[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Arrow. Quickly turning into one of my favorite shows to catch every week
This weeks episode too prominently featured two characters I think the show could do without. Laurel, who's been pointless all of season 2 and Huntress, who while not as cringe inducingly terrible as she was in season one, still sucks.

The writing for Laurel this episode was especially terrible.

Dave

Staff member
I've been getting frustrated with Archer this season. It's just not funny. Pam looking good but ingesting a shitload of cocaine is kinda funny, although it became annoying fast. Cheryl is just fucking annoying as shit. Really the best episodes were when they went to South America...and that's because they were doing spy-type stuff. They really need to get away from this Archer Vice shit because it's not working.

A show I did start watching is Resurrection. It's 4 episodes in and so far it's good, even if last night's show seemed kinda slow and it really, really needs to be on a channel that isn't "5 minutes of show, 10 minutes of commercials". I can see this becoming as convoluted as Lost, but I certainly hope not.

I've been getting frustrated with Archer this season. It's just not funny. Pam looking good but ingesting a shitload of cocaine is kinda funny, although it became annoying fast. Cheryl is just fucking annoying as shit. Really the best episodes were when they went to South America...and that's because they were doing spy-type stuff. They really need to get away from this Archer Vice shit because it's not working.
It should be good news for you, then, that they've confirmed that they'll go back to the spy stuff for the next season of Archer.

fade

Staff member
I just started the new Battlestar Galactica. I'm still in the miniseries but it's not bad. I resisted because frankly the commercials did not look appealing back in the day. The only character I don't like so far is the blonde robot. She's rather irritating. I sure hope they explain how the human models can emulate human behavior so well later. Also I really like how they incorporate elements of the old series, which I loved without it being a direct sequel.

I just started the new Battlestar Galactica. I'm still in the miniseries but it's not bad. I resisted because frankly the commercials did not look appealing back in the day. The only character I don't like so far is the blonde robot. She's rather irritating. I sure hope they explain how the human models can emulate human behavior so well later. Also I really like how they incorporate elements of the old series, which I loved without it being a direct sequel.
I liked the first 2-2.5 seasons a lot. There's lots of strange explanations for everything, it's Ronald Moore after all.

This weeks episode too prominently featured two characters I think the show could do without. Laurel, who's been pointless all of season 2 and Huntress, who while not as cringe inducingly terrible as she was in season one, still sucks.

The writing for Laurel this episode was especially terrible.
Getting to see Green Arrow and Black Canary in costumes fighting crime together just makes me so happy I black out the Laurel stuff. The more the show adds unashamed super-hero elements the happier I get with it.

I didn't get a chance to comment on it last week, but how great would a Suicide Squad spinoff with Diggle taking the role of Flagg be?

Getting to see Green Arrow and Black Canary in costumes fighting crime together just makes me so happy I black out the Laurel stuff. The more the show adds unashamed super-hero elements the happier I get with it.

I didn't get a chance to comment on it last week, but how great would a Suicide Squad spinoff with Diggle taking the role of Flagg be?
The Suicide Squad episode was awesome, and that would be great.

I like how this was the opening exchange to the first episode of HIMYM

Ted: Kids, I'm gonna tell you an incredible story, the story about how I met your mother.
Boy: Are we being punished for something?
Girl: Yeah, is this gonna take a while?
Ted: Yes!
B&G: *exasperated sighs and roll eyes*

NICE AND RESPECTFUL TO YOUR DEAD MOM.

I'm going to have to think about it a while, but first impression is that I hated the finale of HIMYM so much it ruins much of the series for me. I know they had the ending planned for 8 years, but this should go forward as a reason why you don't plan a sitcom ending when you're not sure how many seasons you'll have. 7 years ago, the ending makes sense, today it destroys years of character development.

GasBandit

Staff member
So apparently they've moved Archer to monday nights. I don't know if this means it's doing well, or badly, though the awfulness of the first half of season 5 tends to color my assessment. However, tonight's ep was another pretty decent one. Lots of good character interaction, felt more "spy" than "vice," and of course the references and in-jokes abounded.

