[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

figmentPez

Staff member
The Muppets Mayhem

I'm loving this. It's classic Muppets; silly, heartfelt, lots of celebrity cameos, and most importantly it has music, something that's been missing from a lot of recent Muppet shows.

Shadow and Bone

This is some damn good fantasy. Solid characters, interesting world, a little cliched in some respects but it doesn't feel held back by them. I binged both seasons pretty fast.

it has music, something that's been missing from a lot of recent Muppet shows.
Agreed! The Muppet movie with Jason Seagle was probably the last great Muppets thing that had great music, too.

Jim Henson was a massive music fan. He took inspiration from all kinds of strange, little known places in music. And this show felt like the first time in ages where music was just as important as everything else.

figmentPez

Staff member
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel season 5

The final season of this show has been fantastic, it has really done right by the wonderful characters the show has created. If you haven't watched Maisel, you absolutely need to.

figmentPez

Staff member
Agreed! The Muppet movie with Jason Seagle was probably the last great Muppets thing that had great music, too.

Jim Henson was a massive music fan. He took inspiration from all kinds of strange, little known places in music. And this show felt like the first time in ages where music was just as important as everything else.
Speaking of the music, there's an extended version of the theme song, and it's such a fun song:

GasBandit

Staff member
I've got a plex server. On that plex server are untold hours of top rated shows and movies that people, including you guys, tell me is absolute gold.

And for some reason I can't bring myself to watch any of it. Even though I know I would love it.

Succession. Yellowjackets. Ted Lasso. Silo. Mrs. Davis. Hear great things about them. Can't bring myself to watch them.

And it's not just the new stuff. I'm probably the last guy on earth who hasn't watched Breaking Bad. Can't get started. I have wanted, forever, to finally get around to watching What We Do in the Shadows. Can't manage to start. The Last of Us, universally lauded by critics and friends alike. Can't get started.

And it was the same for LOTR:ROP, Andor, Severance, House of the Dragon, Mythic Quest, Ms Marvel, Obi Wan Kenobi, ST:SNW *and* Lower Decks *AND* Picard, Vox Machina, and more. Granted from what I hear, some of those turned out to not be so good, but I didn't know that at the time, I just let them slip, then sit. I have done ALL the work to get these in my hands, and I am not watching them.

I don't even know what I want.

I've got a plex server. On that plex server are untold hours of top rated shows and movies that people, including you guys, tell me is absolute gold.

And for some reason I can't bring myself to watch any of it. Even though I know I would love it.

Succession. Yellowjackets. Ted Lasso. Silo. Mrs. Davis. Hear great things about them. Can't bring myself to watch them.

And it's not just the new stuff. I'm probably the last guy on earth who hasn't watched Breaking Bad. Can't get started. I have wanted, forever, to finally get around to watching What We Do in the Shadows. Can't manage to start. The Last of Us, universally lauded by critics and friends alike. Can't get started.

And it was the same for LOTR:ROP, Andor, Severance, House of the Dragon, Mythic Quest, Ms Marvel, Obi Wan Kenobi, ST:SNW *and* Lower Decks *AND* Picard, Vox Machina, and more. Granted from what I hear, some of those turned out to not be so good, but I didn't know that at the time, I just let them slip, then sit. I have done ALL the work to get these in my hands, and I am not watching them.

Sounds like me.

I have a pile of anime that rivals scrooge mcducks vault in size. instead I have been walking/running because since I cant bring myself to watch anything I might as well do something.

I believe that the posibility to watch a show every time I want is what caused that I feel to lazy to start watching a new show. For me started when I had directtv and I could record any show. That device was full of movies and episodes that I never watched.

I'm probably the last guy on earth who hasn't watched Breaking Bad.
<bender_laugh_harder.gif>

Seriously, though. I'm sitting on perhaps a hundred or more movies that I haven't watched yet. Can't start. Just not driven to. Want to. Just...ehhh...

