The Awesome Videos Thread (with Extra Sauce!)

figmentPez

Staff member
and here I am having my packages held at the post office/UPS/FEDEX store like some sort of caveman!
Well, there is some advancement, mostly because of tech. My apartment complex recently put in a package delivery center that has a whole bunch of electronically controlled lockers for packages. When I get a delivery I'm sent a code via email and text, which I enter at a terminal, which then pops open the correct locker. I think the Amazon delivery lockers that have started popping up all over operate in a similar manner.

But make no mistake, this "better" system only exists because it's cheaper for the delivery companies than having people sign for packages (and maybe even faster than delivering to doorsteps, period). It's not because it's better for consumers.

figmentPez

Staff member
The same guy who created a "real" Venom suit has done it again, this time with real Spider-Man like climbing technology. The end result is honestly incredible. With further refinement, I could see this tech having some incredible, real world applications.

It's impressive how compact the system he designed is, but I think it's a little unfair to not point out that a lot of the bulkier climbing stuff he scoffs at was made 10-15+ years ago. There's been a huge increase in battery power density since then. The "gekkomat" was working around 2003 or earlier (though the earliest video I could find was 2007, which doesn't really do much to date things, since YouTube started in 2005), and it required compressed air tanks to power the suction cups. However, in addition to not having modern batteries, part of the bulk of the system was that it was designed to carry up to 1,000kg in weight. This wasn't just a Spider-Man simulator toy, it was designed for doing work. Which is also why the Gekkomat has the user standing on the feet suction devices. I can only imagine how exhausted JLaservideo was after his climb, having to crawl with limited range of motion, and not able to use his full legs to press up on each step.

What JLaservideo did was impressive, I just think he made a low blow when he dismissed his predecessors.

It's impressive how compact the system he designed is, but I think it's a little unfair to not point out that a lot of the bulkier climbing stuff he scoffs at was made 10-15+ years ago. There's been a huge increase in battery power density since then. The "gekkomat" was working around 2003 or earlier (though the earliest video I could find was 2007, which doesn't really do much to date things, since YouTube started in 2005), and it required compressed air tanks to power the suction cups. However, in addition to not having modern batteries, part of the bulk of the system was that it was designed to carry up to 1,000kg in weight. This wasn't just a Spider-Man simulator toy, it was designed for doing work. Which is also why the Gekkomat has the user standing on the feet suction devices. I can only imagine how exhausted JLaservideo was after his climb, having to crawl with limited range of motion, and not able to use his full legs to press up on each step.

What JLaservideo did was impressive, I just think he made a low blow when he dismissed his predecessors.
I see what you mean, but I think his dismissal was more the size of them. He was trying to make them as small as possible, which he definitely succeeded. In the video you linked, the equipment they use is still pretty bulky by comparison. Although, I see your point about that it was used to carry up to 1,000kg, as well.

I play upright bass, and can't do over half the stuff this guy just did. The playing with gloves on is what really got me.

GasBandit

Staff member
Just in case anybody slept on Kaizo Trap, since it came around in my recommendations again.

It's just a pity that since annotations don't work any more, all the easter eggs and alternate endings aren't there to click on any more.

figmentPez

Staff member

My first thought was "Why is there a motor on the car of a roller coaster?", then the video explained that it's a computer controlled motor so that the model can run at scale speeds.

Skip to 17:20 if you just want to see the thing run.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think I stopped watching that channel after that ridiculousness where they tried to copyright "React" and DMCA anyone who used the term. I think that's how it went, anyway.
I never removed them from my updates, but the signal to noise ratio on content I actually wanted to watch has been abysmal for a long time. "College kids react to College kid flash-in-the-pan mediocre musician" doesn't get me wanting to click.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've been a big fan of "Irish people try" and "Tribal people try" channels for a while.
I've been on the Irish bandwagon for forever, even going back to the previous channel they were on.

And Mustafa is my soul animal.

"God knows what is in it." "This is a poor imitation of the (thing) we make in my village."

Dan Olson, incredibly talented escapee of the nonsense Channel Awesome bullshit (and good Albertan boy too) just put out a new video on NFTs. His videos are excellent. I spent a quarter of my workday today watching this today.