I'm going to have to think about it a while, but first impression is that I hated the finale of HIMYM so much it ruins much of the series for me. I know they had the ending planned for 8 years, but this should go forward as a reason why you don't plan a sitcom ending when you're not sure how many seasons you'll have. 7 years ago, the ending makes sense, today it destroys years of character development.
Couldn't watch the episode tonight, so I opted to just getting a summary.
There is definitely a lot here that could be seen as anti-character building. Barney especially, as for the last few years we start to get an idea for who he is and how he changed. Sure we absolutely loved watching him be a lady killer, but we needed to see him settle down and become a great husband in the end. And sadly he failed that with Robin and went back to the old him. Now the Robin/Ted thing I'm not entirely upset about. But I can definitely see how people would have a problem with it. It's too realistic. That's it's problem. Yes. It's a sitcom and uses a lot of sitcom logic, but they hit reality right on the nose when they point out that love is very complicated. Eternal true love is kind of that movie/tv thing that audiences expect. But the idea of Ted falling in love with the mother, who dies, and then rekindles the love he had for Robin isn't really that unbelievable. Is it what we wanted to see? Maybe not. Maybe we wanted to see Ted realize that Robin's not the one for him, and that the Mother was able to show him that good things come to those who wait. And instead we got a bit of reality.

Couldn't watch the episode tonight, so I opted to just getting a summary.
There is definitely a lot here that could be seen as anti-character building. Barney especially, as for the last few years we start to get an idea for who he is and how he changed. Sure we absolutely loved watching him be a lady killer, but we needed to see him settle down and become a great husband in the end. And sadly he failed that with Robin and went back to the old him. Now the Robin/Ted thing I'm not entirely upset about. But I can definitely see how people would have a problem with it. It's too realistic. That's it's problem. Yes. It's a sitcom and uses a lot of sitcom logic, but they hit reality right on the nose when they point out that love is very complicated. Eternal true love is kind of that movie/tv thing that audiences expect. But the idea of Ted falling in love with the mother, who dies, and then rekindles the love he had for Robin isn't really that unbelievable. Is it what we wanted to see? Maybe not. Maybe we wanted to see Ted realize that Robin's not the one for him, and that the Mother was able to show him that good things come to those who wait. And instead we got a bit of reality.
I didn't hate it because it was "too real", I hated it because the ending essentially made the entire show one 9-year con.

fade

Staff member
So apparently they've moved Archer to monday nights. I don't know if this means it's doing well, or badly, though the awfulness of the first half of season 5 tends to color my assessment. However, tonight's ep was another pretty decent one. Lots of good character interaction, felt more "spy" than "vice," and of course the references and in-jokes abounded.
One thing I do not like about this season. To me, Archer's appeal is that he is incredibly competent at his job despite being a boob. Now they seem to have retracted some of that.

GasBandit

Staff member
One thing I do not like about this season. To me, Archer's appeal is that he is incredibly competent at his job despite being a boob. Now they seem to have retracted some of that.
But now that they're doing spy-type stuff (see 2 episodes ago) he's actually good at it again. He's a terrible coke dealer/criminal, yes. Frankly the entire 5th season up until episode 8 was a distressing disappointment. But 8 was great, and 9 and 10 have been pretty good.

I've never watched HIMYM, but just from reading about it, that finale sounds like ass garbage.

Why do some long-running shows have a hard time ending well?

<-- still pissed off at BSG.

