[Funny] Texans eating Finnish food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deep fried candy bars would probably be it, but that doesn't even come close to the gut-renchingness of surstromming - at least not in theory.

At least it smells good before you eat it. I can't comment on the taste, as I don't really eat much in the way of fried stuff. Hell, I'm practically a heretic down here, because I've never had a funnel cake.

Deep fried candy bars would probably be it, but that doesn't even come close to the gut-renchingness of surstromming - at least not in theory.

At least it smells good before you eat it. I can't comment on the taste, as I don't really eat much in the way of fried stuff. Hell, I'm practically a heretic down here, because I've never had a funnel cake.
Deep fried chocolate bars are delicious. You shut your whore mouth.

I mean.... I think you are mistaken and perhaps they deserve a second chance
...officer.

Dude, all I know is that regular fried stuff, while delicious, leaves me feeling kinda greasy.

Deep-fried candy bars.... well, maybe if I'd just made a big pot bust or something like that....

Anyway... I think the Scots actually did that before you'Muricans (and way before us. I think Calgarians were the first t do it here. And they're our Texas.)

I saw Andrew Zimmern try it on Bizzare Foods. I think the only other thing I have seen him try that you could tell he was disgusted by was durian fruit.
Oh god Durian. I forgot Durian. Durian is gross. It smells like a dead rat wrapped in a fruit peel. Tastes like it too.

Had a guest over for dinner from Africa (no, I don't remember which part...) who tried out cottage cheese and found it to be quite disgusting.

I can't think of any gross Canadian foods.
Prairie Oysters. I have no idea where you can order one, but they exist.

Canadians don't have any mainstream gross foods like some other countries do. Our mainstream national dish is awesome: Poutine. Montreal, your smoked meat had it for a long time, but Poutine took the country by storm. Soon, the WORLD! MWHAHHAHahaahaha!!!!!

Sorry, been playing a lot of Monkey Island lately. Was channeling Murray there a bit. ;)

Wahad gave me Hollandse nieuwe when I visited the Netherlands. It's raw herring that's been gutted and de-boned, and kept on ice. To make it more appetizing, they put raw onions on it. You grab the tail, and drop it into your mouth, biting off everything in one go (at least, he did, so I did likewise). Holy. Christ.

I had never wanted to throw up from eating something before that, and I choked it down, but dear lord. I tried it, like you say, just to say I had, but damn damn damn. I won't forget that experience, or Wahad's bursting into laughter at my expression. It was worth it.
Good times, good times. Definitely worth it.

Prairie Oysters. I have no idea where you can order one, but they exist.

Canadians don't have any mainstream gross foods like some other countries do. Our mainstream national dish is awesome: Poutine. Montreal, your smoked meat had it for a long time, but Poutine took the country by storm. Soon, the WORLD! MWHAHHAHahaahaha!!!!!

Sorry, been playing a lot of Monkey Island lately. Was channeling Murray there a bit. ;)
As HCGLNS mentioned, I think ours would be the Sour Toe Cocktail, even though who among us has actually tried that?

As HCGLNS mentioned, I think ours would be the Sour Toe Cocktail, even though who among us has actually tried that?
I don't think that counts. Pickle anything in alcohol long enough and it ceases to lend anything to the alcohol of itself.

Not sure that Rocky Mountain oysters would be a big deal since a number of countries eat the various reproductive bits of a variety of animals.

Pickled pigs feet, boudain, Pickled Spicy Sausage (the worst thing that I ever ate), sucking crawfish heads, sardines...

Menudo, Barbacoa, Lengua...

Not sure that Rocky Mountain oysters would be a big deal since a number of countries eat the various reproductive bits of a variety of animals.
I'm not claiming uniqueness, only that a Canadian dish that's absolutely disgusting does actually exist.

Or at least the idea of it is horrid. The dish may be 100% fine. I dunno.

GasBandit

Staff member
Probably what american food horrifies other nationalities most is fairly boring - our "heart attack" line of fried grease bombs. You know.. like the double down or the Quadruple Bypass Burger

Those buns are donuts.

Pickled pigs feet, boudain, Pickled Spicy Sausage (the worst thing that I ever ate), sucking crawfish heads, sardines...

Menudo, Barbacoa, Lengua...
Whatever is wrong with sardines?

I mean, all those other things are delicious as well (excepting the pickled spicy sausage and crawfish heads, I've never had those so I can't judge), but I don't see whatever sardines did to get put in the in the ''offal'' category.

Probably what american food horrifies other nationalities most is fairly boring - our "heart attack" line of fried grease bombs. You know.. like the double down or the Quadruple Bypass Burger
The Double Down is bad, but there is worse...

Marmite and natto are more "love it or hate it" than downright nasty. I will have either one and come back for seconds. :)

Wahad, to the uninitiated they are foul and have a strong odor. You know, stuff you have to eat first on a dare...
You must get terrible sardines. That makes me sad. :( I forget not everybody has the luxury of living near the coast where fish is fresh all the time, unless you eat at a terrible locale.

figmentPez

Staff member
If any of you ever visit Finland around Easter, I wholeheartedly recommend you try this. It tastes good with milk and cream, and this Easter I tried it with vanilla sauce for the first time. It was excellent.
Okay, but what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.