--Patrick

Honestly, I'm in the same boat. So many shows I keep hearing about, many of which Gas listed, that I'm sure I'd enjoy, but I just never get around to them. I also have not watched Breaking Bad. Actually, no, I watched the first season years ago, but it didn't grab me enough to keep going.

I have a similar problem with downloading movies, too. I'll watch a YouTube video with a list of the best of this genre of this type of story. Or I'll see someone mention a movie that sounds interesting, so I'll download it. And then I never watch it. Soon, I'll completely forget why I downloaded in the first place. So my own Plex server just keeps filling up.

I'm sorry if your viewing is interrupted by my son watching the Super Mario Bros. Movie for the 100th time.

But yeah, if it's connected to something I'm already invested in, my wife will push me, but otherwise... Same.
I have access to a whole plex server full of great movies and series, with a remarkably similar list to GB's, and I'm not watching any of it :aaah:

There just doesn't seem to be an urgency to watch something knowing you can do it whenever. I "legally acquired" Poker Face recently & I'm 4 episodes in. The thing is that after I downloaded it, it started being shown on broadcast TV. That's where I've watched the 4 episodes - the downloads would be better due to the lack of ad breaks, but whenever I think of watching a download it's always "no, I can do that whenever, I'll do something else instead" whereas TV gives a structure - I need to sit down & watch this now.

Similarly if I'm watching something on streaming or downloaded its usually because a podcast I listen to is doing an episode on it & I need to watch it first to avoid spoilers.

Strangely I don't get this with video games or reading as much. It's mainly just TV shows & movies that I can't muster up the motivation for.

There just doesn't seem to be an urgency to watch something knowing you can do it whenever. I "legally acquired" Poker Face recently & I'm 4 episodes in. The thing is that after I downloaded it, it started being shown on broadcast TV. That's where I've watched the 4 episodes - the downloads would be better due to the lack of ad breaks, but whenever I think of watching a download it's always "no, I can do that whenever, I'll do something else instead" whereas TV gives a structure - I need to sit down & watch this now.
^THIS. The only thing that really motivates me to jump on a show lately is if I'm worried about internet spoilers. Otherwise, unlike growing up where if you didn't see it the first time it aired, you might not ever get to see it again, there's nothing to make you watch right away.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's sure not a problem for my Dad, though... he just sent me his monthly review of the 16 things he watched on my plex server and a request for another 15 things I didn't have.

Also he's the only guy I know who isn't enamored with Everything Everywhere All at Once. He rated it 2 stars, said he tried to watch it 3 times and fell asleep all three times.

Alas, to be old and have a calcified brain.

It's sure not a problem for my Dad, though... he just sent me his monthly review of the 16 things he watched on my plex server and a request for another 15 things I didn't have.

Also he's the only guy I know who isn't enamored with Everything Everywhere All at Once. He rated it 2 stars, said he tried to watch it 3 times and fell asleep all three times.

Alas, to be old and have a calcified brain.
Are they all procedurals? My mom spent almost my entire life not watching TV and now that she remarried her and me stepfather have gone through so many procedurals. Now they’re watching through Bones.

GasBandit

Staff member
Are they all procedurals? My mom spent almost my entire life not watching TV and now that she remarried her and me stepfather have gone through so many procedurals. Now they’re watching through Bones.
Heh, I don't think my folks have watched a procedural since NYPD Blue was actually airing live. He's all over the place, everything from I, Claudius to Yellowjackets, from The Killers (1946) to Glass Onion. He sends me short reviews with "star" ratings, and I notice that nothing ever gets more than 3 stars that he didn't already see on VHS and like back in the day.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm a Virgo

This is a weird one. It's a coming of age story about a 13 foot tall black teenager, with a lot of superhero tropes, and a very clumsy deconstruction of them. It's awkward, and very ham fisted at times, but it's also very earnest and has some fun visuals. I enjoyed it, but I could easily see others finding it obnoxious.