[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Bodies

I wanted to like this. The general premise of identical, or near-identical, dead bodies being found at the same place in four different times, somehow connected, and the unfolding mystery of what's going on, sounds like a good premise to me. It's just so boring though. Three episodes down and I do not care about a single character. Most of them I couldn't tell you anything significant about their personality. They feel like cardboard cut-outs to me, and I have zero investment in anyone. I find them more annoying than engaging.
That's unfortunate.

I loved the series.

However it may have been more the mystery unfolding and the setting(s) which kept me invested rather than any particularly strong character work.

DAMN good episode of Rick & Morty. By far the best one in a long while. Kinda surprised this wasn't the season finale because it sure felt like it.

Spoilers for Season 7, Episode 5: Unmortricken.

Welp, Rick Prime is dead and our Rick feels...hollow about it. I had a feeling that would happen the moment he walked out the door drenched in blood. I'm curious to see where they take things next.

DAMN good episode of Rick & Morty. By far the best one in a long while. Kinda surprised this wasn't the season finale because it sure felt like it.

Spoilers for Season 7, Episode 5: Unmortricken.

Welp, Rick Prime is dead and our Rick feels...hollow about it. I had a feeling that would happen the moment he walked out the door drenched in blood. I'm curious to see where they take things next.
Yeah a lot of stories just make stuff like that the end of closure point, but that they're focusing on the after can be really interesting.

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters

Two episodes in and I'm hooked. It's very character driven and I like the characters and the mystery they've built up around Monarch. The story jumps between the 1950s (when Monarch is founded) and just after 2014's Godzilla. They're all new characters except for Bill Randa (John Goodman's character in Kong: Skull Island). We meet a younger Bill (Anders Holm) in the 1950s and John Goodman does a short flashback to the events on Skull Island in the 1970s. The two eras are tied together by Lee Shaw, played by Wyatt & Kurt Russell.

While having seen the Monsterverse movies would help (just knowing how Monarch relates to the events), I don't think it's essential to know all the lore. There were some details I missed just because I hadn't seen the previous movies in a while, and while they gave me an "Ah-ha!" moment when reading reviews, they weren't necessary to enjoy the show. I'm definitely going to give all the movies a re-watch, though!

I just saw the Fallout teaser. It might be good. Then I saw the comments on social media. There were so many sexist pigs wailing that their favorite video series had “gone woke” because it featured a female protagonist.

I get the feeling that those dweebs spent most of their school days either getting stuffed inside their lockers or getting their asses kicked. Not because they’re nerdy, but because they have utterly repellent personalities.

They know you can actually play as a woman, right? So it's canon to the game.
Woke has meant having a character of a race besides white or a female character that does anything more than defer to the white male hero for awhile now.

It's very weird.

Dave

Staff member
A guy at my work uses the word "woke" several times a day as a pejorative. I asked him what woke meant. He said "inclusive". But could not explain why that was a bad thing.

I think "woke" today is what "SJW" was ten years ago and what "PC" was in the '90s. It's anything that makes an especially awful breed of white people uneasy because they might face consequences for being openly bigoted.

Here is what I have noticed about particular fandoms that use "woke" as a pejorative.

Lord of the Rings - Obsessive pedants who see any deviation from source material as an existential threat to "the Professor's" legacy. They really hate brown elves.
Star Wars - They're even worse obsessive pedants. Apparently Star Wars is the Walking Dead universe and only one black man can exist at a time.
Marvel - Incels who cannot stand the fact that girls are enjoying something like Captain Marvel without their permission.

Whichever fandom they're in, I'm pretty sure these trolls never held onto their lunch money after 10 am at school. I'm embarrassed to admit it but I spent some time as a bully in elementary school. Eight-year-old me would have had a grand old time throwing them around.

A guy at my work uses the word "woke" several times a day as a pejorative. I asked him what woke meant. He said "inclusive". But could not explain why that was a bad thing.
I assume "woke" would be the word used to describe Adam after taking a bite of the fruit of the Tree. He took that bite, now he's "woke," look at him clothing his nakedness, what a chump, I would never cover my nakedness, I like the breeze it's so liberating and free...