Now kids, let me tell you the story about how I met my second choice.
I think people are really giving the episode a hard time because they think that Ted's true love was Robin the whole time. While it's true he's always had strong feelings for Robin, I think it should be noted that he's tried to make it work with Robin on several occasions, usually ending in a few tears. At the end of season 9 Ted admits to himself that he's not the right person for her, and she's not the right person for him. He moves on. This is when he meets Tracy (The mother)
Now yes the majority of the series is not even about Tracy. But it does deal a lot with the circumstances that lead to him meeting her. And the more that we've gotten to see Ted evolve, the more familiar we have been with Tracy because she's so much like him in every aspect. Make no mistake. Tracy is not "second best". Critics seems to think that the point of the story is because Ted has been pining for Robin from the day he met her. Robin became available again years before Tracy passed away, and even six years after her death Ted barely (if ever) even considered giving himself and Robin another shot. This isn't saying that Robin is "second best" either. It just means that before Tracy, Robin and Ted were not a great couple. Post Tracy... well. That remains to be seen doesn't it?
It feels like a lot of the complaints are based on the idea that you can only have one "True Love" in your life. But in my opinion I think it's fair to say that you could be devoted to a person, absolutely love them, and then for whatever reason its time for you to move on and love another. Love is complicated and I think phrases like "One true love" put higher expectations on it then deserved.

Hey kids, you know that 9-year build up to how I met your mother?

Yeah, screw her. I just want to bang Robin again.

I'm still pissed about it, honestly. If they had ended it with the two of them meeting at the train stop (even after revealing she died), I'd probably have been okay with it. But then they had to shoehorn (blue shoehorn?) the Ted/Robin thing again, which felt so goddamn forced. Not to mention how onboard and pushy his kids were about it. Which, as @Frank pointed out, makes them seem like huge jerks if you look back at the very first episode.

What's worse is how this entire season was building up to the wedding and they threw that all away in the first 10 minutes of this episode. Even worse, Barney completely regressed, nullifying all his previous character development. Though I will admit, him becoming a father was really sweet, especially his speech to the baby. Plus, they managed to take "Daddy's home" and make it not creepy.

I would've been fine with the episode if it wasn't for those last couple of minutes.

I'm not giving a "disagree" on this because this is opinion, not fact. That said, I disagree with you.

Ted and Robin were the binding characters of the series. Even though they didn't work it out while younger, they were still there for each other at the high and low points of their lives. Even when Robin was moving on with her life, Ted was there to try to make it better for her. He finally found somebody that last weekend, and had kids and finally married her. After Tracy's death, he went on being a single dad for 6 years, getting visits from Robin on occasion, but not doing (or possibly not even actively thinking about) anything to try to get back with her. The kids obviously adore her, and can see what a good couple they could be now. You can even make the case that Tracy liked Robin and made sure that she came back to the gang for her own wedding.

Barney reverting... seems to be in character for him, and his maturing when he finally had a child (and still calling the mother thirty-one) fits also. As to Barney/Robin marriage, outcome doesn't surprise me since Robin was more into her job than maintaining her relationship with Barney.

I guess we just see the events differently.

They added the rest of Batman: Brave and the Bold to netflix. I'm in the 2nd half of season two and it's surprisingly dark. I mean, I completely did not expect

For them to just strait up kill off The Doom Patrol and B'wana Beast. I mean they'd talked about how Ted Korde had died (which I like his death way more than in the comics) but to just have a super hero team all eat it at once just seemed...whoa. Ya know?

After thinking about it I realized something. Barney didn't destroy their marriage. And even though it was Robin's schedule that put a wedge between them, there were probably a lot of factors that drifted them apart. Barney didn't end the relationship because he wanted to go back to banging random chicks every night. He went back to banging chicks because he was confused and hurt after the relationship ended. The show didn't just stop caring about how far he had come. He regressed. As people do when they are hurt. He went back to the thing that made him happy all those years because the other thing that made him happy wasn't there anymore. Midlife crises?
That's when the birth of his daughter makes him realize he's been a complete idiot.

They added the rest of Batman: Brave and the Bold to netflix. I'm in the 2nd half of season two and it's surprisingly dark. I mean, I completely did not expect

For them to just strait up kill off The Doom Patrol and B'wana Beast. I mean they'd talked about how Ted Korde had died (which I like his death way more than in the comics) but to just have a super hero team all eat it at once just seemed...whoa. Ya know?
Just wait till you see "Chill of the Night". That episode would have worked in Batman: TAS.