[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Welp, after hearing this at the end of the third episode of Willow, it's gonna be on a constant listening loop for me.

Also, man, the Willow show is some pretty solid entertainment. I got more emotional at the end of this episode than I expected.

Welp, after hearing this at the end of the third episode of Willow, it's gonna be on a constant listening loop for me.

Also, man, the Willow show is some pretty solid entertainment. I got more emotional at the end of this episode than I expected.

If you're not familiar with her, Rina Sawayama is great. And she's got a song you can sing while on pretty much any part of the internet.

Here's the scene in question, although it's obviously a little spoilery. What I like about it is the lyrics don't start until after the credits start rolling, so it doesn't undercut Warwick Davis' delivery.

Enjoy the ride. The rest of this season is great.
I’m on the season finale right now. This show has come such a long way. The series started as Star Trek with fart jokes. Season 2 showed some maturity and battles with real stakes. Season 3 gets into some heavy material surrounding ethics and philosophy. It actually has heart. There are even some scenes that have nothing to do with the plot but provide glimpses of life in that universe and of the characters as people.

Color me excited.
That's a vaguely maroonish brown yellow right?

I'm kind of interested and curious, but in the trailer the kids all seem sort of coded-for-convenience replacement-Fez, replacement-Kelso, etc. I'm curious how much they'll get/find their own voice and character. The jokes of the old crew - referential as they were- were more of a hit for me. And, of course, all the trailers are playing up Kitty and Red. Who were awesome as side characters, but I'm not sure I want to experience the whole show with them taking spotlight. I assume that's just for the premier/first episodes though, and as it goes on we'll see more from the new kids.

I'm kind of interested and curious, but in the trailer the kids all seem sort of coded-for-convenience replacement-Fez, replacement-Kelso, etc. I'm curious how much they'll get/find their own voice and character. The jokes of the old crew - referential as they were- were more of a hit for me. And, of course, all the trailers are playing up Kitty and Red. Who were awesome as side characters, but I'm not sure I want to experience the whole show with them taking spotlight. I assume that's just for the premier/first episodes though, and as it goes on we'll see more from the new kids.
It does appear that some of the characters are just replacements, but maybe that's a good thing. I remember That '80s Show. It focused on twenty-somethings in San Diego. They were creative musician types, punk girls, and yuppies. The actors weren't bad. In fact, most still have productive careers. The problem was their characters were unlikeable. Maybe That '90s Show just needs to repeat the same formula that made That '70s Show so popular.

It does appear that some of the characters are just replacements, but maybe that's a good thing. I remember That '80s Show. It focused on twenty-somethings in San Diego. They were creative musician types, punk girls, and yuppies. The actors weren't bad. In fact, most still have productive careers. The problem was their characters were unlikeable. Maybe That '90s Show just needs to repeat the same formula that made That '70s Show so popular.
I don't think I've ever seen that 80s show.

I'm looking forward to this, honestly. She's great, and it's great to see John Laroquette back.

I've started rewatching the old series in preparation and I'm starting to remember how much I loved it growing up. If it wasn't Muppets, it was Night Court for me. Between the two, I think I see how my sense of humor formed.

I saw the trailer a while back, and while I am not sure they’ll be able to recapture the magic they had with Harry Stone & Co., I’m more than willing to let them have a go. I just hope they don’t muck with the theme too much.

—Patrick

Most people didn’t. The show didn’t even last a season before cancellation. It came out in early 2002 and I’d venture to say that a lot of American audiences were just glued to news post-9/11.
I remember seeing the pilot (I only remember the punk girl with the mohawk) and maybe 1 other episode before it was just gone from tv.

Jack Ryan season 3 dropped recently on Prime Video. Standard spy fare, with some decent high stakes action sequences. I really hope they keep delivering new seasons.

Leonard Nimoy Memorial Moving Forward After Major Donation From Android Co-Founder Rich Miner

Miner tells TrekMovie why he stepped up to help the Nimoy Memorial:

“The Star Trek series and Spock’s character were an early influence on my interest in science and technology along with being an inspiration for several of my start-up companies. Like Leonard, my parents also grew up in the Jewish neighborhoods of Boston.
Supporting the Leonard Nimoy-Live Long and Prosper Memorial Sculpture on display at the Museum of Science in Boston will not only be a beautiful tribute honoring Leonard Nimoy’s legacy but will be a symbol for peace, tolerance and unity for millions of visitors each year”

(TrekMovie)

Servant of the People, starring one Volodymyr Zelensky. I watched the first episode on Netflix and it's really good. The humor seems to translate quite well (I'm watching the subtitled version). Plus there's a whole new dimension to the satire now, given his eventual career change.

I'm late to the party but I finally started watching Peacemaker. I generally dislike modern DC films apart from Shazam and Lego Batman. In fact, my favorite Batman is Adam West and I prefer Cesar Romero's Joker over anybody else (except maybe Jack Nicholson). I think Christopher Reeve is far and away the best Superman. While I believe Gal Gadot is a worthy Wonder Woman, I still think Lynda Carter did it better. That said, Peacemaker has had me laughing almost since I hit the play button.

Watched the Willow season finale. The show as a whole is hit and miss. I enjoyed the characters for the most part but the plot, pacing, and overall mood were all over the place. It felt like it wanted to be a dark, serious fantasy AND a light-hearted adventure but couldn't find the right balance.

A perfect example that is the constant use of pop songs, usually at the tail end of an episode. Only once was it effective for me (the Enter the Sandman cover). The rest feel so out of place in what is otherwise a show with a fantasy score without lyrics. Even Enter the Sandman felt out of place, but it was probably the best timed and the cover rocked.

Looks like they're teasing two more seasons for this series. I enjoyed the first season well enough that I'll tune in for the next one, but I can't say it's anything particularly great overall. It's fun, but nothing great.

The Last of Us, episode 1

Eh, it's okay.

Don't get me wrong. It's incredibly well shot and the acting is good. Most of felt straight out of the game, with a few tweaks and additions since not every scene had to be built around Joel/the player's point of view. All good stuff.

It's just that, like the game, it's another zombie outbreak and zombie post apocalyptic story. It follows a lot of the same beats we've seen many times already in other movies, games, etc.

I was never high on the game itself. I thought the story was fine, but nothing particularly remarkable. Same for the gameplay, which was more frustrating and tedious than anything else. But like the show, it was "just another zombie story" where the "zombies" had a glorified different coat of paint.

I'll probably keep watching, if only for the FOMO from seeing online discussion, but eh, this was okay.