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
The Librarians

A 2014 series that I stumbled across randomly. It's thoroughly mediocre, and the cast is wasted by poor writing. On the plus side Lindy Booth is hot, and Alicia Witt shows up as well.

figmentPez

Staff member
It was a fun show.
The first season has some some great concepts, I just think the characters are poorly written. The actors are good to great, but Lindy Booth's character, especially, is kinda obnoxious. I'll probably continue on to at least another season; sometimes campy, cheesy science fiction is more fun than it is good.

Twisted Metal

Outside of renting TW: Black one weekend, I never cared for the games. I wasn't interested in watching this, but I saw a few people on Twitter whose opinions I respect praise it. And I have Amazon Prime (with Paramount for now), so I thought, what the heck.

And I dug the HECK out of it. Anthony Mackie is clearly having a blast in the role and he has amazing chemistry with Stephanie Beatriz. Then you have pro-wrestler Samoa freaking Joe playing the physical part of Sweet Tooth, with Will Arnett voicing, combining to create hilarious but terrifying character.

The car action is top notch most times. There's a few spots where a car moves or spins far too fast, and it's clearly CG, but it's rare and didn't really spoil it enough for me.

In some ways, it's almost like a black comedy version of The Last of Us, and I kind of wish they leaned more on the ridiculousness than the grittiness. It's hyper-violent at points like something you'd see out of The Boys.

But damn if it didn't sell me after just the first episode and keep me hooked to the end. I think the shorter episodes helped so it didn't overstay its welcome. They're only about 30 minutes long.

I...wanted to get into this. I spotted on @GasBandit's Plex server and gave it a try.

Unfortunately, there are some shows or movies where I feel subtitles help me keep my attention. This was one of them. And whatever encoding I could find for subtitles was either subpar or badly out of sync to the point that I couldn't really get into this. No fault of the show itself, which seemed interesting enough. And no fault on Gas, since he just uploaded the files. This is more on whoever is in charge of getting good subtitles up on Plex.

I...wanted to get into this. I spotted on @GasBandit's Plex server and gave it a try.

Unfortunately, there are some shows or movies where I feel subtitles help me keep my attention. This was one of them. And whatever encoding I could find for subtitles was either subpar or badly out of sync to the point that I couldn't really get into this. No fault of the show itself, which seemed interesting enough. And no fault on Gas, since he just uploaded the files. This is more on whoever is in charge of getting good subtitles up on Plex.
As someone who watches almost everything with subtitles (wife's English is good but not good enough to follow stuff when there's background noise etc), Plex really allows for easy adjustment of out of sync subs these days. Used to be much harder, but depending on how/where you're watching (app, browser, whatever) it's really just a few clicks away.

Dave

Staff member
Reacher is a god damned masterpiece of a show that is only getting better. They FINALLY got the character right. Tom Cruise is a great actor, but he isn't and never could be Reacher.

Reacher is a god damned masterpiece of a show that is only getting better. They FINALLY got the character right. Tom Cruise is a great actor, but he isn't and never could be Reacher.
That's good to know. The first season started strong and then just fell into really terrible 80's movie cliches by the end. I had recommended it to other people based on the first couple episodes, and then was embarrassed to have done so by the finale.

Well, you know, in the books Reacher is 6'5", where Tom Cruise is closer to what would happen if you flipped those two digits ;)

Dave

Staff member
What's funny is they have tied the show and movies together. I'm not really spoiling anything big but in episode 2 they reference Barnes - the guy tagged as the shooter in the first movie with Cruise. Reacher in the show says he ran into him and Barnes owes him, acknowledging the fact that he helped exonerate him.

What's funny is they have tied the show and movies together. I'm not really spoiling anything big but in episode 2 they reference Barnes - the guy tagged as the shooter in the first movie with Cruise. Reacher in the show says he ran into him and Barnes owes him, acknowledging the fact that he helped exonerate him.
Well, the movies and the show are all based on various parts of the 28 or so novels written about the character. So I just read that as the series acknowledging the source material more than it was acknowledging the movies.