The Awesome Videos Thread (with Extra Sauce!)

Yeah, same here... Red Green (Saturdays at 10PM!), Red Dwarf, Dr. Who, Monty Python... WOSU got all the great imports. We were also a PBS Family, so we also watched all the great kids stuff like Square One, Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego, and Ghost Writer.

The PBS station in Colorado Springs thought it was exceedingly clever by airing Red Green back to back with Red Dwarf, which is how I came to discover Red Green.

It didn't click with me that it was Canadian for years, I just thought it was, like.... extremely northern Wisconsin or Montana or something.
Something something bigger in Texas something.

How about a big ol dump of 90s TV intros?
What surprises me is not how many I didn't watch, or even how many I wanted to watch but never did, but how many I just flat out don't recognize and didn't know the existence of until going through this. And I don't just mean the Irish or Australian ones.

Bonus points for including Cleopatra 2525, but minus points for not also including Jack of All Trades.

--Patrick

TIL Ryan Gosling and Heath Ledger both starred in a fantasy tv series. I wonder if there's any other stars starting out in there, but I only made it about a quarter of the way through the list. Did see Josh Brolin in Young Riders, I think I used to watch that one when I was little.

I feel like most everyone but Bill Murray was doing some kind of Lorenzo Music impression.
You know the funniest part of this statement? Lorenzo Music was hired to do a Bill Murray impression as Dr. Venkman on The Real Ghostbusters. And the characters sound almost identical. When I was a kid, I noticed immediately that Garfield and animated!Venkman sounded exactly alike. So, the question is, was Garfield's voice always a Bill Murray impression, and when they actually hired Bill Murray, he just had to be himself?

You know the funniest part of this statement? Lorenzo Music was hired to do a Bill Murray impression as Dr. Venkman on The Real Ghostbusters. And the characters sound almost identical. When I was a kid, I noticed immediately that Garfield and animated!Venkman sounded exactly alike. So, the question is, was Garfield's voice always a Bill Murray impression, and when they actually hired Bill Murray, he just had to be himself?
The circle is complete.

I don't know if I'd call this an awesome or funny video, but I wasn't sure where else I could post this. Anyway, I was suddenly reminded of this animated short from Cineplex that played during the holiday season a few years ago.

And...maybe it's just me, but I always found this story disturbing. If you haven't seen it, maybe watch it first before reading what I have to say.

They'd lock up this snowman for months on end, who clearly didn't go to sleep or "shut down," only to let it out so they could make it play a movie for them. And then let it sit for several years, only to let it out of captivity again to serve them.

It plays out as this sentimental thing, about sharing movies, but this whole time, this snowman is locked up like a prisoner and let out once a year to play movies in the backyard.

Reactions: Cat
I don't know if I'd call this an awesome or funny video, but I wasn't sure where else I could post this. Anyway, I was suddenly reminded of this animated short from Cineplex that played during the holiday season a few years ago.

And...maybe it's just me, but I always found this story disturbing. If you haven't seen it, maybe watch it first before reading what I have to say.

They'd lock up this snowman for months on end, who clearly didn't go to sleep or "shut down," only to let it out so they could make it play a movie for them. And then let it sit for several years, only to let it out of captivity again to serve them.

It plays out as this sentimental thing, about sharing movies, but this whole time, this snowman is locked up like a prisoner and let out once a year to play movies in the backyard.

I had the same thought when this came out a few years ago. It has this tear-jerking sentimental soundtrack but is just a horror film. "I have no mouth and I must mime films."

Been trying to think of a good guild name. So far I have "What Happened To Your Queer Party Friends?" "Gay Fucking Shit" and "Fuck It, Things Suck"

GasBandit

Staff member
I think the best guild name I ever had, was the Villain supergroup I started in City of Heroes/Villains. Granted I stole it from Ray Stevens, but, when we were around, we got lots of comments on our tags over our heads because we had the longest supergroup name around.

<The 43rd Annual Convention of the Grand Mystic Royal Order of the Nobles of the Ali Baba Temple of the Shrine>

I think the best guild name I ever had, was the Villain supergroup I started in City of Heroes/Villains. Granted I stole it from Ray Stevens, but, when we were around, we got lots of comments on our tags over our heads because we had the longest supergroup name around.

<The 43rd Annual Convention of the Grand Mystic Royal Order of the Nobles of the Ali Baba Temple of the Shrine>
Was your base "The Motel"? :p

Pretty nice that you could use a name that long lol

GasBandit

Staff member
Pretty nice that you could use a name that long lol
I actually wanted to spell out "Forty Third" but turns out there actually WAS a character limit, it was just ridiculously long.

People complained that panning their cameras made our villains look like helicopters because of the way the nametag spun over our heads.

Reactions: Cat
I actually wanted to spell out "Forty Third" but turns out there actually WAS a character limit, it was just ridiculously long.

People complained that panning their cameras made our villains look like helicopters because of the way the nametag spun over our heads.
When I played city of heroes, I had to reroll my first character. Not because it was a bad build, but because I'd used the gaelic word for lightning. I never got invited to groups because nobody could freaking spell my name right when trying to invite me, and they'd just give up.