[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Rewatching the Wire because it's the fucking best and my wife hasn't seen it before.

Finished season 2 a couple days ago. Didn't really like that season on my first watch, but appreciate it much more now on this revisit.

Also watching Treadstone (pretty good so far), and we watched all of Drunk History (I've always unabashedly loved this show)

And Peppa Pig. Lots of Peppa Pig.

I've been streaming a Chinese drama called "The Untamed" (aka 陈情令; Chén Qíng Lìng). I thought I had issues when I was watching a lot of Kdrama. Oh no. That was just a drop in the bucket compared to my current obsession with this show. I stopped watching it after about 10 episodes so I could read the novel (a BL novel at that, called "Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation" or 魔道祖师 / Mó Dào Zǔ Shī). Now that I finished reading it, I'm back to watching the show and reading the manhua as well. It helps that the actors are beautiful (aka hot af) and quite talented.

Last edited:
‘Parks And Recreation’ Returns To NBC As Cast Reunites For Benefit Special Amid Pandemic

The half-hour scripted special to benefit Feeding America’s COVID-19 Response Fund is set to air Thursday, April 30 at 8:30 pm ET/PT.

All of the original characters from the series will return in the Universal TV-produced special, played by original cast members Amy Poehler, Rashida Jones, Aziz Ansari, Nick Offerman, Aubrey Plaza, Chris Pratt, Adam Scott, Rob Lowe, Jim O’Heir, and Retta. Several guest stars from the Pawnee universe may pop in as well. (Deadline)

Amazon’s free, ad-supported streaming service, has ordered a Leverage reimagining, headlined by Noah Wyle.... He will be joined by original cast members Beth Riesgraf, reprising her character as “Parker” and also directing an episode; Gina Bellman as “Sophie Devereaux”; and Christian Kane as “Eliot Spencer”– who will all be series regulars — as well as Aldis Hodge, who will return as “Alec Hardison” in a recurring role, subject to availability from his Showtime series City on a Hill. (Deadline)

Amazon’s free, ad-supported streaming service, has ordered a Leverage reimagining, headlined by Noah Wyle.... He will be joined by original cast members Beth Riesgraf, reprising her character as “Parker” and also directing an episode; Gina Bellman as “Sophie Devereaux”; and Christian Kane as “Eliot Spencer”– who will all be series regulars — as well as Aldis Hodge, who will return as “Alec Hardison” in a recurring role, subject to availability from his Showtime series City on a Hill. (Deadline)
Yeah, I saw this. The people involved have made it clear to everyone via their twitter feeds that the main reason iMDB is doing this is because LOTS of people watched Leverage. It's almost like it's the perfect format for bingeing.

Picked Orphan Black back up after not watching it for like two years.

Still periodically forget that Tatiana Maslany isn't actually 5 different people.

Picked Orphan Black back up after not watching it for like two years.

Still periodically forget that Tatiana Maslany isn't actually 5 different people.
I once got upset that they killed one of her characters. Just really mad because I felt the actress was so good she deserved to be on a tv show this strong.

‘Parks And Recreation’ Returns To NBC As Cast Reunites For Benefit Special Amid Pandemic

The half-hour scripted special to benefit Feeding America’s COVID-19 Response Fund is set to air Thursday, April 30 at 8:30 pm ET/PT.

All of the original characters from the series will return in the Universal TV-produced special, played by original cast members Amy Poehler, Rashida Jones, Aziz Ansari, Nick Offerman, Aubrey Plaza, Chris Pratt, Adam Scott, Rob Lowe, Jim O’Heir, and Retta. Several guest stars from the Pawnee universe may pop in as well. (Deadline)

TBH I hated everything about that show that wasn't baby Yoda.
And I hated baby Yoda but loved everything else.
The series had moments I liked and moments that I really disliked (I am still mad about the killing of the mudhorn, as I think it severely undercut the overall message of the show, but that's a rant for another time) but more than anything else, I kept thinking "wasn't this an episode of Firefly?" while watching it. (This was a sentiment not well received by people I was watching the show with, who thought it was very novel and original...)

Anyway, it mostly made me excited to rewatch Firefly (which I did).

GasBandit

Staff member
The scene with the two scout troopers screwing around with their blasters near the end made up for any tiny deficiencies the rest of the series might have had. A++ series.

