Cut over the course of a week. It was...a series of scenes that had little to do with each other, in some kind of effort to shoehorn 6 stories into one entity, with a couple scenes at the end to try to tie it all together with aesthetic and slomo.

It was...a complete mess? It reminded me of Snyder's treatment of Watchmen. All style and no substance, as if he just doesn't get the characters.

Godzilla vs Kong
Meh.
Overall the film is just excuse after excuse to get to the fighting sequences. If that's what you are looking for then it's right up your alley. Just don't expect a plot that makes any lick of sense.

Godzilla just attacked Florida. But he for some reason only attacked an APEX Cybernetics lab. So that must mean that "GODZILLA HAS GONE CRAZY WE ALL GONNA DIE!" and not "Man. Apex must be doing bad stuff.". This means we need power to fight him. What kind of power? SUPER POWER! Where is the super power? In the center of the earth! Why do we know this? FUCK IT WHO CARES? We need to get there. How? Kong! Why Kong? FUCK IT WHO CARES? Godzilla has Kong-sense oh noes! FIGHT ON BOATS! Boats ain't working... let's use helicopters to transport Kong. Why didn't we do this right from the start? FUCK IT WHO CARES? We're in the center of the earth now. Bad guys do bad guy things and can copy unlimited SUPER POWER and wifi it through the center of the Earth. Godzilla don't like that and atomic breaths straight down into the earth to take pot shot at Kong. Kong climbs the 4,000 MILE LONG HOLE in like 20 seconds. BIG FIGHT IN HONG KONG. Then Kong and Godzilla have a "Martha!" moment and are friends now. Then Mecha-Godzilla gets a Titan brain cause of wifi'd, flash-drive, copied SUPER POWER. Why? FUCK IT WHO CARES?. Kong and Godzilla don't like the big robot thing. BIG FIGHT IN WHAT IS LEFT OF HONG KONG. And along the way some humans are doing stupid inconsequential shit that I thought they only did in Transformers movies. The end.

C+

Last edited:
While that's obviously true, there's still a difference between "a minor plot that just serves to set up the big action scenes" and "pieces of disjointed plot that don't work".
I haven't seen this movie, mind you, but I can still enjoy an action scene more if it actually works for what it is.
The Michael Bay Transformers movies are awesome! Lots of big robots fighting each other and tearing up the streets! Except that they're dull and obnoxious and there are far better action movies out there, partially because their plots make some sense.

While that's obviously true, there's still a difference between "a minor plot that just serves to set up the big action scenes" and "pieces of disjointed plot that don't work".
I haven't seen this movie, mind you, but I can still enjoy an action scene more if it actually works for what it is.
The Michael Bay Transformers movies are awesome! Lots of big robots fighting each other and tearing up the streets! Except that they're dull and obnoxious and there are far better action movies out there, partially because their plots make some sense.
863d46ee705d0611f5542dabd078578b.gif

Dave

Staff member
I'm watching it now and yeah there are some stupid plot things. And it's turning out exactly the way everyone thought. It's not bad as long as you just watch the lizard & monkey fight, but anytime there are humans anywhere around it just hits new levels of stupidity.

"We're about to be launched a thousand miles in two seconds until gravity inverts itself and spits us into freefall."

Oh the terrible tropes! "Dad! I'm calling on this cell phone to tell you where I am & what's going on!" Cell phone connects but the connection is so bad that they can't hear each other."

Oh no! Kong is dying! We can hear his heart stopping. Let's electrocute him & get it started!

Last edited:

Yeah it kinda felt like someone told him that he was making an over-dramatic super hero soap opera mini-series rather than a movie for the most part. And even THEN if it WAS that I'd be like "Holy shit, somebody PUNCH something all ready!" every so often.

Its objectively better than the theatrical release, REALLY glad Snyder's vision got through, but this ain't even in my top...FIFTY Justice League stories.

I'm probably in the minority but I way preferred the first of the new Godzilla movies to the second one and if Kong vs Godzilla is more like the second which it sounds like it is, I'm out.

I'm probably in the minority but I way preferred the first of the new Godzilla movies to the second one and if Kong vs Godzilla is more like the second which it sounds like it is, I'm out.
It’s pretty much the same as the second one, but some dumb jokes thrown in for unnecessary comic relief. It could’ve been worse, I’d say it’s at least worth watching if you have nothing else to do.

You went into a Godzilla movie looking for plot?!
I think the problem with it is that instead of practically no plot it has A LOT of inane dumbass plot points just to half-hazzardly connect the dots. I spent myself asking a lot of questions that the answers would have been far more entertaining than the movie.

Like how the hell do you build a massive Truman Show dome on Skull Island and get Kong to actually stay in it? And what the hell happened on the center of the earth expedition beyond like 2 lines of dialogue? And how much time did Apex need to build this massive, futuristic installation around the hole in the Antarctic? And how the hell does only a crazy conspiracy podcast guy be the only one to figure out that Apex is pissing off Godzilla when it's so damn obvious?

Godzilla vs Kong
Meh.
Overall the film is just excuse after excuse to get to the fighting sequences. If that's what you are looking for then it's right up your alley. Just don't expect a plot that makes any lick of sense.

C+
Honestly if they cut out everything Mille Bobby Brown related I would push for a high B/ low A. Cause those fight scenes were big fun.