Overall I enjoyed the Mandalorian. I thought he was a compelling character and I appreciated his moral decision to rescue the child despite knowing what hell it would unleash. Other great characters of note were Greef Karga, the client, the armorer, Kuiil, Moff Gideon and of course IG-11 and the child as special stand-outs. There was a compelling story arc here and I am very excited to see where things go now that the initial origins of the characters are out of the way. And the production value on a lot of the series was amazing. I do have some gripes overall too, but I thought I'd kinda just list my initial impressions of each episode since there are only the 8.
Will mark for spoilers just in case.
1) The Mandalorian. Fantastic way to start the series. Great setup and great dialogue throughout. The highlight of the episode was the confrontation at the base and the solid interpretation of why an IG droid is one of the best killing machines out there.
2) The Child. Not as fun as the first episode but does have some good moments including the chase with the Sandcrawler which leads to a great twist I did not see coming. The mudhorn fight was kinda meh but to me it does fit in with Star Wars as it's a crazy, lawless, galaxy and conservation of animals is not much of a priority for the majority of it.
3) The Sin. My gawd this episode made up for anything that the 2nd episode let me down on. This was everything I wanted out of this show from the Mando. We got to see who he was and what he would fight for. And he sure as hell can fight.
4) Sanctuary. The first really kinda meh episode. Up until here I could barely notice any "TV Quality" problems in the series. Production costs and acting was fantastic up to this point. Then this episode really just let me down with the quality of everything. The acting was pretty stale from most of the side characters, with the Widow really being the only decent one of them. The two guys that go to find the Mando's ship for example were horrible. The bar lady also really did not fit in with the world. Cara was okay. Then the production was really bad because they clearly wasted everything on the AT-ST at the end, and that thing really didn't do much. And every single creature in that marauder's band is a Klatunian? Lazy. Plus not even the writing was halfway decent and the plot holes atrocious. I have no issue with it reusing the Seven Samuraii plot, but there wasn't anything new or clever done with that idea. And on the subject of plot holes... why the HELL would you sneak into a raiders camp, cause a commotion to get the AT-ST to come after you, when you could just sneak directly to the AT-ST and destroy it or steal it before the drivers activate it?
5) The Gunslinger: No thrills on this one. Not terrible but not great and did not make up for the previous episode. The dock worker, much like the bar lady in the previous episode, was not a good fit for the world and seemed out of place. The deception at the end was easy to predict and there wasn't much excitement to be had.
6) The Prisoner: Nearly made up for the last two episodes on premise alone. Did well with production costs overall. Where it failed was some performances such as the Twileks that were, for some reason, feral? I have no idea why they did it that way. They would have been better off making the siblings of a different species. An ok episode overall.
7) The Reckoning: Yup. This was more like it.
8) Redemption: God DAMN this episode was everything we needed.

I've only seen the first episode. But based entirely on that, the series is just a sci Fi spaghetti western. And that means it's the best Star Wars related video content released in 36 years.

And it's got enough meaningful links to the greater canon of the franchise for there to be some significant implications about places the story could go or other stories it could cross-over with. It's also done a lot to stir interest in non-Jedi stories of Star Wars, which is boon to writers and other creators of properties for the franchise.

GasBandit

Staff member
Until the Mandalorian came out, nothing "awesome" in star wars had happened since Tie Fighter for the PC. We've suffered through years of terrible-to-just-ok prequels, shovelware video games, just-ok sequels and spinoffs...

The Mandalorian made me feel like Star Wars was cool and fun again.

Until the Mandalorian came out, nothing "awesome" in star wars had happened since Tie Fighter for the PC. We've suffered through years of terrible-to-just-ok prequels, shovelware video games, just-ok sequels and spinoffs...

I'd include KoTOR & Battlefront (the 2004 game not the EA pile of crap) in the "awesome" list.

I think that's a little unfair... we had Clone Wars and Rebels during that time, which are actually quite good and stand on their own thanks to strong writing. Hell, the only reason Clone Wars ended early and we're getting a proper finale NOW is that Disney didn't want to keep producing the show for Cartoon Network after they bought the property.

I've only seen the first episode. But based entirely on that, the series is just a sci Fi spaghetti western. And that means it's the best Star Wars related video content released in 36 years.
I thought more of "Lone Wolf and Cub", but yeah I absolutely agree with your statement.

GasBandit

Staff member
Alright, I'll grant all those were pretty good. And the Jedi Knight series too. I let my hyperbole run away with me a little. But it's still been forever since something live action was cool in star wars.